Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With $7.5M in New Funding, Accelerated Development On Its Way - Camelot Unchained - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageWith $7.5M in New Funding, Accelerated Development On Its Way - Camelot Unchained - MMORPG.com

Camelot Unchained News - City State Entertainment has scored an additional $7.5M through the investment from the original Mythic Entertainment backers. Mythic is the first studio founded by City State's Mark Jacobs. Investors include GF Capital Management & Advisors, the same group that helped fund Mythic.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    that should speed things up a tad bit lol
    tubbzAlomarchocolate42069JamesGoblinMrMelGibson
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Was exactly what was betting on, what this game most needed is more on the development front to catch up on the daunting task that is for one Indie to develop one MMO.

Perhaps now quality can be pushed to get more artists, improve the game visuals beyond the large focus they have put on the backend to support large-scale battles, and so on.
    pantaroKyleranCecropiachocolate42069AlomarJamesGoblin
    MaxBacon said:
    Was exactly what was betting on, what this game most needed is more on the development front to catch up on the daunting task that is for one Indie to develop one MMO.

Perhaps now quality can be pushed to get more artists, improve the game visuals beyond the large focus they have put on the backend to support large-scale battles, and so on.
    if only more mmo's actually cared this much about how many players could interact at once on screen with a decent framerate
    KyleranCecropiachocolate42069AlomarJamesGoblinRolanStormMrMelGibson
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    MaxBacon said:

Most of the graphics are still placeholders.. not sure you why want improved game visuals when we haven't even seen the final art of many things.
    Besides I'd rather they spend more funding fleshing out meaningful mechanics than spend it on artists.
    Gameplay > Graphics.
    pantaroAlomarJamesGoblinRolanStormMrMelGibson

..Cake..

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Same investors wow. Good thing to never burn bridges. Good job guys!
    JamesGoblinRolanStormMrMelGibson

You stay sassy!

edited January 2018
    pantaro said:
    if only more mmo's actually cared this much about how many players could interact at once on screen with a decent framerate
    There are, you do can always achieve decent frame rates, you simply sacrifice physics, graphics and so on, CU does that as we seen in the last footage of ongoing tests. But if you push the visuals, if you do more physics and simulation, then you'll welcome the challenge.

sgel said:
    Most of the graphics are still placeholders.. not sure you why want improved game visuals when we haven't even seen the final art of many things.
    Besides I'd rather they spend more funding fleshing out meaningful mechanics than spend it on artists.
    Gameplay > Graphics.
    I will have to disagree.

I would go all for Gameplay as is your point if it wasn't for Gamers, because, just as it happens with CU right now, every time footage of tests is revealed, there is a wave of backlash because of its visuals, it acts like a wall, people won't get to care about the gameplay if the visuals won't convince. While I hear "Gameplay > Graphics" all the time, the overall gamer seems to go the opposite direction.
    MrMelGibson
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Well with CoE floundering around, maybe this one is next?
    Alomar
  • ShinimasShinimas Member UncommonPosts: 67
    So they can last another year or two. I guess that's good for the backers. Whatever. Not going to bet on Beta 1 this year.
    pantarosome-clueless-guyJamesGoblin
    MaxBacon said:

I will have to disagree.

I would go all for Gameplay as is your point if it wasn't for Gamers, because, just as it happens with CU right now, every time footage of tests is revealed, there is a wave of backlash because of its visuals, it acts like a wall, people won't get to care about the gameplay if the visuals won't convince. While I hear "Gameplay > Graphics" all the time, the overall gamer seems to go the opposite direction.
    And that's why we have a plethora of pretty shallow games.
    I don't want CU to join the group.
    CU doesn't need to be the most popular mmo, just needs to have  a healthy playerbase.
    If it has engaging gameplay it can achieve that.. it doesn't need super duper BDO graphics.

CrazKanukpantaroAlomarJamesGoblinMrMelGibson

..Cake..

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    What's the release timeline for this game anyways? I feel like this was one of the earlier KS MMOs being developed. Should be getting pretty close now?
    --------------------------------------------

Shinimas said:

So they can last another year or two. I guess that's good for the backers. Whatever. Not going to bet on Beta 1 this year.

Perhaps you should watch the current live announcement on Twitch. The new investment is to expand the team for faster development. Beta announcement is part of the next 2 announcements over the next couple weeks or so. Beta 1 is SOON.

Beta stages will be accelerated (Mark literally just said that as I typed this) and launch window defined because of this investment. This means a sooner launch.

PLEASE just attempt to gather some real data before flippant posts.
    JamesGoblinMrMelGibson

You stay sassy!

edited January 2018
    sgel said:
    CU doesn't need to be the most popular mmo, just needs to have  a healthy playerbase.
    If it has engaging gameplay it can achieve that.. it doesn't need super duper BDO graphics.
    I don't agree with this in one aspect, you don't have to throw away good visuals for good gameplay.

It's not a trade, or one or the other, and I don't think visuals are expensive either, the engines around already are kept to current standards.
    JamesGoblin
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    sgel said:
    MaxBacon said:

I will have to disagree.

I tend to agree. I would like to think that we've learned not to chase the carrot at this point, so hopefully we'll see something that's targeted towards the DAOC group with little deviation. 
    some-clueless-guyAlomarJamesGoblinMrMelGibson

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ShinimasShinimas Member UncommonPosts: 67

What's the release timeline for this game anyways? I feel like this was one of the earlier KS MMOs being developed. Should be getting pretty close now?

2019 estimated for release. Actual release probably mid-2020 in an extremely broken state (this is an "old-school" MMO after all) with another 6 months spent on bug fixing.
    JamesGoblin
    Tamanous said:

Shinimas said:

Perhaps you should watch the current live announcement on Twitch. The new investment is to expand the team for faster development. Beta announcement is part of the next 2 announcements over the next couple weeks or so. Beta 1 is SOON.

Beta stages will be accelerated (Mark literally just said that as I typed this) and launch window defined because of this investment. This means a sooner launch.

PLEASE just attempt to gather some real data before flippant posts.
    but this is mmorpg.com  the place where everyone has something to say about games they are too good to google about
    JamesGoblinMrMelGibson
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    I don't agree with this in one aspect, you don't have to throw away good visuals for good gameplay, both should be core points of a good game, not just one of them.
    unless your Camelot Unchained a niche crowdfunded RvR mmo that aims to have the largest battles ever seen in a mmorpg.....just saying 
    Gravend
    edited January 2018
    pantaro said:
    unless your Camelot Unchained a niche crowdfunded RvR mmo that aims to have the largest battles ever seen in a mmorpg.....just saying 
    Well, that is true, large-scale often comes with cuts on what they can afford to do visually and mechanically.

When you say "largest battles ever seen in a mmorpg", are you considering EvE?
    pantaro
    MaxBacon said:
    pantaro said:
    Well, that is true, large-scale often comes with cuts on what they can afford to do visually and mechanically.

When you say "largest battles ever seen in a mmorpg", are you considering EvE?
    not when i typed it no. but we all know eve online has set the current bar for that statement
    MrMelGibson
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    I don't agree with this in one aspect, you don't have to throw away good visuals for good gameplay.

It's not a trade, or one or the other, and I don't think visuals are expensive either, the engines around already are kept to current standards.
    I didn't say they had to purposefully use crap graphics.
    I just disagreed with your assessment that since they got new funding they should prioritize graphics. 
    I think they should hire more developers and flesh out game mechanics.
    Mark has great ideas, they just need the time to implement these ideas.
    Hopefully this new funding will help with that.
    pantaroMrMelGibson

..Cake..

• BlackboaBlackboa Member UncommonPosts: 167
    So happy for this announcement and the team. Well worth the wait. Hopefully some of the CoE layoffs can find a new home at City State Entertainment
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Weird thing.
    Their obsession with lowering the poly count on every single new model the draw, the performance over graphics attitude and overall the fun game first and postcard maker last is what prompted me to back the game.

There IS a crowd of players who, pardon my French, truly don't give a shit about the graphics. Even though it might be hard to believe, we are not saying it because we are in self-denial or because we have some other agenda, we REALLY don't care. I would play DAOC still if the UI was not so atrociously incompatible to today's resolutions.

It's just that different players have different "needs". Maybe they don't care to cater to the players who want graphics over everything else, which makes sense to me: not every game should be designed to please every player (even though that seems the trend with MMOs nowadays)
    WellspringJamesGoblinMrMelGibson

pantaro said:

MaxBacon said:

sgel said:

I don't agree with this in one aspect, you don't have to throw away good visuals for good gameplay, both should be core points of a good game, not just one of them.

The particle affect system is still very new and being slapped in game slowly just like animations are. One of the 1st key hires they are working on is another animator (I think this is already completed or soon to be). The look and feel of the game is largely tied to finishing huge sets of animations, sounds and effects per individual abilities due to how the game combat will work (it's very tactical and visually oriented).

This investment and new hire rush is largely related to speeding up the visual look and function of the actual game (instead of such heavy tech investment prior) to make it work and look like a game which I think is what has driven so much criticism up until now. Compare this to Crowfall which has a shiny engine that can make pretty graphics but very little is known about how the game actually works underneath (other than through concept videos).

I don't think there is any concern as this investment directly impacts this subject.
    MaxBaconMrMelGibson

You stay sassy!

edited January 2018

Shinimas said:

2019 estimated for release. Actual release probably mid-2020 in an extremely broken state (this is an "old-school" MMO after all) with another 6 months spent on bug fixing.

The live stream (where the actual information is coming from and not your ignorant guesses) states 2019 (2020 was pre-investment likelihood) release due the ability to greatly expand the development team. The game thus far has been heavily focused on bug squashing and Mythic was old school as well yet DAoC was one of the smoothest launches in mmorpg history.

An accurate and probable launch window was part of the investment deal.

You are a bitter person.

You stay sassy!

edited January 2018
    sgel said:
    I didn't say they had to purposefully use crap graphics.
    I just disagreed with your assessment that since they got new funding they should prioritize graphics. 
    I think they should hire more developers and flesh out game mechanics.
    Mark has great ideas, they just need the time to implement these ideas.
    Hopefully this new funding will help with that.
    I think it goes in both fronts. Say one thing on development is that the teams that work on engineering say from physics to all sorts of engine work and mechanics tend to be (intentionally) focused and smaller teams; but when you talk about visuals, asset creation and designers, then you have armies of those (that doesn't make visuals more important than gameplay, just how productivity is organized).
    edited January 2018
    It is very positive news that this investment influx has nearly no strings attached. It's a small percentage shares sale with the only goal of making the game faster and better. CSE still has full creative control. They basically all worked together before and even some have long personal histories with MJ (like his sister lol).

Gamesbeat article lists total investment from all sources now at 17 million. I don't know shit about business management but that sure sounds less risky than before. And still stock options for any engineers and animators over the next 6 months. Sounds like serious incentives to get some serious programmers.

Mark sounds flat out excited to be freed up to get back to designing and writing more. More class and race info soon finally!
    CoolitMrMelGibson

You stay sassy!