Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gothic 3 better than Skyrim

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Gothic 3 is great (with a community patch included). Gothic 2 too, I played this one a lot longer then 3.

But I only still play Skyrim out of these three games, because of mods. So if I look at the amount of hours I put in those 3 games, Skyrim comes easily out on top for me.
    Iselin
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited January 2018
    Hariken said:
    The Gothic games to me had weird controls. I know you can sort of change them but i just didn't like them.

I'm really not trying to hype the controls but I'm not having any problems with the given mouse and keyboard.  The only thing that sets it apart from standard is space bar is draw weapon and I think alt right next to it is jump.... Big reason for this... A big part of the game is draw and put away your weapon.  So this becomes natural quickly, and you don't have to jump too often because the land scape is easy to navigate.  I don't miss space bar being jump at all. 

As a side note,  If you get killed by an NPC, they laugh at you call you a name and take your weapon and a little money.  Or you can easily load a save.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Considering Skyrim is still one of the most played games on all platforms, I'm going to say most people prefer Skyrim to Gothic. 

I still play Skyrim myself, just got it on the switch too, Gothic also has aged badly. Every time I tried to play it I was reminded of the game "Two Worlds" which I hate.

"Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

klash2def said:
    Considering Skyrim is still one of the most played games on all platforms, I'm going to say most people prefer Skyrim to Gothic. 

I still play Skyrim myself, just got it on the switch too, Gothic also has aged badly. Every time I tried to play it I was reminded of the game "Two Worlds" which I hate.

I'll agree Skyrim is most played. 

Gothic 3 is from 2005, what would anyone expect.  It's also a game that was severally broken at launch and stayed that way for years, we all know how that goes (would never recover popularity no matter what they do)..... It's extremely fixed now.  

I have to add, not sure of the balancing of builds, have not gotten that far yet.  However other than the original YouTube I posted that is saying it's not balanced, I don't know any other complaints. 

Aged badly ?  
    Well, I was expecting this too, but surprisingly no ! 

Most all YouTube's are from 2005.  YouTube quality was bad back then, nothing looked good. 

I turned resolution to max and it's beautiful.  Floral, draw distance, caves and beaches all look great.  Moving across the land and inside buildings is not annoying.  Menus are easy, harvesting is easy pick up, crafting is very simple, if you have the mats you can make it.... Best thing is unlimited bag space.... Wow that's nice ! 

Best way to describe it is like "Dragons Dogma".... A two year old game with average graphics.   
    klash2defDomain33X
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    Delete really does like lost causes and going out on a limb. I think the limb snapped for him on this one. But Gothic 3 is a far better game than it is given credit for. No way is it better than Skyrim but certainly worth a buy.
    Phryklash2def
    Scot said:
    Delete really does like lost causes and going out on a limb. I think the limb snapped for him on this one. But Gothic 3 is a far better game than it is given credit for. No way is it better than Skyrim but certainly worth a buy.

Could understand you saying this.  

Many would find "a" game and decide to hype it, just because it's what they decide to play at the time.  But I'm really not kidding with this one.  I spend a lot of free time (unfortunately not much lately) searching for a fix. I played all the mainstream Fallout 4, Witcher, same with mmorpg's, all except BDO and it's cash shop playground for kids. 

The well went dry and I found this baby, it truly is good ! 

Other off beat games: 
    - Vanilla WoW private server's 
    - P1999 (EQ1) 
    - Dragons Dogma 
    - Mass Effect 2
    - Add your list here
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Didn't think the first 2 games were all that much cop tbh, even Gothic 3 didn't impress me all that much, maybe because i prefer to have character creation in my games, but even ignoring that part, i didn't really think all that much of Gothic 3 anyway, its not my type of game, though Skyrim was/is a game i really enjoy playing, not that i ever did the main skyrim quest line as it was more of an option than anything. :/
    Ikeda
    Phry said:
    Didn't think the first 2 games were all that much cop tbh, even Gothic 3 didn't impress me all that much, maybe because i prefer to have character creation in my games, but even ignoring that part, i didn't really think all that much of Gothic 3 anyway, its not my type of game, though Skyrim was/is a game i really enjoy playing, not that i ever did the main skyrim quest line as it was more of an option than anything. :/

Different people different taste, 
    Gothic 3 and Skyrim are similar being open world, large and RP and doing what ever you want. In fact I liked Skyrim too, played it twice, but Gothic 3 puts a different spin on it if you like that style and looking for more of the same.. 

Character creation at the beginning and molding your character as you play are about the same as far as likes to me..... However I like the idea that I still have to make a decision on Archery or magic soon.  This gives me the feeling of wanting more :)
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    edited January 2018
    Gorwe said:
    I wanted to write this earlier(and I did, but my Windows Phone derped):

Almost everything's better than Skyrim. Skyrim is an exemplar of modern mainstream RPG. Almost completely soulless. ESO's protagonist could be a direct commentary on state of Skyrim. lol

Some better RPGs:

-> Morrowind
    -> Mass Effect(especially 2)
    -> Dragon Age: Origins
    -> Baldur's Gate(especially 2)
    -> Shadowrun: Dragonfall
    -> Gothic 2 and 3
    -> van Helsing(really an underrated game if any)
    -> Dark Souls
    -> Planescape
    -> Vampire: the Masquerade games
    -> Deus Ex
    -> Pillars of Eternity
    -> Vermintide(even it could pass due to episodic story nature)

Even MMOs:

-> WoW
    -> EQ series
    -> LoTR:O
    -> SWTOR
    -> Guild Wars series

Really, Skyrim's such an overused, overhyped game...god! There are MUCH better games.
    I like all those games you mentioned (apart from the few I have yet to play), but in terms of an open world game, nothing has really topped the experiences I had in Skyrim for some reason. For all its flaws and limitations, it just has something magical about how it all comes together that other open world rpgs haven't been able to beat yet.
    Gorweklash2defDomain33X
    Gorwe said:
    YashaX said:
    Gorwe said:
    I wanted to write this earlier(and I did, but my Windows Phone derped):

Almost everything's better than Skyrim. Skyrim is an exemplar of modern mainstream RPG. Almost completely soulless. ESO's protagonist could be a direct commentary on state of Skyrim. lol

Some better RPGs:

-> Morrowind
    -> Mass Effect(especially 2)
    -> Dragon Age: Origins
    -> Baldur's Gate(especially 2)
    -> Shadowrun: Dragonfall
    -> Gothic 2 and 3
    -> van Helsing(really an underrated game if any)
    -> Dark Souls
    -> Planescape
    -> Vampire: the Masquerade games
    -> Deus Ex
    -> Pillars of Eternity
    -> Vermintide(even it could pass due to episodic story nature)

Even MMOs:

-> WoW
    -> EQ series
    -> LoTR:O
    -> SWTOR
    -> Guild Wars series

Really, Skyrim's such an overused, overhyped game...god! There are MUCH better games.
    I like all those games you mentioned (apart from the few I have yet to play), but in terms of an open world game, nothing has really topped the experiences I had in Skyrim for some reason. For all its flaws and limitations, it just has something magical about how it all comes together that other open world rpgs haven't been able to beat yet.
    Well, yes quite. The fact I don't care about it is my personal thing. Nothing else. And imo, Skyrim has nothing going for it except modding and open world. It's really quite bland otherwise.

Strictly Skyrim..... Now that you mention it, both times I got tired of it because nothing new happens ever.  You could not expect anything jolting or unexpected EVER ! 

Making your sneaking, tanking or archery or magic real good is about the extent of my fun, once I reach that it's over.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    edited January 2018
    Well, it's much better than the first time I tried it. Could be a mixture of this patch and that I have a much better computer.

I'm not sure i'd say it was "better" than anything but it does have enough fun elements that I'm going to continue. It's hard to tell as it's from quite a few years back. There are also some really odd design decisions as well as control decisions.

I always wondered what some developers were thinking. At least they can be mapped differently.

So I suppose "Thanks Delete" for the recommendation.
    lahnmir
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    klash2def said:

It's extremely fixed now.  

Best way to describe it is like "Dragons Dogma".... A two year old game with average graphics.   
    I would say it's "reasonably fixed.

I had some enemies just "stop" attacking me. I then started attacking them again and their AI kicked in and they came after me. I have a follower who is helpful but then useless. He gets stuck on things and I have to go back and find him and lead him out.

Because the followers can die I've figured out I'm better taking on very large groups by myself and giving him a break. If you tell your follower to "wait" they will wait but won't attack your enemies if you pass the follower. The enemies won't attack your follower in this state.

Enemies also come at you in a straight line so in some cases, it's easier to pick them off by using ranged and just backing up.

I do like that they utilize more blocking. The AI isn't bad it's just all over the place, sometimes good and sometimes not.

Dragon's Dogma looks much better and is in much better shape.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:
    Well, it's much better than the first time I tried it. Could be a mixture of this patch and that I have a much better computer.

I'm not sure i'd say it was "better" than anything but it does have enough fun elements that I'm going to continue. It's hard to tell as it's from quite a few years back. There are also some really odd design decisions as well as control decisions.

I always wondered what some developers were thinking. At least they can be mapped differently.

I may not be the most well liked around here, but we have to stick together to find games.  Many of us are without one. 

Anyway, The game starts you off with a sward and a starter bow. It seems that one would be compelled to put points into that.  I think you have to know what your doing if you wanted to go with magic or something, so you don't waist points in other things before you realize you want magic. 

So for now I'm going deep into Sward Shield with and bow.  

Have fun Sovrath, it really is an immersive game :)
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Seriously, someone posts a video of Gothic3 and literally all I hear are stupid ass grunts and groans through the whole video.  I don't see a "better" as I think they are different.  I prefer playing Skyrim whereas I never make it very far in G3 (even though I've tried).
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited January 2018
    1. Morrowind, I don't even know where to start, it has been like a religion to me for over 3 years.
    2. Gothic 3. Yes, it has the PB flavor you love or hate. But god, I love it.
    3. Might & Magic 6. I don't know why, couldn't get enough of it.
    25. Skyrim. It sure ain't bad. But it isn't exciting either.

And just in case someone wonders if these are my all time favorite RPGs, no. Those would be console exclusive, namely Skies of Arcadia Legends and Panzer Dragoon Saga. Above are just my Western style open world rpg favorites.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
     I like Skyrim better! Mods! Better Graphics! Better combat! Lots of races to play!  No disrespect to Gothic 3....... I'm sure it's a decent game...... but it is not comparable to Skyrim.
    [Deleted User]Domain33X

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

I was just deep into a bandit hideout to kill a guy named Ortaga, I had to systematically take out all the guards by ranged bow from below where they couldn't get me or make them chase me to where they would separate. Then one at a time, healing myself in the process.  

When just left the hideout, I got stung by a scorpion and poisoned to death.  I have potions, but didn't know how to react in time ( I could have had them in my action bar, but first time poisoned). 

So yes their is strategies, not sure if it would get repetitive or not yet. 

The quest are unique, if you would even call them quest.  More like hints, and if you stumble on the hint you will know after you do it and get exp. If you let the guy know you did it for him, you get even more....... It's different !
    [Deleted User]
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    The Gothic series, and quite a bit of the smaller open world RPG games like it, seem to have this weird feeling while playing that isn't quite bad but just feels off. The controlls aren't super responsive, and the bugs are usually insane in the launch (taking up to a couple of years to fix sometimes). It felt the same way Two Worlds felt to me, as well as Risen, or even the first two Witcher games. 
    [Deleted User]
    Sovrath said:

I may not be the most well liked around here, but we have to stick together to find games.  Many of us are without one. 

Anyway, The game starts you off with a sward and a starter bow. It seems that one would be compelled to put points into that.  I think you have to know what your doing if you wanted to go with magic or something, so you don't waist points in other things before you realize you want magic. 

So for now I'm going deep into Sward Shield with and bow.  

Have fun Sovrath, it really is an immersive game :)
    Thank you Delete. I would say it's probably not "you" who is disliked but you have some interesting posts that raise eyebrows. I'm sure if we were all out at the pub we'd all have a grand time.

I'm level 4 but couldn't figure out how to level. Had to look it up.
    ConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

I was just deep into a bandit hideout to kill a guy named Ortaga, I had to systematically take out all the guards by ranged bow from below where they couldn't get me or make them chase me to where they would separate. Then one at a time, healing myself in the process.  

When just left the hideout, I got stung by a scorpion and poisoned to death.  I have potions, but didn't know how to react in time ( I could have had them in my action bar, but first time poisoned). 

So yes their is strategies, not sure if it would get repetitive or not yet. 

The quest are unique, if you would even call them quest.  More like hints, and if you stumble on the hint you will know after you do it and get exp. If you let the guy know you did it for him, you get even more....... It's different !
    I killed him last night. That was the example above I used. I had to set my follower aside because he was rushing into the mob of guys and then he would die.

The Gothic series, and quite a bit of the smaller open world RPG games like it, seem to have this weird feeling while playing that isn't quite bad but just feels off. The controlls aren't super responsive, and the bugs are usually insane in the launch (taking up to a couple of years to fix sometimes). It felt the same way Two Worlds felt to me, as well as Risen, or even the first two Witcher games. 

I'll be honest, So far just two bugs. 

- My first hour I had to kill an Orc in a small shack, the adds kept re-spawning quickly.  Got the mission done, but later I realize nothing in the game should re-spawn. 

- Then when raiding an orc camp, a ranged archer kept hitting me and I couldn't find him even in a wide open field.  A few minuet's later he was on me, so I finally took him out. 
    edited January 2018
    Yeah, there's sort of a "Two Worlds" sort of vibe going on with it.

The game has a creaky feel.
    MrMelGibson

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Do I have big boots to fill trying to prove this :) 

Before I start on Gothic 3 I would like to point out another game that brought me to Gothic 3 

In my quest to study Elex a new game from an old developer called Piranha Bytes,  I found Elex total overall style completely "innovative in every detail", yet so many bad reviews, however this is arguable.  This game has a huge swing between good and bad. Being $50 at release I decided to not take a chance.

So I decided to investigate other games by Piranha Bytes and found Gothic 3.  

Surprisingly back in 2005 Gothic 3 had the same mixed reviews for the same exact reasons.  Being "innovative in every detail" the public had mixed reactions because of this.  

During the Steam Winter sale, I picked it up for $2.95(now I think its $10).  Finally I had some free time I loaded it yesterday morning and can't stop playing. 

About Gothic 3: 
    Huge seamless open world, no quest markers instead you talk to npc's and they give you hints as quest.  As you play you naturally complete them as you explore.  The story is amazing and I totally hate story driven games.  Everything is voice acting and best of all, decisions extremely count in everything you do, 10x more than any EA games EVER !! 

As the story progresses you score points with all three factions Rebels, Orc's and later Hashishin.  You talk to everyone and eventually you need to make an over all decision and pick a side ( not that far yet, but I see my faction points building to the Rebels as planed).

Here's the best part.... Abilities !!!!!..... As you level you gain ability points.  This along with level and money you can mold your character in to anything you like.  Two swords, sword and shield, one hander, bow, cross bow, magic, and many more, it's endless on combinations.  All this but you have to find the trainers.  If you talk to everyone this doesn't seem to be a problem. 

Graphics..... Surprisingly better than old Youtube's make them out to be.  Comparable to Dragons Dogma.  

Combat...... Here's where the controversy comes into play.  Three difficulty levels low normal and high.  The game is hard on normal I lowered it to low, and it's still hard and just about right.  Piranha Bytes are the masters of mixing hot bar and real time combat.  It's so much fun switching between bow and hand weapons, yet you have to put it away to loot and enter towns.  It's extremely easy to get an entire town upset with you, then not much more to have to fight them all.  Simply pulling your sward starts a possible mess.  Save often !

Never was a game with better AI !!!!!!!  

Gothic 3 was an original mess for years until they came out with a patch that truly fixed everything.  Here's a video of a guy explaining how it's both a mess and a great game.  I DON'T SEE THE MESS !!  

I'm extremely late, I have to go !!  

Have to add this: 
    I was just in a deep cave, and it was so scary I almost shit my pants.... Way better than anything Skyrim !
    problem here is is not skyrim is good, is just fuck loaded with mods who make it better, also skyrim had a lot of high res packs done for it(modders and the official) so its better to look at then a 2005 game.

with elex the problem was more then likely, what I noticefrom start, extremely hard in the start cheap easy in the end, can't say anything is inovative, for me I saw several points on old games, not a bad thing but its start to get clunky and anything over 3 or more mobs you need to lure and leave or cheat your way win, how did I cheat on this game to make even the last battle easy? plasma rifle with explosive rounds, every shot you don't even need to aim on the target close is enough then keep shooting, any other ranged attack is kinda pointless since its don't stagger the enemys, and changing weapons during combat is annoying since it pretty slow, shield also make you do less dps becasue your special skill change for teh shield one and in melee you kill most with the special.

so pretty much or you cheat or you will have a hard time, also the way the game ended is just push for a DLC or a elex2 so you are kinda forced to play it again IF you find the story interesting enough to know how it would end

and taht video one gothci 3 jsut show you need to do the same attack move over and over till the target is dead, yeah not a good thing, it does kinda remember me elex, so in the end after a decade the same devs hardly learned about gameplay and jsut worked n graphics(even so it was not that good)
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Torval said:
    lahnmir said:
    1. Morrowind, I don't even know where to start, it has been like a religion to me for over 3 years.
    2. Gothic 3. Yes, it has the PB flavor you love or hate. But god, I love it.
    3. Might & Magic 6. I don't know why, couldn't get enough of it.
    25. Skyrim. It sure ain't bad. But it isn't exciting either.

And just in case someone wonders if these are my all time favorite RPGs, no. Those would be console exclusive, namely Skies of Arcadia Legends and Panzer Dragoon Saga. Above are just my Western style open world rpg favorites.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Might & Magic 6 is fantastic. I still play it sometimes
    Ubisoft gave the M&M series away over holiday. I picked everything up for $4.16 on GoG. So sweet.

Gothic 1 is a minor pain in the ass to get working on Steam. I've got it patched to the latest version (from a download on their site), but I've held off on the two community patches. Those come with tradeoffs and I'm not sure I want to hassle with them. I just want to get the meat of the story down so I can dive into Gothic 2.
    Gothic 2 is probably the best one from the series.

Regarding M&M, you got it at a bargain price. Being an experienced gamer, I assume you probably already played the 6th one (Mandate of Heaven)?

If not, you are about to start a great adventure should you decide to give it a try :). It is an old game, 20 years if I am not mistaken, but it does not matter at all. It still looks good, imo.
    M&M wise I strongely recommend playing 3, 4, 5, and 6. To me they are definitely the best ones. 100s of hours of fun guarenteed. The 'new' one is pretty good too, I was surprised.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,991
    Well at least we are getting some interest going for Gothic 3 and that type of RPG, that's a good thing. :)