Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : MMOFTW - The Return! We're back!

Comments

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Yeah nice it's back. I've been missing a weekly or bi-weekly (or whatever, as long as it's about MMO(RPG)) to the point news video.
  • PriddypwnyPriddypwny Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Cool looking forward to watching these every week Bill! Thanks for bringing it back!
    Mitara
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353

TaishiFox said:

Awesome! I liked watching these, even though some stuff I wasn't interested in but kept us in the know. By the way, is it me or does Bill sound different..?

I think that comes with having a kid, you age about twice as fast after that.
    [Deleted User]itchmonMitara
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Good to see this back.
  • perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Always one of the best things to come out each week. Thanks Bill.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Elvoc said:

Missed this feature, glad to see it back..Bill we need a Gamespace video now detailing recent RPG and such releases

Before that happens i would like to see both sites interconnected so that they both work under the same login.

• BlacklabelcaliBlacklabelcali Member UncommonPosts: 24
    edited January 2018

Murmaider said:

mmrv said:

If you find Columbus that offensive maybe leave the land he discovered and donate your equity to the native people or you know just stop with the for show “outrage”.

I'll just leave that there.

And they list their sources so feel free to look it up.

A TruTV cartoon lol next is Wikipedia i bet
    KooturLeiloni
  • BlacklabelcaliBlacklabelcali Member UncommonPosts: 24

Torval said:

mmrv said:

If you find Columbus that offensive maybe leave the land he discovered and donate your equity to the native people or you know just stop with the for show “outrage”.

Only ignorant people think Columbus discovered anything at all. He probably should have left that imperialist piece of trash out of it, but traditional public education, in the US, drills that misinformation into all of us. It's a natural, if not completely inaccurate, reference to fall back on. If anyone deserves pioneering credit it is Viking tribes but why anyone would be proud of their imperialistic origins is beyond me.

Most ignorant thing I've read in awhile
    Kootur
  • MurmaiderMurmaider Member UncommonPosts: 123
    edited January 2018

Murmaider said:

mmrv said:

A TruTV cartoon lol next is Wikipedia i bet

Actually, just that episode was a cartoon in the same vein as Magic School Bus.
    The show, however, is live action and has even done an episode of things they have gotten wrong as well.
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2018

Torval said:

mmrv said:

Only ignorant people think Columbus discovered anything at all. He probably should have left that imperialist piece of trash out of it, but traditional public education, in the US, drills that misinformation into all of us. It's a natural, if not completely inaccurate, reference to fall back on. If anyone deserves pioneering credit it is Viking tribes but why anyone would be proud of their imperialistic origins is beyond me.

Vikings explored 'muricah! 500 years before Columbus. In case you didn't know. They landed on newfoundland, east of Canada and called it Vinland.

Never heard of Vinland Saga? or Erik the Red? or his son Leif Erikson? there are even statues of Leif Erikson across the US.

EDIT: but of course Columbus would take all the credit, he was in bed with the catholic church.
    [Deleted User]infomatzMitara

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    If you value good games I suggest you ignore New World. Why do I say this? Simply because who is the President of Amazon Games Studios. The President of Amazon Studios is non other than John Smedley the guy who ruined Vanguard Saga of Heroes and Star Wars Galaxies. Everything he suggests to fix an MMORPG causes the said MMORPG die.
    Mitara

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• KezBotKezBot Member UncommonPosts: 19
    FTW! Thanks Mr. Murphy!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited January 2018
    Murmaider said:

mmrv said:

I had to laugh at this YT piece that for the most part does a fairly good job of setting the record straight about Columbus, using a jingoist interpretation of "America" with its map. We need a new video to debunk the US's misappropriation of the word to mean only itself.

It's not just the US that is trying to get rid of Columbus worship you know. The cause is just as popular in Latin America.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352

Torval said:

mmrv said:

No you're right he didn't "discover" it but he did discover it for the European power and the settlers that followed. So if it wasn't for columbus none of us would be here today in north or south America.
    Leiloni[Deleted User]Mitara

Torval said:

mmrv said:

Vikings explored 'muricah! 500 years before Columbus. In case you didn't know. They landed on newfoundland, east of Canada and called it Vinland.

Never heard of Vinland Saga? or Erik the Red? or his son Leif Erikson? there are even statues of Leif Erikson across the US.

EDIT: but of course Columbus would take all the credit, he was in bed with the catholic church.
    The thing is eric the red and leif ericson died without the rest of the civilized world knowing about America. Columbus is celebrated because he made the entire continent of europe aware of the new world and caused the columbian era of expansion.
    Leiloni[Deleted User]
  • TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839
    "Don't let a bad PUG get you down." Always loved that :-)
    Mitara
    Isaiah 41:10
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited January 2018

akiira69 said:

If you value good games I suggest you ignore New World. Why do I say this? Simply because who is the President of Amazon Games Studios. The President of Amazon Studios is non other than John Smedley the guy who ruined Vanguard Saga of Heroes and Star Wars Galaxies. Everything he suggests to fix an MMORPG causes the said MMORPG die.

No he isn't. Amazon Game Studios has 3 different studios in different locations. They basically just let him open his own, new studio in San Diego. He's making his own game that has nothing to do with New World. New World is either being done in Seattle or Irvine. The guy in charge of Amazon Games is a guy named Michael Frazzini - a career Amazon employee.
    Aethaeryn
    edited January 2018

Torval said:

Kootur said:

Torval said:

mmrv said:

No you're right he didn't "discover" it but he did discover it for the European power and the settlers that followed. So if it wasn't for columbus none of us would be here today in north or south America.

Horrible logic and just wrong. The claim that if person X didn't accomplish goal Y that it never would have seen fruition is bad reasoning. Columbus wasn't the only explorer and Spain wasn't the only European power at the time hell bent on imperial expansion.

I hope in New World he's not even mentioned and the setting will be in the 16th and 17th centruries or even into the 18th. There is plenty of controversial material to cover without him.

No it's accurate and history. Columbus was the catalyst for the European colonization of the new world. He was the first. He'll be mentioned as he should. Imperialism was gave us the world we have today. 
    Leiloni
    Iselin said:
    Murmaider said:

mmrv said:

It's not just the US that is trying to get rid of Columbus worship you know. The cause is just as popular in Latin America.
    Thats not true and the only people in the US making a big stink a few crazies.
    Iselin[Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kootur said:
    Iselin said:
    Murmaider said:

mmrv said:

Yeah? Which part specifically is not true?

"Many South American nations also celebrate the day commemorating the Indigenous peoples in their countries, like Bolivia, Ecuador, and Venezuela, which officially renamed the Columbus Day as the Day of Indigenous Resistance in 2002."

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Trinidad-Joins-World-Protests-Against-Columbus-Day-Statue-Defaced-20171010-0033.html

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Leiloni said:

akiira69 said:

No he isn't. Amazon Game Studios has 3 different studios in different locations. They basically just let him open his own, new studio in San Diego. He's making his own game that has nothing to do with New World. New World is either being done in Seattle or Irvine. The guy in charge of Amazon Games is a guy named Michael Frazzini - a career Amazon employee.

New World is being done in Irvine. Seattle is working on Crucible. San Diego is Smedley’s studio, and we don’t know what he’s working on.
    [Deleted User]Leiloni

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    Hey EVERYONE!!!!!...I want to start a new group of consumers, called NOPA (no pre-alpha). We will REFUSE to buy ANYTHING other than a COMPLETE RELEASE. Lets show devs that the consumer dictates the market, NOT THE developers or companies who run them!!!
  • jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104
    Great to see this back, Bill ! Nice also to see some Pantheon news.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Cause: Bill brings back MMOFTW.

Effect: Forum posters debate who found America. 

@BillMurphy ; WHAT DID YOU DO?
    Murmaider

Iselin said:
    Kootur said:
    Iselin said:
    Murmaider said:

mmrv said:

Yeah? Which part specifically is not true?

"Many South American nations also celebrate the day commemorating the Indigenous peoples in their countries, like Bolivia, Ecuador, and Venezuela, which officially renamed the Columbus Day as the Day of Indigenous Resistance in 2002."

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/Trinidad-Joins-World-Protests-Against-Columbus-Day-Statue-Defaced-20171010-0033.html

Marxist populism. Just look at the countries doing and what they have elected.
    Iselin[Deleted User]