Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is hiring Professional/Veteran Gamers?

asdfbbqasdfbbq Member UncommonPosts: 27
I want to offer my services as such, having a long history of MMORPG- and FPS-gaming

Who is hiring Professional/Veteran Gamers with a good payout?
WalkinGlenn

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    edited January 2018
    I don't think there is such a thing anymore. These days, players pay to test games. lol
    AllerleirauhpostlarvalEponyxDamorJemAs666Thunder073
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    E-sports teams.

You'll have to be really good, though.
    Phaserlight

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Are you photogenic and have a good voice?  youtube channels with game-related content might want you.  Can you write coherent articles?  Websites will pay for articles; idk about a good payout, you might get $15 an article, but you get free games sometimes and it can be easily fit around a day job.
    Octagon7711
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    I got an offer to write articles on another MMO site, sent to me by PM on this site. :)
    Bit cheeky, I am sure loads of posters must have got one. But I applaud them for trying to find writers. Not for me though, to busy.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Scot said:
    I got an offer to write articles on another MMO site, sent to me by PM on this site. :)
    Bit cheeky, I am sure loads of posters must have got one. But I applaud them for trying to find writers. Not for me though, to busy.
    I got one in the last year too.  Shortly afterwards that person was banned for unknown reasons.  I don't think you missed anything.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    You have to list your skills mate. That's like saying I've been watching movies for the past 50 years, who is hiring. 
    [Deleted User]AllerleirauhMrMelGibsonThunder073
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited January 2018
    Apart from e-sports I don't think playing games will lead to a job with a high payout. And for e-sport you have to be very good.

Unless you create mods/maps etc and want to create games. That is still viable today for showing relevant experience.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I should get paid for my knowledge here. 
    Bad spelling and all :)
    MrMelGibson
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I should get paid for my knowledge here. 
    Bad spelling and all :)
    Me too! ( not that metoo, just the bad grammer and such :smiley: )

Unfortunately my deepest knowing is in great games, and since popularity does not correlate with quality, in writing I could only scratch the surface of those so-called hyped games...  and could only for really good money, otherwise I wouldn't poke those craps with a pole.

Not to mention, since my games (both MMO and singleplayer) are kinda niche, and old too, anyone interested is already familiar with them. And if they need any details, they can find it in the games' wikis (a hint, if you bump on those wikis into something so badly phrased it's sticking out, high chances that was me :wink: ).

So, no money from there. Tough luck, I guess I'll have to stay an employee...

:sunglasses:
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,707
    Like others have said, your only chance is to get onto an esports team. 

You might be able to get a job in QA if your only experience is playing games. All development studios have a QA team of some sort. However, because the job is ridiculously easy, it requires no qualifications so they are paid very little and often on short term contracts (I worked in QA for a while). 

Once you're on a QA team, there are opportunities to get full time jobs for better money, but generally only if you have decent skills. The company I worked at had roughly 150 QA staff (out of a total company size of about 500), but of those 150 QA only about 40 were permanent jobs. The most common transfer was from QA to level building - quite a few of our QA team used to build levels for Team Fortress, or build stuff for Skyrim etc, so they could use those skills to build worlds for our company. I personally tried to shift to analytics (analysing player behaviour in game) as I have a development background so am familiar with databases, but couldn't land the job before my QA contract ran out. 
    MrMelGibson
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    edited January 2018
    You know those NCAA commercials that say, "Most of us are going to go pro in something other than sports"?  Think of gaming that way.  There are tons of companies that will hire gamers to do something unrelated to gaming, but far, far fewer that will pay them specifically to play games.  And even those that will pay you to "play" games will generally want specific use cases such as debugging, not at all similar to what you'd do when playing games on your own for fun.
    MrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I agree that a lot of gamers are becoming streamers and posting their game play.  So they are becoming self employed. I watch them from time to time and really like the ones that show straight play without a lot of joking comments.  It helps me decide if I want to play a game I may be on the fence about playing or see a game I will never play because I don't have consoles anymore.
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Scot said:
    Same here. I pointed out that I’m a writer by profession and they probably can’t afford me. Last I heard from them. :-)
    MrMelGibson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    asdfbbq said:
    I want to offer my services as such, having a long history of MMORPG- and FPS-gaming

if you are a professional "gamer" then wouldn't you already know?

e-sports or try to make money from youtube.
    MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    If you really love gaming, I wouldn't do it for a living.  You'll burn out and no longer enjoy your hobby.  I imagine game testing is much different from just playing at your leisure at home.  
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Hmmm Professional Gamer, I think I'll add that one to my resume next time
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    If you are a professional gamer then you are already getting paid. That's what a professional is, primarily - someone for whom an activity is their main paid occupation.
    SovrathMrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited January 2018
    Hashbrick said:
    I use to joke about such a resume.  Listing the games you've played and the levels you've gotten classes up to.  Raid bosses you've beaten, etc.  Or, something like this.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    Anyone can make a youtube/twitch/patreon account. Dont bother with MMOs though.

edited January 2018
    If you really love gaming, I wouldn't do it for a living.  You'll burn out and no longer enjoy your hobby.  I imagine game testing is much different from just playing at your leisure at home.  
    I really love computers and it helped me get assigned to a division involving specialized software training and presentations among others things.  I would do computers all day at work then come home and play on my computers until bedtime, never got burned out.
    VengeSunsoar

edited January 2018
    Hashbrick said:
    It’s amazing how many people don’t understand what ‘professional’ means. It has nothing to do with how good you are at something. 

A professional golfer makes their income golfing. A semi-pro makes part of their income golfing.

Simple as that. 
    Octagon7711ConstantineMerus

• AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    asdfbbq said:

You and many others. Get in Line. 
    Allerleirauh

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Hashbrick said:
    It’s amazing how many people don’t understand what ‘professional’ means. It has nothing to do with how good you are at something. 

A professional golfer makes their income golfing. A semi-pro makes part of their income golfing.

Simple as that. 
    I think you missed the joke....whoosh
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
    Hashbrick said:
    Hashbrick said:

Simple as that. 
    I think you missed the joke....whoosh
    Putting “professional” in front of gamer on a resume doesn’t really make the cut as a joke. Try again. 

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Hashbrick said:

Simple as that. 
    I was a professional musician in high school.  I'd practice my baritone and the neighbors would pay me to stop.
    QuizzicalConstantineMerusMrMelGibsonlaserit

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.