Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen, I am disappointed.

Comments

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    edited January 2018
    Arillix said:
    @Kefo,

Really, again with the demonizing of Chris, thought you said you don't demonize.

Prior to founding Ascendant, Roberts was Chairman and CEO of Digital Anvil (DA), the game development and digital effects company he founded in 1996 with funding from Microsoft and Advanced Micro Devices. Roberts guided DA's growth to annual revenues of $14 million, prior to the release of many of its games in development. His innovations changed the gaming industry. His games were the first to perfect the use of 35mm film as narrative in interactive game titles, and DA became the first interactive entertainment company to produce a game title, Wing Commander, into a $25 million feature film, directed and produced by Roberts. The film starred Freddie Prinze, Jr. (I Know What You Did Last Summer), Saffron Burrows (Deep Blue Sea) and Matthew Lillard (Scooby Doo).

DA and the video game titles it created won numerous gaming awards and the company became a digital effects powerhouse, creating all of the digital effects for the Wing Commander movie and contributing to the digital effects for several other films, including Spy Kids. In December of 2000, Roberts sold DA to Microsoft. DA remains a successful subsidiary of Microsoft and content provider for the XBox.

Or are you saying that the IMDb bio is a lie?
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730932/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

How did Digital Anvil have revenue of 14 million if they never released a game? In fact they never released a game under Roberts helm and it took him selling the company to Microsoft for them to actually release anything.

Also Wing commander the movie cost 25 million to make and it was a box office flop so again your “facts” are terrible.
    ScotchUp
    Tiamat64 said:
    Arillix said:
    @Kefo,

Really, again with the demonizing of Chris, thought you said you don't demonize.

You have a strange definition of the word "Demonize".
    He can’t stand to see me talk about CR badly managed past business so tries to find a way to minimize it. It’s ok I don’t mind cause it just tells me how to look out for.
  • ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88
    @Kefo,

That is a flat out lie and you know it.

1) Starlancer 2000 release date
    2) Bruteforce 2003 release date
    3) Freelancer 2003 release date

Jelly of Chris Roberts, are we?
    Arillix said:
    @Kefo,

That is a flat out lie and you know it.

1) Starlancer 2000 release date
    2) Bruteforce 2003 release date
    3) Freelancer 2003 release date

Jelly of Chris Roberts, are we?
    Starlancer - created at Warthog
    Bruteforce - released by Microsoft after they bought out Digital Anvil and gave Chris the boot
    Freelancer - see note about bruteforce.

so looks like my point is still correct that they never released a game under Chris Roberts
    Octagon7711ScotchUp
    So I take take it this a lie also then?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlancer

Arillix said:
    So I take take it this a lie also then?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starlancer

I’m not sure what you are referring to since I said Starlancer was created at Warthog and that’s what the Wikipedia page says. Hell if you dig deeper Chris Roberts didn’t even come up with the idea, his brother did. All Chris did was own Digital Anvil so he gets credit for it as executive producer
    ScotchUp
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Arillix said:
    @Kefo,

Prior to founding Ascendant, Roberts was Chairman and CEO of Digital Anvil (DA), the game development and digital effects company he founded in 1996 with funding from Microsoft and Advanced Micro Devices. Roberts guided DA's growth to annual revenues of $14 million, prior to the release of many of its games in development. His innovations changed the gaming industry. His games were the first to perfect the use of 35mm film as narrative in interactive game titles, and DA became the first interactive entertainment company to produce a game title, Wing Commander, into a $25 million feature film, directed and produced by Roberts. The film starred Freddie Prinze, Jr. (I Know What You Did Last Summer), Saffron Burrows (Deep Blue Sea) and Matthew Lillard (Scooby Doo).

DA and the video game titles it created won numerous gaming awards and the company became a digital effects powerhouse, creating all of the digital effects for the Wing Commander movie and contributing to the digital effects for several other films, including Spy Kids. In December of 2000, Roberts sold DA to Microsoft. DA remains a successful subsidiary of Microsoft and content provider for the XBox.

Or are you saying that the IMDb bio is a lie?
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0730932/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Yes, it's a lie.   Hyperbole marketing talk.   Roberts' top job has always been pumping up Chris Roberts.   Outside of cinematics, where he was innovative, Roberts has always been a disorganized, inefficient project manager who surrounds himself with brown nosers, sycophants, and fellow travellers.   Without institutional back up, he has failed.   But, as above, he'll present it as a brilliant success.   

Given enough money, he'll probably get something out, but it won't be what was promised, and a ton of backer money will have been wasted or frittered away with self indulgent fripperies.

Is that demonization enough for you?
    Kefo

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

Hahahahahahahahaha, what ever you say.

STAR CITIZEN 3.0 IS LIVE.

Deny that FACT all you like, will NOT change a thing.

All backers HAVE ACCESS, and ANY that CHOOSE to gain access by getting the 45 dollar starter ship can PLAY TEST, as that is the purpose.

LIVE WITH IT.
    kikoodutroa8
    Arillix said:

All backers HAVE ACCESS, and ANY that CHOOSE to gain access by getting the 45 dollar starter ship can PLAY TEST, as that is the purpose.

LIVE WITH IT.
    Who are you talking to and could you tone down the crazy? You’re not helping your position or any other person who tries to defend this game.
  • KhegobierKhegobier Member UncommonPosts: 54
    tl;dr version of article: "It's not done yet."

Okay, in other news: Water is wet.  Tell us something we didn't already know.
    MaxBacon
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Arillix said:

LIVE WITH IT.
    Are you like, secretly a Star Citizen hater trying to make all the other Star Citizen white knights look bad?
    kikoodutroa8Kefo
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I find the star citizen project completely fascinating. You have the die hard fans that have their rose colored glasses so tight they leave imprints around there eyes and then you have the haters so fueled by pure hate that any progress is no progress.

I'd put myself on the fence eating popcorn. I am enjoying the ever changing novel of the Star Citizen story.  The amount of cash and time this phenomenon has is awe-striking.

The industry itself doesn't know what to do about star citizen which is interesting in itself. You have Crysis suing because more than likely their deal is with retail releases in form of recurring income and are not entitled to the EA funds, so only so far recovered whatever the initial payment of licensing the engine and any support service branch with it.

You have journalist like the OP linked that want to tell their opinion about it and how they feel.

The fact is Chris Roberts is not helping his companies, he constantly arm chairs patches and updates without knowing if they can actual deliver. I'm sure his workers just wish he would shut his yap and I'm sure the constant bad air of the game does little to the limit morale of working there.

This project is one of a kind and possibly the tech is not even here to make it happen, that is what is taking so long. Milestones are small and victories feel like toddler steps. Will they ever make it to what Chris Robert's envisioned? That's the unique part of the story that keeps on going. Let's see what happens.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Hashbrick said:

The industry itself doesn't know what to do about star citizen which is interesting in itself. You have Crysis suing because more than likely their deal is with retail releases in form of recurring income and are not entitled to the EA funds, so only so far recovered whatever the initial payment of licensing the engine and any support service branch with it.
    False.

CIG released the agreement between them and Crytek, and CIG has already paid full price to use the engine. The whole agreement is available here:
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ej9fqb9BBf8mbd-rhPIiNRK3Rbs5M31o/view

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Vrika said:
    Hashbrick said:

False.

CIG released the agreement between them and Crytek, and CIG has already paid full price to use the engine. The whole agreement is available here:

What page is it on?
    --------------------------------------------
    edited January 2018
    Vrika said:
    Hashbrick said:

False.

What page is it on?
    Page 13 of 40. Use the page numbering written in blue, not the numbering written in black.
    Wellspring

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    What page is it on?
    13 of that PDF. They did a buyout for ~$2mill.
    Wellspring
    Vrika said:
    Hashbrick said:

False.

I wouldn't call that false as there is a clause in there for in-game items and public release. That would be assuming Crytek sees the ships as the "cash shop". I'd call it a grey area and one that will probably be battled on in the court.
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    edited January 2018
    Hashbrick said:
    I wouldn't call that false as there is a clause in there for in-game items and public release. That would be assuming Crytek sees the ships as the "cash shop". I'd call it a grey area and one that will probably be battled on in the court.
    That statement of yours makes no sense, such is not a target of the complaint, there's nothing to be battled about it unless they were trying to claim rights over it.
    edited January 2018
    MaxBacon said:
    Hashbrick said:
    That statement of yours makes no sense, such is not a target of the complaint, there's nothing to be battled there.
    It makes perfect sense.  Virka said my reasoning is false since the deal was publicly announced and that Crytek isn't missing out on any compensation by it still being in Alpha.  But by the document there is a clause for public release and cash shops.  So I'm sure it will be brought up as it will be used against the time of the project.
    Hashbrick said:
    It makes perfect sense.  Virka said my reasoning is false since the deal was publicly announced and that Crytek isn't missing out on any compensation by it still being in Alpha.  But by the document there is a clause for public release and cash shops.  So I'm sure it will be brought up as it will be used against the time of the project.
    Specify the clause and context as to where they are entitled to earnings from a cash shop and the game sales on release.
    Hashbrick said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Hashbrick said:
    That statement of yours makes no sense, such is not a target of the complaint, there's nothing to be battled there.
    I wouldn’t say the deal is publicly announced but more CIG’s lawyers released it into the Wild as a what feels like big FU to Crytek instead of having it as a sealed document for the courts to look over.
    Kefo said:
    Hashbrick said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Hashbrick said:
    I wouldn’t say the deal is publicly announced but more CIG’s lawyers released it into the Wild as a what feels like big FU to Crytek instead of having it as a sealed document for the courts to look over.
    True, I found it odd it was publicly available, makes sense. 
    MaxBacon said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Specify the clause and context as to where they are entitled to earnings from a cash shop and the game sales on release.
    PDF page 7, clause 1.2 "Commercial Life"
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Hashbrick said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Hashbrick said:
    That is not a clause, that is a definition.

Have fun
    edited January 2018
    Hashbrick said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Hashbrick said:
    Do you mean this:

1. Definitions

1.2. "Commercial Life": The period of time in which Licensee makes the game available to play by third parties, in exchange for the payment of any fee(s), including, without limitation, any free-to-play version with in-game microtransactions.
    Licensee is CIG, and third party is us gamers. It talks about CIG getting money from us gamers, not about Crytek getting money from anyone.