Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dauntless - PAX South Preview - Continuing Onward & Upward - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageDauntless - PAX South Preview - Continuing Onward & Upward - MMORPG.com

At PAX South this past weekend we got a full hands on preview with the new weapon and new boss. There are several additions that have been updated in the game and so during our demo we decided to try out the War Pike. This weapon type brings piercing attacks to the game, which we will discuss later. Of the two new behemoths they were demoing we chose the harder fight against Kharabak. This giant insect is fast and has a bag full of tricks which can really frustrate our heroes.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

otto003

Comments

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Looking forward to this game, I love the way game plays so much smoother than Monster Hunter world and its 30 fps. The graphics are more cartooney than MHW but they look great.
    otto003
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    From what was shown it seemed extremely slow compared to what I think of when I think of monster hunter, but that being said I don't know the extent of what was available to play.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    If Dauntless can survive the short term as a monster hunter competitor, I think it will have a bright long term future. I don't think that MHW will get the same kind of long term developer support that a f2p online game like Dauntless will get. I could be wrong, but Dauntless' model requires longevity whereas Capcom will move development to a sequel.
  • Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    Dauntless has till autumn to prove itself cause if it doesn't MHW will destroy it simply on the fact its a more known IP.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Torval said:
    I don't mind stylized graphics but they're all starting to look very similar to each other.

I like the weapon sizes in this game better. Oversized weapons are so overdone. It's time to give that a break for a while. I know it's a hallmark of MH series, but it's starting to wear a bit, just too otaku in the more literal sense.

The combat in MHO looks better though. This looks clunkier. Maybe it's not, but it comes across that way. I'd have to try it out to know for sure whether that is a real problem for me, or just the videos I've seen.
    I personally tried it, it's clunky and not that great tbh.
    [Deleted User]Kajidourden

• hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    tried it (get code for free) and really, after some fight i've just uninstalled it BUT to compensate this lost time, i found my good old psp and killed some really dragons! :)
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Sector13 said:

Dauntless has till autumn to prove itself cause if it doesn't MHW will destroy it simply on the fact its a more known IP.

It's already won, MH is on PS4 already and doing great. By the time this goes on pc MH would of killed it, this game doesn't look nowhere near as polished as MH.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So slashing and piercing are just words and don't really carry any meaning behind them in conjunction with the mob likely not having any varied resistances either.
    So either poorly done article or the combat is weak at best with just fancy weapons.Another example,nothing mentioned on misses,can you actually miss with that cannon shot,or is all the combat just hit and never miss,yeah not a very well done article if trying to explain the combat.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Having played the beta, it is unimpressive.  The combat is slower than monster hunter, and there's FAR fewer weapons.

The other problem is there's VERY little to do outside of going on a hunt.  In fact there is literally nothing else to do.  Even when you go to use your body parts all you're doing it crafting a piece of equipment, which is done in a menu.

Combat needs a lot of work, and they need to have more than one thing to do; especially since the combat is so boring.
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Bloodaxes said:
    Torval said:
    I don't mind stylized graphics but they're all starting to look very similar to each other.

I like the weapon sizes in this game better. Oversized weapons are so overdone. It's time to give that a break for a while. I know it's a hallmark of MH series, but it's starting to wear a bit, just too otaku in the more literal sense.

The combat in MHO looks better though. This looks clunkier. Maybe it's not, but it comes across that way. I'd have to try it out to know for sure whether that is a real problem for me, or just the videos I've seen.
    I personally tried it, it's clunky and not that great tbh.

This.  I forgot to include the perfect descriptor....clunky.