Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Best MMOs of 2017 - The List - MMORPG.com

12345679»

Comments

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I haven't visited this site in ages. Thanks Bill for reminding me why I left years ago. The people here at MMORPG.com have absolutely no clue what they are doing.

Those games are not MMO's no matter how much you claim they are.

Player Unknowns.... I cant even.

Instead of using your outlet as a way to push ACTUAL MMOs into the spotlight, you push two battle arena games and an OARPG. I knew you guys were clueless.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• aligada8712aligada8712 Member CommonPosts: 7

No, ALL of these games are MMOs, but what an MMO is has changed greatly since the genre’s inception. And if you disagree, that’s fine. Just make your own list.

No it only has changed in your vocabulary but mmo and ultimately players are 2 diff things. Just saying as a writer you should know the diff between the 2. The same rules still applies nothing has changed. Lobby games are considered multi player. You can argue that destiny only has 100 players on their server but this isn't true. Within 1 server are different realms. The word massively multiplayer online. See the word massively. Even if you say massive that's isn't big. Eve online ffxiv bdo swtor eso. These are what you call massively. Warframe has never reached that because it doesn't support it. Find me a video of warframe having a 500vs 500 player then I'll take my statement back. But what you should've named the title of your post should be top multiplayer. Again u just wanted to drag your post and include these none mmo games into the list.
    edited January 2018

SBFord said:

Geez, people, lighten up. It's not like Bill said these were all MMORPGs, simply "MMOs".

I dunno...."M" (MASSIVE) "M" (MULTIPLAYER) "O" (ONLINE) all seem to fit each of these games. The definition of massive has changed. The days of 1000s of players sharing a single game are mostly gone and if you consider "servers" -- most of which host fewer than 500 players -- these games all fit. 

The "new" MMO is 50+ to whatever number of players together in one place. People need to adapt with the times. Someday maybe the more "traditional" version of MMO will come back, but for now, times have changed. It's not 2007 any more.

What you said is false because the first mmo ragnorak online had thousands. That is where mmorpg really originated from. Multiplayer originated from consoles and gameboys. Also your third statement is wrong. Eve online an old school mmo is no where near 50 players lol on one server. Oh u want rpg? Black desert online has more then 100 on 1 server lol.
  • Darklighter1Darklighter1 Member UncommonPosts: 250
    I always enjoy coming to this site for a good laugh. Don't even list WoW in your Top 10.....but tell me more about how wonderful PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds is....

Gisrie said:

wait, were calling BDO a sandbox game now? i mean, sorta i guess.

have to agree with most that some of these games are not what the traditional definition of 'MMO' is, but at this point i think its no longer an acronym and instead just used to define any type of online game.

No it needs to be fix lol because kids now days are comming out with new slangs. I mean take the word edgy. They define it as an emo or gothic. Growing up that was never the case now kids even using words the already has meaning I to something dumb. Same with mmo. Through public needs to be corrected but it's writers ahem like Bill Murphy who create new definition for mmos and have loyal fans follow him like he wrote the bible. It's a simple world to understand and it's a simple word to figure out if that game is considered an mmo.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Meh, MMO kinda just means multi-player of some sort now i guess. :/ But, the term changing is also because of the scope and size of games getting reduced and less actual MMOs being made or even staying around too i feel.

MMO is generally understood to mean "MMORPG."  People took the RPG off, because it's long as f**k to say with it in there.  It's the same reason why people say Rob instead of Robert.  I think this argument is based on awful semantics.  We all know what people mean when they ask something like "Do you play any MMOs?"

Very, very few of us would expect anyone to reply "Yea, I play Path of Exile" to that question.  What an "MMO" is, is fairly widely understood by gamers - and even non-gamers.

The only argument in their favor is that they are trying to redefine the term, which IS the flavor of the times...  That's most likely what is going on.  They're basically misusing it, purposely, in hopes that the newer - overly-broad - definition takes hold.  This may or may not happen.

Right now, I never come here to read about anything but MMORPG development and release schedules (and frankly, the fanboy wars are so strong that Wikipedia is often a much better place to consult first).  The non-MMORPG forums are generally fairly dead, anyways, as people have moved onto Reddit and other forums..

• kryllenkryllen Member UncommonPosts: 27
    The issue, quite basically, is that this may be an "MMO" list, depending on how sketchy you consider Massively to be..but that is only half of it. The rest is "RPG". While yes, the article does not specify it is an RPG list..the site does. This is MMORPG.com. I come here for MMORPG related crap and it's getting sickening how much non-rpg shooter games or instanced/canned games are being represented.

It's sad when you can get better MMORPG articles, news and discussions from Reddit than this site.
  • SubilacSubilac Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I've played a few games on that list, but went back to EQ2 lol. I can't seem to get past the Everquest franchise. I did play WoW for a few years, but all my friends quit, and guild disbanded.
  • ElminzterElminzter Member UncommonPosts: 283
    shameless advertisement guess this is another paid advertisement for fortnite!!!, fortnite, is just a ripoff of PUBG, if PUBG has not been a success would fortnite even make it to this list..., their main game failed so bad..., at least PUBG is making money, i really wonder how long would fortnite last since it's f2p and another with half a brain would not pay for their main game with is SHIT, but continue playing FN battle royale which is free heh!!
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

“In no particular order, here are our 10 Best MMOs of 2017. Note, not all of these are MMORPG’s, but rather prime examples of the changing landscape of persistent online games.”

I look forward to this site's upcoming name change to "POG.com" in 2018.

;)
    GeezerGamerConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• R3d.GallowsR3d.Gallows Member UncommonPosts: 155
    10 millions copies sold/accounts created doesnt equal 10 million players.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Kyleran said:

“In no particular order, here are our 10 Best MMOs of 2017. Note, not all of these are MMORPG’s, but rather prime examples of the changing landscape of persistent online games.”

;)
    Great, then we can start arguing over the definition of "persistent"
    Because, according to this article, that term is evolving too.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Great, then we can start arguing over the definition of "persistent"
    Because, according to this article, that term is evolving too.

I think the main argument here should be about "evolving" definition. ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    edited January 2018
    By the way. Happy new year.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I can give you a ten page reason for the content of this article ;)
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    Why are half of them not even mmos?
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    totally kidding : D
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited January 2018
    No it hasn't changed, the devs making these online mini games are calling them mmo's when in fact they are not.

Bill and his buddy's who have gone along with these money grabbing devs are an insult to what mmorpg truly are.

Time to make this site just a standard gaming site with a section dedicated to true mmorpg. By doing this you can save yourself the trouble of having to defend yourselfs against threads like this which are your own doing.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229

PUBG is persistent? I love PUBG but I can't see how that game could classify as MMO in any sense of the term. There is no progression. No RPG elements. No persistent world. No quests. Only 100 players max. Games last 30 minutes. What about PUBG would classify it as an MMO? I don't think Fortnite or any other BR game does, either. By the implied logic of this list I guess Battlefield 1 is an MMO? Is Overwatch also an MMO? What classifies as MMO these days is getting a bit silly. I guess we were all playing an MMO back in the Quake I days and didn't know it!

Nit picky side note: I don't think PUBG started from H1Z1 as mentioned in the article but rather as an ARMA mod that got licensed to H1Z1 before it became it's own game.
  • EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    I have to add that this list of "best" MMOs for 2017 is a case in point of why I haven't played any MMO in well over a year and then the year before that I was playing EQ1 on a time locked classic server. This list is rather sad. Half the games aren't even MMOs or stretch the imagination to be one. The other half are mediocre MMOs at best filled with loot crates and cash shops and other garbage "features" or "innovations" that dumb down the genre and feed into the instant gratification and predatory nature that they represent.

Hopefully, Pantheon or AoC can slightly reverse the trend but at this point I'm not holding my breath. MMOs as many of us fondly remember them are dead. SAD.
  • HachlathHachlath Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited January 2018

No, ALL of these games are MMOs, but what an MMO is has changed greatly since the genre’s inception. And if you disagree, that’s fine. Just make your own list.

We can not because of lack of MMORPGS since 2008/2011. In this list I see FPS, solo/small groups oriented RPGs or solo/small group oriented hack n slash. No mmorpgs. We must wait for AoC or crowfall, or DAOC2 to come. It's not easy to find a real nice/great mmorpg since years. And, it' not your fault, best ones are old ones (SW, or FF14 or GW2... TESO... all of them are ancient MMOS, not new ones.)