Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Level Scaling Borefest...

shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105
Left Elder Scrolls Online because they adopted level scaling and went to WoW only to find they are patching it in now too. What a way to ruin a decent game. On the plus side more zones are playable but for me it ruins a game world, there is no point on levelling as you fight just the same in all the zones no matter what level you are. The game detects your level and sets the mob accordingly. If you are a decent player looking for a challenge... go where. Nowhere, just have your level detected and that sets the same boring set up. Am gone. Nobody gets my stuff. Its deleted.
TheScavengerjimmywolfpantarolecram64Thomas2006HarikenNephethEponyxDamorTokkenFrodoFraginsand 5 others.

Comments

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    doubt you be missed as the way you speak you were mostly a solo player.  the zone scaling is not a 1:1 ratio depending on your level it stops, so you can out level a zone and as you item level got higher when max level thing got easier so scaling is/was a moot point.

i not big fan of the changes myself but it's made to make the game better an bring new players an encourage old players that were tired of easy mode. 10 years of content that you face roll  within a day an be bored saying it was easy an ignore all lore was not by design. their trying new things since they went from 10 mill + player down to unknown numbers.   
    Shodanas

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    The difference here is that WoW is scaling the mobs to you.  In ESO, you are scaled to CP160.  Huge difference there IMO.  With WoW, you will still level up and feel more powerful with each level, but the mobs (in theory) will remain at a static difficulty until you reach the scaling cap for that area.  In ESO, I just felt like I was spinning my wheels until I hit CP160 and had a massive power increase.  Neither of these is my thing, but at least with WoW, they are trying to maintain the feel of traditional MMO leveling.
    josko9ScotchUpSinsaiGhavrigg

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I've never been a fan of level scaling.
    Seriously, why even level?
    Viper482Tuor7
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

That's because you don't understand how it works.

No game with level scaling leaves you at the exact same power level at endgame as you are at the beginning. 

In ESO for example if you are dying to starter area mobs at CP 160 you are an idiot, period.
    Sinsai
    edited January 2018

No game with level scaling leaves you at the exact same power level at endgame as you are at the beginning. 

In ESO for example if you are dying to starter area mobs at CP 160 you are an idiot, period.
    When I compare my game play from older WoW vs GW2, I preferred the older methods. 
    That's all there is to it.
    SovrathMrMelGibsonLucienReneMikeha
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    shassell said:
    . Am gone. Nobody gets my stuff. Its deleted.
    I've never understood that level of annoyance. You could just turn off the game, maybe different changes will come down the pike and will make it worthwhile.

The whole "I'm deleting my characters/account" feels like ...

MMObrolecram64AllerleirauhMightyUncleanNephethEponyxDamorSinsaiMrMelGibsonJeleenaWraithone
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

When I compare my game play from older WoW vs GW2, I preferred the older methods. 

Fair enough, just sick of the tired and frankly unfounded argument about "no point in leveling up"
    NephethDvora

Fair enough, just sick of the tired and frankly unfounded argument about "no point in leveling up"
    but that's how I/it feel(s)
    Mostly referring to my current game.
    FFXIV with level Synch.

You and your gear are literally cut off (not scaled back to) the max gear set for that given level and your level is set back to the level of the instance. So, you don't have access to your full skill set.

I hate it. TBH. Even if it were more like GW2, I'd be happier. But just truncating my gear stats and skills to an earlier level pisses me off.

FFXIV has some great new skills in this expansion. I love the MCH Heat based mechanics. I love SMN from level 60 and above.......building into DeathFlare....etc.

KyleranEponyxDamorMrMelGibson
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    GeezerGamer, if you're talking about PUGing dungeons in FFXIV and winding up in a dungeon below you're level you could try partyfinder and do them unsynced.
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    This is just one more reason to ignore WoW as a serious gamer until they come out with the vanilla server.  The only way this game can be more kid inclusive is to remove chat and just have an emoticon reply system like most games made exclusively for children.  
    BruceYeeKyleranHarikenNephethMrMelGibson
  • BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    If you're looking for a challenge, go mess around in dungeons. Between bad players and the ones who refuse to cc, healing has been so much more fun and varied other than "go feral affinity and use regens between each crowd".

The solo experience also increased in difficulty more or less, it's still not a constant fight to the death like in a dungeon, but at least I don't fall asleep pressing 1 against enemies when fighting world mobs.
    In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
    Jamar870 said:
    GeezerGamer, if you're talking about PUGing dungeons in FFXIV and winding up in a dungeon below you're level you could try partyfinder and do them unsynced.
    Unfortunately, that only works if you are fulfilling quest objectives that require a dungeon completion, like for Anima Weapons, or if you are looking for specific drops. Otherwise, you can't get full credit for completing dungeons that way. Roulettes are the biggest way to acquire Tomes outside of Rank A hunt parties.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    What's the point, though?  Why would a max level player want to go to the Barrens and fight mobs there?  Does the loot scale, too?
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    Level scaling could work in lazy design SPG, and even then it's a big 'maybe'. It certainly has no place in any game one would even remotely think as an RPG.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    One of the things that still attracts young players to WoW was the easy-mode.  I think they are going to lose more current, young players than they attract past players back to the game with this change
    TokkenMrMelGibson
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Talonsin said:
    One of the things that still attracts young players to WoW was the easy-mode.  I think they are going to lose more current, young players than they attract past players back to the game with this change

Was the point of this change to attract past players?  WOW indeed!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

What's the point, though?  Why would a max level player want to go to the Barrens and fight mobs there?  Does the loot scale, too?
    Loot does scale upto the zones scaling cap.
  • BennuBennu Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Sovrath said:
    shassell said:
    . Am gone. Nobody gets my stuff. Its deleted.
    I've never understood that level of annoyance. You could just turn off the game, maybe different changes will come down the pike and will make it worthwhile.

The whole "I'm deleting my characters/account" feels like ...

I'm sorry. I haven't posted on this site in a very long time. I just lurk now. But that post me spit out my food. Good stuff sir.
    MightyUncleanSovrathSinsaiMrMelGibson
    shassell said:
    Left Elder Scrolls Online because they adopted level scaling and went to WoW only to find they are patching it in now too. What a way to ruin a decent game. On the plus side more zones are playable but for me it ruins a game world, there is no point on levelling as you fight just the same in all the zones no matter what level you are. The game detects your level and sets the mob accordingly. If you are a decent player looking for a challenge... go where. Nowhere, just have your level detected and that sets the same boring set up. Am gone. Nobody gets my stuff. Its deleted.

I gotta ask...If you really deleted your account, how much money and time invested did you throw away on your temper tantrum?
    HarikenMrMelGibsonPhryLucienRene
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    A day late and a dollar short.  Except for dedicated WoW heads leveling their umpteenth alt, this helps nobody.  It gives the appearance of making the game more fun, but just like the prohibition on flying, it depends on your taste.  Those rushing to endgame will not be amused.  And those who like to take their time were already taking their time. 

GW2's model is completely different, as you drop to the level of the zone you are in, you retain certain character items and perks.  GW2's model is also different in that they use all of their zones through their dailies rotation, so at one time or another during the week, they are all busy.  WoW has nothing like this.  Moreover, GW2's system encourages mentoring, making zone events quite a bit of fun as the most knowledgeable players lead the pack and lend a hand to accomplish goals.  Again, WoW has nothing like this. 

Blizzard has taken only a part of a system successfully used by other games and plastered it on hoping it sticks.     
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    shassell said:

I gotta ask...If you really deleted your account, how much money and time invested did you throw away on your temper tantrum?
    Nothing really,  Blizzard has seen this countless times before so they'll restore his account if he asks.
    LucienRene

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    shassell said:

Nothing really,  Blizzard has seen this countless times before so they'll restore his account if he asks.

He'll be back.
    MrMelGibson
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    I remember when all mmorpg games were referenced to WoW... it is good to see that now all games are referenced to ESO.   It is way better than WoW so it is correct that it is like this now.

Sz  :)
    TokkenKyleranMrMelGibson[Deleted User]Palebane
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    I think leveling and questing in WoW, is what I love the most. 

So .. good bye!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Others might be living under a rock or just blind,i have seen massive changes in how Blizzard does gaming and it is going downhill big time.
    Scaling is bad and some poster up there says "it stops" yeah at a maximum level but it still scales.

I was there,the FIRST game,EQ2 did scaling,turned out to be a terrible idea,the Splitpaw zone became a fast ghost town,nobody wanted to use that zone anymore and SOE saw that and never did it again.

Blizzard now so late to the party,so late to try this,it is like they didn't pay attention when SOE tried it and learned nothing.However,we are talking about a developer that thinks auto max level and raiding is all a mmorpg needs.Design some superficial game of clicking yellow markers over npc heads THEN at end game the REAL game starts ...sigh,just so sad.
    Ask any EQ2 player right now if they use Splitpaw,likely nobody does because scaling is horribly bad.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.