Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of Elyria update from Caspien (Jan 2018)

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    Tiamat64 said:
    dadazar said:
    @Tiamat64
    What do you mean by vague promises?

The report is about what have been done, what is worked on and what will be worked on. They gave an example map of the continent, showed some screenshots of their work the biomes and tribes, informed about the planned composition of tribes in the kingdoms, released an estimated roadmap for the next month to come, showed some bits of the work on voxElyria,..
    Yep.  Promises.

All of that stuff is just promises and fluff with no dates.

The only real tangible news was losing SpatialOS.  Thus that's the only thing most people are "most excited" about in there.
    Well technically he did give a new Aprilish date for having the first wave of players in the VoxElyria (Minecraft) pre-Alpha.  I think that’s much later than the roadmap would lead me to believe but at least it’s a date!  And my gut tells me that maybe he’s starting to learn and is going to under promise and actually deliver early.  That would be a nice change.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Rhoklaw said:

So you're telling me someone spent $10,000 to be a temporary king all for the story aspect? mmmkay.
    whether it was for the story aspect, to support the studio, to stroke their epeen, or any other individual or combination of reasons, no monarch can expect to hold onto their throne for the entire storyline

this has been made abundantly clear by the studio on a number of occasions
    mystichazedadazar
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Rhoklaw said:

So you're telling me someone spent $10,000 to be a temporary king all for the story aspect? mmmkay.
    whether it was for the story aspect, to support the studio, to stroke their epeen, or any other individual or combination of reasons, no monarch can expect to hold onto their throne for the entire storyline

Yeah the mystical ways of removing kings.
    I pointed out back then that assassinating a king behind fortified walls may not be so easy.

I was told assassination is a narrow minded concept. There are other ways, complicated ways, abstract ways.

No one could actually tell me what that would look like however because it's all just bla bla.
    YashaXPingu2012
    Harbinger of Fools
    Keep in mind the earlier threads about supporting RMT.  These guys who spent 10, 20, 30 k can then spend as much as they want after launch to keep their spots.

Caspian - Today at 9:30 PM When it comes to selling in-game items in a real-world market we effectively have two choices. We can spend countless hours and resources on trying to stop and track people making money off their in-game items, or we can accept that their time has value to them. If people have a lot of time, but little money, want to use that as a way to create in-game items which they then sell to other players who have disposable income but less free-time, we view that as a win-win.

Note that was not from today but from a few months ago.  We have a prior thread that’s like 12 pages long on this so don’t want to derail but just adding context to the discussion.
    YashaX

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2018
    Here's my math

16000 is not enough
    No, it isn't, but anyone that is paying attention would notice that even now that our event has finished the pledge total keeps increasing. That suggests to me that we have new pledges joining daily with still a year+ before launch. In addition, the bulk of members are expected to join after launch because some aren't as willing to take a risk as others. 
    That means nothing if it's not enough to cover the expenses.

Is there some sort of proof I am not aware of that states SBS can't cover their expenses? Or is this just another assumption?
    Oh, assumptions.  

I've looked at what SBS has released regarding their financial records. I've looked at what MMOs have cost over the past 2 decades to make. And just doing a little napkin math....... SBS doesn't have enough money. Unless, they got an investor? 

No? 

That's what I had assumed.

Here's another couple of assumptions. The game will never release in any playable state. And, if by chance I am wrong. It will be a rushed, buggy mess that barely functions with few, if any promised features, It will be absolute trash.

JamesGoblin
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    dadazar said:
    Wasn´t the topic of this post to point out an imaginary delay of the SoE, hence, again, discrediting? And to make it even more visibile to everyone you used your "moderation" to close another neutral post who was not willing to serve your post, wasn´t it?

So, State of Elyria you might mean.
    What were you guys most excited about in that report?

Pretty much.
    dadazar
  • dadazardadazar Member UncommonPosts: 40
    edited January 2018
    Tiamat64 said:
    dadazar said:
    @Tiamat64

The report is about what have been done, what is worked on and what will be worked on. They gave an example map of the continent, showed some screenshots of their work the biomes and tribes, informed about the planned composition of tribes in the kingdoms, released an estimated roadmap for the next month to come, showed some bits of the work on voxElyria,..
    Yep.  Promises.

The only real tangible news was losing SpatialOS.  Thus that's the only thing most people are "most excited" about in there.
    Did you just repeated what my post refering to? You didn´t even seemed considering respond to my questions or points, instead just repeat and use the occasion to repost that same SpatialOS point from your post just one above in which you ironicaly implie not to repost things because the points have already been made.. What?! x)

So, let me repost you my most important question you needed to delete from the quote in your post:

> What have you been expected? <

When it is all "vague promises", "fluff" and "no dates" - what should have been in this half-yearly "report" (no delivery involved here) on the games development for not being just words?

And why would have been more dates more than promises and likely to be rant about, if not met?

Very important point here, because it could show how much one might be interested in a facts based respectful discussion.
    Tiamat64 said:
    dadazar said:
    @Tiamat64

Yep.  Promises.

Well technically he did give a new Aprilish date for having the first wave of players in the VoxElyria (Minecraft) pre-Alpha.  I think that’s much later than the roadmap would lead me to believe but at least it’s a date!  And my gut tells me that maybe he’s starting to learn and is going to under promise and actually deliver early.  That would be a nice change.
    Much better, less suspicious. Tho, still quite negative conotation involved here. Keep trying to think positive instead of negative, might improve life. ;)
    Keep in mind the earlier threads about supporting RMT.  These guys who spent 10, 20, 30 k can then spend as much as they want after launch to keep their spots.

Caspian - Today at 9:30 PM When it comes to selling in-game items in a real-world market we effectively have two choices. We can spend countless hours and resources on trying to stop and track people making money off their in-game items, or we can accept that their time has value to them. If people have a lot of time, but little money, want to use that as a way to create in-game items which they then sell to other players who have disposable income but less free-time, we view that as a win-win.

Note that was not from today but from a few months ago.  We have a prior thread that’s like 12 pages long on this so don’t want to derail but just adding context to the discussion.
    ..doh. What about the topic discussion? Was it a discussion about the crowdfunding topic?

In this regard i should use to occasion to point at, that the scope of the game is NOT becoming king and it is not about territory supremacy or that usual stuff. These are just mechanics to support the goal of the game. Meaningful stories in an authentic world with a socialPVP focus.

Let me know if i shall repeat or clear it out, so it might be better understandable.

It´s indeed pretty much abandon discussed - We do controversial "conversations" in your so called "ivory tower" (shall that mean the place where you´re no "epic moderator")
    Post edited by dadazar on
    YashaX
    edited January 2018
    Dakeru said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Yeah the mystical ways of removing kings.
    I pointed out back then that assassinating a king behind fortified walls may not be so easy.

I was told assassination is a narrow minded concept. There are other ways, complicated ways, abstract ways.

No one could actually tell me what that would look like however because it's all just bla bla.
    "mystical ways of removing kings" - Why do you think are they mystical. Don´t tell me because we can´t play and know it yet, because the game is still developed, pls.

"I pointed out back then that assassinating a king behind fortified walls may not be so easy." - Aside you seem to point to a lot of things. (Reminds me of my 1y old nephew here :3 ) Why do you think it "may" be not so easy? Do you think a stealthy assassin is not made for getting behind fortified walls?

"I was told assassination is a narrow minded concept." - uhuh.. You´ve been told. Rly? And do you know why the teller told you that? Is there a reason?

"There are other ways, complicated ways, abstract ways." - "Mystical" indeed. Are there. Maybe you want to reveal those mystical ways to us?

"No one could actually tell me what.." - How would it look like in the final game you mean? The game that still is under development. Ok, at least, it´s some kind of point.
    Here's my math

16000 is not enough
    No, it isn't, but anyone that is paying attention would notice that even now that our event has finished the pledge total keeps increasing. That suggests to me that we have new pledges joining daily with still a year+ before launch. In addition, the bulk of members are expected to join after launch because some aren't as willing to take a risk as others. 
    That means nothing if it's not enough to cover the expenses.

Is there some sort of proof I am not aware of that states SBS can't cover their expenses? Or is this just another assumption?
    Oh, assumptions.  

I've looked at what SBS has released regarding their financial records. I've looked at what MMOs have cost over the past 2 decades to make. And just doing a little napkin math....... SBS doesn't have enough money. Unless, they got an investor? 

No? 

That's what I had assumed.

Here's another couple of assumptions. The game will never release in any playable state. And, if by chance I am wrong. It will be a rushed, buggy mess that barely functions with few, if any promised features, It will be absolute trash.

Yea, assumptions are generally that what don´t rely on actual facts or just a few glimpses. Like speculations with some statistics and no clue which factors are left out in that "assumption". Clearly, as one can see, you´re reason excels your clear mind.
    Post edited by dadazar on
    Pingu2012Slapshot1188
    Ok I've had it.
    You guys are talking so much rubbish that I will join the cult of the anti cult just to make a clear statement against you.
    I'm changing my ava to that of a Harbinger.

If anyone had bothered to be informed about this community and developments in the last years you would know that your game is not the special snowflake you take it for.
    It's just a number in a long line of overpromised and failed projects.

Slap has always had a critical eye on shady projects and all those games were closed or rather never saw the day of light.

And here's the deal:
    If you people really feel that he is out to destroy games then get ready to piss your pants.

BECAUSE YOUR GAME IS NEXT!
    YashaXKyleran
    Harbinger of Fools
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Until lately I have been taking a peek at this game now and then, seeing how it was doing and what features were being introduced. The devs never really inspired much confidence in me but I thoroughly appreciate their enthusiasm.
    Yet, the more I get acquainted with their players the more I feel this urge to wish them the worst.

The idea of asking the community to white-knight the game around the internet was debatable at best, but couldn't they at least send the smart guys over here?
    WellspringSlapshot1188YashaXJamesGoblinDakeruBLNXEponyxDamorIselinGaladournKyleranand 1 other.
    edited January 2018
    Until lately I have been taking a peek at this game now and then, seeing how it was doing and what features were being introduced. The devs never really inspired much confidence in me but I thoroughly appreciate their enthusiasm.
    Yet, the more I get acquainted with their players the more I feel this urge to wish them the worst.

The idea of asking the community to white-knight the game around the internet was debatable at best, but couldn't they at least send the smart guys over here?
    Exactly.  I say let them keep going.   But remember the stated goal by Caspien himself. It wasn’t to engage in honest debate.  It was to “Shut Down” people. So the goal is to stifle speech so just don’t engage them.  The only winning move is not to play their game.  

@Dakeru The goal is to actually get someone to eventually listen to reason. I sat through the call when Lisa tearfully announced she was laying off almost the whole Pathfinder Online studio.  It’s sucks.  The real damage to that game, much like this one is done by people who surround the developers in a bubble of alternate reality.  When your response to reading the State of Elyria and finding out they ditched SpatialOS for multiple in-house developed open source solutions is “Praise the Caspian” something is seriously wrong over there.  That’s not a made up quote... that’s the actual response!

Switching the fabric the game was built on is a big deal.  It may have been unavoidable... remember when these same folks were screaming that it was a positive and how dare Slapshot not list it as such?   This is why.  But IMHO now that the tech has proven not to be a good fit, they should be realistic about what is achievable with these open source programs and rescale expectations. 
    Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    YashaXEponyxDamor

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    dadazar said:

I can´t see how you are allowed to moderate and lead all post about CoE here.
    Pretty shady in itself.
    Harbinger is not a moderator on these forums (as far as I know).
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblin
    @Slapshot1188 I know what your intentions are but they think you just want to wreck games.
    They labeled you as the Harbinger and coined that term as something evil that brings bad fortune.

They love roleplaying so much - seems only logical to pick up on this and turn this into a self fullfilling prophecy.
    GeezerGamer
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited January 2018
    dadazar said:

Yea, assumptions are generally that what don´t rely on actual facts or just a few glimpses. Like speculations with some statistics and no clue which factors are left out in that "assumption". Clearly, as one can see, you´re reason excels your clear mind.
    And exactly what facts are you relying on?

Every argument you have made is an assumption founded in your belief that Caspian can deliver what he promised.

Yours is only the other side of the same coin you know.
    DakerucheyaneYashaX
    Dakeru said:
    @Slapshot1188 I know what your intentions are but they think you just want to wreck games.
    They labeled you as the Harbinger and coined that term as something evil that brings bad fortune.

They love roleplaying so much - seems only logical to pick up on this and turn this into a self fullfilling prophecy.
    They are tilting at windmills.
    Dakeru
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749

I'm in a similar boat as you ...

I've been quietly watching CoE's development myself, as I find some of the concepts rather interesting. Even though its really not much more than an RP-enforced Life is Feudal, it seemed interesting enough to keep an eye on. I never backed originally because I've been bitten before, and there were several red flags regarding the team/plan that I've seen in other failed crowdfunded MMOs. But SBS was touting SpatialOS as being the key to allowing them to create an MMO without having to worry about all the things that make developing an MMO difficult.

However, as Slapshot said, hinging your entire development process/timeline on unproven tech with an unproven team with no MMO experience and limited funding has ended badly before ... So, I didn't back the game.

Now that SpatialOS is suddenly out the window, when just three months ago it was stated to be a "solid framework" and that there was "no doubt it can do what we want it to do" ... It really made me doubtful about the viability of the product to reach a launched state. And I just don't buy the story that SBS came up with their own in-house solution to SpatialOS within a few months based on the original pitch.

Combine that with SBS not having met *very* early development milestones, having a "friends and family" only pre-alpha (that there is *very* little information about), and having presented a two-person jousting game at PAX that has little to do with what CoE is pitched as ... Definitely a no-go for me at this point.
    Slapshot1188
    edited January 2018
    YashaX said:
    dadazar said:

I can´t see how you are allowed to moderate and lead all post about CoE here.
    Pretty shady in itself.
    Harbinger is not a moderator on these forums (as far as I know).
    At least someone is responding to the points i´ve made. Thank you!

_____

There is no certainty on a crowdfunded project. I´m not here to convince anyone otherwise on that matter.

> All i try to point at is the overall toxic, malitious and unreasonable tone on this forum and from some few particular overly engaged accounts. <

And as most responses demonstrate, you again don´t seem to respond to particular points, or rather dissections of your pretensionous, toxic and "rubbish" talk.
    You again, start over again with your semi-facts, unfavored interpretations and stigmating mantras. Talking badly, insulting and praise your epicness.

Of course, i´m a positive side of that coin. I at least try to be reasonable. I has never been send here, nor did i knew about a call for it. Tho, as i stated earlyer, i can´t see something wrong with it to ask to slay this ugly, toxic blob around here. I just saw you talking intentionaly badly about it here. Not much reason involved. You just rely on such semi-facts like the out of context trying-to-be-first hail-screenshot.

I don´t even try to convince you.
    I just want to show what bunch of posts are thrown around here for the passerby.

You don´t seem to be able to debate with reason and respect. How much value can one give to such opinions?
    EponyxDamorSlapshot1188
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Here's my math

16000 is not enough
    I noted the use of "our" and "we", are you an employee of the company? 

Would explain the zeal you exhibit in the games defense. 
    EponyxDamorJamesGoblin

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

dadazar said:
    Dakeru said:
    dadazar said:

Would you tell me now why you are so dedicated to convince people of your opinion? 
    You of all people ask this? 
    I lost count but isn't this like your 6th account here?
    er, sry?

I´m dedicated because i´m positivly enganged. Meaning, i would like to see CoE´s concept become real, and i support its development with the risky pledge of money and good will. I took a look at this platform and saw some(?) people reassuring each other with noting everything CoE related quite badly and with unfavor, very engaged in creating and commenting post in the games forum on this shady platform. And i asked myself, and you as well btw, why is someone so engaged with speaking bad about this only promising concept i can see on the whole market?
    I really don´t care how experienced they are, or are incompetent or not, or if my money is lost or not.

I want to support and vote (with my effort and money) for change in this mush of MMOs out there.

Speaking of multipile accounts, hm?

So, why do you guy(s) ranting quite constantly about a game you consider a fail anyway?
    "I am the Lorax. I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues."

It's something like that.....

;)
    DakeruSlapshot1188JamesGoblin

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

YashaX said:
    cheyane said:
    Sorry who is harbinger ? I looked at the poster's name and could not find that name. Or is that Slap's nick?
    Slap has been dubbed the harbinger of truth.
    While I am the self proclaimed "Harbinger of Failure."

Come visit us on Mount Doom sometime.

B)
    JamesGoblinYashaX

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    edited January 2018
    If the project isn't set to release in 2018, what's the latest they could delay the game to releasing, 2020, 2021?

You can get a refund if you explain the circumstances to your CC company, right? Not saying everyone should force a refund, but it would be justified from the CC company's perspective?

My other question of SBS's "OPC" concept, has it ever been done before? Is it even feasible considering the expected hundreds of thousands of players, let alone the promise of smart AI?

What is the stigma for failed projects on the development team in the MMO industry?

Very curious about the questions above

JamesGoblin
    Harbinger of Citrus:

The game has no chance of release this year and that is acknowledged by the development team.  At this time 2020 is the most common projected date of most folks. Whether it's too late? Who knows.  I think you will see test cases come in the form of CU and Crowfall.   

As for the refund... I'm not a lawyer but my experience is that you can do such a chargeback.  I did so for only 1 game in my life (not even a Stream refund) and it was Mortal Online.  They gave a release date projection and also attempted to enforce a no-refund policy.  They missed their release date by a mile... and were IMHO being dicks about it so I simply filed a claim with my card company and showed the ETA date and explained I had received nothing.  I do not personally encourage people to go that route unless all other options have been pursued, but morally I do not believe it right for 1 party to substantially change the "deal" without offering the other party a chance to change their mind.

I have heard of other games with limited OPC concepts but nothing remotely close to what is proposed for SoE

Stigma for failed projects?  Who knows... Snipehunter was the Lead Designer for the failed Rivival MMO but SBS scooped him up for a similar role in Elyria.  I think it depends on your prior success.  If you have proven something in the past you might get a pass for a bad game.  If it's your first try though I think it would cling to you more.

JamesGoblinEponyxDamor

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2018
    Harbinger of Citrus:

The game has no chance of release this year and that is acknowledged by the development team.  At this time 2020 is the most common projected date of most folks. Whether it's too late? Who knows.  I think you will see test cases come in the form of CU and Crowfall.   

Can I be the Harbinger of Jests?

2020 is ridiculously optimstic.  MMORPGs typically take 4+ years and this game hasn't even started development yet.  At most, a separate MUD "game" is in "private testing" that might have some tools they'll use to make the actual game.  ...heck, on that note, especially with the loss of Spatial OS, the TOOLS to make this game haven't even been developed yet.

With their team now reduced per the latest State of the Studio update, then I imagine that even if this company were somehow able to stay funded, you'd see the game in 2021 at the most (and probably 2022 or further.  I'd say likely 2023+, really).  Though I doubt the company will survive now.
    KyleranYashaXJamesGoblincjmarsh
  • oranjeddoranjedd Member CommonPosts: 1
    Tiamat64 said:
    Harbinger of Citrus:

Can I be the Harbinger of Jests?

2020 is ridiculously optimstic.  MMORPGs typically take 4+ years and this game hasn't even started development yet.  At most, a separate MUD "game" is in "private testing" that might have some tools they'll use to make the actual game.  ...heck, on that note, especially with the loss of Spatial OS, the TOOLS to make this game haven't even been developed yet.

With their team now reduced per the latest State of the Studio update, then I imagine that even if this company were somehow able to stay funded, you'd see the game in 2021 at the most (and probably 2022 or further.  I'd say likely 2023+, really).  Though I doubt the company will survive now.

I don't think so.

They  started their prject in 2016 with the gaming engine (soulbound) ready.
    Surely they are slowed down because of their reduced team and their financial problems, but they succeed in create the right hype, having a very good KS.
    It isn't a simple project, but they're working hard, gaining achievement  day by day.
    The team will release the beta version in 2018/2019, so a full release in 2020 isn't improbable.
    JamesGoblin
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited February 2018
    oranjedd said:

I don't think so.

They  started their prject in 2016 with the gaming engine (soulbound) ready.
    Surely they are slowed down because of their reduced team and their financial problems, but they succeed in create the right hype, having a very good KS.
    It isn't a simple project, but they're working hard, gaining achievement  day by day.
    The team will release the beta version in 2018/2019, so a full release in 2020 isn't improbable.

Beta possibly within a year?  They haven't even STARTED on the alpha yet. O_o  Or hell, anything you could even call a pre-alpha.  Or possibly any game code at all. They're still in the "We have a MUD that may contain the tools we'll use in the game!" phase (although calling that a phase is an insult to videogame development)

It's likely the whole reason they can so easily ditch SpatialOS despite it being the foundation is because they had NOTHING on top of that foundation anyways.
    JamesGoblinKyleran