Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of Elyria update from Caspien (Jan 2018)

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    dadazar said:
    It seems here are some dedicated trolls reporting strangely engaged about a game they seem to have issues with. might be just fishing for.. whatever, or driven by hurted feelings..
    Constructive reporting, like one might claim to do, is something else. Propagating stigmating phrases, like "The Ivory Tower", is mostly found in manipulative "news", i think.
    Welcome to MMORPG.COM

Such astute observations in such a short time here...

If you’d like to discuss the topic feel free.  If you’d like to discuss “trolls” you are on the wrong forum.

No trolls here,  only "Harbingers"

B)
    Slapshot1188JamesGoblinYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• dadazardadazar Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Yea.. I like the game concept very much and it´s indeed kind of hurting to see it sabbotaged on this mainstream platform in such a way. So, what´s wrong with it, if some positivly engaged so called "harbingers" try to defend the bridge from negatively motivated so called "trolls"?! You do noone any service here, if you just try to propagate your negative feelings.
    You can do better!
    Peace.
    Slapshot1188EponyxDamorTalonsinIselinYashaXkrulerKyleran
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    It's almost like deja vu around here.  Shortly we should start to hear about "slander".

JamesGoblinYashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    edited January 2018
    Yeah some people just don't learn...

*edit*
    Well in fact this time it's worse. He claims there are some trolls sabotaging the game.
    If he had a look around before rejoining he would have realized that by now everyone who was neutral about the game has made up their minds that this just reeks of incompetence and scam.
    JamesGoblinYashaXGdemami
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:

*edit*
    Well in fact this time it's worse. He claims there are some trolls sabotaging the game.
    If he had a look around before rejoining he would have realized that by now everyone who was neutral about the game has made up their minds that this just reeks of incompetence and scam.
    Trolls don't sabotage games developers do it to themselves with an assist from the Ivory Tower.

I mean this thread is mostly about something no rational person could dispute.  Changing from SpatialOS to something in house has got to be concerning.  It is what was described by these very same people as the "fabric" the game was being built on.   It was always IMHO the largest risk point of the game: Some way to handle hundreds of thousands of characters that don't logout, large scale PvP battles and millions of items.  Even with SpatialOS it was super risky because it is an unproven commodity... but at least it was one with over a half billion dollars invested in it.  Now we are supposed to believe that a few guys created the equivalent by using open source free products in just a few months.

Sorry, but in this case the burden of proof is on the Developers to actually show large scale interaction between characters and items in a live environment.

YashaXGdemamiKyleran

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited January 2018
    "Everyone who `was´ neutral.." now got your opinion, that you made out of your competence to see clearly with your collective sharp, knowing minds.
    How you want to seriously judge about the teams competence or intentions by how they manage their puplic relations, i can´t tell.
    You might feel like there could be scam because they try to fund their game in ways you don´t see how could be plausible? Support by money and good will is what such a crowdfunding needs most, i would like to point out.
    So, your mutual self-assuring propagation of your bad feelings might just cause a self-fulfilling-prophecy.
    EponyxDamorIselinYashaXkrulerKyleran
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    dadazar said:

So, your mutual self-assuring propagation of your bad feelings might just cause a self-fulfilling-prophecy.
    Are you really gonna go with "the game will fail because you had a negative opinion about the developers" as an argument?

Welcome to MMORPG.com forums, by the way.
    Slapshot1188Kyleran
    dadazar said:

Or... more likely... continued ineptitude and poor project planning will doom the project.  The team finds out NOW that the software they self-described as the fabric the game is built on was too expensive?  I negotiate contracts all the time... for equipment.. software.. whatever.  Cost is always a primary component of these discussions.  To think the cost of the "fabric" of your game  was an unknown quantity after all this time is simply staggering.

If you'd like to really discuss the affect of Harbingers on game development please make a new post. 
    YashaXkrulerGdemami

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Kyleran said:
    Haha. As usual, Slap can't back up what he says with proof.  So instead he tries to find something else to bitch about. *Looks very amused*
    Slap has some sort of "source ' within the inner circle who may have shared some non public info.
    Don't try to engage the Ivory Tower.  The only winning move is not to play their game.

Indeed, don't provide sources and it makes me look like the fool. Not! 
    See 2 posts above this one.  

Kind of breaking my rule... but when someone tees the ball up for you like that it's hard to resist.  Once again, my sources prove more reliable than the Ivory Tower :)

BOOM goes the dynamite! 

Love you Slappy!!! 
    Slapshot1188Bestinna
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

dadazar said:

Are you really gonna go with "the game will fail because you had a negative opinion about the developers" as an argument?

Welcome to MMORPG.com forums, by the way.
    No, i don´t say the game will fail. I just want to point out, that this kind of negative advertisement does have effects on the development, hence my and everyones support and hope for this game. I don´t claim to be a all-knowing professional to judge how they do it.

Ofc, i don´t like everything they do. And i can´t see behind the curtains. And yes, i got my worries if this will turn out well. But i know, that profiling myself with dark prophecies makes no sense, not for the game not for others. Unless they would scam. But that, i´m pretty confident, is not the case.

@Slapshot1188
    Btw, no person is pure rational. Nore is the ratio the more powerful influence. It´s an illusion to believe that - tho our illusions are many anyway. And one might want to practise his feelings and motives first, before one can use his reason a bit better.
    YashaXStaalBurgher
  • mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited January 2018
    Dakeru said:

*edit*
    Trolls don't sabotage games developers do it to themselves with an assist from the Ivory Tower.

I mean this thread is mostly about something no rational person could dispute.  Changing from SpatialOS to something in house has got to be concerning.  It is what was described by these very same people as the "fabric" the game was being built on.   It was always IMHO the largest risk point of the game: Some way to handle hundreds of thousands of characters that don't logout, large scale PvP battles and millions of items.  Even with SpatialOS it was super risky because it is an unproven commodity... but at least it was one with over a half billion dollars invested in it.  Now we are supposed to believe that a few guys created the equivalent by using open source free products in just a few months.

Sorry, but in this case the burden of proof is on the Developers to actually show large scale interaction between characters and items in a live environment.

I find this amusing since in this thread this is what you were saying about SpatialOS to indicate it was a negative for SBS. The half a billion dollars wasn't relevant to that debate.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/470498/developer-seems-frustrated-that-publishers-dont-understand-coes-appeal/p14

Slapshot1188 said:

As for Spatial OS being a positive... we will see. It’s another of those edge cases that CoEs success hinges on.  It sounds great in theory but so do many ideas... and even those that pan out often have growing pains.   It COULD be a revolutionary change to how games are developed. It could also be a huge shoulder shrug.

Slapshot1188 said:

The main complaints I see on reddit and steam are all the concerns we have related to COE...  massive lag and crashes..   Like I said... unproven tech at this point.

YashaX
    Dakeru said:

*edit*

I find this amusing since in this thread this is what you were saying about SpatialOS to indicate it was a negative for SBS. 

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/470498/developer-seems-frustrated-that-publishers-dont-understand-coes-appeal/p14

Slapshot1188 said:

As for Spatial OS being a positive... we will see. It’s another of those edge cases that CoEs success hinges on.  It sounds great in theory but so do many ideas... and even those that pan out often have growing pains.   It COULD be a revolutionary change to how games are developed. It could also be a huge shoulder shrug.

Slapshot1188 said:

The main complaints I see on reddit and steam are all the concerns we have related to COE...  massive lag and crashes..   Like I said... unproven tech at this point.

I think your logic is flawed here.. not that we aren't used to that yet right?

He said several times that this unproven technology may not turn out to do CoE any good.
    While Caspian as usual was convinced this is the key to get all those impossible features going and that with the speed of light.

Now Caspian abandoned his precious key to miracles.

And once more you try to spin this around into good news for CoE...
    YashaXGdemami
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited January 2018
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

*edit*

I find this amusing since in this thread this is what you were saying about SpatialOS to indicate it was a negative for SBS. 

Slapshot1188 said:

Slapshot1188 said:

He said several times that this unproven technology may not turn out to do CoE any good.
    While Caspian as usual was convinced this is the key to get all those impossible features going and that with the speed of light.

At what point did I try to spin it as good news? I have voiced my concerns about this decision here.

https://www.mmorpg.com/chronicles-of-elyria/news/soulbound-drops-spatialos-in-favor-of-internal-solutions-1000047031#vanilla-comments

My point in the above post, which you clearly missed, is the information being twisted to suit the intended agenda at the time. 
    YashaX
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

*edit*

Slapshot1188 said:

Slapshot1188 said:

At what point did I try to spin it as good news? I have voiced my concerns about this decision here.

https://www.mmorpg.com/chronicles-of-elyria/news/soulbound-drops-spatialos-in-favor-of-internal-solutions-1000047031#vanilla-comments

My point in the above post, which you clearly missed, is the information being twisted to suit the intended agenda at the time. 
    I don't see anything twisted.
    Slap said this is a huge risk.
    Caspian said nah it's cool
    Caspian get's rid of SpatialOS
    Slap facepalms
    YashaXGdemami
    Harbinger of Fools
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

*edit*

Slapshot1188 said:

Slapshot1188 said:

Slap facepalms
    You are entitled to your opinions. :)
    YashaXkrulerKyleran
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

*edit*

Slapshot1188 said:

Slapshot1188 said:

Slap facepalms
    Dakeru don't bother.  It's clearly been explained multiple times.   We had concerns that SpatialOS and their half billion dollar funding could develop the technology needed to support the game.  Hundreds of thousands of players that never log out on each server with millions of persistent objects is simply not something we see in any game because of the issues that SpatialOS claimed to be able to resolve. 

Now though, you have a few guys think they can develop something as good or better with free opensource apps in a few months.   It went from extremely unlikely to needing an absolute miracle.

And again, if they could actually develop such tech on their own they should ditch the game design RP and open up a competitor to SpacialOS.  

But don't even acknowledge the silly arguments.  I have actually had people ask me if some of these are sock puppet accounts that I create just to have them tee-up ridiculous arguments I can hit out of the park.   I assure you that's not the case. 

The burden of proof is now on the Developers to prove they have created a solution that can support hundreds of thousands of characters on the same server.

Gdemami

• Pingu2012Pingu2012 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    edited January 2018
    Haha. As usual, Slap can't back up what he says with proof.  So instead he tries to find something else to bitch about. *Looks very amused*
    Per chance would you happen to have other examples of "as usual" where Slap doesn't have evidence

Just curious. I mean, you called him out on this example and it seems you may have something here. However, I'm just wondering because you are trying to springboard this example into a pattern.

Just like to see it. 

The reason I am curious, is that from what I have seen, Slap is pretty meticulous about his information. And if you can show a pattern here, that I haven't seen, well....you know.

Otherwise, you are just undermining your own credibility.
    I have, and when I have time to look back over the forums I will post them for you. Tonight is not the night though since I have other things to do. 
    Yet you still had time to respond. Honestly, I'm not trying to start anything with you. I have just noticed that you vigorously defend CoE. Concerning all the CoE threads, I think we all take it with a grain of salt, with Slap or anyone else. The game will speak for itself, whenever it is released.
    It takes a lot less time to respond, then to search through several different pages in several different threads.  However, whenever I have seen Slapshot proven wrong in something he immediately starts to bitch about something unrelated to the topic. 

Yes, I defend CoE when things are blatantly portrayed to beat the game down and make it appear to be something it is not (A perfect example is this thread). If there was anything written that caused a concern for me I would speak about that as well.  I also have some concerns and am curious how others are going to work, but until the game is further into production everything said now is just assumptions on both sides.

Slapshot still hasn't provided a source by saying Caspain stated it on Discord. Copy and paste so folks can see exactly what was said. 

Also Slap you really need to get over the 150000 thing, D corrected my mistake and
    I didn't feel there was any need to continue on with it. But since that is all you have, and you really like to repeat yourself I guess it can be expected.  This is a perfect example of you finding something else to bitch about that has nothing to do with the topic. 
    https://i.imgur.com/3vnpl5A.png

Honestly, it didn't take much to find it. SoE has been *really* hyped on the Discord over the last several days.
    Had you been paying attention I wasn't looking for Caspain's Discord Quote. 
    "Slapshot still hasn't provided a source by saying Caspain stated it on Discord. Copy and paste so folks can see exactly what was said."

Nonsense. You made this EXACT request in the post EponyxDamor responded to :)

Edit... wow, this post appeared WAY after i wrote it - sorry I just ended up repeating what a bunch of others did already!
    Post edited by Pingu2012 on
    Slapshot1188YashaXEponyxDamor
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Pingu2012 said:
    Had you been paying attention I wasn't looking for Caspain's Discord Quote. 
    "Slapshot still hasn't provided a source by saying Caspain stated it on Discord. Copy and paste so folks can see exactly what was said."

Nonsense. You made this EXACT request in the post EponyxDamor responded to :)

Edit... wow, this post appeared WAY after i wrote it - sorry I just ended up repeating what a bunch of others did already!
    I am fine with this being repeated.
    Slapshot1188DakeruEponyxDamor
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

*edit*

Slapshot1188 said:

Slapshot1188 said:

Slap facepalms
    Yeah, and here's mine.
    COE is DEAD!
    There's no way in hell, losing SpatialOS is good news for COE. 
    No way no how. 
    Looking at the history of game development. When a developer can't move forward with foundational components, it's over. Done. Finished. Last one out kill the lights.

Right now, with the lack of any hard evidence that this game even exists beyond a tech demo, there is absolutely nothing that can be said that would convince me COE isn't currently dead and that SBS just isn't admitting that yet.
  • DleatherusDleatherus Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:
    Dakeru said:

*edit*

Slapshot1188 said:

Slapshot1188 said:

Slap facepalms
    Yeah, and here's mine.
    COE is DEAD!
    No way no how. 
    Looking at the history of game development. When a developer can't move forward with foundational components, it's over. Done. Finished. Last one out kill the lights.

Right now, with the lack of any hard evidence that this game even exists beyond a tech demo, there is absolutely nothing that can be said that would convince me COE isn't currently dead and that SBS just isn't admitting that yet.
    saved for future reference :)
    mystichazeKyleran
  • daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    Seriously, are we still having the same tech discussions that we had in example 2006 if it´s possible or not to develop a large complex MMO?
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2018

Yeah, and here's mine.
    COE is DEAD!
    No way no how. 

Why? 
    (I'm assuming your intent is to throw this in my face when the game releases?)

Yeah,
    You'll never post this again. 
    KyleranBestinna

Yeah, and here's mine.
    COE is DEAD!
    No way no how. 

Why? 
    (I'm assuming your intent is to throw this in my face when the game releases?)

Yeah,
    You'll never post this again. 
    They don't even publish an estimated release date any more.  Not a good sign.

The last roadmap they published said they would be "working on" ElyriaMud (The pre-Alpha Minecraft version) in Q4 2017.  In the SoE they state they hope to have Alpha 1 testers into that pre-alpha around April 2018.   Again... not a good sign but that's the only ETA they have given.

IMHO all of it is utterly pointless until they can prove the ability to handle hundreds of thousands of characters simultaneously on the same server... all actually playing or fighting or doing something other than standing around.

edited January 2018
    Oh my, as hostile and up in arms some of the Naysayers are you would think they have something to lose. *Shrugs* The positive part in all this is the 16000 that have actually invested in the project remain hyped and ready for success.

I might be concerned if pledged members were so negative, but they are not. 
    EponyxDamor
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Oh my, as hostile and up in arms some of the Naysayers are you would think they have something to lose. *Shrugs* The positive part in all this is the 16000 that have actually invested in the project remain hyped and ready for success.

I might be concerned if pledged members were so negative, but they are not. 
    Ah yes, thank goodness the game has 100,000+ backers like JW said it would by 2018, and has a large enough audience that it doesn't need more backers to fund development.

Oh, wait ...
    mystichazeMaxBacon