Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's not perfect! But to me it is most certainly fun!

RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,561
Yesterday, my guild along with fellow guilds in our alliance took part in an IB ( instance battle ) in which we took on another enemy alliance. These instance battles do require resources to create, but also allow the attackers to downgrade the growth of the target enemy claim area. Despite us being outnumbered, we did manage to kill 41 of them while only losing 1 of our own ( friendly fire no less, lol ). This wasn't meant to be a lopsided victory as the defending alliance claimed on many social media fronts that they would prevail and such an attack on them would have a swift and deadly counter attack. This video shows the entirety of the battle in all it's glory.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,350
    So is this the typical MMORPG design which strongly favors attackers?  How is it possible you were able to kill 41, without losing even 1 to enemy fire?

Are you really that skillful, or did you overcome them by other means, i.e. better gear, larger zerg, etc?

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 6,561
    Kyleran said:
    So is this the typical MMORPG design which strongly favors attackers?  How is it possible you were able to kill 41, without losing even 1 to enemy fire?

Are you really that skillful, or did you overcome them by other means, i.e. better gear, larger zerg, etc?

Well, I only joined the NA server a week or two ago. So I just barely got into my Huscarl tree which is one of the main shield defense classes. However, I have noticed the game revolves around a rock, paper and scissors system much like Eve Online. Such as Calvary can plow through most infantry but are still susceptible to archery because of maneuvering a horse or spearmen who are of course the bane of all Calvary. Archery pretty much requires good aiming skill, but does have the advantage of a poorly organized defense. Archers have a really hard time against Huscarls with tower shields. Then you have the 2 handed classes which dominate with melee doing massive amounts of damage and have the easiest time breaking through shield walls but are in turn susceptible to archers because they have no shield up.

You get from 400-600 skill points depending on how to setup your character towards combat. Each combat class has 3 tiers. You need 60 points in the first tier to unlock the next tier up to 100 but only need 60 points in that tier to unlock the last tier up to 100. So in essence, you could design a character that is a Huscarl with medium ranged ability and so on.

Now, don't get me wrong. This game has an extremely long grind to a lot of the gameplay aspects. However, there are 3 "races" to choose from to help boost your decision process, such as the southern race of Khoor being really good at ranged, so they can start out with 55 points in Slinger, while the northmen race are able to focus on either Footman ---> Huscarl or the 2handed skill tree.

Now, as for why we won so easily. It's probably split down the middle with 50% skill and tactics and 50% gear. My guild specifically has about 10-15 members, so it's not exactly large by any means. Yet we have our share of chinese guilds that come in during Judgement Hour to try and burn our trees downs on our guild claim. So far, in the past 2 weeks, both Judgement Hours we managed to destroy our attackers. It really is a 50/50 skill / gear ratio though.
    Kyleran

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,970
    The massive problem is the servers are absolute nightmare.

The PvP hour (2h) that ended minutes ago we were facing pings of +1500, if not over 2k peaks, absolute insanity. Only the instanced battles being on their own server kinda escape it. 
    KyleranThupli
    MaxBacon said:
    The massive problem is the servers are absolute nightmare.

The PvP hour (2h) that ended minutes ago we were facing pings of +1500, if not over 2k peaks, absolute insanity. Only the instanced battles being on their own server kinda escape it. 
    Yes, which is why the game is not perfect. I truly hope Bitbox can alleviate the server instability / zone borders before too long. Not remedying this promptly will surely cause this game to lose interest amongst the online community. The game itself is very well designed for the most part, but the server issue needs to be addressed immediately.

Thanks for the info folks, I'm keeping my eye on this one.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 6,970
    Rhoklaw said:
    Yes, which is why the game is not perfect. I truly hope Bitbox can alleviate the server instability / zone borders before too long. Not remedying this promptly will surely cause this game to lose interest amongst the online community. The game itself is very well designed for the most part, but the server issue needs to be addressed immediately.
    It's really complicated for them.

But today was the ragequit day, a server with over 2000 ping while you are being attacked, couldn't defend and faced massive losses, I lost count on how many on the guild here canceled their sub today.

It's a literal time bomb, over the exploitation/hacking issues, once you get stolen in ways it was not meant to be possible (enemies moving stuff in town), attacked by people shooting through walls, it really puts the pressure on.
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,445
    Humm, Sounds like we have a new Eve on the ground now.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    MaxBacon said:
    Rhoklaw said:

But today was the ragequit day, a server with over 2000 ping while you are being attacked, couldn't defend and faced massive losses, I lost count on how many on the guild here canceled their sub today.

It's a literal time bomb, over the exploitation/hacking issues, once you get stolen in ways it was not meant to be possible (enemies moving stuff in town), attacked by people shooting through walls, it really puts the pressure on.
    Yes, I'm catching wind on Discord of what has transpired since Steam release and it's looking more and more like Bitbox has literally shot themselves in the foot. Not that the core game concept is bad, it's actually a fun game, but it's littered with security issues and easily hacked. In fact, it wasn't long ago that one guild hacked the database, turned off an enemy guilds claim monument and then proceeded to raid said base unhindered.

It's unfortunate that a decent game is basically going to sink into the abyss because the developers are clueless about how to manage servers, on top of severe security holes which give access to duping and other cheats.

Oh well, was fun while it lasted and congrats to all those a holes who just ruined a good game.

edited January 2018
    Rhoklaw said:
    MaxBacon said:
    Rhoklaw said:

Yes, I'm catching wind on Discord of what has transpired since Steam release and it's looking more and more like Bitbox has literally shot themselves in the foot. Not that the core game concept is bad, it's actually a fun game, but it's littered with security issues and easily hacked. In fact, it wasn't long ago that one guild hacked the database, turned off an enemy guilds claim monument and then proceeded to raid said base unhindered.

It's unfortunate that a decent game is basically going to sink into the abyss because the developers are clueless about how to manage servers, on top of severe security holes which give access to duping and other cheats.

Oh well, was fun while it lasted and congrats to all those a holes who just ruined a good game.
    Here's the thing, most all of these small indie efforts will follow a similar path (see Albion Online), they don't have the expertise and resources to combat the evil, but positively brilliant and determined hacking community out there.

As for the performance issues,  likely to never get resolved, well unless of course players quit logging in of course. 

Here is a pro tip....developers should be constantly optimizing throughout the entire development process, and not just towards the end.

Where I work performance testing is a regular and ongoing process.   With each major update if the performance testing shows a decline, new development halts until the software is optimized back to acceptable levels.

EponyxDamorRhoklaw