Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft & Carbine 'Are Continuing to Support the Game for the Foreseeable Future' - WildStar - MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageNCSoft & Carbine 'Are Continuing to Support the Game for the Foreseeable Future' - WildStar - MMORPG.com

WildStar News - The WildStar site has been updated with the 2018 State of the Universe penned by Chad 'Pappy' Moore. In it, he takes a look back at 2017 before addressing the game's future. Players have been wondering about WildStar going forward as NCSoft has been closing underperforming games like MXM. "Carbine and NCSoft are continuing to support the game for the foreseeable future" Moore wrote.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

JamesGoblin

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    The fact that they had to come out and say that makes me think NCSOFT already brought the shut down topic to Carbine's attention.

They will keep it a live for as long as they can. Just prolonging the inevitable.
    SeelinnikoiwingoodinfomatzCelcius

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    The foreseeable future however is only as long as the next financial quarter, but it does sound better than saying 'next 3 months' :p
    SBFordDakerujimmywolfSeelinnikoiBlaze_RockerinfomatzMrMelGibson
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    I'm still kind of amazed it's still up.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't hate this game in fact I still have it installed.

But seeing how MXM was tossed out there and then they hit the kill switch almost immediately..
    Harbinger of Fools
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    I loved Wildstar, but the old school (hardcore) end game model simply wasn't as popular as they thought when it came out. It truly surprises me that they haven't shut the game down yet given NCSoft's track record, especially considering they shut CoH/CoV down while it was more profitable than Wildstar is now (IIRC).
    Blaze_Rocker
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    This is a weeping song
    A song in which to weep
    While we rock ourselves to sleep
    This is a weeping song
    SeelinnikoiMaxBaconJamesGoblin
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The 'bottomline' is this: if this game truly had a future then more would've been done, not saying "hey, we're not gonna make raids anymore" like 2-3 years ago? Along with not really even adding a new class to the game since its been out, only making it so that other races can use other classes. I bet there was a statement just like this before NCSoft shut down CoH.
    wingood
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    You know your game will shutdown when PR has to come out and say that it won't shutdown.
    DakeruSpottyGekkowingoodBlaze_RockerMrMelGibson
    If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Okay I'm a little skeptical. I bring this up in every Wildstar topic but this is extremely weird for NCsoft to allow it to continue even this long. Something personal must be invested into it. Every SINGLE MMORPG NCSoft has published that they didn't develop has been shut down the SECOND that they didn't have a reason to keep it running (ie: Profits not being there). Why is it that Wildstar is still running. I absolutely love the game but they failed to promote it 3 launches. They failed to retain the audience. I'm sure theres a small community there still but I'm just confused as to why NCSoft hasn't pulled the plug (not trying to be a dick saying it deserves it I'm just talking about their track record). I'm really happy for the people who play that will continue playing until they pull it off life support.

This entire update reads as basically "We are keeping this alive on a skeleton crew, so don't expect any new content". Which is fine. But I'm just wondering how long until the plug gets pulled. Why is NCSoft so invested in this game, where before they would shut things down in less than a month. It's really strange to me.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    CoH was releasing new content up until the shutdown was announced. This doesn't bode well for W*. It's too bad because I did enjoy the game for a while but the combat pushed me away. Maybe if I found a good guild while I was playing that could explain things to me and team up for larger events I would still be interested.
    MrMelGibson
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited January 2018
    It's a mistery, don't understand what NC still see in WS while MXM is going to shut down less than one year since launch.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Okay I'm a little skeptical. I bring this up in every Wildstar topic but this is extremely weird for NCsoft to allow it to continue even this long. Something personal must be invested into it. Every SINGLE MMORPG NCSoft has published that they didn't develop has been shut down the SECOND that they didn't have a reason to keep it running (ie: Profits not being there). Why is it that Wildstar is still running. I absolutely love the game but they failed to promote it 3 launches. They failed to retain the audience. I'm sure theres a small community there still but I'm just confused as to why NCSoft hasn't pulled the plug (not trying to be a dick saying it deserves it I'm just talking about their track record). I'm really happy for the people who play that will continue playing until they pull it off life support.

This entire update reads as basically "We are keeping this alive on a skeleton crew, so don't expect any new content". Which is fine. But I'm just wondering how long until the plug gets pulled. Why is NCSoft so invested in this game, where before they would shut things down in less than a month. It's really strange to me.
    Richard Garriot sued their pants off when they shut his game down and broke contract. They've been treading pretty lightly since then. Whopping 11 million cut into them from that case. 
  • Deadrites87Deadrites87 Member UncommonPosts: 94
    edited January 2018
    Heard wildstar was a pet project of one of the higher ups in the company which would explain why it has lasted as long as it has without being shutdown. Maybe this year, we can see some revamps with the combat or some type of revitalization of wildstar. I enjoyed my time I spent there and would probably be playing it now if it had more people.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Are there any active "raiding guilds" still going in this game? It must be such a empty game.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    Unfortunately for Carbine, the foresight of the average publisher extends about one financial quarter into the future.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • CervaniCervani Member UncommonPosts: 21
    So wait.... they'll keep this dead fish alive, but shut down something that was still making money like City of Heroes/Villians? A game that had a far larger and more steadfast community? Never know where the mind of publishers are these days man.
    wingood
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Yeah in corporate talk this means they will be shutting if down next quarter.
    Blaze_Rocker
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Could be some higher ups pet project. WS will stay around just as long as they do.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    I'm also really surprised at how FAST MXM shut down (which is a pretty sad spitting in the face of CoH people since it brought back several CoH characters) while Wildstar continues on.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Rhoklaw said:
    The fact NCSoft allows WildStar to continue but they shut down CoX just means they have no friggin idea what they are doing.
    That is one of the more puzzling things about all this, Wildstar long ago fell below the kind of revenue levels that COH/COV generated, which begs the question why treat them so differently, there has to be a none financially motivated reason to keep Wildstar running and also why COH/COV was shut down. :/
    [Deleted User]NildenAzaron_Nightblade
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Tiamat64 said:

I'm also really surprised at how FAST MXM shut down (which is a pretty sad spitting in the face of CoH people since it brought back several CoH characters) while Wildstar continues on.

MXM was released only in the West ( no Asia release ) , because NcSoft wanted to do something different. Yes, they failed , but at least they tried.

They are not going to close Wildstar , because Carbine is currently working on an announcement (MMO?) project. I believe it will be Wildstar 2.0 , since they clearly did rushed WS when they released it , and now .. maybe they know wtf they (will) do.

Time will tell , but no WS close ( at least not in the next years ) .

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

You know your game will shutdown when PR has to come out and say that it won't shutdown.

eh they said that for LOTRO for quite some time as people were waiting for renewal news.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I would say if they plan on using Carbine going forward,that is the ONLY reason.So they won't really be supporting it,it will just be there because Carbine is still there.A few bucks to help pay the payroll,that is all,very similar to what was going on with SOE.MXM a VERY cheap no effort tactic to create some cash flow.

So if this is what they call "support"might as well forget about it.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    If they have to come out and say this it probably means it has less than a year.
  • CatMeowsDogBarksCatMeowsDogBarks Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited April 2018
    For those commenting on why Wildstar isn't Shutdown... Well... Since 4 years ago?(yes, they've been asking that same question 4 years now) Only compare player base count and not Paying Customer Base count i guess?
    The old communities are there.. The PAYING communities, unlike other Free to Play MMO with leeching guilds...
    New blood are still coming, and those hitting the end game have a choice to stay for the Hardcore end game contents or leave. Which stays true for EVERY other MMORPG out there. Not many get to keep their end gamers... (Oh, the whole level up process in Wildstar is CASUAL now by the way).
    This game, now F2P, is practically Free on Almost Everything, Including free in-game ways to get Subscriptions. The map is large, the housing is perfect (no other MMORPG currently alive provide this kind of quality Housing), you can do dungeons and such directly from your housing plot using the contents finder without the need to walk your way to the dungeon in the world map. So most veterans can only be seen in the Capital or in their own house plot, making the main questing zone feels "empty", giving further impression to the newbies, along with these rumors, that the game is dying.
    Unlike before, the game is more tuned to Casual playing style before End Game, and is probably one of the few MMORPG out there that I actually ENJOY the LEVEL UP process. Not much of a grind and feels smooth and balanced like a Stand-alone Solo game. Yes, in this game you can solo your way to End Game, unlike other MMO that forces you to team up at Lv25+.
    There are people rerolling and create a bunch of Alts just to enjoy the level up as far as i know. So just give this "Now TOTALLY FREE" game a try out. You should be a ble to reach end game and do a lot of stuffs before "it's dead". (3 months? well.. it's April by now... lol!) If you're not the social type but still want a piece of the end game... you will be happy to know this game can be easily setup for multi-boxing. you can solo dungeons with your very own boxer team.
    Kyleranjimmywolf
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838

Richard Garriot sued their pants off when they shut his game down and broke contract. They've been treading pretty lightly since then. Whopping 11 million cut into them from that case. 
    Actually, that wasn't the nature of the lawsuit at all. Richard Garriot sued NCSoft for illegally forcing him to use or lose his stock options in NCSoft with which they had purchased his company. This was, of course, when their value was low.