Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which IP would make the best MMO

Comments

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    I like the settings of the following IPs, main characters/heros/villains are not too dominant (and I like player/guild settlements, that's why this is my list)

- Planet of the Apes 
    - Firefly
    - Mad Max
    - Walking Dead/Zombieland/Dawn of the Dead

---

- GI Joe (like Planetside), but with coop/small group instanced side missions
    Blaze_Rocker
  • xyzercrimexyzercrime Member RarePosts: 878
    edited June 2017
    Loke666 said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I would like a game set in the ancient world. So I'd go with:

300. This is Sparta!
    Gladiator

It would offer all kinds of cool DLC/Expansion ideas. Everything from Ancient Egypt To China.
    Of all possible ancient IPs you would go for one created by Frank Miller?

You have Homers great work but prefer the dude who made Batman into a sadistic maniac who feed rats to a 12 year old kid that just lost his parents?

I certainly agree that something from the classical era would be interesting, there were a Rome based MMO that sadly got cancelled in beta state a few years back.

But lets face it, only one ancient IP is popular enough to pull a MMO: Xena, warrior princess. 
    Mmmmm, Xena :smile:

Whenever I consider the question of "best", I have to consider both the features plus its potential to pull in a wide audience - without the audience, it won't have the ongoing income to keep growing and evolving like an MMO would. 

Xena, despite how cheesy it was and how bad the acting was, definitely had mass appeal and seemed to be particular popular with women. Would be nice to play another MMO with a gender-balanced community
    Hehe, the only appeal Xena had for me was because the actress is so hot at the time, I don't even remember the plot line. :lol:
    cameltosis

When you don't want the truth, you will make up your own truth.
    Another unpopular opinion of mine:

Hellgate: London, but this time with newer engine.
    Hariken

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    Probably the best unused IP for MMOs - especially with the aging veteran gamers:

Not bad, but I'm thinking "Grumpy Old Men" would be a better choice. ;)

There's a MUD with the same title. Go to forums.mmorpg.com. It's F2P, no cash-chops. Only P2W method is to get kinky with @BillMurphy. Just watch out for @SBFord, if she notices funny business she will get all kind and tries to lure you back to the light side. 

@DMKano is the tutorial dude, telling you what you should be feeling and wearing. 

@Loke666 is the cool dude you meet up randomly through out the world, he starts your class quest for your new cosmetic set. 

@Wizardry is a very ancient sage. He usually roams around dungeon entrances, discouraging adventurers to journey further.

For good a while you'd think @Torval and @Iselin are the same person. They used to both wear the mark of "ESO". You can summon them now on every reset, they drop Canadian beers and thank-yous.  

@Sovrath has been teased in a lot of trailers. He's locked behind future DLC. His skill is being rational, enough to make you crazy. 

@CrazyKanuk is the avatar of justice. He might annoy you from time to time, but you'll learn to love him for beating the crap out of the much more annoying mini-bosses. 

@MightyUnclean sadly didn't make it after the last beta. He was removed due to his awful combat skills. Although he's not a raid boss anymore, but he pops in town sometimes, giving you simple short quest-lines. 

@Gdemami is a wraith, appears out of nowhere, laughs at ya which reduces your dexterity and intelligence. 

If you kill all the above bosses @Dystopia appears in the main town, telling you it's all been a dream. 

Seasonal bosses, they come around during festive events, such as a new crowdfunding campaign. Their tag shows level 1, but don't get fooled by that. They create multiple instances luring all the players in, PvE and PvP alike. During these events the factions will form, in support or against these raid bosses. At the end, the only losers are the players. 

And last but not least, @Kyleran. He's very old, much much older than you can imagine. He's been there before any creature could make a sound. Some believe he's a vampire, some think he's just a out of job stand-up comic. Whatever he is, he's the toughest boss of all. We got no information on his loot drops since no party has ever succeeded in defeating the old bugger. 

For more info please check http://grumpy-old-men.wikia.com

Here's your IP for the best MMORPG. Enjoy!

Dakeru[Deleted User]KyleranSteelhelmcameltosisGladDogMrMelGibsonCryomatrix
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    edited June 2017
    Pokemon.... Been saying it for 10 years. 

If Nintendo makes a AAA mmo in the pokemon universe they will print money for a decade.  They don't seem to want to do it but Honestly if their console problems continue I think they will have to pull the trigger on it. 

It's honestly one of the things that could have killed WOW if done right.
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    I would like to see a properly developed sandbox Stargate MMO, Firefly would also be good if done properly.

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

Without quoting any one user, I'd like to agree with all those who would like to see an MMO set in the "shared" universe of 'Xena: Warrior Princess' and 'Hercules: The Legendary Journeys'. In the 90's the beginning of each series was awesome but they couldn't last. Neither was planned out from the beginning and by the third season of each all the best material had been used up. An MMO built from the ground up, heavily based on both series has a good chance of succeeding.

You could join up with roving bands of warlords to conquer and control your own land/s, vigilante defenders inspired by the deeds of Hercules and the reformed Xena that work to keep their own land/s and people safe from the warlord groups and other threats or even mercenary groups to fight for either group in their pursuit of profit, fame and personal glory. There could also be the option of solo adventurers that could join any group for as long as they wanted for their own reasons and then move on as they pleased.

Then you've also got the gods and their prick-ish behavior that could cause their own individual style/s of trouble. As each god fights against the others or competes for attention from the mortal realm monsters and various issues, events and disasters can pop up and the people must then deal with them the best way they know how.

There really is a lot to work with with this property. It just has to be planned out from the start.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I want to say Dragon Lance but if it's being developed by crytic and perfect world with a cash shop it's better off not existing.

In fact pretty much any IP mentioned would probably never be done right and just injected with cash shop cancer.

...but hey, if done right...
    DakeruGdemami

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Nilden said:
    I want to say Dragon Lance but if it's being developed by crytic and perfect world with a cash shop it's better off not existing.

In fact pretty much any IP mentioned would probably never be done right and just injected with cash shop cancer.

Dragonlance is a pretty hard IP to do right, to get a similar mode to Weiss and Hickmans books is hard enough as a DM, to do it in a MMO takes a very talented crew.

And yeah, Cryptic can't even make Forgotten realms right and it is the single easiest IP to make a MMO out of so there is no way they would make a good DL MMO.

There been more then a few good DL games in the past but all focus have been put on FR for a long time.
    Gdemami
  • OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Only an original IP, I think. MMO worlds function very strangely, not like anything you'd design for any other purpose. It does the licensed IP and the game a disservice to try to mash them together.
    Steelhelm

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    edited June 2017
    Loke666 said:
    Nilden said:

Dragonlance is a pretty hard IP to do right, to get a similar mode to Weiss and Hickmans books is hard enough as a DM, to do it in a MMO takes a very talented crew.

And yeah, Cryptic can't even make Forgotten realms right and it is the single easiest IP to make a MMO out of so there is no way they would make a good DL MMO.

There been more then a few good DL games in the past but all focus have been put on FR for a long time.
    Do you not find Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance extremely generic?

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the books and have read nearly every one of Salvatores FR books, but the actually settings all seem like very generic high fantasy to me. There is nothing really that stands out about them, the enjoyment is more from the personal narratives of the main characters in the books. Thats not to say I wouldn't want an MMO in either of those spaces, if done right, I just don't think the IP alone would bring in that many people. 

EDIT: I should also say I feel very much the same about Game of Thrones as an IP for an MMO. The actual world is pretty boring, it's pretty much just 10th century Earth with added white walkers and a few dragons. The book's appeal is the scope of the world politics, whilst the TV show's appeal is just glorified drama. Neither of those things would be well replicated in an MMO as all the magic of the IP only happens to a select few individuals at the top of the political hierarchy. Your average joe in GoT leads a pretty mundane life. Only way I could see it working is if guilds worked like houses so you could at least engage in plot-shifting politics at a guild level. 
  • Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

Most of my favorites have already been named.

• Thundar the Barbarian
    • Rifts
    • Shadowrun
    • World of Darkness
    • Gamma World

As important as the IP, however, is the implementation. Most AAA MMO's develop or purchase rights to decent IPs, but implement the games in a way I cannot stand.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

DMKano said:
    Probably the best unused IP for MMOs - especially with the aging veteran gamers:

Imagine of what you'll find and see when you unlock bikini costumes from the cash shop and equipped it to one of these "girls."
    DakeruNildenBlaze_Rocker[Deleted User]Scot

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    DMKano said:

Imagine of what you'll find and see when you unlock bikini costumes from the cash shop and equipped it to one of these "girls."

I imagine my face melting as if I'd just opened the Ark of the Covenant.
    MrMelGibson

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• karter64karter64 Member UncommonPosts: 96

Some of the Clive Barker books might make good settings, Books of the Abarat series, or Imajica. He always creates great worlds but would be hard to break away from the main story lines.

I also think the Riverworld  series or Rings of the Masters books might work.

Although it seems to me the most successful MMORPGS are all original IP's.

• gunzlingergunzlinger Member UncommonPosts: 1
    First post here! How about say, Macross or Super Robot Wars?
  • holdenfiveholdenfive Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Mad Max or maybe Lovecraft.
  • BrumeBrume Member UncommonPosts: 62
    edited January 2018
    One of the most interesting setting i would like to play is Cartel / Mafia MMO. I would like to see a game that play like the first Gangster, more strategy oriented. where you build a cartel from scratch and own a sector. You can recruit different persons, launch mission and attack on other players or AI. Players would have differents rank, and you can work for different owned cartel. Bribery, racketing, Labs, extorsion that would be very different and refreshing.  
    [Deleted User]
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    edited January 2018
    Marvel & DC, still havn't been a good mmo yet....

Otherwise, Street Fighter, Tekken, Soul Calibur, Megaman X, or Marvel/Capcom universe collab. I really think SC has huge mmo potential, the scenery, weapons, just screams mmo.

KOF has a mmo, hopefully Capcom and others follw suit.
  • DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    • Naruto
    • Hunter X Hunter
    • Fairy Tail
    • Mass Effect
    • Dune
    • Star Trek
    • Babylon 5
    • Game of Thrones
    • Starcraft
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I'm so jaded and cynical that you might as well be asking "which IP will make the best cash shop?".
    Blaze_RockerMrMelGibson

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171
    GladDog said:
    Elric of Melnibone

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melniboné

That would be a world worth playing in!

-------------------

Also, the world of Thomas Covenant would be a great setting for an MMORPG.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chronicles_of_Thomas_Covenant

either or

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171

Tarnsman of Gor

• 45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
    karter64 said:

Although it seems to me the most successful MMORPGS are all original IP's.

Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, Final Fantasy, Star Wars.
  • DabOnThemDabOnThem Member UncommonPosts: 141
    The 'Bloody gaming" thing of the front page.....Thought of Bloody Roar...

A mmo where players customize human and animal alter egos would be sweet. That game was the $hit back in the day. fav fighting games of all time.
    Blaze_Rocker