Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft - Our Guide to Keeping Busy Until Battle for Azeroth Arrives - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    I used to think of Blizzard as leading the MMO industry. Not even close any more. They are quite content in milking this golden cow.
    josko9
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I personally couldn't care less about BfA. Classic is what I'm hyped for. But honestly I don't have much faith in Blizz anymore and I wouldn't be surprised if they totally ruined it with too many bad changes and some trash gambling mechanics imported from Legion. Not gonna hold my breath.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    @thunderC -- they've already said that the legendary system such as is in Legion is going away. :) YAY!

@geezergamer There's no way that Classic and BfA will come out at the same time. I'd say BfA will be the focus of PR and will come out first followed by Classic at least 6 months, if not a year, later. They ARE working on it as the jobs listings have proven, but it's not the focus for the closest WoW release despite some folks' hopes. Their goal with Classic is to "get it right" and they're collecting fan input because the range of what people want from Classic is huge. Some want new models. Some don't. Some want transmog. Some don't.
    Well. it's either Classic or it's not. If "getting it right" means fixing the bugs that existed, fine. Otherwise, if they start adding QOL features, then it's not really Classic. It's "Classic-Like" and then they aren't "getting it right"
    You should go take a look at the official classic forums because the opinion on what "classic" represents is huge. That's why they're soliciting opinions and why it's going to take awhile for anything to happen. 

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/22814264/
    Which is the exact long road they took that put them in this place where players want Classic WoW. Classic WoW was not perfect and many hours sucked. But it worked for me and many others. 

They can give BFA to everyone who wants all the new QOL features and functions and give Classic to those who want to re-play their nostalgic WoW (like me) from Vanilla. EFFING with that formula is what got them where they are now and probably won't work as well for either crowd.

Trying to find a happy medium in Classic is going to leave no one happy. QOL seekers will go back to BFA, and Classic WoW will go back to whatever they were doing up to this point.

Trying to please everyone? It's not gonna happen. They will fall flat on their face if they compromise on this. I am not reading that whole thread, but if they start doing all that, they'll end up with a fork and not Classic.

EDIT:
    I hope I am wrong.

Well, to be fair, it's not as simple as Classic is Classic is it?  Is Classic v1.1 or v1.12 ... or maybe v1.5?  That's what Blizzard needs to figure out and I think that's the underlying point Susie was trying to make. 

Perhaps Blizzard decides to use v1.12 as a baseline but implements the original version of Alterac Valley?  Alterac Valley is just one example of something that change significantly during the life span of vanilla WoW.  So which version of Alterac Valley do they put in Classic?  Pre 1.5? Post 1.5?  Perhaps both?  I guess we'll find out eventually.
    Original Alterac Valley with all the warts :)

and a big

Fuck You Korrak! 

[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Torval said:
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:
    @thunderC -- they've already said that the legendary system such as is in Legion is going away. :) YAY!

@geezergamer There's no way that Classic and BfA will come out at the same time. I'd say BfA will be the focus of PR and will come out first followed by Classic at least 6 months, if not a year, later. They ARE working on it as the jobs listings have proven, but it's not the focus for the closest WoW release despite some folks' hopes. Their goal with Classic is to "get it right" and they're collecting fan input because the range of what people want from Classic is huge. Some want new models. Some don't. Some want transmog. Some don't.
    Well. it's either Classic or it's not. If "getting it right" means fixing the bugs that existed, fine. Otherwise, if they start adding QOL features, then it's not really Classic. It's "Classic-Like" and then they aren't "getting it right"
    You should go take a look at the official classic forums because the opinion on what "classic" represents is huge. That's why they're soliciting opinions and why it's going to take awhile for anything to happen. 

Which is the exact long road they took that put them in this place where players want Classic WoW. Classic WoW was not perfect and many hours sucked. But it worked for me and many others. 

They can give BFA to everyone who wants all the new QOL features and functions and give Classic to those who want to re-play their nostalgic WoW (like me) from Vanilla. EFFING with that formula is what got them where they are now and probably won't work as well for either crowd.

Trying to find a happy medium in Classic is going to leave no one happy. QOL seekers will go back to BFA, and Classic WoW will go back to whatever they were doing up to this point.

Trying to please everyone? It's not gonna happen. They will fall flat on their face if they compromise on this. I am not reading that whole thread, but if they start doing all that, they'll end up with a fork and not Classic.

EDIT:
    I hope I am wrong.

Well, to be fair, it's not as simple as Classic is Classic is it?  Is Classic v1.1 or v1.12 ... or maybe v1.5?  That's what Blizzard needs to figure out and I think that's the underlying point Susie was trying to make. 

Perhaps Blizzard decides to use v1.12 as a baseline but implements the original version of Alterac Valley?  Alterac Valley is just one example of something that change significantly during the life span of vanilla WoW.  So which version of Alterac Valley do they put in Classic?  Pre 1.5? Post 1.5?  Perhaps both?  I guess we'll find out eventually.
    Do they add "cross realm battleground" which was a 1.12 feature as well, but more in line with the design philosophy of 2.x? They probably shouldn't even though I don't care one way or another. Or more accurately, I think it would be easy good will if they did exclude it.

I feel like there are a lot of intangible pieces they need to put in place in order to pull this off. Do a stinker like they did with the D1 Anniversary event and they will never live it down.

After reading some of the posts in those discussions I hope some people aren't deliberately trying to sabotage the project.
    I know que time really sucked for alliance on most servers back in the day. I really miss the rivalries that existed before cross realm.

My enemies were a lot of friendly fun, in the battlegrounds, in the world and on the forums.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    All I have to say is this...

If you have to find a reason to continue playing until the next expansion, you're already bored out of your skull.

The reason to continue playing should be obvious. You don't need prodding to goat you into doing it.

That's called having fun. You gleefully entertain yourself instead of relying on someone else define what fun is for you.

Creating a bucket list made up from lists provided to you isn't a bucket list. Do you really want to jump out of perfectly good airplane or are you being prodded into doing it? Do you really want to do dailies or are you being prodded into doing it? What if you did all the world quests tomorrow and none of them rewarded you a damn thing? Would you do them again? Surely if you really wanted to do them, you wouldn't need some reward to entice you.

Fun is doing something you want to do irregardless of prestige or reward. Did you fire up WoW originally because you wanted to be a level 60 decked out in all the best gear? No, you fired up WoW to see what it was all about and you stayed because you were having fun.

WoW today is a non-stop list of things to do... not your list, but Blizzard's list. They provide you with this list to keep you subbed. Because they know in order to do all the things on the list you have to keep playing. They have things to do that you can't even do but certain times of the year. They have things to do that reward you with more things to do. Again, not things that you want to do per se, but things.

A good game doesn't tell you want to do to have fun. That's what Classic has over modern WoW... it's completely devoid of these endless to-do lists and pointless achievements. You, the player, came up with things to do on your very own... because you knew what fun was.

If getting the achievement "Ahead of the Curve" really was all that important to you, you would have already done it long ago. Hell, if it wasn't in the list, you probably would never have done it to begin with because it was never your idea to start.
    RidelynnMrMelGibson
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    SBFord said:
    SBFord said:

EDIT:
    I hope I am wrong.

Yeah, I see your (and @SBFord and @Torval) point. And you are right.
    MrMelGibson
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    When people say "classic" WoW I think of how awful launch went and how bad it was for the first couple of months.....
    Octagon7711
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Definitely unsubbed. Came back for a month and the catch up was brutal. I don't mind working to catch up, but you can't do Mythic+ without the iLevels, and you can't raid without the iLevels. The first thing guilds ask you when you are shopping around for one is what your iLevel is. They will invite you, and ask if you want to raid, but the members generally don't help you run any of the content you need to run to gear up.

LFR was dropping some pretty awful gear (I guess one can be lucky there). I was getting 90% Versatility gear from World Quests. After 2 weeks of doing this "grind" for 5+ hours a day, I just gave up. It wasn't worth it, and it wasn't fun. I still couldn't do anything mildly progressive in the game, cause I was still basically at square one.

I'm quite pessimistic about BfA, TBH. I think the game has matured in a way that is quite off-putting for me, largely due to the constant "gear resets" with content patches. They push the iLevels way up, and the tiered gear set system on top of that, makes it extremely hard to jump back into the game. New expansions are usually the best time to do this, but I'm not sure if I'm going to get back on this hamster wheel.

I had same issues in both Warlords of Draenor and Legion. The game is at a point where it's very likely you will get burnt out just trying to get back into it.
    [Deleted User]
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I can barely wait for new expansion ... still, my mind is 100% occupied with FF14 currently, then Gw2 is waiting his turn, maybe something else .... and then for sure 1 month before expansion I will return to Wow. But ... once there was for me only Wow & the rest of the world ... now I have found other great games in last i.e. 5 years or something .... so it is normal I'm no longer subbed. For now.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I might try and start a new priest from scratch. Will last a week before I give up again.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    classic WOW will be great for leveling and AV. But I don't really like the way you gear up at the level cap so I doubt I'd do much PVE endgame ever again
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Personally, I'm not into replicating the original experience note for note. It's boring to me once you do it a couple times. I would rather they replicate and stay true to the original mechanics and design and then slowly fork it over time by adding content consistent with those designs and mechanics. I think many people would like to see what Azeroth would look like, beyond 1.x maps, but with 1.x systems.

I don't think it could ever include a level increase though because that starts screwing with the math which could pose a longevity issue. Does longevity, in the traditional sense, even matter in this case? Or are people who want to play on this kind of server going to be happy with a static world and content. It may be they don't want anything to change at all over time including additions.
    I agree that's a tricky question for Blizzard to answer.  Would maybe adding content that offered your best attempt at sidegrades to help further highlight the talent trees work?  I agree that a lot of vertical progression seems like a no-no.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2018
    Torval said:
    Personally, I'm not into replicating the original experience note for note. It's boring to me once you do it a couple times. I would rather they replicate and stay true to the original mechanics and design and then slowly fork it over time by adding content consistent with those designs and mechanics. I think many people would like to see what Azeroth would look like, beyond 1.x maps, but with 1.x systems.

I don't think it could ever include a level increase though because that starts screwing with the math which could pose a longevity issue. Does longevity, in the traditional sense, even matter in this case? Or are people who want to play on this kind of server going to be happy with a static world and content. It may be they don't want anything to change at all over time including additions.
    Believe it or not, I actually agree with this.

However........

I don't have faith that Blizzard can pull it off.

Which is why I am asking for the 1 bird in the hand.
    [Deleted User]
  • CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    uninstalled the game since 2010 :) and keep going..
    FU abomination of Blizzard
  • MrG8MrG8 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Yes stop with this expansion-nonsense and give us Vanilla !
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    uninstalled the game since 2010 :) and keep going..
    FU abomination of Blizzard
    As predictable as the sun rising every morning. ^^
    Octagon7711[Deleted User][Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've played Blizzard off and on since launch,  I look forward to see what they will come up with, always.  
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Torval said:

I agree that's a tricky question for Blizzard to answer.  Would maybe adding content that offered your best attempt at sidegrades to help further highlight the talent trees work?  I agree that a lot of vertical progression seems like a no-no.
    I don't know. I go back and forth because once you start adding things it's not the original experience anymore. Maybe they should have a strict server that is mostly static and then offer a classic progression server every 6 months to a year. Each new one could have a different theme to it.

DBG has done that with EQ2 and EQ. It's very popular with their core base. It ruined the game for me, but most people love it. MMOs are about making the community work so this could be good for Blizz and other older MMOs if Blizzard does this right.
    It's a tightrope.  The ideal would be horizontal content that could effectively be ignored (so those wishing for only the classic content don't have to bother with it), but then it's much tougher to make the content attractive.

Not sure that's realistically achievable, and two different classic paths may be the most realistic option.  I, for one, would enjoy exploring new content geared towards the same philosophy that made the original experience fun: dangerous worlds that encouraged grouping both in instances and in the open areas.  Open world quests that required a group to complete, with the included solo-friendly content that we got with the original.  A focus on open world activities that brought players of both factions into contact with one another more organically than a queue.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2018

SBFord said:

SBFord said:

Trying to please everyone? It's not gonna happen. They will fall flat on their face if they compromise on this. I am not reading that whole thread,
    but if they start doing all that, they'll end up with a fork and not Classic.

EDIT:
    I hope I am wrong.

Once they have worked out what QoL and playability type stuff they want and how they are going to manage the whole thing I believe Classic will be

........v1.1.

Remember when WoW launched there was a content patch every 2 months. A proper content patch. (Which they produced whilst making Burning Crusade!) And I see no reason why they wouldn't broadly adopt the same approach. Maybe slightly faster patches - every 6 weeks say? - but I feel this will be the way they will go.

Remember the $$$! Keep people subscribed as long as possible.