Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Get a Good Look at the Assassin's Powers and Effects - Crowfall Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited January 2018 in Videos Discussion

imageGet a Good Look at the Assassin's Powers and Effects - Crowfall Videos - MMORPG.com

Crowfall's Thomas Blair has sent out a new video to show off the powers and effects of the Assassin class. As expected, Assassin's are magicians with positional combat and feature variation during battle depending whether they're in front of or behind the enemy.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2018
    Um....everything about it is WoW's rogue though, animations included except for like 2? I mean, I know almost every warrior in a game has a charge and almost every mage in a game has a fire/ice specialization, but this pretty much lacks any form of trying to be original other than a couple of names. Just being honest.
    JamesGoblinneiruliusspeedylegs8Alleincolera1333
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    ''Assassin's are magicians''

Wot the fok did ye just say to me mate?
    JamesGoblinpantaroaRtFuLThinGSiphaedspeedylegs8wingood
  • neiruliusneirulius Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited January 2018
    This kit seems...weirdly familiar. Like I've already played it for 3 or so years.
    bcbullyJamesGoblinAlomar
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

neirulius said:

This kit seems...weirdly familiar. Like I've already played it for 3 or so years.

Yea, backstab/sneak attack? Check.

Poisons? Check.

Annnndddddd, that's about all we know for sure. The magician thing piques the interest, but it's never expounded upon or even mentioned on the class page. Maybe the video has more details, but I'm like @Kyleran with the videos.

I understand Assassin is a pretty general archetype with some standard qualities, but nothing seemed to distinguish this flavor of Assassin from every single assassin/rogue character we've ever seen in MMORPGs.
    freakkyJamesGoblincolera1333Octagon7711

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2018
    "The Assassin, specifically, will utilize this new availability of sneak-attacks! Toxins are crafted items that Assassins can use to imbue their attacks with additional effects."

NEW availability of sneak-attacks!

Poisons!

Just the typical backstabbing thief DPS class with the usual stealth and some debuffs.

....meh.  Needs moar ninja.

0:13: My current reaction to this.

1:06 and beyond:  Not my current reaction to this.

Maybe I got spoiled by Diablo 2 giving my assassin shadow images and booby traps in addition to the kung fu.

freakkyJamesGoblin
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2018
    Tiamat64 said:
    "The Assassin, specifically, will utilize this new availability of sneak-attacks! Toxins are crafted items that Assassins can use to imbue their attacks with additional effects."

NEW availability of sneak-attacks!

Poisons!

Just the typical backstabbing thief DPS class with the usual stealth and some debuffs.

....meh.  Needs moar ninja.

0:13: My current reaction to this.

1:06 and beyond:  Not my current reaction to this.

Maybe I got spoiled by Diablo 2 giving my assassin shadow images and booby traps in addition to the kung fu.

Ninja in FFXIV I suppose.

I mean, I get that rogues/thieves etc generally have similar things, but many games have done some pretty clever variations. I mean at this point, I guess you could say WoW pretty much copied many of their rogue abilities from FFXI which was out 2-3 years before it. That being said, their dagger storm or whatever they want to call it looks visually exactly like fan of knives from WoW. Yes, certain classes generally have the same abilities in regards to what they do but to go down right and copy how they look is just lazy.
    JamesGoblin
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    The real question is: Is stealth limited duration or untimed?
    YashaXOctagon7711

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
    edited January 2018
    time007 said:
    I hear it's untimed and they'll be including a skill called vanish that will allow you to stealth in combat.  So unique!

#joke
    JamesGoblin

• Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538

time007 said:

I hear it's untimed and they'll be including a skill called vanish that will allow you to stealth in combat.  So unique!

#joke

The in combat vanish can only be used when the assassin has sufficient soul power. Soul Power builds up through fighting.

There are other abilities which can reveal stealth, some of which can be taken regardless of the class you play.
    JamesGoblin
  • Reaperman69Reaperman69 Member UncommonPosts: 28
    its ok, but i think they should lessen the flair, there is too many colors, in pvp 30+ or more it will be a clusterfuck of colors.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    /facepalm

I almost don’t have the words. If we wanted to play WoW battle ground we F’n would. Bad move Art Craft, very bad move. Sad move even.

What’s this say about the rest of the games “original” ideas. Damnit..
    JamesGoblinManWithNoTan
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114

Albatroes said:

Um....everything about it is WoW's rogue though, animations included except for like 2? I mean, I know almost every warrior in a game has a charge and almost every mage in a game has a fire/ice specialization, but this pretty much lacks any form of trying to be original other than a couple of names. Just being honest.

Yep, that they are. Kinda super weak on creativity. GW2's Thief was similar to the Rogue from WoW, but had many significant differences to distinguish it. This is blatant copy-and-pasting.

''Assassin's are magicians''

Wot the fok did ye just say to me mate?

Confused by that statement in the article as well. Rewatched the video a 2nd time and found nowhere did the narrator mention that it was a "magician". And the Assassin uses Stamina without access to a mana bar. That means no magician. In the world of American Harry Potter, it's a "No-Maj"
    JamesGoblin

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It sounds like a very simple design on most of it's ideas.
    most of the attacks are identical,just given a different name and effect.
    I doubt i will lever see an in depth Rogue like than the FFXI Thief.
    Example FFXI Thief had a Group positional attack called a Triple Attack and a sneak attack.The TA relied on the tank or whomever you wanted to transfer hate to be directly in front of you,then another player would stand directly across from those 2 players and gain hate to turn the mob around so the Thief could Sneak attack trick attack and transfer hate,that is a LOT more depth than the simple Sneak attack i see games doing.

Then there is no mention of missing and accuracy.The the part i always need to see enforced,the "plausible realism".Example WHY are ALL of his attacks turned to poison?There should be some plausible reason showing him load up perhaps a poison tip arrow or a poison potion,you don't just simplify it in a non plausible fashion and say ,ok now he has all attacks are poison.

I mention the same idea when i see badly designed mages.Example a Mage should appear to be conjuring magic and not just spamming fireballs like a machine gun.Poorly designed Rangers i see often as well,spamming bows like a repeating rifle,no appearance of loading an arrow and in many games no ammo what so ever,it just magically appears to fire off arrows ..sigh.
    So yeah i am calling out poor character/class designs and not just promoting anything that might look cool or might have some cool abilities.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    "Magician" is simply referring to general trickstery of the class, and 
    it reminds me of my vanilla/BC WoW Rogue, of which I wouldn't mind even the virtual copy-paste.

They are certainly not too creative with this one (furthermore, the same is true for a number of other Crowfall classes) but neither was WoW which quoted heavily from EQ, DAoC etc. while these robbed MUDs, and before that there was tabletop...I have virtual copy-pasting in mind, not to mention general concepts.

To give it some context, standard/expectation wise: the real challenge with indies is not to design a class but to implement it and make it actually work close to AAA standards. I mean, even just to launch, no matter how buggy and broken game, is/will be too high a hurdle for many projects often mentioned aroundhere.
    MadFrenchie
     W...aaagh?
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    With Disciplines being mixed it, the load out can become more interesting, but basic class design is very basic and copy/paste. Sad they didn't make more use of positioning.

DAoC system of being in the front/back/side, after blocking/parrying/evading, after using another ability at least gave some variety even if it was just doing an attack. Although it required a lot more abilities in total and in use at a time. Trade offs I guess.

JamesGoblinYashaX
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Some of you guys are absolute nutmegs with how you switch on/off your disgust with mainstays/tropes in the genre. Y'all are some unstable mf'ers. XD
    JamesGoblinKyleran
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Allein said:
    With Disciplines being mixed in, the load out can become more interesting, but basic class design is very basic and copy/paste. Sad they didn't make more use of positioning.

DAoC system of being in the front/back/side, after blocking/parrying/evading, after using another ability at least gave some variety even if it was just doing an attack. Although it required a lot more abilities in total and in use at a time. Trade offs I guess.

Good reminder, disciplines; compared to Crowfall, WoW practically has no customization i.e. it's build diversity is extremely low.

...and, speaking of minor differences, CF is action combat.
    YashaX
     W...aaagh?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,166

neirulius said:

Yea, backstab/sneak attack? Check.

Poisons? Check.

Annnndddddd, that's about all we know for sure. The magician thing piques the interest, but it's never expounded upon or even mentioned on the class page. Maybe the video has more details, but I'm like @Kyleran with the videos.

I understand Assassin is a pretty general archetype with some standard qualities, but nothing seemed to distinguish this flavor of Assassin from every single assassin/rogue character we've ever seen in MMORPGs.
    Don't forget dagger storm
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Some of you guys are absolute nutmegs with how you switch on/off your disgust with mainstays/tropes in the genre. Y'all are some unstable mf'ers. XD
    Naw, they are just really bored of playing the same classes for 20 years now...

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,166
    Kyleran said:
    Yep, always the same focus different game. I really don't think there are that many connoisseurs of MMOs as they think. The only difference I tend to notice is if it seems cheap or not. Most of us bounce around looking for that something different that also doesn't suck.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited January 2018
    Kyleran said:
    I'm cool with the general archetype, it's an RPG standard.  But at least show us something unique to their rogue.  Admittedly, the reveal doesn't go into a whole lotta depth, but instead, a whole lotta flavor text to hype the class up.  That's not really an excuse for not having a single thing that seems even somewhat unique so far (again, unless they expound on the magician phrase, but I think the staff here added that, because I didn't see the phrase on the class page).

EDIT- compare and contrast Crowfall here to CU's class lineup.  It's like night and day in creativity.
    bcbully

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Kyleran said:
    I'm cool with the general archetype, it's an RPG standard.  But at least show us something unique to their rogue.  Admittedly, the reveal doesn't go into a whole lotta depth, but instead, a whole lotta flavor text to hype the class up.  That's not really an excuse for not having a single thing that seems even somewhat unique so far (again, unless they expound on the magician phrase, but I think the staff here added that, because I didn't see the phrase on the class page).

EDIT- compare and contrast Crowfall here to CU's class lineup.  It's like night and day in creativity.
    Difficult to tell until you actually play one but my first thought was also, this is a generic rogue.  Hopefully there's something that sets it apart from rogues in other games.
    MadFrenchie

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Everyone says they’d prefer a different assassin but am I the only one that would prefer em’ as simple & quick killers w/o mega fancy animations or attacks?
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Kyleran said:

Considering that they didn't expand on the fantasy aspect/definition of magician at all for the assassin after mentioning it, odds are pretty good they meant the real life version of the magician.

From Wester.com:
    Magician: one who performs tricks of illusion and sleight of hand

Which is pretty much what this assassin is doing.

Still... you don't see someone use "Magician" with the real life definition of professional magicians in a fantasy setting very often.  With good reason (after all, real life magicians are rather mundane compared to fantasy wizards for obvious reasons).
    MadFrenchie
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    eh ya they couldnt even try to come up with different names than wow rogue moves that do the exact same thing?
    colera1333