Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Think I've finally put my finger on why I don't like this game

Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
For "fanboys" that are going to be offended that I do not like the game, I have truly given it my all. I have truly wanted to enjoy this game. I've gone back to ESO probably 5 times now, including my latest romp through Tamriel here this past week. As usual after a few days of logging in and playing....I'm just like....meh. 

I have always tried to put my finger on why..I love Elder Scrolls single player games, I love MMOs, but this one does neither for me. But now I think I just finally figured out the problem.....the game feels linear and claustrophobic to me. Even though I am in this large world, it feels small everywhere I go. The complete opposite of what I feel when I trek through Skyrim, or in other MMOs like when I ride around the huge zones in LOTRO. Even WoW Legion, which is much more linear than ESO (zone layout), feels more open to me. Elder Scrolls game worlds are not supposed to feel small. MMOs are not supposed to feel small unless they are lobby based like Neverwinter. ESO feels like a lobby based MMO, the only difference is you don't zone into and out of the lobby, which in this case are just crafting hubs like main towns. 

So probably going to finally put this one in the trash and forget it. Dropped so much money on it trying to enjoy it. But hey, the devs obviously are all over this game and they are trying to keep it fresh for all who love it. 

Have fun with it, wish I could!

Make MMORPG's Great Again!
TokkenpantaroTsiyaBruceYeekjempffRexKushmanGaladournCecropiamazutd_20and 5 others.

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I've gone back a few times and never last more than a month.  I tried last week as well and had fun because *gasp* (big deal for me recently) I read the quest text.  It does seem to get less immersive after the starting area. . not as bad as Tortage  but similar.

I'll give it the month and see how it goes but I have also not loved it while also not finding anything wrong with it.
    TsiyaViper482Hariken

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• ChawkChawk Member UncommonPosts: 16

Fair post.  I, personally, am enjoying this game right now.  I am an ALT junkie, and I love trying out the many options, as far as play styles in this game.  I think this helps me stay with the game.

I do not read (most) of the quests.  I think what I like about this game, is the achievement system.  Hey, we all have are thing.  I like logging in and trying to hit something, new level, get all lorebooks/skyshards, get that new skill, whatever.  Then I can log off feeling digitally accomplished.

With that said, I have had my eye out for something new as well.

BruceYeeMrMelGibsonViper482
  • Zeppel80Zeppel80 Member UncommonPosts: 74
    Viper482 said:
    For "fanboys" that are going to be offended that I do not like the game, I have truly given it my all. I have truly wanted to enjoy this game. I've gone back to ESO probably 5 times now, including my latest romp through Tamriel here this past week. As usual after a few days of logging in and playing....I'm just like....meh. 

I have always tried to put my finger on why..I love Elder Scrolls single player games, I love MMOs, but this one does neither for me. But now I think I just finally figured out the problem.....the game feels linear and claustrophobic to me. Even though I am in this large world, it feels small everywhere I go. The complete opposite of what I feel when I trek through Skyrim, or in other MMOs like when I ride around the huge zones in LOTRO. Even WoW Legion, which is much more linear than ESO (zone layout), feels more open to me. Elder Scrolls game worlds are not supposed to feel small. MMOs are not supposed to feel small unless they are lobby based like Neverwinter. ESO feels like a lobby based MMO, the only difference is you don't zone into and out of the lobby, which in this case are just crafting hubs like main towns. 

So probably going to finally put this one in the trash and forget it. Dropped so much money on it trying to enjoy it. But hey, the devs obviously are all over this game and they are trying to keep it fresh for all who love it. 

To each his own, but I honestly don't see how you can call ESO linear, in any sense of the word.  But, it really doesn't matter why you don't like it.  If the game doesn't do it for you, then you're right to move on; no justification needed.

I played in the beta and off and on since then.  Off and on because I get tired of it, too.  There's so many hours of content that I think it's inevitable you'll get burned out sooner or later, especially when you play solo like I do.

Good luck, stay safe.

MrMelGibsonYashaXViper482immodium
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Viper482 said:

To each their own. The lack of a universal AH pretty much keeps me from fully engaging in ESO and when I finally hit cap, it felt more of like a single-player/co-op game with forced online vs a mmorpg. So, I just jump in and jump out whenever I want which is a perk of a b2p game.
    Octagon7711Viper482Hariken
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Viper482 said:

Exactly how I feel about Wild Star.   That's how it works, not everyone likes the same games.
    klash2def

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• triikortriikor Member UncommonPosts: 25
    I've come back to ESO many times since beta. Only last a few weeks then I'm over it. My characters are only level 48, 42, 34 and 25.

1-50 is so damn boring, I've read the quest text and enjoyed it. Yet the end of the quests are so disappointing.Long quest chain then go kill this bad guy, which he dies in 4 hits. Your reward is F all xp. Complete another 20 quests to gain a level.

If they raised xp reward and the difficulty of the the main antagonist of the respective quest chain I would actually want to play the game.
    Viper482
  • krulerkruler Member UncommonPosts: 589
    I have the same issue, I want to like it, I keep going back in, but it just lacks something to make me feel engaged, kinda soulless ironically seeing as that was the starting premise of your character. 
    Viper482

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

ESO has a lot of good going for it and its in my rotation , actually currenlty playing ,

I enjoy the exploration and grouping , and combat for the most part ..

Where i always to start to disconnect is just how badly they have borked they ES lore with ESO and Tamriel One .. its a real mess now .. and cannot be fixed ...

Also really as a max lvl crafter i can only harvest Ruby Ash for ex... so if a i want to craft a lower tier weapon i need to Buy the mats .. or create a low lvl to harvest those mats .. so bad ..
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I agree OP.  To me, the game is boring, especially at lower levels. No universal AH and a poor grouping mechanic made me quit.   I want to like it, but I keep going back to Skyrim.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    I feel the exact opposite. Ive only been playing about 6 months, but I cant go back to other, or try any new, mmos or rpgs because I compare it to this one and find them lacking.
    YashaXViper482Teala

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I've tried to go back too, here's the thing about this game, it has it's ups and downs. At launch it sucked, then a few patches later it got better, but then they segregated the community with a patch, then they did this clockwork stuff when they could have just put in more dragons rather than turn it into this steampunk/fantasy game. See the game is just all over the place. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    You're just talking about content density and how ESO doesn't hit your subjective sweet spot. In other games people bitch about the flip side and how there are all these empty open spaces with nothing to do.

I can see how some would feel that ESO is claustrophobic since it is relatively content rich compared to other MMOs. 

In ESO PVE zones you barely need a mount. Hell if you harvest at all you probably shouldn't even bother. Cyrodiil is exactly the opposite and that zone feels even bigger than it actually is because it's very content and NPC poor. You definitely want a mount and speed buffs there.

I played BDO for a while and I thought they did a better job with how they handled content. There is a lot of content there (even if is just 90% grinding lol) but they segregate it into hot spots in otherwise empty zones.

When shit bores me I just move on... shrug.

PS. can i has your stuff? :)
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonYashaXViper482
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    I actually liked it more when there was not lvl scaling, of course is was even more linear but at least it gave you something to work toward
    Viper482
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Viper482 said:

Exactly how I feel about Wild Star.   That's how it works, not everyone likes the same games.
    Weird,  isn't it?
    ConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited January 2018
    I preordered the game but couldn't get into it until recently. When Elder Scrolls Legends came out it made me want to play ESO like crazy(and still does) for some unknown reason like a light just turned on. It was kind of like a reverse Hearthstone effect cause WoW makes me want to play Hearthstone and not the other way around.
    MrMelGibson
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    This is the problem I have with all story driven mmo, and therefore I don't play them anymore. ESO might be suffering heavily from this, at least the two times I tried it, I got bored after only a few days. I just think I developed allergy to story driven mmos.. Whenever I try one, every fiber in me scream to break out of the confinement and feeling of being herded. It does not help that I am sort of free to roam and pick, it is the stories and premade overdesigned game experiences that gets to me.
    Coming from eq to wow I felt somewhat confined, but ok early wow was a smaller game but still a little bit open and story driven was new and shiny, but at the end of lich king I have had enough.. and WoW as well as other mmos just kept going down that path, and now there are just no non story driven pve mmos.
    pantaroViper482
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    kjempff said:
    This is the problem I have with all story driven mmo, and therefore I don't play them anymore. ESO might be suffering heavily from this, at least the two times I tried it, I got bored after only a few days. I just think I developed allergy to story driven mmos.. Whenever I try one, every fiber in me scream to break out of the confinement and feeling of being herded. It does not help that I am sort of free to roam and pick, it is the stories and premade overdesigned game experiences that gets to me.
    Coming from eq to wow I felt somewhat confined, but ok early wow was a smaller game but still a little bit open and story driven was new and shiny, but at the end of lich king I have had enough.. and WoW as well as other mmos just kept going down that path, and now there are just no non story driven pve mmos.
    same exact thing happened to me. i used to be all about the PVE story driven games,until i started looking beneath the surface of most of them to see them for what they really are. now im lucky if I last a week playing them when i sub. yet i always go back to eve online and sub and always play the whole time subbed.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    yup, i was so hyped for ESO when it came out and they even forced us to subscribe for 3 months.
    i started playing and i loved it but after a few hours i saw other characters that looked so cool and i thought maybe if i choose another class i will have more fun and i did this a few times and nothing changed the game just feels average!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Iselin said:
    You're just talking about content density and how ESO doesn't hit your subjective sweet spot. In other games people bitch about the flip side and how there are all these empty open spaces with nothing to do.

I can see how some would feel that ESO is claustrophobic since it is relatively content rich compared to other MMOs. 

In ESO PVE zones you barely need a mount. Hell if you harvest at all you probably shouldn't even bother. Cyrodiil is exactly the opposite and that zone feels even bigger than it actually is because it's very content and NPC poor. You definitely want a mount and speed buffs there.

I played BDO for a while and I thought they did a better job with how they handled content. There is a lot of content there (even if is just 90% grinding lol) but they segregate it into hot spots in otherwise empty zones.

When shit bores me I just move on... shrug.

PS. can i has your stuff? :)

This wasn't a I quit post....I never really stayed so I don't have much "stuff" lol. 

I think you make an excellent point in that perhaps it feels claustrophobic because there is sooooooooooo much content. It seems you can't run in any one direction without hitting a quest npc or instanced content. 

I have posted several times over the years here that I just can't put my finger on why I cannot get into this game. This is the only MMO I have not really enjoyed that I keep trying. 
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    I have this exact issue with BDO and Wildstar. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I agree with everything @Viper482 said, and I would like to add 

i) combat and movement feeling "glidy" and disjointed, and
    ii) character progression system lacking sense of actual progression

on the list. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I can't stand constant running around action type combat and when i see a somersault,i am  good as gone.

Often magic doesn't even look to be conjured up,more like GW2 spamming,like a staff that has an automatic repeater on it.
    The Wailing prison is a perfect example as to how the game turned me off.

SUPER linear,there is a gate in front of me,ghee i wonder if i am suppose to go that way..sigh.Mobs popping up out of the ground,i assume to not have to optimize the zone ,even still it was sort of laggy.Then to reinforce the lack of optimization they made sure that the foes burn up and disappear.When you get outside the graphics look bad..fake,like badly dithered,just a lot of fog and everything has a blueish hue/lighting.
    Anyhow,it plays way too much like a single player game and that is the same problem most devs have in creating a MMO type game.
    Oh yeah red carpet system..no thanks,it really looked to me like they straight up copied a Dungeons and Dragons game.
    GaladournYashaXMaurgrim

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Wizardry said:
    I can't stand constant running around action type combat and when i see a somersault,i am  good as gone.

Often magic doesn't even look to be conjured up,more like GW2 spamming,like a staff that has an automatic repeater on it.
    The Wailing prison is a perfect example as to how the game turned me off.

SUPER linear,there is a gate in front of me,ghee i wonder if i am suppose to go that way..sigh.Mobs popping up out of the ground,i assume to not have to optimize the zone ,even still it was sort of laggy.Then to reinforce the lack of optimization they made sure that the foes burn up and disappear.When you get outside the graphics look bad..fake,like badly dithered,just a lot of fog and everything has a blueish hue/lighting.
    Anyhow,it plays way too much like a single player game and that is the same problem most devs have in creating a MMO type game.
    Oh yeah red carpet system..no thanks,it really looked to me like they straight up copied a Dungeons and Dragons game.
    Too bad it isnt FF X! eh? 
    YashaXEponyxDamorforcelima
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I put a decent amount of time in the game starting right at launch and discovered it had too many things I disliked than liked. It really is the combination of things. It's like they distilled all the typical mmorpg tropes and slapped together something that has everything an mmorpg should have but without any sort of soul.

It's amazing how you can break down an old mmorpg and have a list of individual mechanics nearly everyone dislikes but the game itself was amazingly fun. ESO is a game where individual mechanics look good but the game itself is boring and soulless.

I've put a decent amount of time into vanilla Wow over the last couple years (won't play it again until Classic however if I even bother ... hoping new indie mmorpgs interest me more) and the same can be said comparing it to retail Wow. I wouldn't call retail Wow soulless but would call it MMORPGless. They are just 2 radically different games. It's like Blizzard polished the fun out of it.
    YashaX[Deleted User]

You stay sassy!

• Tutu2Tutu2 Member UncommonPosts: 572
    Odd I find the game open and it certainly rewards the explorer type. To each and their own though. Personally I think the biggest issue is the character progression, by 20 to 25 youve opened up your second hotbar and likely filled them both up with sufficient abilities to get you through the bulk of the content, gets dull quite fast unless you really like your class setup already.
    [Deleted User]Gorwe