Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Soulbound Drops SpatialOS in Favor of Internal Solutions - Chronicles of Elyria News

Comments

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    As alluded to in the State of Eylria article, I found the SpatialOS patch notes from Oct 3, 2017, where they discontinued the JavaScript SDK (https://docs.improbable.io/reference/12.0/releases/release-notes)

JavaScript SDK

• The Experimental JavaScript SDK is now deprecated. As part of its “experimental” status we have done a thorough evaluation of the Javascript SDK through its usage, features and maintenance cost. As a result the decision was taken to halt its development. Please contact us if you have any queries.

1) Seems to have been a bad decision on SBS to have relied on an "experimental" branch of the platform in the first place.
    2) Why would SpatialOS discontinue support for this branch, when they had such a big partner as CoE relying on it? After all, they visited each other last February (https://forums.improbable.io/t/blog-chronicles-of-elyria-by-soulbound-studios/1527)

Has MMORPG.com reached out to SpatialOS for a comment? I wonder if there's any more to the story.

[Deleted User]JamesGoblin
    --------------------------------------------
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Remember when EQ:N ditched Storyboards? Or when Repop ditched Hero?
    How'd that work out?

To me, this is a HUGE red flag.
    StoryBricks*
    [Deleted User]GeezerGamer
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    My guess is they are having financial trouble. Hence the term "financial" reasons as them stopping use of SpatialOS.

Also

In a year they replicated SpatialOS? Or did the whole Soulbound replicate SpatialOS...spend all the time and money making it...when...they could have just used SpatialOS for pretty much same thing?

Again, seems to be financial issues for Soulbound. Biggest clue is dropping SpatialOS for "financial reasons". It doesn't say they dropped it because they made something better or SpatialOS wasn't working for them or anything of the sort. It was purely because they didn't have money to use it.
    Kyleran

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2018
    Dakeru said:
    Bombastus said:

Uh, yeah...

Wasn't SpatialOS going to be the "magic bullet" that would enable the game to manage the 100K characters that will be permanently active on the server, by enabling dynamic load-distribution across the cloud ?

I guess Soulbound will just quickly develop their own version of SpatialOS, I mean, how difficult can it really be, amirite ? :wink:

They already have implemented their solution. We are just hearing about it now.
    Yeah the whole time they said spatialos is what makes the impossible possible.

Now you claim they came up with a housemade alternative that works better and they quickly created it in between development - EZ
    Since SpatialOS just got a half billion dollar investment...

To believe this you would have to believe that this development team (with nerf swords) was able to replace all that in just a few months with just a few people...

If you believe that...maybe he should put the game on hold and market his homemade version of SpatialOS instead.

Again-  Reality seems to be a foreign concept when you are Roleplaying a Development team.

This is going to be an RPG you have to close your eyes in order to play

YashaX
  • mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited January 2018

As someone who isn't familiar with game development, how does testing a voxel client help develop an unreal engine game? Wouldn't you need to spend time ironing out issues in a voxel client to allow features to work in ways that might not necessarily need the same considerations in an unreal engine game? Why not do testing in the same client/engine you actually intend people to play in, basically?

To answer your question EponyzDamor VoxElyria and the unreal engine are connected. VoxElyria is created so Alpha 1 players can test the backend mechanics sooner. As others have stated above

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/22013/The-Countdown-to-VoxElyria-Begins
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Lest we forget... THIS was how Caspien described SpatialOS and what it enabled them to do:

This partnership has been in the works for a while now and answers the fundamental question people have been asking "How are you going to build a world this large, with a hundred thousands players, and all these never-before-seen features?!" The answer is SpatialOS. 

SpatialOS will act as the fabric that our game is built on. It's the server technology that will allow us to support millions of entities in the world. Built first and foremost as a scalable, distributed operating system for games, SpatialOS means we don't have to spend time developing the things that generally take the most time when building a new MMO. 

We don't have to worry about networking on the server, load balancing all the entities in the world, replication of entities across multiple server nodes, cross-process communication, collision detection of millions of entities, etc. In short, we don't have to worry about developing any of the technology that makes an MMO, an MMO.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/soulboundstudios/chronicles-of-elyria-epic-story-mmorpg-with-aging/posts/1592188

JamesGoblinGaladournDakeruWellspringAsm0deusdadazar

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Reading between the lines because devs never tell you the whole story or the whole truth.....We need to save money so cut out some overhead.Perhaps even stole some code and ideas from the software,who really knows.I love when it is not an idea we need for our game but originally it was ,,lol.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Don't worry the fabric that the game is built on, not a big deal.

lol
    Slapshot1188YashaX[Deleted User]Pingu2012

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Dakeru said:
    Bombastus said:

Uh, yeah...

Wasn't SpatialOS going to be the "magic bullet" that would enable the game to manage the 100K characters that will be permanently active on the server, by enabling dynamic load-distribution across the cloud ?

I guess Soulbound will just quickly develop their own version of SpatialOS, I mean, how difficult can it really be, amirite ? :wink:

Now you claim they came up with a housemade alternative that works better and they quickly created it in between development - EZ

To believe this you would have to believe that this development team (with nerf swords) was able to replace all that in just a few months with just a few people...

If you believe that...maybe he should put the game on hold and market his homemade version of SpatialOS instead.

Again-  Reality seems to be a foreign concept when you are Roleplaying a Development team.

Getting video not available...

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    Dakeru said:
    Bombastus said:

Uh, yeah...

Getting video not available...
    It's the Imagination Theme Song from Epcot.

Nilden
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    i'm betting the "hundreds of thousands" of players will soon be replaced by "thousands" and will actually launch (if ever) with "hundreds"...
    SpottyGekko
    Galadourn said:
    How'd that work out?

StoryBricks*
    THank you

Torval said:
    Galadourn said:
    How'd that work out?

StoryBricks*
    THank you

Thank you* :lol: :lol:
    I see what you did there.
    [Deleted User]
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Galadourn said:
    i'm betting the "hundreds of thousands" of players will soon be replaced by "thousands" and will actually launch (if ever) with "hundreds"...
    Don't worry, Jeromy Walsh will just write a 20-page "update" to explain why 100's was always really the number they intended to use. People just misunderstand him all the time...
    GaladournYashaX
  • BombastusBombastus Member UncommonPosts: 9
    SbS isn't creating a solution out of nowhere. They are changing to a combination of several third party middleware providers instead of relying on just one. This has been a progressive decision that included a number of factors (cost being one of them). It doesn't drastically change the amount of work they have to do. They arent making anything. They will need to hire an ops engineer down the road, which they had not planned on doing because of their partnership with Improbable. No big deal there.
    mystichazeYashaXPingu2012[Deleted User]
    edited January 2018
    SbS isn't creating a solution out of nowhere. They are changing to a combination of several third party middleware providers instead of relying on just one. This has been a progressive decision that included a number of factors (cost being one of them). It doesn't drastically change the amount of work they have to do. They arent making anything. They will need to hire an ops engineer down the road, which they had not planned on doing because of their partnership with Improbable. No big deal there.
    Lol.  Caspien himself defined SpatialOS as “the fabric that our game is built on” 

You try and spin it as No big deal...  too funny to even answer.  

By the way welcome to MMORPG.COM  ;)  Just promise me that you aren’t another one of those CoE Ambassadors sent here to shut down Harbingers 
    YashaXKyleran[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Bombastus said:
    Lol.  Caspien himself defined SpatialOS as “the fabric that our game is built on” 

By the way welcome to MMORPG.COM  ;)
    When the stitching hasn't started, then it's easy to swap out bolts of fabric
    YashaXanemo
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Bombastus said:
    SbS isn't creating a solution out of nowhere. They are changing to a combination of several third party middleware providers instead of relying on just one. ...
    Anyone with many years of IT experience will tell you that integrating a third-party application to supplement your project can be quite tricky.

Using several third-party apps will complicate integration a great deal more.

I expect next year's "state-of-the-game" will announce another additional delay of the already delayed launch date.
    YashaX[Deleted User]

By the way welcome to MMORPG.COM  ;)  Just promise me that you aren’t another one of those CoE Ambassadors sent here to shut down Harbingers 

You know, I was halfway through a post outing myself as an Ambassador when I caught your edit. No matter. I don't mind harbingers. To be honest, my initial reaction was similar to yours. Thankfully, the details presented in the blog post above paint a very clear picture of the events. And, as an Ambassador, I closely follow all the public information available about CoE. I am not here to shut down the harbingers, but rather to be a harbinger myself: I bring you facts. If anyone is spinning information, it isn't me.
    [Deleted User]mystichazeYashaX[Deleted User]Azrael_Antaryon
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    As an Artist, I know I have fallen into the trap of looking at an at program and thinking that it was going to be the answer I was looking for, that is would solve all the weaknesses that the program I was currently using seemed to have, to only discover after using the program that it was not the ultimate solution as I first thought, and ended up going back to some of my older programs to get things done.

Sometimes, we can walk into something with starry eyes, only to have reality slap us down a bit, and maybe that is what happened here.

I think we have all been at this place at one time in our lives, especially as gamers, be it buying that have all, end all gaming mouse only for it to piss us off in a week, or that perfect computer chair that ends up making our ass chap and we go back to siting on the sofa.

Life happens.. its' not the end of the world.. sorta speak.
    Bombastusmystichaze
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    edited January 2018
    Bombastus said:

If anyone is spinning information, it isn't me.

spin
    verb
    1. turn or cause to turn or whirl around quickly.
      "the girl spun around in alarm"
      synonyms:revolve, rotate, turn, go round, whirl, gyrate, circle More
      "the bike wheels are spinning"
      whirl, wheel, twirl, turn, swing, twist, swivel, pirouette, pivot
      "she spun around to face him"
      • (of a person's head) give a sensation of dizziness.
        "the figures were enough to make her head spin"
        synonyms:reel, whirl, go around, swim
        "her head was spinning"
      • Cricket
        impart a revolving motion to (a ball) when bowling.
      • (of a ball) move through the air with a revolving motion.
      • give (a news story or other information) a particular interpretation, especially a favorable one.
      • shape (sheet metal) by pressure applied during rotation on a lathe.
        "spun metal components"

Bombastus said:

They arent making anything. They will need to hire an ops engineer down the road, which they had not planned on doing because of their partnership with Improbable. No big deal there. 

Not saying I disagree with you, but spin is an interpretation. You presented just that, as is everyone else here.

Slapshot1188Pingu2012
    edited January 2018
    Bombastus said:

spin
    verb
        "her head was spinning"
      • Cricket
      • give (a news story or other information) a particular interpretation, especially a favorable one.
        "spun metal components"

Bombastus said:

They arent making anything. They will need to hire an ops engineer down the road, which they had not planned on doing because of their partnership with Improbable. No big deal there. 

I was going to point that out but I’ve learned my lesson about trying to reason with the Ivory Tower. As Caspien himself said a year ago... he was “sharing the gospel of CoE”.  I’m done trying to reason with the converts.

So back to rational conversation with folks that understand changing the “fabric that our game is built on” is actually a big deal.
    YashaXKyleran[Deleted User]

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Ungood said:
    As an Artist, I know I have fallen into the trap of looking at an at program and thinking that it was going to be the answer I was looking for, that is would solve all the weaknesses that the program I was currently using seemed to have, to only discover after using the program that it was not the ultimate solution as I first thought, and ended up going back to some of my older programs to get things done.

Sometimes, we can walk into something with starry eyes, only to have reality slap us down a bit, and maybe that is what happened here.

I think we have all been at this place at one time in our lives, especially as gamers, be it buying that have all, end all gaming mouse only for it to piss us off in a week, or that perfect computer chair that ends up making our ass chap and we go back to siting on the sofa.

Life happens.. its' not the end of the world.. sorta speak.
    Did you just make a comparison of a company who clearly said multiple times that the impossible task they want to achieve will be possible because of one special program to a gamer buying a computer chair and his butt not liking it?

I'm getting an idea about who you might be.
    Slapshot1188YashaX
    Harbinger of Fools

Bombastus said:

spin
    verb
        "her head was spinning"
      • Cricket
        "spun metal components"

Bombastus said:

They
    arent making anything. They will need to hire an ops engineer down the
    road, which they had not planned on doing because of their partnership
    with Improbable. No big deal there. 

Not saying I disagree with you, but spin is an interpretation. You presented just that, as is everyone else here.

Actually, "No big deal" was a quote from the studio. I am not interpreting anything in any of my posts here today.

Bombastus said:

spin
    verb
        "her head was spinning"
      • Cricket
        "spun metal components"

Bombastus said:

They
    arent making anything. They will need to hire an ops engineer down the
    road, which they had not planned on doing because of their partnership
    with Improbable. No big deal there. 

I was going to point that out but I’ve learned my lesson about trying to reason with the Ivory Tower. As Caspien himself said a year ago... he was “sharing the gospel of CoE”.  I’m done trying to reason with the converts.

So back to rational conversation with folks that understand changing the “fabric that our game is built on” is actually a big deal.

You are not doing much to actually further that conversation, other than saying how bad this is. That is way more spin than anyone else commenting on your post.

So, let's hear it. What is the rational reason why the scenario presented by the studio is unfeasible?
    YashaXSlapshot1188[Deleted User]
  • EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    Bombastus said:

Actually, "No big deal" was a quote from the studio. I am not interpreting anything in any of my posts here today.
    Then perhaps you should present it as such, rather than your own.
    YashaX