Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soulbound Drops SpatialOS in Favor of Internal Solutions - Chronicles of Elyria News

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Bombastus said:

Actually, "No big deal" was a quote from the studio. I am not interpreting anything in any of my posts here today.
    Then perhaps you should present it as such, rather than your own.
    Don't bother.
    YashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2018
    Bombastus said:
    SbS isn't creating a solution out of nowhere. They are changing to a combination of several third party middleware providers instead of relying on just one. This has been a progressive decision that included a number of factors (cost being one of them). It doesn't drastically change the amount of work they have to do. They arent making anything. They will need to hire an ops engineer down the road, which they had not planned on doing because of their partnership with Improbable. No big deal there.
    What you are saying makes sense. I can understand this as an option. But at the same time, if SBS can switch gears mid stream this easily, I have to wonder how much progress has actually been made. 
    Slapshot1188Pingu2012
  • BombastusBombastus Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Bombastus said:
    SbS isn't creating a solution out of nowhere. They are changing to a combination of several third party middleware providers instead of relying on just one. This has been a progressive decision that included a number of factors (cost being one of them). It doesn't drastically change the amount of work they have to do. They arent making anything. They will need to hire an ops engineer down the road, which they had not planned on doing because of their partnership with Improbable. No big deal there.
    I can understand this as an option. But at the same time, if SBS you can switch gears mid stream this easily, it makes me wonder just how "mid stream" this is.

You can't just re pour a foundation under a house already under construction because the new concrete is cheaper..........unless of course, there has been no foundation and no construction. And you hadn't actually purchased any concrete in the 1st place.
    I think there is a misunderstanding about what SpatialOS is in the construction analogy.  The foundation of the game is the Soulborne Engine.  That is staying just as it is. 

SpatialOS is like Comcast in our analogy: phone, TV, internet, home security, smart home controls... A big package deal.  All necessary for the finished project.  But each of those services is available from different providers, too.  The homeowners noticed early last year that Comcasts services come at to high a cost and don't provide the utility and flexibility the homeowners require, and began making alternate plans to make sure all the features they expect in their home will be there when the home is finished.  None of these decisions impacted the actual building of the house in a significant way.
    EponyxDamor
    edited January 2018
    Bombastus said:
    I can understand this as an option. But at the same time, if SBS can switch gears mid stream this easily, it makes me wonder just how "mid stream" this is.

You can't just re pour a foundation under a house already under construction because the new concrete is cheaper..........unless of course, there has been no foundation and no construction. And you hadn't actually purchased any concrete in the 1st place.
    Not only that, but Caspien has said that he expects (not hopes) to have HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of players on EACH SERVER.  These players characters will stay in the game and be taken over by AI/scripting.  On top of that the game is based on territory control warfare...

Without SpatialOS how are they going to support HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of characters simultaneously on their server?
    Here are the functions that Caspien claimed SpatialOS would handle:

It's the server technology that will allow us to support millions of entities in the world. Built first and foremost as a scalable, distributed operating system for games, SpatialOS means we don't have to spend time developing the things that generally take the most time when building a new MMO. We don't have to worry about networking on the server, load balancing all the entities in the world, replication of entities across multiple server nodes, cross-process communication, collision detection of millions of entities, etc. In short, we don't have to worry about developing any of the technology that makes an MMO, an MMO.

So what tech is now going to handle the millions of entities?  What game out there is using this replacement tech to demonstrate it?

Also note the part I bolded where he states the things SpatialOS does for them generally take the most time :)  

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
    YashaXIselinPingu2012

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• BombastusBombastus Member UncommonPosts: 9
    edited January 2018
    Bombastus said:
    I can understand this as an option. But at the same time, if SBS can switch gears mid stream this easily, it makes me wonder just how "mid stream" this is.

Not only that, but Caspien has said that he expects (not hopes) to have HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of players on EACH SERVER.  These players characters will stay in the game and be taken over by AI/scripting.  On top of that the game is based on territory control warfare...

Without SpatialOS how are they going to support HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of characters simultaneously on their server?

It's the server technology that will allow us to support millions of entities in the world. Built first and foremost as a scalable, distributed operating system for games, SpatialOS means we don't have to spend time developing the things that generally take the most time when building a new MMO. We don't have to worry about networking on the server, load balancing all the entities in the world, replication of entities across multiple server nodes, cross-process communication, collision detection of millions of entities, etc. In short, we don't have to worry about developing any of the technology that makes an MMO, an MMO.

So what tech is now going to handle the millions of entities?  What game out there is using this replacement tech to demonstrate it?

Also note the part I bolded where he states the things SpatialOS does for them generally take the most time :)  

The idea is to have between 100,000-250,000 players on each of the US servers.  But, then that statement right there is far too simplistic to convey the idea properly, because a "server" to the player could be hundreds of servers on the backend of the game.  Those players are spread across a continent that is over 18k sqm. in surface area.  The game would almost certainly never see hundreds of thousands of players on a single machine.  Using multiple servers to cover a busy region is not something new to MMO gaming, and not unique to SpatialOS.

Now, as I understand it the great strength of SpatialOS is the real-time dynamic allocation of servers to a region in the gamespace.  I haven't made a close study yet of the new programs SbS is using (Docker, Rabbit MQ, PostgreSQL), so I don't know if that is something they will be able to do to any extent.  My guess is the eventual need for an Ops Engineer is part of that solution.

The quote from Caspian begins "It's the server technology that will allow us to support millions of entities in the world."  But it isn't the only technology that can make that happen.  They are turning to other partners to take advantage of their products so they still "don't have to spend time developing the things that generally take the most time when building an MMO." 

That's not to say this isn't a hiccup, or that such a change doesn't come with extra work in integrating new systems from several different publishers.  But the word from the studio is they have a solution already implemented.  The work is done.  I'm sure they all poured a bunch of extra hours into making it work and sticking to their timeline. 

In the next three months players be working with the Alpha client.  That's right on time.  By some reckonings, it's a little ahead.  I'm optimistic, yes.  And by this point I'm giving you more than facts.  But I've got an informed opinion on this subject.  Take that for what you think it's worth.

EDIT: corrected spelling of "PostgreSQL"
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Hmm, I was expecting the usual for CoE (IE, delays).  Wasn't expecting them to be scrapping the very "fabric" of their game in exchange for multiple third party systems which is a lot less efficient, all for "financial reasons".

I figured it'd take a bit longer than that to start coming apart at the seams.
    YashaXShaigh
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    This was a huge risk from the start. People screamed about how SpatialOS was what would enable them to create such revolutionary features in such a short time at such a low cost.

This is a massive kick in the nuts as far as I’m concerned. Edit to add this description of SpatialOS as "the fabric that our game is built on" from the Kickstarter site.

This partnership has been in the works for a while now and answers the fundamental question people have been asking "How are you going to build a world this large, with a hundred thousands players, and all these never-before-seen features?!" The answer is SpatialOS. SpatialOS will act as the fabric that our game is built on. It's the server technology that will allow us to support millions of entities in the world. Built first and foremost as a scalable, distributed operating system for games, SpatialOS means we don't have to spend time developing the things that generally take the most time when building a new MMO. We don't have to worry about networking on the server, load balancing all the entities in the world, replication of entities across multiple server nodes, cross-process communication, collision detection of millions of entities, etc. In short, we don't have to worry about developing any of the technology that makes an MMO, an MMO.
    totally agree! spatialOS is what grabbed my attention to begin with about this game and many other games that i follow. this is just another reason along with a growing list for people who wanted to see if they can deliver that will make people view it even more questionable than they already do.

i bet i'm totally gonna become a harbinger for this post lol
    Slapshot1188
    pantaro said:
    This was a huge risk from the start. People screamed about how SpatialOS was what would enable them to create such revolutionary features in such a short time at such a low cost.

This is a massive kick in the nuts as far as I’m concerned. Edit to add this description of SpatialOS as "the fabric that our game is built on" from the Kickstarter site.

This partnership has been in the works for a while now and answers the fundamental question people have been asking "How are you going to build a world this large, with a hundred thousands players, and all these never-before-seen features?!" The answer is SpatialOS. SpatialOS will act as the fabric that our game is built on. It's the server technology that will allow us to support millions of entities in the world. Built first and foremost as a scalable, distributed operating system for games, SpatialOS means we don't have to spend time developing the things that generally take the most time when building a new MMO. We don't have to worry about networking on the server, load balancing all the entities in the world, replication of entities across multiple server nodes, cross-process communication, collision detection of millions of entities, etc. In short, we don't have to worry about developing any of the technology that makes an MMO, an MMO.
    totally agree! spatialOS is what grabbed my attention to begin with about this game and many other games that i follow. this is just another reason along with a growing list for people who wanted to see if they can deliver that will make people view it even more questionable than they already do.

i bet i'm totally gonna become a harbinger for this post lol
    Selling tokens for a chance to become a Harbinger and get a free limited Pay 2 Build cloak.  PST
    pantaroYashaX

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378

My guess is they are having financial trouble. Hence the term "financial" reasons as them stopping use of SpatialOS.

Also

In a year they replicated SpatialOS? Or did the whole Soulbound replicate SpatialOS...spend all the time and money making it...when...they could have just used SpatialOS for pretty much same thing?

Again, seems to be financial issues for Soulbound. Biggest clue is dropping SpatialOS for "financial reasons". It doesn't say they dropped it because they made something better or SpatialOS wasn't working for them or anything of the sort. It was purely because they didn't have money to use it.

Responsible budgeting doesn't equate to financial trouble, normally it is a preventative solution to avoiding such.
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188BombastusYashaXGdemami
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    Bombastus said:
    The backend for the voxel and Unreal clients is identical. They have already worked out synchronizing live data between UE4 and the voxel client. The voxel client allows them to start testing game features without having to wait for the assets for the UE4 client.

The major reason for going with SpatialOS was because it was an all-in-one solution. It is not the only solution, and the devs have spent the better part of this year implementing those alternate solutions. This won't affect their timeline at all because the transition is already made.
    As if working on making a whole voxel based game is so easy that it won't slow development in other areas. The level of delusion associated with this "game" is mind boggling.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Bombastus said:

It's like over-hyping something and then dropping that very thing you over-hyped means that the original something is erased from history and our consciousness because...

Slapshot1188YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    I agree with having mmorpg.com reach out to Spatial. Might not get anything out of them, but it would be good to have a better understanding of what took place.
    [Deleted User]
    edited January 2018
    YashaX said:
    Bombastus said:
    The backend for the voxel and Unreal clients is identical. They have already worked out synchronizing live data between UE4 and the voxel client. The voxel client allows them to start testing game features without having to wait for the assets for the UE4 client.

The major reason for going with SpatialOS was because it was an all-in-one solution. It is not the only solution, and the devs have spent the better part of this year implementing those alternate solutions. This won't affect their timeline at all because the transition is already made.
    As if working on making a whole voxel based game is so easy that it won't slow development in other areas. The level of delusion associated with this "game" is mind boggling.
    I would agree with you if VoxElyria was a completely different client and the work they were doing had to be done twice within both platforms. But that is not the case as demonstrated in Tripnull's Video within the link I provided. The reasoning for VoxElyria is so the mechanics can be tested before/during the graphics and animation development. The process is intended to enable SBS with the ability to kill two birds with one stone so to speak.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/22013/The-Countdown-to-VoxElyria-Begins

Rather than trying to explain the process, which is already demonstrated in the above thread, I will just quote from the thread itself. 

The team has been implementing features into the VoxElyria client for the purpose of validating mechanics, server stability, design, and so forth. And because we're utilizing the Soulborn Engine, the changes we make in VoxElyria will be visible in Chronicles of Elyria's Unreal client as well!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I'm not one to say I told you so,....

F-that, I definitely going to say it, just as I did during the kickstarter when I first read that mantra being sprouted.

I suspect Spatial IOS is pulling back on the MMORPG market as their first client has been struggling for many months to stabilize and they clearly lay some of the blame on Spatial.

That $500M in investment capital Spatial got? Didn't come from the game industry, but rather from others who see potential in their cloud solution for other industries.

Don't believe for a minute this underfunded indie team of limited talent has figured out or is even close to competing whatever they hope to do to replace it.

Making MMORPGs is hard folks, ask Richard, Brad, Mark or Chris and they'll tell you all about it.

;)
    EponyxDamorSlapshot1188KumaponGeezerGamerShaighanemoDakeru[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

F-that, I definitely going to say it, just as I did during the kickstarter when I first read that mantra being sprouted.

I suspect Spatial IOS is pulling back on the MMORPG market as their first client has been struggling for many months to stabilize and they clearly lay some of the blame on Spatial.

That $500M in investment capital Spatial got? Didn't come from the game industry, but rather from others who see potential in their cloud solution for other industries.

Don't believe for a minute this underfunded indie team of limited talent has figured out or is even close to competing whatever they hope to do to replace it.

Making MMORPGs is hard folks, ask Richard, Brad, Mark or Chris and they'll tell you all about it.

;)
    Your post is mostly based on assumptions and very little fact. Arguments are better based on fact. Just sayin. 
    EponyxDamor
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Your post is mostly based on assumptions and very little fact. Arguments are better based on fact. Just sayin. 
    If and when the game releases and it's a smashing success we can talk about facts. Meanwhile all we have is conjecture and the gospel according to JW.
    EponyxDamor
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2018
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    If and when the game releases and it's a smashing success we can talk about facts. Meanwhile all we have is conjecture and the gospel according to JW.
    Likewise. If or when the game fails then all the naysayers get to say "I told you so". But until then you could at least try to base your conjectures on something real, rather then assumptions, especially if you are trying to convince folks -How bad this project is-.
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Likewise. If and when the game fails then all the naysayers get to say "I told you so". But until then you could at least try to base your conjectures on something real, rather then assumptions, especially if you are trying to show folks -How bad this project is-.
    Except SpatialOS was hailed as the second coming for MMO creation by SBS, and it *did* fail to produce the results SBS said it would (or they could no longer afford it). Many people said SpatialOS wouldn't be the solution SBS thought it would be --  turns out they were correct.

Come to find out, MMOs are a bit more difficult and way more expensive to develop than people realize. This game already reminds me of Greedmonger in so many ways.
    Slapshot1188Gdemami
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Likewise. If and when the game fails then all the naysayers get to say "I told you so". But until then you could at least try to base your conjectures on something real, rather then assumptions, especially if you are trying to show folks -How bad this project is-.
    How is all the hype about SpatialOS being one of, if not THE key reason they would be able to produce such a feature rich game so cheaply in record time and then ditching it just a couple of years later not a fact?

Both of those things happened.

The spin is all about whether this matters or doesn't matter and in order to hold the JW-friendly opinion that it doesn't matter you need to forget about all those times when he said it mattered a lot or at least believe that he was being overly enthusiastic then but not now.
    Slapshot1188EponyxDamorPingu2012YashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited January 2018
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    How is all the hype about SpatialOS being one of, if not THE key reason they would be able to produce such a feature rich game so cheaply in record time and then ditching it just a couple of years later not a fact?

Both of those things happened.

The spin is all about whether this matters or doesn't matter and in order to hold the JW-friendly opinion that it doesn't matter you need to forget about all those times when he said it mattered a lot or at least believe that he was being overly enthusiastic then but not now.
    Thats Harbinger talk!

Just because a company:
    • Underestimated the development time by a few years
    • Hasn't been able to sign a deal with a Publisher although actively searching since April 2017
    • Found out that the cost of the SpatialOS system was too high (which was the fabric on which the game was built on and was the reason they said they could "build a world this large, with a hundred thousands players, and all these never-before-seen features") 
    ...is no reason to be so negative!  ALL IS WELL!!!
    https://youtu.be/zDAmPIq29ro

Then again... maybe today is opposite day.
    pantaroYashaXkruler

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Dakeru said:
    Ungood said:
    As an Artist, I know I have fallen into the trap of looking at an at program and thinking that it was going to be the answer I was looking for, that is would solve all the weaknesses that the program I was currently using seemed to have, to only discover after using the program that it was not the ultimate solution as I first thought, and ended up going back to some of my older programs to get things done.

Sometimes, we can walk into something with starry eyes, only to have reality slap us down a bit, and maybe that is what happened here.

I think we have all been at this place at one time in our lives, especially as gamers, be it buying that have all, end all gaming mouse only for it to piss us off in a week, or that perfect computer chair that ends up making our ass chap and we go back to siting on the sofa.

Life happens.. its' not the end of the world.. sorta speak.
    Did you just make a comparison of a company who clearly said multiple times that the impossible task they want to achieve will be possible because of one special program to a gamer buying a computer chair and his butt not liking it?

I'm getting an idea about who you might be.
    I have no idea what they were trying to do with this program, or if they said that what they hope to accomplish was impossible without this program. If that is the case, then either they were wrong about something, if that something was what SpatialOS can do, the impossibility of the task before them, or maybe they will just do without whatever it is they felt they needed this program for. Who knows. 

My analogy, is not in comparison to the product in question, IE: I was not trying to drawn analogy between SpatialOS and a task chair. 

My analogy was about illusions people have when they first get something thinking it will be the end all of their problems, and having that not be the case.

If you really can't grasp that, then truth be told, I don't care what you think about me.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2018
    Ungood said:

My analogy was about illusions people have when they first get something thinking it will be the end all of their problems, and having that not be the case.
    So basically Caspien was foolish when he thought spatial OS was the end all to CoE's problems, you mean, right?

(and whether or not he was doesn't help their current situation now either, of course)
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    edited January 2018
    Tiamat64 said:
    Ungood said:

So basically Caspien was foolish when he thought spatial OS was the end all to CoE's problems, you mean, right?

(and whether or not he was doesn't help their current situation now either, of course)
    I don't think I would use the term foolish.. I used the term Starry Eyed, I think that is more apt in this situation. He pinned a lot of hopes on this program doing something amazing he wanted done, and after working with it, discovered, it can't do it.

Ok..so.. now what.

A witch hunt is not going to help anything here, so, now the real question is, is what he has available able to do what he wants, or will this be one of those "it was a nice idea, but not gonna happen" and we have to ask ourselves, is this a deal breaker for us.

if it is.. then it is.. sorry and maybe next game will be the game for you.

For me.. My character staying logged in and controlled by an AI, was not a sale point for me (come to think about it, I didn't even know about this little feature till now, after reading some other forum posts talking about it, as it's not listed on their web site and I don't follow this game enough to read all the news updates) and now that I do.. I can honesty say.. I am not sure if I even want it, given back when I played EQ, if we DC'ed, the AI would take over for us, if we were in combat, it would complete the fight for us.. which often ended with my character dead, brutalized, and not were I lost connection.

To each their own. 

Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Except SpatialOS was hailed as the second coming for MMO creation by SBS, and it *did* fail to produce the results SBS said it would (or they could no longer afford it). Many people said SpatialOS wouldn't be the solution SBS thought it would be --  turns out they were correct.

Come to find out, MMOs are a bit more difficult and way more expensive to develop than people realize. This game already reminds me of Greedmonger in so many ways.
    There are many of us that thought SpatialOS was going to help SBS to bring forth many of the features promised too. I admit that I am one of them and a bit disappointed by this decision, but before passing judgment I will wait to see what the future holds. We (as in the general public) are not in the office working alongside the team and have no idea all the facts surrounding their decision. 

SpatialOS didn't fail that we know of nor did SBS ever say they couldn't afford it from what I read in the SoE update. Contrary they said that the -cost of using SpatialOS was too high-. There is a difference you know. As even you have stated the cost of creating MMOs are high, we all know that, so why make substantial purchases if you don't need too and after weighing the odds you decide to use other less expensive means is, in my opinion, good budgeting?

Will this choice change the project immensely? Who knows at this time, we will just have to wait to see. I imagine that SBS definitely has a better idea then the public does though, don't you?
    edited January 2018
    @Slapshot.. Interesting, and here I thought you were going to be ignoring me again.. *Looks disappointed*

You are predictable though. :)