Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft in one single patch is now top #1 MMO in the world

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
WoW is back to being top #1 MMO in the world in terms of how amazing the gameplay is compared to other MMOs. Its modern, but still a challenge and takes effort like it did in vanilla/BC/WOTLK

In one single patch, they made the game back to a very classic WoW feel when leveling. It takes effort to level. The mobs are hard to fight, dungeons are finally a challenge again (now people need to work together instead of going LOLing through the dungeon) and raids are very hard as they should be.

They heard the cries of millions wanting a challenge again in WoW, where it was like Classic (and BC/WOTLK) style gameplay. Now no longer do you run around 1 hitting things with your brain turned off, now you gotta actually play the game...even with heirlooms (which have been nerfed finally)

Blizzard succeeded in not just bringing me back...but now no longer wanting to play any other MMO like I was doing since Cataclysm. 

Never had so much fun in WoW since vanilla/BC/WOTLK

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

pantarokillerqueerdenitersomeforumguyRockinw311MrMelGibsonEponyxDamorjosko9JemAs666Moiraeand 4 others.

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    WoW is back to being top #1 MMO in the world in terms of how amazing the gameplay is compared to other MMOs. Its modern, but still a challenge and takes effort like it did in vanilla/BC/WOTLK

In one single patch, they made the game back to a very classic WoW feel when leveling. It takes effort to level. The mobs are hard to fight, dungeons are finally a challenge again (now people need to work together instead of going LOLing through the dungeon) and raids are very hard as they should be.

They heard the cries of millions wanting a challenge again in WoW, where it was like Classic (and BC/WOTLK) style gameplay. Now no longer do you run around 1 hitting things with your brain turned off, now you gotta actually play the game...even with heirlooms (which have been nerfed finally)

Blizzard succeeded in not just bringing me back...but now no longer wanting to play any other MMO like I was doing since Cataclysm. 

And here I was thinking there would be a proper link to some site voting it number one due to level scaling or something, but just another personal opinion.
    pantaroMrMelGibsonSinsai[Deleted User]
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    They oiled the wheels on the loot treadmill? Did they raise the ilvl to so you can do the samething again for the same gear?
    pantaroZenJelly
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    I actually played my trial account only a few hours ago. I found cheap looking, over produced modern MMO with staged events screaming 'click me, get your reward, move on' in every corner. It took me longer to uninstall the game than i could stomach to spend in game.

Now i'm back in vanilla and everything is fine again.
    Ricardo5802MrMelGibsondelete5230
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    To be clear, Vanilla WoW was never challenging.  I remember leveling to something like 38 before my first death when the game came out?  And that was just because I fell asleep at the keyboard when running a dungeon causing a group wipe. 

This game was designed from the beginning to be very easy, let's not pretend it was ever difficult.
    BruceYeeMrMelGibsonkitaradNyghthowlerTheocritusSinsaiBillMurphyklash2def
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Luiden said:
    To be clear, Vanilla WoW was never challenging.  I remember leveling to something like 38 before my first death when the game came out?  And that was just because I fell asleep at the keyboard when running a dungeon causing a group wipe. 

This game was designed from the beginning to be very easy, let's not pretend it was ever difficult.
    it really depends on class in classic wow - hunters for example were faceroll.  leveling priests was a pain as was warrior at times
    MrMelGibsonZenJellyTintagilPsym0nSinsaiBillMurphy
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Luiden said:

It depends what you compare it to. Compared to any game made in the 90s then no. Compared to the difficulty of MMOs today then yes.

Still, people died while leveling, some died a lot. Yes, you could level up to max level without dying even in games like EQ if you were good enough but you have to agree that dying when leveling have gotten rarer and rarer through the years, in modern games you have to play poorly indeed to die while leveling up unless you die of falling damage (which is clumsy but probably not really poorly).

I have my doubts about how much difficulty they have increased by the last patch, they have to had increased it a lot to make leveling interesting for me.
    MrMelGibson
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    deniter said:
    I actually played my trial account only a few hours ago. I found cheap looking, over produced modern MMO with staged events screaming 'click me, get your reward, move on' in every corner. It took me longer to uninstall the game than i could stomach to spend in game.

Now i'm back in vanilla and everything is fine again.
    And this is the point. Far too much has changed the game from it's origins to simply increase difficulty as a cure all. This change is for their current audience only because it truly is what they need despite all the crying against it.

This only proves, once again, what I have said for well over a decade now:

Developers can ONLY design based on concept and if that game attracts an audience you MUST stick with that concept or face the dissolution of product and audience identity.

Blizzard tried to please everyone and lost control of their own project. You nurture the concept and NOT the people for it is not their game, it's the developer's game. It is like a parent who only tries to be a friend to their child instead of actually parenting and telling them what's best. An audience as a whole is like a child ... they must be told what's important and not coddled.

You stay sassy!

• MilkbzyMilkbzy Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Luiden said:

Vanilla just required you to be more careful pulling mobs and had more downtime.  You were also more likely to be attacked in world Pvp.  

WoW was always designed for players to rush through the leveling process to reach the more challenging end game content.  
    4getting2009
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

What you wrote is probably how I'll feel about classic when it comes out for 2-3 months.
    TheScavenger
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    BruceYee said:

What you wrote is probably how I'll feel about classic when it comes out for 2-3 months.
    Yeah, I'm super excited for Classic as well. Classic WoW was the first MMO to actually get me seriously hooked and not play any other game or another MMO. I tried dozens and dozens of MMOs before WoW, and none hooked me like it did.

I've liked some MMOs since...namely Black Desert Online, GW2 and ESO are ones I like quite a bit. But not as much as I did Classic WoW. I think those three are only MMOs I've played for over a year and still enjoy, besides WoW. I've tried pretty much every other MMO out there and stop playing within a month lol.

The new patch is still awesome though, while not Classic, the challenge is there and it has a definite Classic feel to it.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Luiden said:

That can be said about any MMORPG. Even more so if it uses tab based combat. In a MMORPG there will be challenge in PVP and in trying to herd a bunch of cats in dungeon/raid.

Big sign should already be that you can look up guides on how to make your character kind of OP compared to what the devs intended. It is a button for easy mode and leads to the never ending nerf cycles.
    immodium
  • shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105

Yeah, tragic that in 2018 we might miss the rest of the zone levelling and might miss out on collecting 20 rat tails in a spot we have been to ten times already. But hey... you did it years ago, so it must be good for today's gamers.... yawn.
  • josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited January 2018
    Haha WoW is pretty much a faceroll even after the patch, besides it's not like that makes the game any better, it's just more of a grind through the pointless boring content. It will get nerfed by the next month either way.

WoW is still a decade behind modern MMOs, and that won't change until Blizzard either develops a normal engine, or WoW 2.
    edited January 2018
    josko9 said:
    Haha WoW is pretty much a faceroll even after the patch, besides it's not like that makes the game any better, it's just more of a grind through the pointless boring content. It will get nerfed by the next month either way.

WoW is still a decade behind modern MMOs, and that won't change until Blizzard either develops a normal engine, or WoW 2.
    yeah, if you never liked WoW even classic probably wouldn't be your thing since the difficulty is pretty similar now. Luckily there are lots of other MMOs out there :) 

Really though, every MMO has a pointless grind. FFXIV has a pointless grind. GW2. EVE you gotta grind for ISK only to lose said ISK to being killed eventually. ESO. And every MMO ends eventually, some longer than others...but when they do all your work and time was pointless and ended up as meaning nothing.
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibson

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    edited January 2018
    Congrats?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2018
    Calling a game good because you THINK they made 1% of the entire content great again,is a strong fallacy.
    A mmorpg and it's adventure is NOT inside of dungeons and raids,end of story.questing has ALWAYS been super easy in WOW and EASY rewards and EASY xp.So yeah it doesn't matter at what juncture of the design you aim for,it has always been EASY.
    I do not condone instance raid content at all but if i was to talk about it,FFXI raids would likely make Wow raids look sadly weak.Matter of FACT there are some normal out in the open world mobs that could WIPE a group of the very best players in Wow until of course they learned what the mobs can do and how to play around them.

So yeah Wow has NEVER been good at anything really ,unless of course you think simple easy xp rewards is a good way to discover a ROLE playing experience,i would surely hope not.
    You also do NOT ever need to communicate with the worlds npc's .all you do is vee line for the yellow markers over their heads,you could in essence remove those npc and accomplish the same thing.Then of course the added hand holding EASY mode markers on your maps,really a sad hand holding design.
    deniterpantaroMrMelGibsonkb4blu

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336

Luiden said:

That can be said about any MMORPG. Even more so if it uses tab based combat. In a MMORPG there will be challenge in PVP and in trying to herd a bunch of cats in dungeon/raid.

Big sign should already be that you can look up guides on how to make your character kind of OP compared to what the devs intended. It is a button for easy mode and leads to the never ending nerf cycles.
    No it can't, I invite you to play DAOC and pull 2 mobs level 5 at once and let me know how that goes for you.  In pretty much any of the old MMORPGs you had to put some thought into what you were doing.  WoW was the first game that came out that made it some a blind monkey could play the game.. it's partly why for so many years people were claiming that WoW killed MMORPGs even though so many people were playing it.

On another note, I installed BDO tonight just to see what it was about.  If I were to say Vanilla WoW was never challenging, then BDO has taken it to an entire new universe.  I leveled from 1 to 15 in under an hour.. and to be honest it wasn't until level 11 that I realized I was even leveling.  Not once did I have to upgrade gear, or even get gear.  I was getting new abilities that I basically just ignored, I didn't need them.. I was just using my starter abilities at level 15.  I could not die, I seriously could not get my health below 75% no matter how many mobs I pulled.

Is this really what MMORPGs have become?  It's disgusting, we need to stop calling these games MMORPGs and start calling them made for 5 year olds trash.
    pantarowanderica
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Thanks for the click bait.
    Hariken
  • MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318

Just no. Absolutely not. 
    pantaro
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I'll believe that when they start publishing subscription numbers again.
    Wizardry said:
    So yeah Wow has NEVER been good at anything really ,unless of course you think simple easy xp rewards is a good way to discover a ROLE playing experience,i would surely hope not.

WOW was very good at the time in comparison to other MMOs that all had terrible design choices of some kind.  Leveling was streamlined but still not simple for many classes/builds.

Alterac Valley was 8+ hours of back and forth on my server every friday night.

The music and zones were very immersive for me at the time.  Something I never got from the visual disaster that was EQ or the dated UO.
    MrMelGibson
    I don't understand why they would scale old raids or dungeons for people that want to solo farm them.  I think that's very shortsighted and they should atleast provide the option to descale them.
    TheScavengerSavageHorizonwandericaangerbeaverMrMelGibson
    I don't understand why they would scale old raids or dungeons for people that want to solo farm them.  I think that's very shortsighted and they should atleast provide the option to descale them.
    I guess tomorrow's patch they are going through all old raids (and dungeons too I think) to nerf the buffs they did. A bunch of bug fixes too. Gonna be a huge fix patch, since that is one thing I should say...this patch is as buggy as cataclysm was at release lol. Its pretty bad as far as bugs go.

Archaeology is bugged too. And supposedly the alchemy quest line in Legion is bugged too, but I haven't tried that yet just read about it.

Not to mention, I tried doing one of the raids and it was laggy as hell when usually its not even an issue lol...they are supposedly fixing that tomorrow too.

Don't think they listen to the beta forums lol. Cause all the problems were posted in huge threads in the beta forums and they made it to release.

• PelagatoPelagato Member UncommonPosts: 673
    I heard that now the game zones adapt to your level, so you no longer out level a place and make it obsolete... Its like gw2, all the real state in the game is relevant???

Can someone confirm me that... because if that is true... I feel like playing WoW again after so many years!!!!
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    Yep, it s awesome again, was good, now awesome.
    WalkinGlenn