Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alleged Perpetrator of Call of Duty WWII 'Swatting' Death Indicted for Involuntary Manslaughter - M

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So what about the cop who did not follow orders and shot the guy?Like that cop pulled his gun and killed a guy for NO REASON,he should be in jail more so than the guy who faked the call.

The last poster "emergency situations"there was NO Emergency and it was apparently NOT assessed on the scene either,this cop obviously assessed it BEFORE he knew anything and had already drawn a conclusion before he got there that he would pull his gun in rogue fashion.

Also obvious is that no,not every cop who shoots someone is guilty or a bad cop,in this case,100% he is a bad cop,i would not want a cop in my neighborhood that pulls his gun that easily.I know cops personally,i have 3 family members who are cops,my grandfather was the chief of police,i also played hockey with them for 5 years and drank at the bar with them afterwards.What i saw,learned is that cops are not special ,there are some really good people and some really bad apples and hiring is NOT done with any realistic criteria and most often just family and friends get hired.
    If i was to pull out a number based on the cops i know/knew,i would say about 10-15% should no way in hell ever be allowed to carry a gun,extremely violent people who would beat you to a pulp just for looking at them wrong.So there is obviously terrible systems in place in monitoring cops and their behavior and the unions that stand behind them are basically above the law.
    pantaroViper482postlarvalbartoni33CelciusPhloomKooturLiljna[Deleted User]augustgraceand 1 other.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    edited January 2018

Renoaku said:

I don't agree with Swatting, but still he isn't the one who did the murder, he did a crime absolutely, but as we all know police who shoot innocent people get away with pretty much everything and are not held accountable simply because of the fact they are the LAW, and because of Training, even though it was clearly a hoax they could have prevented the shooting in the first place I mean Swat Team has AR-15's with scopes they could have known if they were armed for sure.

Also, clearly this kid was dumb because he clearly used his home phone, with spoofing APPS to make a prank call, this is something you would never do, and it is absolutely possible to SWAT people while remaining 100% untraceable, and Anonymous given the fact anyone can buy disposable phones which are only used one time, and much better methods to actually make it untraceable which is why this kid was indeed stupid.

3 Years may not seem like a long time to most, but 3 years in jail is a long time to those who are actually in jail/prison for years.

Either way Law Enforcement needs to do a better job at screening these calls because even I knew just by listening to the 9/11 call that this was a hoax, but then I've been around the whole internet trolling/griefing thing for years to recognize these kinds of calls very easily.

I can't believe it took this much text to show how stupid you are. You really only needed the first sentence....which looks like a paragraph btw.
    postlarvalbartoni33CelciusPhloomKooturPingu2012truewarlordheatheredhillsmmrvViannel
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Always some cop hating morons to second guess people who never know if they are coming home from work. There are half a million cops in the U.S., there are about 1000 people killed by cops every year. Do the math. If cops were a bunch of blood thirsty killers I think we would see more killed. Most cops go their whole career without ever having to fire their weapon. FACT.
    ScorchienpostlarvalHorusraConstantineMerusElirionLothCelciusPingu2012[Deleted User]mmrvViannel
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623
    edited January 2018
    If you have half a brain (not sure this guy does however) you would know what that you are doing is dropping what is essentially a local military force onto and likely into someones home. Tensions are high and the chances of someone innocent getting hurt/killed are extremely high. While I don't dismiss the actions of the police officer that pulled the trigger I do have to try and place myself in his/her shoes. That is a tough job and I am fairly confident that they train a lot - but until you are in the situation and you have experience in their job, it is hard for me to judge them.

As I see it the suspect decided to play Russian roulette on another random person...which is first degree murder if the weapon discharges and kills the victim and attempted murder otherwise.

I hope Mr. Barriss gets the maximum sentence that can be given under the laws of Kansas. And once he gets out of prison he might want to keep an eye over his shoulder for the rest of his life as there are two children and a widow that just might have their own view on justice.

With 400+ "swatting" calls happening per year I hope the laws are updated to make this a much more serious offense...even if no one is hurt.
    halfmysticForgrimmJemAs666goozmaniabartoni33PhloomKooturPingu2012truewarlord[Deleted User]and 2 others.

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Wasn't this dbag on probation for reporting false bomb threats? If he was he, shouldn’t he also serve time in Cali as well?
    PhloomKooturwingood
  • halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 532
    edited January 2018
    This guy deserves the full penalty of the murder, this slap on the wrist thing is just BS. Not nearly enough time for such a disgusting human being.
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Renoaku said:
    I don't agree with Swatting, but still he isn't the one who did the murder, he did a crime absolutely, but as we all know police who shoot innocent people get away with pretty much everything and are not held accountable simply because of the fact they are the LAW, and because of Training, even though it was clearly a hoax they could have prevented the shooting in the first place I mean Swat Team has AR-15's with scopes they could have known if they were armed for sure.

Also, clearly this kid was dumb because he clearly used his home phone, with spoofing APPS to make a prank call, this is something you would never do, and it is absolutely possible to SWAT people while remaining 100% untraceable, and Anonymous given the fact anyone can buy disposable phones which are only used one time, and much better methods to actually make it untraceable which is why this kid was indeed stupid.

3 Years may not seem like a long time to most, but 3 years in jail is a long time to those who are actually in jail/prison for years.

Either way Law Enforcement needs to do a better job at screening these calls because even I knew just by listening to the 9/11 call that this was a hoax, but then I've been around the whole internet trolling/griefing thing for years to recognize these kinds of calls very easily.
    If my 4 year old calls 911 and says there is a robber in the house they will still come. . when I answer the door and say he was kidding they will still come inside. 

Imagine the response if they didn't respond to the call and it was real.  it will never happen.  They will, and have to, respond.  They guy was told not to move and reached toward his wasteband.  There have been MANY discussions about this and if you think of the reaction time (including that of the victim who was probably freaked out and pulling his pants up a little) the police are often firing their guns after the hand comes back up with nothing just because of human delay in reaction.  The "training" you talk about lets them know that if they don't respond immediately, due to the same reaction time that they are likely to be the one that is dead.  When police are pointing their guns at you and yelling. . well. . I can't imagine I would be thinking right.  Poor guy.

How can someone think reporting a violent crime and intentions of more violence that will result in a SWAT team can't end badly. . that is a sad statement.   The only good to come from this case is that maybe people will think twice about doing it and they can nail the next guy because he, at least, should have known.
    heatheredhills

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    edited January 2018
    Renoaku said:

Forgrimm said:

His possible sentence should be higher since he's a repeat offender who has already served jail time for bomb threats.

But these kind of pranks are allowed and such pranks that could result in harm of a person falling, running into another, or injury even death in some of them, and they are allowed on YouTube for that matter?
    If someone died he would be charged.  What made the 911 call illegal is that it was a fake call to 911, a crime.    Someone was injured because he broke the law. . it is a different charge.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Capital punishment would have been more fair in this particular case. This guy won't come back out "better" either, that's just how our prison system works these days.
    PhloomKootur
  • XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927

Viper482 said:

Always some cop hating morons to second guess people who never know if they are coming home from work. There are half a million cops in the U.S., there are about 1000 people killed by cops every year. Do the math. If cops were a bunch of blood thirsty killers I think we would see more killed. Most cops go their whole career without ever having to fire their weapon. FACT.

Interesting fact, but I'm curious if the statistic(I assume there is one) is based on cops that engage in situation like this one(SWAT, drug busts etc...) or it also count traffic police and other cops that 99% of the time wouldn't have a reason to pull a gun...
    Don't get me wrong I'm not arguing if it's true or not, just curious if the statistic is based on the whole police force or on those that are in positions where they are forced to use their guns daily?

For example if in soccer if there was a statistic that showed what % of attackers(or whatever they are called not a soccer fan) score goals I assume it would be 100% or very close, but if it covered all the players I assume the % would be a lot lower, however most other positions would rarely be in a position to score a goal, so adding them in the statistic seems a bit...misleading.
    PhloomPingu2012
  • AdminAdmin Administrator RarePosts: 5,623

Aethaeryn said:

Renoaku said:

If my 4 year old calls 911 and says there is a robber in the house they will still come. . when I answer the door and say he was kidding they will still come inside. 

Imagine the response if they didn't respond to the call and it was real.  it will never happen.  They will, and have to, respond.  They guy was told not to move and reached toward his wasteband.  There have been MANY discussions about this and if you think of the reaction time (including that of the victim who was probably freaked out and pulling his pants up a little) the police are often firing their guns after the hand comes back up with nothing just because of human delay in reaction.  The "training" you talk about lets them know that if they don't respond immediately, due to the same reaction time that they are likely to be the one that is dead.  When police are pointing their guns at you and yelling. . well. . I can't imagine I would be thinking right.  Poor guy.

How can someone think reporting a violent crime and intentions of more violence that will result in a SWAT team can't end badly. . that is a sad statement.   The only good to come from this case is that maybe people will think twice about doing it and they can nail the next guy because he, at least, should have known.

I agree. Poor guy. Again - adrenaline, heat of the moment, whatever you want to call it. There was a guy at the door freaked out and many officers also expecting the worst case scenario given the nature of the call - and quite likely from their many years of experience. We can tell people that when the SWAT team arrives at your house you need to just open the door and lie down on the ground with your hands around your back but when it actually happens to you all bets are off.

Personally I cannot help but look at what is new here and who is the cause of the new kind of situation. You have some total and complete d-bag that somehow thinks it is funny and/or justified to create a situation where a SWAT team storms an innocent persons home. I really think the cross-hairs should be on the caller and even the person on the other end that decided to give another persons address to avoid attack.

From this terrible and senseless event I hope people never give out their address or anyone else's for that matter - and that if you know you are a 100% upstanding citizen and the police storm your house that you take the most non-threatening manner possible.
    PhloomForgrimm

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

The dead know only one thing: it is better to be alive.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    The saddest part in this is that it sounds like the guy was still on the phone with 911 when the fatal incident occurred. 

So along the way the chain of communication failed... 

And that more than anything caused a death. After all it is hard to talk on the phone and open the door at the same time. 

Not that it matters anymore, no anger or misplaced sense self-righteousness will bring a dead man back to life. If you really want change, contact your congress people and lobby for this to be given more attention. 

Because that is where the change happen. 

This have been a good conversation

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665

Not even close to a case. THey have one charge of false 911 call. After that charge he is cleared of anything the police did on their own. Any good attorney will defeat the charges.

The person in question has no ability to control the actions of anyone accept himself which he place the 911. This is why the are trying a invulatary charge becasuse they know the real crime was committed by the officers.

The key phrase that will get detroyed " which lead" , why did it lead ? What was the circumstances of the shooting ? this kid had absolutely no control of that situation , at all.

Understanding of the law = 0

They have charged with involuntary because due to his reckless act, a person is dead. Period. Had he not called, that person would be alive. Period. Its as black and white as that.
    ElirionLothpostlarvalCelciusPhloom
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

Viper482 said:

Don't waste your facts on people like that. If said facts don't jive with their internal narrative and victim mentality, they're just dismissed out of hand. To them, cops are an evil, oppressive force comprised of thoughtless machines which get off on killing people. They don't have families to support, and they don't have the right to protect themselves, other officers, or any civilians in the area.

The real killer is the sack of shit who made that call, and the fact that the law only provides for a maximum penalty of three years is disgusting. You can get more than that just for selling marijuana, and the last time I checked that doesn't (deliberately) risk getting people killed. I sincerely hope that this whole debacle will cause lawmakers to finally put some severe penalties in place to punish those who think it's funny to 'SWAT' people.
    ElirionLothPhloomKootur

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Police need to train better for millenials, millenials have some deep problems that need a completely differnt tactic of engagement
    Maybe millenials need to be trained they are not special and need to follow orders from police and complain about it later in court not on the streets.
    ElirionLothpostlarvalPhloomKooturmmrv
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    He could be looking at more than a decade behind bars because of his criminal history:

In Kansas, involuntary manslaughter carries a sentence of 31 to 136 months, depending on a defendant's criminal history, Bennett said.

PhloomPingu2012
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    The guy looks like a real piece of work as well.
    He's gonna be popular in prison with such a pretty mouth.
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352

ianicus said:

Not even close to a case. THey have one charge of false 911 call. After that charge he is cleared of anything the police did on their own. Any good attorney will defeat the charges.

The person in question has no ability to control the actions of anyone accept himself which he place the 911. This is why the are trying a invulatary charge becasuse they know the real crime was committed by the officers.

The key phrase that will get detroyed " which lead" , why did it lead ? What was the circumstances of the shooting ? this kid had absolutely no control of that situation , at all.

They have charged with involuntary because due to his reckless act, a person is dead. Period. Had he not called, that person would be alive. Period. Its as black and white as that.

how are police action the responsibilty of caller ?

In the us you can be charged with murder if someone dies while you committed a felony.
    Phloom

ianicus said:

If you don't understand the basic premise as explained already in this thread as to why the charge is legitimate, nothing I can say will enlighten you...
    ElirionLothPhloomPingu2012KooturGlacianNex
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby

Police need to train better for millenials, millenials have some deep problems that need a completely differnt tactic of engagement

This so far is the front runner for "dumbest sh1t I heard all year!" for 2018, we're off to a good start!
    Kootur
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Skinny little bitch better start working out.  He's about to learn the true definition of doing time "on the inside."
    Kootur
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    so many parts to this story. Emotion is not law. 100% sure the involuntary manslaughter will be dropped and new charage of like reckless endangerment will be applied, because that is all they have. On the caller. The kid who put up the fake address will also be liable , and the officer who fired the shot will be charged with manslaughter.
    Good thing you're not responsible for applying and enforcing the law.
    postlarvalKootur
  • ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308

ianicus said:

Because he started a chain of events that led to the death of a person. If no call was made, that man would be alive. It was a reckless act that led through an unbroken chain of events to the death of someone. The SWAT team member may also be charged if he is found to jave been in the wrong. It is not either/or.

You don't have to directly kill someone to be charged with murder. One example. If you are robbing a bank with another person and that other person shoots and kills someone during the commission of the crime, you can also be charged with murder.
    Kootur
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Whatttt?  Police officers are human beings, and sometimes make mistakes?  Inconceivable!  If the actions of law enforcement even were a mistake in this case, with the report that the victim reached for his waist area.  I don't understand why so many people are anti-police.  I'd like to see you carry on your daily lives without them around to protect you and enforce the law.  I'm all for as much training as possible, but no matter how much training you give someone, they're not going to be infallible.
    ElirionLothKootur
  • saintriku92saintriku92 Member UncommonPosts: 87
    i hope its longer than 3 years.