Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-Alpha Starts Today!

12346»

Comments

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,998
    Torval said:
    Kefo said:
    Kefo said:
    Xthos said:
    I am waiting till release, maybe a short beta (1-2 weeks) before release.  I talked to too many people that played Alpha of recent games that took 1+ years to release, and I think it ruined release for them a little. 

As for this money/influence debate, you do realize that all these cash shop games base the direction on what will make people spend more money...Not what is best for the majority of the players.  I play Archeage, and some guy on the EU server bought over 500 pounds worth of game currency today (APEX) and sold it to my cross server alt accounts (Which I use to get patron/credits to transfer gold back to my NA guys).  I am f2p in AA, but it isn't uncommon for people to drop 500-1000+ in AA, due to the way the game is set up (It is a huge slot machine for peoples gold/cash to make/upgrade gear).  So people put money in before or after, at least before, you get a idea of what the game will be about, before you spend money to buy it (if you are worried about this), if it is after, you may of already spent your money.
    Good thing Pantheon removed its cash shop a while ago and hopefully it never returns (cosmetic would be fine)
    I'm pretty sure pantheon never had a cash shop in the first place.
    They did. They sold things like wt reducing backpacks and something similar to Jboots and other stuff I can’t remember but they chose to remove it in order to remove the ability for people to buy an advantage.
    They didn't do it so people couldn't buy an advantage. If that was important they wouldn't have added them in the first place. They did it so people can't nail them for P2W. If they could get away with it again they'd do it in a heartbeat.

The problem with fans of indie projects is they think these projects operate on some better moral foundation. They don't. They were all AAA people doing that sort of money thing. They will charge and sell what they think their demographic and market will bear both financially and socially.

If the goalposts move tomorrow because "loot crates" are the new bad thing and people are suddenly okay with people buying items in a cash shop, even items of use like JBoots or mounts, then any of these projects will sell stuff that way. If you think I'm reaching go through and read some of the loot crate discussions. People told me they're okay with MMO cash shops that sell $100 houses and $50 mounts and would rather have that than loot crates.

Either you have a cash shop and sell digital crap in it, or you don't. If these guys have a sub and a cash shop then it will be a sub + cash shop game pure and simple, not a real P2P sub game. Remember how ZOS and ANet started their mild cash shops in ESO and GW2? Watch out for that again here. 

Hopefully they won't have a cash shop at all, period. Not one in the game and not one on their site.
    I think the phrase is 'whatever the market will bear'.  It seems that Pantheon is investigating the corners of exactly what the preliminary market will accept.  Pay-to-test seems to be in, big time.  They already tried a cash shop concept; I believe one of the critical things the pre-alpha testing will help determine is precisely how much leniency VR will have for the most likely inevitable cash shop.

If they don't have a cash shop, many members on this site will be happy, myself included.  But I couldn't help but wonder how much money VR is going to be willing to leave 'on the table' in order to appease the hard-core fans.  Maybe they'll offer a post-launch pay-to-test bonus donation.  That would be innovative, but not the kind of innovation I'd like to see.

dcutbi001

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Hellidol said:
    do they have a time frame for the alpha phase? I am thinking of buying the game and would like to play the game to learn all i can.
    You might wanna wait for beta if you only intend to play the game for learning purpose, most testing phases (pre-alpha and beta) will be actual testing phases, with devs wanting you to test specific things.
    SovrathMrMelGibson
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,534
    Speculations about cash shops at this point are worthless. There is no cash shop, and the items they did offer with packages were of minimal importance. People said they'd rather pledge their money and not get even slight in game advantages, and they were removed.

If they successfully launch the game advertised, cash shops will be unnecessary. The difference between the type of game Pantheon is to be and the status quo is a design that offers longevity. Long-term player progression where levels and items are hard-earned keep people playing rather than jumping to the next big thing.

If for whatever reason they have to rely on cash shops, its already too late.
    ElrandirKefojimmywolfchocolate42069

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Hellidol said:
    do they have a time frame for the alpha phase? I am thinking of buying the game and would like to play the game to learn all i can.
    You might wanna wait for beta if you only intend to play the game for learning purpose, most testing phases (pre-alpha and beta) will be actual testing phases, with devs wanting you to test specific things.
    I have done some alpha testing also so I have an idea of doing it. I would be playing alpha to provide feedback but also to learn about the game in general.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,734
    Well, they said their was going to be no cash shop, so I am looking forward to that.  If they did a cash shop, I am ok with cosmetic and no drop, that way people cannot sell it to make it p2w.

I consider most pay to convenience as p2w also...

I am tired of f2p/cash shops/daily quests/tons of instancing....  So I will see how much of this stuff Pantheon can get rid of for me.  I hope it is all of it, we will see.
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Kefo said:
    Torval said:
    Kefo said:
    Kefo said:
    Xthos said:
    I am waiting till release, maybe a short beta (1-2 weeks) before release.  I talked to too many people that played Alpha of recent games that took 1+ years to release, and I think it ruined release for them a little. 

As for this money/influence debate, you do realize that all these cash shop games base the direction on what will make people spend more money...Not what is best for the majority of the players.  I play Archeage, and some guy on the EU server bought over 500 pounds worth of game currency today (APEX) and sold it to my cross server alt accounts (Which I use to get patron/credits to transfer gold back to my NA guys).  I am f2p in AA, but it isn't uncommon for people to drop 500-1000+ in AA, due to the way the game is set up (It is a huge slot machine for peoples gold/cash to make/upgrade gear).  So people put money in before or after, at least before, you get a idea of what the game will be about, before you spend money to buy it (if you are worried about this), if it is after, you may of already spent your money.
    Good thing Pantheon removed its cash shop a while ago and hopefully it never returns (cosmetic would be fine)
    They did. They sold things like wt reducing backpacks and something similar to Jboots and other stuff I can’t remember but they chose to remove it in order to remove the ability for people to buy an advantage.
    They didn't do it so people couldn't buy an advantage. If that was important they wouldn't have added them in the first place. They did it so people can't nail them for P2W. If they could get away with it again they'd do it in a heartbeat.

The problem with fans of indie projects is they think these projects operate on some better moral foundation. They don't. They were all AAA people doing that sort of money thing. They will charge and sell what they think their demographic and market will bear both financially and socially.

If the goalposts move tomorrow because "loot crates" are the new bad thing and people are suddenly okay with people buying items in a cash shop, even items of use like JBoots or mounts, then any of these projects will sell stuff that way. If you think I'm reaching go through and read some of the loot crate discussions. People told me they're okay with MMO cash shops that sell $100 houses and $50 mounts and would rather have that than loot crates.

Either you have a cash shop and sell digital crap in it, or you don't. If these guys have a sub and a cash shop then it will be a sub + cash shop game pure and simple, not a real P2P sub game. Remember how ZOS and ANet started their mild cash shops in ESO and GW2? Watch out for that again here. 

Hopefully they won't have a cash shop at all, period. Not one in the game and not one on their site.
    No cash shop would be ideal in my world as well but if they did put one in I would hope it was for cosmetics only and stayed that way. Of course hope and reality usually never intersect when it comes to mo eh and games

I would support a cash shop that sold real-world merchandise.

Give me t-shirts, jackets, mugs, figures, etc.

bng28Gyva02Octagon7711AmatheLonestryder

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,494

I think it would me cool if they sold collectibles, such as draft concept art signed by the artist, draft lore script signed by the author, something related to the early history of the game signed by Brad McQuaid, and so on. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 8,967
    Kefo said:
    Torval said:
    Kefo said:
    Kefo said:
    Xthos said:

No cash shop would be ideal in my world as well but if they did put one in I would hope it was for cosmetics only and stayed that way. Of course hope and reality usually never intersect when it comes to mo eh and games

I agree.  I've found myself buying gaming t-shirts, caps, and jackets lately.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• neiruliusneirulius Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited February 2018

Every day we inch closer and closer to earliest access.
    Mendeldcutbi001
    Early alpha started in December. That video was cringy af.

• MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,998
    Dullahan said:
    But still, the video was truthful and humorous.  Perhaps you should review the word 'parody'.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,748
    Sorry pre alpha anything does not excite me...Wake me when the game has actually launched (ie in 5-8 years)
    jimmywolfdrivendawn
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,025
    Any announcements for beta?  I have access for that phase lol
    Mendel said:
    Dullahan said:
    But still, the video was truthful and humorous.  Perhaps you should review the word 'parody'.

Wasn't funny at all, sorry.

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 519
    Honestly I think the term needs to change for the people who back games. This is a new age and being called and investor is not the right term, same with backer. I'm backing this game because I plan on buying it and I support the direction they are going with it yet I haven't put money on it yet. I think calling people who put money up this early donators would be more appropriate considering they wont be getting a return on investment, they are giving money and only waiting for a finished product. That's just my flu sick 2 cents way of thinking at this point lol.
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    edited February 2018
    I think merch would be great. Start with easy cheap printable/wearable items move up to collectibles, statues, dolls action figures if the game takes off.

"Did you like the new mount? Here is a detailed hand-crafted replica of it in a cool pose!...... only $75." :D

...... tickets to Pantheon LAN parties in every state!?

Many tried and true ways of making a little extra money without selling your soul to Loot Satan. A cash shop would just undermine the entire point of both making the game and buying into it. Cash Shops belong in other games... they fit right in with the instant gratification, damn near effortless, shallow loot piñata reward focused design of todays MMOs.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,444

mcrippins said:
    I'm just tired of all of this 'pre-alpha' stuff. What exactly is pre-alpha? Alpha is supposed to be the first phase of playable game development.
    They played the game since ages now and talked about it.

As a programmer I have no exact definition of when a program is "alpha". Theres no clear definition of this stage. Its just when I feel like it. Here is an alpha, stuff is still missing, bugs are to be expected, but you can already use it.

Beta, well, most stuff is there, and the bugs are clearing up, too.

Release candidate, now thats cleanly defined. A release candidate is a feature freeze. All features are in, all known bugs are fixed, now lets see if any new bugs still turn up.

And then theres release. Obviously there will still be bugs - there are always bugs - but the program is in working order.

And "pre-alpha", guess thats the phase when they prepare for going alpha. Its no longer a developer only experience.

Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.