Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Resurrecting Warhammer Online - General Columns

Comments

• luthebearluthebear Member UncommonPosts: 2
    I enjoyed leveling twinks while doing pvp was fadter then Pven. I am really sad this game was shuting down. I expected one or two more years in it. A great addon with expanding the classes and worlds. But hell no!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I still miss my pre-nerf Warrior Priest hammering on a door and keeping everyone around me safe from burning oil by doing pretty well only that :)

TBH, I don't even remember why I quit WAR, I have nothing but good memories of it.
    MadFrenchieFonclJamesGoblin[Deleted User]Scotty787
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,927
    Iselin said:
    I still miss my pre-nerf Warrior Priest hammering on a door and keeping everyone around me safe from burning oil by doing pretty well only that :)

TBH, I don't even remember why I quit WAR, I have nothing but good memories of it.
    If I recall correctly it was because the end game gear was obtained by running the PvP scenarios where you siege the enemy home cities and it was broken to give gold bags to those who were in the battle the longest... so people never left the queues and eventually most were just AFK.
    JamesGoblinYashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:

If I recall correctly it was because the end game gear was obtained by running the PvP scenarios where you siege the enemy home cities and it was broken to give gold bags to those who were in the battle the longest... so people never left the queues and eventually most were just AFK.
    I left before that became a thing. I do remember being annoyed when half your RVR army vanished whenever a scenario popped though :)
    JamesGoblinEponyxDamor[Deleted User]YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    I enjoyed the game, but I didn't really like how the PvP was done. I didn't like the rewards for RR compared to daoc and the constant keep flipping. People rarely defended.

The game was also rushed out the door. They cut it down from 6 cities to 2, and I even remember there was talk of a 3rd faction originally.

It had solid numbers for a while, better than a lot of games can say today. If it came out 5 years later without all the corners they cut, probably would have been a hit.
    FonclJamesGoblin
  • shawn19606shawn19606 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I remember the PVP being great but the PVE not so much. Mobs getting stuck, auto- respawning...ect
    Dumping hot oil on people's head was fun.
    JamesGoblinYashaX
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    The game was great until you hit the 20s, and then the PvP was nothing but stuns and knockbacks. Unbelievably disappointing.
    TheocritusJamesGoblinTamanousSadfist
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

Iselin said:

Iselin said:

I left before that became a thing. I do remember being annoyed when half your RVR army vanished whenever a scenario popped though :)

Hahaha! That gave me a really good laugh; I remember that as well. Sieging a keep thinking you had enough to take it, only to turn around and see a third or more of the warband just disappear. Thanks for reminding me.

Great times ...
    JamesGoblinMaxBacon
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited January 2018
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

SCs are what ruined War, i complained about it in BETA testing thru live .. It destroyed the game ..
                Why build a game based upoun RvR lakes then remove the players from the lakes .. All they ever had to do was make all Gear set pieces droppable in LAkes .. at low % .. But  that alone still would have increased the Lakes pop and boosted the economy .. Foolish move to add the ScS ..

Now they could of had SCs for practice but not reward gear and XP .. maybe a currency for Cosmetics .. but .. they needed to keep players in the Lakes .. Not spend the majority of there time in town in Q

And another note a good WB did not permit queing .. that got you kiked ..
    [Deleted User]YashaX
  • NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213
    i play on here, the squishiest class(bw) and yes stuns/knockbacks can be rough...if you don't realize what class you are playing. once in a blue moon i get pulled into the enemy but i know it could be coming because im taking a risk. learn positioning its half the battle.
    Scorchien

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Golelorn said:
    The game was great until you hit the 20s, and then the PvP was nothing but stuns and knockbacks. Unbelievably disappointing.
    I remember trying to play a melee class and it was great fun until that point....Then I literally spent over half the battle not being able to do a single thing.
    JamesGoblin
  • viper1987viper1987 Member UncommonPosts: 20
    its an ok pvt server

all the changes they made kinda suck its like 1 real developer
    Lacks some serious content its like the same fight everyday with xrealmers

admins are power hungry Wargrimnir reminds of that guy from blackmirror who abuses ppl in a vr game

IselinAshanorSadfist
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    ANY criticism, no matter how polite, well-meaning, and constructive, is met with insults and a ban. These devs are children on a power trip, and they've made sure to surround themselves with a community of sycophants and yes-men. If that's the kind of community they want then fine; it's their server and they can do as they damn well please. I certainly don't want any part of it though, and would urge anyone who absolutely cannot live without WAR to play the game without saying anything which could be even remotely construed as negative in chat or on the forums. In fact, you're best off not talking to anyone and pretending the forums don't exist. And if you're going to do that, well, why play an MMORPG at all?
    AshanorNephethSadfist

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    Warhammer was actually a tragedy of a game.  I still to this day can't believe the same team that developed DAOC was responsible for putting this game together.  They basically ignore years.. years of lessons learned from DAOC and put out a game destined to fail. 

It's like they said.. we are going to ignore the greatest RvR/PvP game ever created and just go do our own things, come up with our own ideas and the people will love them!  So stupid.  
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]Aethaeryn
  • jkwengertjkwengert Member UncommonPosts: 18
    WAR was the only MMO where I actually enjoyed PVP. It fully deserves to come back as WAR II with updated graphics, etc.
    JamesGoblinHachlath[Deleted User]ZenJellyYashaX
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Luiden said:
    Warhammer was actually a tragedy of a game.  I still to this day can't believe the same team that developed DAOC was responsible for putting this game together.  They basically ignore years.. years of lessons learned from DAOC and put out a game destined to fail. 

It's like they said.. we are going to ignore the greatest RvR/PvP game ever created and just go do our own things, come up with our own ideas and the people will love them!  So stupid.  
    The team was under huge time pressure at that time and was asked to put in WoW-like content at the last minute. At least, that is what I heard about it. I was BETA testing the game a couple of months before launch and trust me when I say that that was way worse then what eventually released. Half of us testers didn't even believe they were going to release that soon but they did and for all its faults, it was a massive improvement.

As for RoR, I played there a good year ago and the community was horrible, general chat full of insults and rape jokes. The game ran reasonably well but lots of stuff didn't work. Now, I've returned last week because I wanted to play some classes I had never tried and I found a game that runs extremely well, where almost everything works and a decent community. However powerhungry the Devs might be, they are definitely putting in the work and this is a high quality private server. They can not fix the faults in the game design but this is a more lean and efficient game now then it was in its original state.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025
    edited January 2018
    Warhammer Online: One of the most fun mmorpgs from level 1-10!

... then some yahoo thought repeating the same thing over and over was a good idea. /grown.

A pity a good Warhammer MMO of either type has yet to be done right. Too bad Wow wasn't kept as the real Warhammer and left more edgy. Maybe adhering to the far more strict IP control from Games Workshop would have kept the game on a more consistent track.
    JamesGoblin[Deleted User]

You stay sassy!

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607
    DMKano said:
    WAR was a complete letdown for me - it never came together as a cohesive game.

PvE felt just like an afterthought, some PvP instances were fun - most werent. Open world PvP was a mess.

Just really disliked the game overall - won't play it again.

I mean on paper - WAR was a dream game - but man did Mythic screw the pooch on delivering the features in actual gameplay.

I mean this is from the team that brought us DAoC - WAR was worse in almost every way.
    Which is why I play on Uthgard, reliving the glory days of Dark Age of Cameltoe. :D
    ANY criticism, no matter how polite, well-meaning, and constructive, is met with insults and a ban. These devs are children on a power trip, and they've made sure to surround themselves with a community of sycophants and yes-men. If that's the kind of community they want then fine; it's their server and they can do as they damn well please. I certainly don't want any part of it though, and would urge anyone who absolutely cannot live without WAR to play the game without saying anything which could be even remotely construed as negative in chat or on the forums. In fact, you're best off not talking to anyone and pretending the forums don't exist. And if you're going to do that, well, why play an MMORPG at all?
       Hmm , i just left the forums there are dozens of thread with constructive critcism and input on balancing/fixes/changes ... Dozens of them in the General and Development sections ..Anyone can go look for themselves     https://www.returnofreckoning.com/forum/  

Most presented in respectful and reasonable fashion and nowhere do i see insults from the Devs .. Matter a fact i see the opposite ..

NephethYashaX
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited January 2018
    Luiden said:

you have no idea what actually happened back then, do ya?

what actually happened:
    a planned game with 6 cities.
    a new publisher who wanted to release earlier (not gonna name any one here *cough*EA*cough*).
    so they told mark they dont need 6 cities, 2 are fine.
    mark told em to gtfo.
    game was released with 1/3 of the needed content, and ended in the well known circle zerging.

the ideas they had for WAR were actually quite useful, you simply don't tell a developer when a game is done and when not. you ask em.
    HachlathJamesGoblinYashaX

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

edited January 2018
    Thane said:
    Luiden said:

what actually happened:
    a new publisher who wanted to release earlier (not gonna name any one here *cough*EA*cough*).
    mark told em to gtfo.
    game was released with 1/3 of the needed content, and ended in the well known circle zerging.

the ideas they had for WAR were actually quite useful, you simply don't tell a developer when a game is done and when not. you ask em.
    The part of this that is a problem for me is that after release and yes "it was pushed " but after 5 years of deveolpment , The Devs could not deliver what they sold customers on ...

And then after release even 5 years later they still did not deliver these things .. SO 10 years and the development team failed to deliver ...

They still had the oppurtunity to get it right , they had a great intial sales and community .. But the Dev team failed to steer the ship here ..And in the end with more bad decisions over this 10 year span .. It sunk .. The development team and MJ included are every bit as culpable here as the Pub EA,,, In my eyes more so .. As EA funded it for 10 years, and MJ and remaining Dev team  still could not get it right ..
  • Gobstopper3DGobstopper3D Member RarePosts: 965

Nepheth said:

Gorwe said:

Scorchien said:

I played Live War to RR 93 had my statue up in Altdorf at one point for 10 months running..

And  this private server has a better version of War running than EA did at close .. Devs have done a fine job .. Tweaking/fixing and adding content ..

The only people i have seen have trouble with these devs are those that deserve it .. By being a dick in chat or on the forums...

These devs are doing this for free .. Why should they tolerate some idiots BS .. I wouldnt .. Its hard work and they have done a fine job..

Be respectful of the devs and the community if you have a concern there a ways to discuss with out being a dick .. Otherwise enjoy the ban ..

Yeah, they have a nasty habit of silencing the critiques or advice for improving the game with "stfu ; what do you know ; are you a dev?".

While some did deserve what they got, these devs are anything but paragons of good and decent morale / behavior. They are a bunch of stuck up elitists IMMENSELY enjoying their power.

Most of forum bans happened directly because they GOADED people. They are abrasive, rude, hypocritical and sometimes outright deceitful. Not a bunch of people I want to have anything in common with.

To finalize, if they really cared about WAR as much as they claim they do, they'd release the Source Code and allow people to create their own pvt.servers. BUT! They are doing the EXACT THING they were very worried about when they bought(iirc) the code from Dyox. Corollary? They don't care that much about the game itself.

At this point I think Dyox would've handled this with more grace.

Yeah right release the source code and let other people create their own private servers. Split the already small playerbase and kill the game for good.  That's a very smart decision... I won't answer to your other claims.I still remember your old thread about how we should avoid this server because they banned you. Aww...

I have to agree with you there. I saw something like that here recently with two different teams working on Pirates of the Caribbean game. One conducted business like the devs for WAR the other were more player friendly and such. A large battle ensued between the two teams and us players/fans were caught in the middle. We almost lost both games. One of them finally threw in the towel for the good of the fan base and now we have Pirates Online to enjoy. It's better to have one than several.

I'm not an IT Specialist, Game Developer, or Clairvoyant in real life, but like others on here, I play one on the internet.

• LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    Thane said:
    Luiden said:

what actually happened:
    mark told em to gtfo.

I know exactly what happened back then, I was there.. but that's not what I'm talking about.  I'm not talking about things missing from the game because they got pushed to release.. almost any MMORPG released today will be in this situation in some manner or another.

What I'm talking about are core game design decisions that were made with blatant disregard of learned knowledge from DAOC.  For example, for open world RvR why would you create a map and show players exactly where the fights are?  If you design 20 miles of zone to fight in but then show players where to go what happens?  19.5 miles of that design is a waste of time because everybody goes where the map tells them.  This is a flaw in the RvR design and they should have learned this from when they implemented it in DAOC.  Part of the magic of DAOC was that all of the RvR zones were being utilized to some level.. once you put in a beacon on the map it destroyed that part of the game in DAOC.

There were many other decisions around in game scoreboards and basically trying to control RvR.. they didn't need to do any of that.  Let the players self generate the content when RvRing.  In some ways it was like they were just trying to create battlegrounds and not true open world RvR and it failed miserably.

The biggest mistake developers are making and continue to make is that they are ignoring what worked well in DAOC.. and I'm afraid that they Camelot Unchained may make the same mistakes.       
  • YoofaloofYoofaloof Member UncommonPosts: 217
    Loved this MMO and the public quests. I was sad to see it go.
    JamesGoblin
  • MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    wait, we are allowed to talk about fan run emulated servers now?  that is how I got my avatar.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.