Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Over 10 MILLION Folks Watched the OW League's First Week of Games - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageOver 10 MILLION Folks Watched the OW League's First Week of Games - Overwatch - MMORPG.com

Overwatch News - To say that the Overwatch League is off to a great start is to underestimate the numbers that have been announced. Over the course of the first week of professional Overwatch action, over 10 million folks around the world watched matches. The highest concurrent number of viewers was nearly 500,000.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited January 2018
    Don't get me wrong 10mil viewers is nice, but that's still far from the real esport games. Especially considering this is across the whole tournament.

Compare it to LoL's 2016 world championship, 43mil of unique viewers in the finals between SKT and SSG, and the "rematch" in 2017 finals garnered the interest of 60mil unique viewers.

Overwatch is doing okay, but it's still pretty much a joke in the esports scene. Blizzard is trying too hard.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2018
    josko9 said:
    Don't get me wrong 10mil viewers is nice, but that's still far from the real esport games. Especially considering this is across the whole tournament.

Compare it to LoL's 2016 world championship, 43mil of unique viewers in the finals between SKT and SSG, and the "rematch" in 2017 finals garnered the interest of 60mil unique viewers.

Overwatch is doing okay, but it's still pretty much a joke in the esports scene. Blizzard is trying too hard.
    that may be correct, but you are comparing the most popular moba with the most popular hero shooter. Plus LoL has been the king of moba esport for years. OW launched last year iirc. LoL didn't get where it is today in 1 year either.

So i think Blizz is not actually trying "too hard", they are not even trying and got this far in so little time. It's direct competition in hero shooters keep failing miserably so OW is pretty much competing with itself.
    Nepheth

• NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473

josko9 said:

Did you just seriously compare "the finals" of the most popular esport game out there with the first week matches in a 8 week league of a 1 year hero shooter? Please tell me you're not serious... And no Overwatch is not a joke in the esport scene. Not even close.

Well even this post is a development for you. I still remember your wots in every single thread about Overwatch's esport scene. In every comment you posted you bashed the hell out of it. At least even you can't write comments like those anymore.

Blizzard has zero competition in this genre. Except Overwatch, every single hero shooter came out in the last year failed pretty hard. I agree with rojo. Blizzard is just compating with itself right now. Blizzard has an amazing opportunity in its hands and I can't wait to see Overwatch's future.
    IceAgekitaradholdenhamletrojoArcueiddjnj2000
  • drakolasdrakolas Member UncommonPosts: 45
    I love Overwatch, but as a viewer esport I'm not a huge fan tbh. I enjoy watching SC2 much more.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Love what they did with the team colors, and various improvements in the camera. Makes it much easier to watch and understand what's happening. Still some work to do but it's a very difficult game to cast.

It's fun having a team in my local city to root for. I really hope it takes off so they eventually have home games (some cities are definitely doing this in the coming years, hope the same proves true for Philly).
    laseritTintagil