Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained - EXCLUSIVE - Mark Jacobs on the Road Ahead for Camelot Unchained - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageCamelot Unchained - EXCLUSIVE - Mark Jacobs on the Road Ahead for Camelot Unchained - MMORPG.com

Mark Jacobs hears you: Camelot Unchained is overdue. And today, we dive in deep with the man to talk about the current status of the project, the recent new batch of funding, and the forthcoming beta (!) and 2019 release (!). Read on, RVR fans.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

pantaro

Comments

• AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I may be a bit tired of waiting, but as a backer I still support CSE and Mark 100%.
    pantaroYashaXJamesGoblinThupliTigsKCMashey222KyleranholdenhamletGilcroixLeFantomeand 2 others.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256

Zegaloth said:

Everything this man touches turns to lead.

Your wrong
    JamesGoblinSinsaiThunder073holdenhamletKyleranLeFantomeZenJellyGhavriggdruez
  • Krynt0kKrynt0k Member UncommonPosts: 256
    Im looking forward to the 3 more announcements coming our way.
    JamesGoblinThunder073Ghavriggdruez
  • psychotic79psychotic79 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I'd like to give a suggestion for Saturday Night Sieges. I understand that will be Alpha and IT backers but I believe you would make lower level Beta backers happy if they were included in this part. Especially if you have backed the game for a long time.

I continue to hold out hope that this game can make new exciting memories of RVR like DAoC did for me in the past.

Good luck Mark and everyone at CSE
    Nitrus , DAoC Tristan-HIB, Lancelot-MID, Merlin-ALB
    JamesGoblinTsiya
  • Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    You know, 2008 seems like 100 years ago rather than 10, but I was there in the WAR Beta. CU has to be a finished, released product - no cuts, no future feature promises - before I'd consider spending a single dollar.

That's just the way it is, and I suspect I'm not alone in that view. Learning from History, and all that. Is it unfair that perspective ramps up the difficulty for development in 2018? Maybe. Faith was a reliable ally, until she was set on fire by her "friends" and left to burn. A lot of healing still needs to happen for trust to return.
    ThupliElorantaValdheimBodeanGScorchiendruezGdemami

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    $7.5m in additional funding is great news, congrats CSE! Even better is confirmation that the design and the business model will not change at all. 

Something that is driving me a bit crazy though - where is the announcement?

This is an interview about the announcement. MOP have done similar. Where is the actual announcement?!?! There is nothing on the official CU site either. Am I missing something? Is the announcement only available to backers or the press?

This interview also says this is the second of four big announcements. What was the first? Was it the fact that they're staffing up?

I know it's petty, but dissemination of gaming news is a pet peeve of mine, I hate when the source information is hidden away somewhere and all you can find is the commentary on it. 
    Thupli
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    well this is good news! This will surely speed up production up to release.
  • mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981
    edited January 2018

Something that is driving me a bit crazy though - where is the announcement?;

Honestly, had to go back and look through all the emails they send, but in their last "CSE Tentative Live Stream Schedule" email, they stated;

"Thursday, as mentioned above, January 18th, we'll be streaming the first of those "Big" announcements, times to be determined (but tentatively set at 10AM and 4PM Eastern Time)."

and linked to their Twitch channel:

Edit: To be fair, only announcement I see on their schedule this week is three instances of "First Big Announcement" today so not sure on first vs. second and differences in content.
    JamesGoblin

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    The announcement was on the stream and is on their website here: http://camelotunchained.com/v3/victory-cu/
    JamesGoblin

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

meddyck said:

The announcement was on the stream and is on their website here: http://camelotunchained.com/v3/victory-cu/

Out of curiosity, how do you find that link? It's not on their homepage, it's not on their news section, it's not on their newsletter section, not on any of the menu's....

I know it's petty and ultimately doesn't matter, the content of the announcement is far more important than the way it is announced and I'm really happy with the content of the announcement! Just frustrates me that I cannot access the actual announcement without watching a livestream, something I'm unable to do most of the day.
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227

meddyck said:

Out of curiosity, how do you find that link? It's not on their homepage, it's not on their news section, it's not on their newsletter section, not on any of the menu's....

I know it's petty and ultimately doesn't matter, the content of the announcement is far more important than the way it is announced and I'm really happy with the content of the announcement! Just frustrates me that I cannot access the actual announcement without watching a livestream, something I'm unable to do most of the day.
    I guess that they just haven't put the page in the NEWS link.
    JamesGoblin
  • AxxarAxxar Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Do you get your own Inn if you pledge $7.500.000?
    JamesGoblintweedledumb99Mensur
  • gordonwaltongordonwalton Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Very pleased to see this. Congrats Mark and team! I can't wait to play!
    JamesGoblinAgent_JosephLeFantome
  • NanulakNanulak Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Awesome news. All my friends who keep pestering me on timelines etcetera can now know it is all coming together and dates will be announced soon. Grats to CSE and all the backers of CU.

Nanulak

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

meddyck said:

It was posted in the Twitch chat by a member of CSE during the stream.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347
    edited January 2018
    I look forward to checking out the game closer to launch. It's easy for me to say since I don't crowdfund this or any other game nor do I pay for development but take the time needed to do it right :]

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    very cool news. awesome job. happy we got the money. looking forward to a 2018 release or early 2019 release. i dont mind waiting if we get a great game. definitely want daoc not warhammer for sure.
    JamesGoblin

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Torval said:
    That was a little underwhelming for a hyped up announcement that was bigger than beta 1 that turned out to be an announcement of when they're announcing things. Good they secured more funding. Rounding out towards $20M seems like a much more realistic number to pull a project like this off.
    Total investment is around 17 million. 7.5 mil is on top of a game already 2/3 finished. 

Now post your business management credentials and development history so we know your claims of understanding how to handle millions of dollars is valid.

You stay sassy!

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited January 2018
    2019 now.......sigh. Patiently waiting....still.
    Orthelian
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • RolanStormRolanStorm Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Delay or no delay this one will be good.
    bcbullypantaro
  • darkrain21darkrain21 Member UncommonPosts: 383
    I just cant bring myself to care about full PVP focused games anymore. Yeah the focus on the PVP and make it good but, everything else takes a ding and pvp games feel population drop off a lot more than PVE or PVE/PVP centric games. Love Warhammer AoR but its primary flair was PVP and when the pop dipped it felt it hard. So good luck to him when he gets this out sometime around the release of Kingdom Hearts 3 and the next good silent hill game.
    I just cant bring myself to care about full PVP focused games anymore. Yeah the focus on the PVP and make it good but, everything else takes a ding and pvp games feel population drop off a lot more than PVE or PVE/PVP centric games. Love Warhammer AoR but its primary flair was PVP and when the pop dipped it felt it hard. So good luck to him when he gets this out sometime around the release of Kingdom Hearts 3 and the next good silent hill game.
    I hear what you're saying and agree with your statements about the history of most PvP focused MMORPGs. 

However, Camelot Unchained is aiming to address some fundamental MMO issues to prevent history repeating itself. The biggest thing is they are using horizontal progression, rather than vertical. This will hopefully mean an end to power gaps, which means newbies won't have such a terrible experience. They'll actually be able to contribute in a meaningful way from day 1, rather than having to get stomped for a few months before they can be competitive. 

CU is also going for a very deep combat system that should be much more engaging long term, keeping players in game for longer. It's avoiding full loot systems too, so despite being a PvP game it's not aiming just at the ultra-hardcore crowd. 

Finally, with their bespoke engine, their servers should house 10s of thousands of players, so whilst you will notice a dropoff eventually, it will be more a case of the scale of battles reducing, rather than the frequency. 
    MrMelGibsonBruceYeeRolanStormShadanwolf
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

On a side note it's RvR with a lengthy time to kill planned. It's not hardcore and you aren't losing gear. The game heavily promotes your own realm helping one another out so kills are not competitive. It should also support diverse game play with dedicated crafters much like in SWG who may or may not engage in combat much (they suck at combat but can do things in supportive ways during sieges so have their use ... and your faction will likely support the hell out of you). You can play a scout which is largely non-combat (or not direct damage dealers in the standard way) yet still be part of large scale direct engagements.

It of course is a pvp game but it's set up to be very different than what most have come accustomed to and there will be ways to make direct contributions to your realm without any direct engagements which is how you gain leveling experience in the game (in many ways, not just combat).

A large appeal to the game concept is from the fact they are trying to move this genre beyond convention.
    MrMelGibsonRolanStorm

You stay sassy!

• Thunder073Thunder073 Member UncommonPosts: 108
    So sick and tired of games being hyped up and talked about 5 years before they come out... This game is still 2 years away. "Targeting 2019" mean it could 12/31/2019. And thats just the target...
    KyleranXarkojimmywolfRolanStormGdemami
  • MaldrekMaldrek Member UncommonPosts: 14

So sick and tired of games being hyped up and talked about 5 years before they come out... This game is still 2 years away. "Targeting 2019" mean it could 12/31/2019. And thats just the target...

I have to say i agree Thunder .Then there's the we are gonna do something that no other game has done....

"we are aiming for something that nobody has been able to deliver on yet: a 1K player battle around a castle which maintains a playable FPS (30) on a decent, but not high-end, gamer rig."

It's the same old story every other MMO Throws out there. Then if the game actually releases the features aren't there or they are broken R.I.P as people leave and hop the next hype train .Why not use what we know works then develop the world ,lore ,classes do some newer things on smaller scales .Optimize the game engine make it run on a decent-average store bought PC cause the eye candy crowd will only stick around till the next shiny comes out the they move on .There's a reason some of the old MMO are still around and still have people playing them most definitely not the numbers of their glory days but enough to keep them up and keep content coming out and people buying it .
    Thunder073