Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Early Adoption - How will things work in the future?

paterson.jonpaterson.jon Member UncommonPosts: 4
edited January 2018 in Star Citizen
Hey,

I am giving some thought buying a game package whilst the game is still in Alpha 3.0.

I am a little confused about how the real world payment for this game is going to work. When the game goes V1, will it be subscription based, or will it be a sort of "pay to level up" sort of deal?

Any insight that could be offered on this would be greatly appreciated.

KR,

PJ

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2018
    Heya,

The game is a B2P, you buy and play. It was announced they decided to adopt B2P with microtransactions instead of a subscription.

As for other things, the "DLC" planned lies on story sequels to the SP campaign SQ42 as far information goes.
    paterson.jon
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    It will be Buy to Play. No payments will be needed, however there is meant to be in game gold that you can purchase that will have a daily limit to how much you can get, with it you should be able to buy all the usual enticing stuff from any other cash shop type deal.

There is no rush on buying the game, don't get too hyped up. Game should be more palatable for average gamer in a year or two. Current game does not even offer a straight forward ship upgrade yet. There should be better gameplay loops and hopefully better optimization by summer time this year. Hope that helps. 
    paterson.jon
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Unfortunately no one really knows how things will be post release. They have said they expect most of their income to be from selling in-game cash, so it is possible the game will be designed around that but we really don't know at this time.

It's B2P and you should be able to do everything without spending any more money, whether that is possible and how long it actually takes you is another thing.
  • paterson.jonpaterson.jon Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Many, many thanks for the responses. I do very much appreciate them.

So, there's no way to make in game cash at the moment, and to get a better ship, I need to purchase with RW money?

So, if I were to "invest" now, I'd need to get a decent ship?

Other than the game being "boring" (as I've seen a lot of people mentioning - let's not forget that this is a space sim, rather than a true to form FPS. Similar things could be said about EVE Online but the same purple), for those who have Alpha or had a chance to play, what would you say your main gripes are?

PJ
    Many, many thanks for the responses. I do very much appreciate them.

So, there's no way to make in game cash at the moment, and to get a better ship, I need to purchase with RW money?

So, if I were to "invest" now, I'd need to get a decent ship?

Other than the game being "boring" (as I've seen a lot of people mentioning - let's not forget that this is a space sim, rather than a true to form FPS. Similar things could be said about EVE Online but the same purple), for those who have Alpha or had a chance to play, what would you say your main gripes are?

PJ
    There is in-game cash, but an Alpha version of it. It allows to buy from clothing, fps weapons, armors, gadgets, ship parts and ship weapons. The currency is planned to allow to rend & buy those ships in-game but not yet. Right now the ship you buy is the one you play with.

So one big point on that, Star Citizen is a sim, beyond the space sim aspect of it, but the gameplay one should expect from it is more on less casual play, say like Arma in a way (that also faces the same boring accusation) just not for everyone by default.

The main gripes are the performance and stability factors of the current release, being the main complaint it faces that can be breaking to gameplay because of the frequency of the issues, that has to be addressed seems to be priority for next major patch but aside of that don't expect one of its highlights being content attm.
    paterson.jon
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    There are pretty frequent "free fly" weekends for non-backers to try the game out before making any decision. And you can get an idea for yourself e.g. how the game currently runs on your machine, how good the graphics are etc. 

3.0 only released shortly before Christmas so the next one may be a few weeks off but they do happen at pretty frequent intervals.

As mentioned there should be an in-game path to update to better ships if you get a "starter" package.

Worth noting that a "ship" is essentially a character slot and there is a link to professions as well - if you later decide you want a mining ship say but started with a "fighter" your (probable) choices would be to earn in-game currency, buy in-game currency or buy another package. And earning in-game currency is OK with some not for others etc.
    paterson.jon
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    @paterson.jon
    With the in game currency "REC" gained from playing the Arena Commander Module you can check out OTHER ships than the one you pledged for. Duration: for one week. Often the free-fly weekends also allow you to testfly a certain ship e.g. Hornet for free. 

Have fun
    paterson.jon
    edited January 2018
    Erillion said:
    @paterson.jon
    With the in game currency "REC" gained from playing the Arena Commander Module you can check out OTHER ships than the one you pledged for. Duration: for one week. Often the free-fly weekends also allow you to testfly a certain ship e.g. Hornet for free. 

Have fun
    Yeah it isn't very straight forward at the moment (as in can not earn from missions in the main sandbox PU environmnet) and does not offer all current flyable ships. You can find a list here - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/electronic-access/electronic-ships
    paterson.jon
    Oh yeah, I forgot you can now rent some ships to use on the PU by earning REC in AC.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    MASSIVE cash shop,something that should NEVER be left out as it is VERY important information.
    It is actually part of the law under deceptive marketing practices.
    Moving forward,an even bigger cash shop to the point that NOBODY,except maybe Chris knows how far and intrusive the cash shop will become.

My educated guess,a cash shop involving 100x more cost than actual value if you wanted to attain all the assets like you can in ANY other game aside from cash shops of course.

So this leads to in game questions like ..."hey how do you guys get so and so?"...response ,you have to buy it in the cash shop.Does that sound like good gaming,like good game development practices,not to me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Does that sound like good gaming,like good game development practices,not to me.
    Well to be honest it just sounds like you are making things up as you go. Yes yes I think this is the case, random information pulled out of your......imagination. Thanks for contributing to the thread and your following contribution on why your random completely made up information is actually probably going to be 100% true!
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    There is one OFTEN stated basic principle in SC - you can get ANYTHING in game after launch for in game money. Without the need for real world cash. 

@Wizardry nice of you to share with us your view of the world through your personal reality filter.... 

And please .... if you think CIG is breaking the law... sue them. Do not talk about broken laws - sue them if you are so sure. JUST DO IT ! 

Have fun

Again, thanks for your responses.

Having read thru the forum a little I can see a lot of negativity towards the game. Fair enough, people have expectations, and can't be blamed for that. But nonetheless, my feeling (based on the information I have garnered thusfar, and also the very kind feedback you guys have offered) is that this is a game, currently still under development, and (relatively uniquely) undergoing community review. Personally, I think this is a great approach. Who better to make your game better, than people who are going to be playing it. But, my understanding is that RSI have taken a gamble on those that have "invested", insofar as that they need to trust that those who have, fully understand that this is a game in development, and is not yet finished. The notion of paying for this 'privilege' is new to me, however - being on the level, my reason fro my curiosity is this...

I used to play EVE Online... like way back 2004-ish. I spent around two years playing the game, before realising that it was becoming like a part time job, particularly if I wanted to progress. I do look back at that time with fond memories, but one thing I wish is that I had started it from the start, or if they had early access, participated in that - with the intention of having a pretty solid foundation of in-game money, skills and assets.

At the moment, I am looking at SC (slightly doe-eyed) considering getting in to this on the ground level so that, when the game goes GA/RTM and the flood gates open, I'll have that foundation I desire within the game, and not be caught in the hustle and bustle of the new player influx.

However, my concerns at this stage are that...

-I am getting a sense that, at this current release, there are no opportunities to start developing a character in game, and acquire items, money, etc. (perhaps I have misunderstood the responses above).
    -That moving forwards, when SC goes GA / RTM, any assets, in-game money, etc I will have accrued, will not progress or transcend to the production environments (if that is even a factor). Effectively meaning I'll be starting afresh on launch.

Getting involved at this stage, with the game unfinished, I know is a risk. But FFS, that's part of the allure of gaming is it not? Enjoying the risk of an activity, with few of the consequences associated with the activity? Also, is funding it at this stage not contributing to a better game come launch time???? Anyways, I digress.

Again, I want to thank all of you who participated in replying, like I said before, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. If you have more, I'd be happy to hear them too.

KR,

PJ
    MaxBacon
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    A starter package is only $45, $60 if they still have the SQ42 addon at checkout.  Worth it to see exactly how the game is doing.  If money is tight just wait for a free fly weekend close to the end of the year and test out the game without paying anything.
    paterson.jon

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    There will most certainly be wipes prior to release, however purchased ships and weapons will be accessible as soon as the game goes live. It will be possible to have an amount of in game cash set aside. If the P2W aspect does not concern you then have at it.

Regarding the negativity, some of it is unwarranted, some of it is deserved. It all depends how one feels about the game and what sort of standards they expect. As always with anything that is contentious there are trolls looking to stir up the drama, they exist on both sides of the fence. Going much farther would seriously derail this thread.
    paterson.jon
    edited January 2018
    -I am getting a sense that, at this current release, there are no opportunities to start developing a character in game, and acquire items, money, etc. (perhaps I have misunderstood the responses above).
    -That moving forwards, when SC goes GA / RTM, any assets, in-game money, etc I will have accrued, will not progress or transcend to the production environments (if that is even a factor). Effectively meaning I'll be starting afresh on launch.

Getting involved at this stage, with the game unfinished, I know is a risk. But FFS, that's part of the allure of gaming is it not? Enjoying the risk of an activity, with few of the consequences associated with the activity? Also, is funding it at this stage not contributing to a better game come launch time???? Anyways, I digress.

Again, I want to thank all of you who participated in replying, like I said before, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts. If you have more, I'd be happy to hear them too.

KR,

PJ
    Heya, 

So as for your first point, there is character development as, yes you acquire items, earn money, and with it you can develop through from customizing your player character (clothing, armors, weapons, etc...), and your ship (with ship components and weapons).  That opportunity is there and the game loop exists, because as well, the game has sinks with repair costs, refueling, ammo and even insurance claims (to retrieve your ship when it gets destroyed).

As for your second point, it's likely going to be that, the alpha will not fully persist towards release and wipes are expected.

The important part, in my opinion, is that you are aware of what backing SC at this stage implies, from there it's up to you want to jump in early or wait until a beta or even a release.

A lot of the negativity flows because of a popular and controversial game, pretty much tied to the delays the game has faced, it's something that does not affect you, you haven't backed the KS that originally said it would release in 2014, but if you back today then as it's known, there is no announced release date.
    paterson.jon
    Ahhh!

Thanks for the clarification @MaxBacon.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Someone once made a pretty good point.  If you want to see the state of a game just watch it being streamed live on Twitch.  It give a good view of the state of a game.  
    Cotic

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey