Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon Crafting Harvesting

Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
Taken from a link in the emailed newsletter, sounds awesome! 
http://pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/2018_january_harvesting/

Posted date / 01.17.18

There are many gameplay aspects that help breathe life into an MMORPG, but few are as complex as that of crafting. Players usually fall into two camps when it comes to crafting - indifferent or obsessed. Crafting in Pantheon promises to be a robust affair that will hopefully satiate even the most fanatical fringes of our fandom. Before any real crafting can begin however, there must be some resource accumulation, some raw materials and components. To shed some light on the procurement of these precious resources is an informative missive by  Corey LeFever, our Senior Game Designer.

Gathering Information - A Look at Pantheon Harvesting

What Harvesting means in Pantheon

In Pantheon there are many paths to harvesting what you need. Killing monsters with your friends is one of our core gameplay experiences, so it should follow that monsters drop a variety of items that could be used to craft. We also have a large focus is on exploration, so it follows that you should be able to find things beyond just hidden or rare monsters, such as containers or nodes to interact with to scrounge up goods.

Additionally we would like to provide opportunities to remove items from the game economy, so having the option to breakdown existing items into ingredients or components will be an important facet.

With those points in mind, let's dive in a bit.

Oh the Skills You'll Grow!

When it comes to interacting with harvesting nodes, all players will have access to 5 skills they can raise through use;

• Fishing
  • Gathering
  • Mining
  • Skinning
  • Woodcutting

In order to utilize one of the skills, you'll need to find a target for that skill as well as have a tool that corresponds to the target.

As a fledgeling harvester, you'll start off looking for your first tool for each skill. Luckily there's a few paths available. Many NPC settlements will have a harvesting related vendor ready to sell you beginner tools. You may also find harvesting related NPCs that will let you complete quests to receive tools, or if you're the type that likes to kill everything - you know who you are - you may find NPCs that drop them as loot. One other source for harvesting tools is to have a Woodworker, Stonemason or Blacksmith craft you one.

Let's take a more detailed look at each:

Fishing

Once you've acquired your first pole, the next step is to find a fishable body of water. Many of the waterways in Terminus will be fishable, with shared fishing-related loot based on the local ecology.

Expect to find certain wildlife that's catchable only in brackish water, freshwater, saltwater, lakes, rivers, ponds, or swamps.

Starting out you can expect to catch lots of algae and, occasionally, rusted or soggy goods.

As your skill grows with use though you'll find more exotic wildlife to use in crafting and clues to lost treasures

As an advanced fisherman you can acquire sturdier and more exotic fishing poles to fish in other bodies of liquid such as raw mana and pools of toxic ichor.

Some examples of the wildlife you'll encounter from fishing are: Brouter, Soldier Fish, Puzzin, Raytails, Severfish, Saltbelly Craws, Mudkings, Odamynx, Cuddlecreepers, Snapfishes, and Meatmauls.

The primary use for fishing rewards is for crafting recipes by Provisioners (cooking/brewing) with some overlaps for Alchemists and Scribes.

Gathering

When you've received your first harvesting sickle you'll need to find some plants or fungi to get started.

Many will be local to specific zones or regions, so your experience will vary depending on where you travel. You'll want to search high and low if gathering is of interest to you as you never know what you may find around the next bend or over the next hill.

Early on a gatherer should expect to interact with more mundane plants and fungi, such as basic crops, herbs, roots, fibrous plants like jute, and a variety of mushrooms.

As a gatherer grows their skills and upgrades their sickle they'll be able to harvest more exotic targets such as the corpses of nature-based elementals, myconids, and plants rich in raw energies.

The primary use for gathering yields is in crafting recipes for Alchemists and Provisioners, with some overlap for Scribes and Outfitters.

Skinning

To get going as a neophyte skinner you'll need to find a skinning knife and some animal corpses.

Whether you're making the corpses yourself, or other players around you are the ones making the mess, a corpse will need to be fully looted before it can be skinned.

The early experience as a skinner will find them taking the hides, meats, and blood of small mammals, reptiles, and amphibians. As a skinner becomes more skilled they'll be tackling larger animal corpses. Eventually skinners will be harvesting magical and mythical beasts like basilisks, wyverns, and dragons.

The primary use for skinning yields is in crafting recipes for Outfitters, Provisioners, and Alchemists.

Mining

Once you've found your first pickaxe, you're ready to start delving in caves, quarries, and passes for ore veins.

Ore types are dispersed throughout Terminus based on their local stratum, rather than by intended player levels within a given zone. As a result some areas will be richer in certain gems and ores, with some zones having wholly unique materials.

Starting out a miner will find common ores and gems such as copper, tin, iron, jasper, onyx, quartz, and opal.

As they gain in skill miners will find themselves digging up more rare materials like gold, mithril, platinum, rubies, diamonds, and emeralds. Additionally, some creatures like golems and gargoyles can be mined with the correct skill levels and stronger pickaxes.

Regardless of a miner's skill level they should be prepared to find lots of coal.

The primary use for mining yields is in crafting recipes for Blacksmiths and Stonemasons, with some overlap for Alchemists and Scribes.

Woodcutting

Aspiring lumberjacks will need to find an axe suitable for woodcutting and some harvestable stumps, wood piles, or trees.

Not all trees will be choppable though, we don't want to find barren wastelands filled with nothing but stumps!

Harvestable woodcutting targets will be found throughout Pantheon based on where they make sense ecologically, with some exceptions made for NPC groups that may be trading or cultivating specific lumber types.

In the early skill ranges woodcutters will find themselves interacting with basic wood types like oak, pine, poplar, and ash.

More experienced woodcutters will have opportunities to harvest rare and zone specific woods like Mirrawood, Swampwillow, and Candlewood.

In addition to lumber, saps and barks will sometimes appear in woodcutting yields.

The primary use for woodcutting rewards is in crafting recipes for Woodworkers, with some overlap for Alchemists, Scribes, and Provisioners.

Post edited by Gyva02 on
Kilsincraftseeker

Comments

• Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    Salvaging

Want to turn your unwanted items back in to raw ingredients or crafting subcomponents? This is the skill for harvesters that like destroying things!

Players wanting to work on salvaging will need to get their hands on a salvager's kit and then take their excess armor, weapons, tools, and accessories to an appropriate workstation. Metal goods go the forge, tailored goods go to the loom, wooden goods go to the woodworker's bench, and jewelry goes to the stonemason's bench.

Salvagers that are just starting out will find themselves most often receiving raw or broken scraps, bits, and flecks back from their efforts.

As a salvager gains more skill though they'll be more likely to receive crafting components back such as ingots, bolts of cloth, armor padding, bits of chain, and cut gems and stones.

Most professions share equally in the yields from salvaging. The exceptions are Alchemists and Provisioners, as separating liquids and foodstuffs is a bit sticky.

State of Affairs

Now that we've covered all of that, when can you expect to see it in action?

We are aiming to have most of these skills available to test during the Alpha cycle. There's a bit of internal iteration and level design to go yet to coincide with these skills. Some enterprising players have discovered an early version of fishing is currently available in our test builds. Gathering is not far behind, while the others are currently in development.

Curt2013Kilsin
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    So, what of this is different from EQ2, LotRO, WoW, etc.?  Even PWI has a system that could be described by these same words.

Are they going with targeted fish, like EQ2 or a body of water like LotRO (and EQ1)?  Either way, it doesn't sound like anything different that what I've played before.
    Gyva02dcutbi001

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    "Additionally, some creatures like golems and gargoyles can be mined with the correct skill levels and stronger pickaxes." 

That's not something you see every day. :smile:
    Sinsai

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I watch with beady eyes.

Not mentioned,HOW do players learn recipes,i HATE hand holding and recipe books.The idea you could not craft something without a recipe book was dumb.

Then yeah sounds good mentioning several ways to attain the harvests but again not mentioned,HOW does it work with the BEST items which players ALWAYS aim for.Example are you going to need that special rare only obtained by killing said raid boss or is everything attainable by all explorers or fighters?

Basically they are telling the obvious,as mentioned by others,same old we have seen already.Here is an example,in FFXI you could actually fish up a monster or just a mob that would attack you.One of the coolest ideas i have ever seen,yep again FFXI,you might be fishing on a ship then all of a sudden the music changes.....PIRATES!!!.You see cool fun ideas like that make gaming fun for me,instead of stick pole in water...nothing....fish again ....Lake Trout..etc etc.

Fishing contests,special fishing quests for rare rewards etc etc,again DEPTH,cool ideas,crafting/harvesting/fishing never has to just be same old been there done that.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Wizardry said:
    I watch with beady eyes.

Not mentioned,HOW do players learn recipes,i HATE hand holding and recipe books.The idea you could not craft something without a recipe book was dumb.

Then yeah sounds good mentioning several ways to attain the harvests but again not mentioned,HOW does it work with the BEST items which players ALWAYS aim for.Example are you going to need that special rare only obtained by killing said raid boss or is everything attainable by all explorers or fighters?

Basically they are telling the obvious,as mentioned by others,same old we have seen already.Here is an example,in FFXI you could actually fish up a monster or just a mob that would attack you.One of the coolest ideas i have ever seen,yep again FFXI,you might be fishing on a ship then all of a sudden the music changes.....PIRATES!!!.You see cool fun ideas like that make gaming fun for me,instead of stick pole in water...nothing....fish again ....Lake Trout..etc etc.

Fishing contests,special fishing quests for rare rewards etc etc,again DEPTH,cool ideas,crafting/harvesting/fishing never has to just be same old been there done that.
    FFX1 got both those ideas from UO on fishing
    Sinsai
  • ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662

I've never been big on crafting, most systems I've seen have been a little bit too tedious for me.  However, I believe it's a vital part of any good MMORPG and since the devs take the time to set up a crafting system, I try to dabble in a least one skill.  For instance, in EQ, since my main character was a ranger, I did become a fletcher so I could make my own arrows.

The thing that will make me most likely to engage in some sort of crafting in Pantheon is if there is a player driven market where you will be able to buy and sell most of the ingredients necessary.  That way you will have the choice of either harvesting them yourself or just buying them on the open market if you don't feel like investing the time to harvest.  And my guess is more people will participate in crafting if you have the option of buying the components instead of having to harvest them.  It's a really a win/win for everyone.  There will always be players willing to harvest if they can make money off of it.

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Wizardry said:
    I watch with beady eyes.

This is the harversting info, not the crafting.

I would assume it will come from every single activity, like everything else in the game. Just like powerful spells being tough by sages at the end of a dungeons, crafters will also need to go certain specific places inside dungeons to craft the most powerful items, the one example they gave is amberfaet, there's a magma anvil there, to reach it you need to clear the zone, get the acclimation gear to sustain the fire climate, and a party ofc to go into the dungeon in the first place. As for recipes I would expect the basic ones coming from a book like EQ1 and the more exotic ones working like the spells and rare gear coming from bosses and dungeons.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Mendel said:
    So, what of this is different from EQ2, LotRO, WoW, etc.?  Even PWI has a system that could be described by these same words.

Are they going with targeted fish, like EQ2 or a body of water like LotRO (and EQ1)?  Either way, it doesn't sound like anything different that what I've played before.

Who said they are trying to be different? Just a good robust crafting system similar to EQ2 and Vanguard will work.

A little twist here and there and its nice. 
    SiugGyva02dcutbi001Amathe

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Garbage. 5 professions means the market will be flooded with the same stuff. 
    Gyva02dcutbi001
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    bcbully said:
    Garbage. 5 professions means the market will be flooded with the same stuff. 
    It's not 5 professions it's 7, you're reading the 5 harversting/gathering skills.

The professions are 

Provisioners (cooking/brewing)
    Alchemists
    Scribes
    Blacksmiths
    Outfitters
    Stonemasons
    Woodworker
    edited January 2018
    Mendel said:

No need to change what's not broken, as long as crafting/gathering is rewarding, gives proper progression and it's not meaningless it's more than enough to have a compelling game....
    dcutbi001
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Fix your link.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    @SavageHorizon and @jpedrote52, since VR is striving to be exactly like what has come before, how is that going to be a point of difference, something for them to market?  I've been looking for some aspect to set this game apart from others, and 'an EQ/Vanguard clone' doesn't work for me.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    @SavageHorizon and @jpedrote52, since VR is striving to be exactly like what has come before, how is that going to be a point of difference, something for them to market?  I've been looking for some aspect to set this game apart from others, and 'an EQ/Vanguard clone' doesn't work for me.

https://pantheonmmo.com/game/pantheon_difference/

Not everything needs to be different, and the core concepts and structures will always be similar in MMO's.
  • Curt2013Curt2013 Member UncommonPosts: 66
    It sounds great to me and knowing how deep Brad M likes to make his games I'm sure the crafting / gathering will be no different. If its set up anything like vanguard was I think we'll be in good shape.
    Relampago
  • Gyva02Gyva02 Member RarePosts: 499
    edited January 2018
    Fix your link.
    Fixed, but I like to think of it as our link...
    JustsomenoobAmathe
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I wonder if the Dark Myr just use fishing pole like everybody else.

"Let me get out of water, so I can go catch some fish"
    SovrathAmatheThebeastttRelampago
  • JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880
    edited January 2018
    Xarko said:
    I wonder if the Dark Myr just use fishing pole like everybody else.

"Let me get out of water, so I can go catch some fish"
    If you're REALLY good at fishing, maybe you can even catch a Dark Myr yourself.  

XarduXarko
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    There totally needs to be an ogre cooking recipe for fried myrwich.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    It really doesn't matter what the crafting skills are. Where most MMO's fail is how useful they are.
    [Deleted User]AmatheXarko