Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am going to ask

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
What is with the negative obsession with this game?

not is it justified or not, but where is the source to giving it so much attention on the negative side? How is one hurt exactly? where is the moral outrage on a personal level?

tell me what motivates you, why.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Some background on the motivation of some of these guys:

The SA.com community and the Goons tried to take over a big part of the Star Citizen universe like they did/do in the EVE universe.

CIG was quite aware of that and took measures to reduce the influence of such groups right from the start. That included crashing the real-life gray and black market for LTI ships supplying quite a few of those guys with real life income from selling ships at highly inflated prices.

That - of course - infuriated this community. The Goons originate from SA.com forum. They declared a Holy War against CIG. And they take such things pretty seriously.

The Propaganda War has now been going on for years. Across many different internet sites, including this one.

For added hilarity factor .... everyones favorite Internet Warlord considers himself a veteran Goon (which makes the Goons laugh at him even louder than they laugh at Chris Roberts). He gets about 80 % of his information from parotting what he reads on the SA.com forum, as the Goons are much better at digging dirt than he is.

Have fun

ZandogBabuinix
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Erillion said:

The SA.com community and the Goons tried to take over a big part of the Star Citizen universe like they did/do in the EVE universe.

CIG was quite aware of that and took measures to reduce the influence of such groups right from the start. That included crashing the real-life gray and black market for LTI ships supplying quite a few of those guys with real life income from selling ships at highly inflated prices.

That - of course - infuriated this community. The Goons originate from SA.com forum. They declared a Holy War against CIG. And they take such things pretty seriously.

The Propaganda War has now been going on for years. Across many different internet sites, including this one.

For added hilarity factor .... everyones favorite Internet Warlord considers himself a veteran Goon (which makes the Goons laugh at him even louder than they laugh at Chris Roberts). He gets about 80 % of his information from parotting what he reads on the SA.com forum, as the Goons are much better at digging dirt than he is.

Have fun

your not making this up are you?

very bizzare 

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    SEANMCAD said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

very bizzare 
    I can confirm the LTI ships theme. I do not know if it was the Goons or not but a number of people made a good grab by selling those ships. CIG stopped this and was immediately met by backslash both on the project's forums and other places.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2018
    Star Citizen is a popular crowdfund. The amount raised on its successful crowdfund grabs a lot of attention; especially with the amount of money involved. On the internet, attention always comes with hate.

And SC is a special case, it's not just hated, it's obsessively hated, especially when the Goons decided to jump in to turn flames into the California wildfires of internet drama about a video game.

I think it became popular to hate SC. Either the criticism is valid or not, it's full of hyperbole.
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Shodanas said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

very bizzare 
    I can confirm the LTI ships theme. I do not know if it was the Goons or not but a number of people made a good grab by selling those ships. CIG stopped this and was immediately met by backslash both on the project's forums and other places.
    Well yeah. CIG makes a promise to only have limited run LTI on ships unless you buy in early and then any ship you buy will have LTI. They let the market run like crazy unchecked and then suddenly do a 180 and go back on their promise and start offering LTI again to everyone.

They should have stopped the practice a lot faster instead of letting it continue for as long as it did.
    Kefo said:
    Shodanas said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

very bizzare 
    Well yeah. CIG makes a promise to only have limited run LTI on ships unless you buy in early and then any ship you buy will have LTI. They let the market run like crazy unchecked and then suddenly do a 180 and go back on their promise and start offering LTI again to everyone.

They should have stopped the practice a lot faster instead of letting it continue for as long as it did.
    lets not get this off tract.

I am not asking is one action morally correct or not. I am asking why do you care either way

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    I don't think anyone is going to admit to being mentally deranged Sean. I think the best you might get is some weird explanation of how they feel it is their duty to defend others from the evilness of Star Citizen or something.
    Orinori said:
    I don't think anyone is going to admit to being mentally deranged Sean. I think the best you might get is some weird explanation of how they feel it is their duty to defend others from the evilness of Star Citizen or something.
    well that is a fair and very honest point.

but I am going to try anyway...in the most polite nice, hyper friendly way I can.....try at least

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    SEANMCAD said:
    Orinori said:

but I am going to try anyway...in the most polite nice, hyper friendly way I can.....try at least
    Wont happen. Everyone here knows you Sean and probably won’t engage you in this kind of discussion lol
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    overcrowd funded, overhyped, and its never releasing,lol.
    Kefo said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Orinori said:

Wont happen. Everyone here knows you Sean and probably won’t engage you in this kind of discussion lol
    they already have.

ironic how one says something isnt going to happen while its literally happening
    but anyway...lets get back to it

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    edited January 2018
    as others have said. It was just a thing that got a lot of media attention. That always pulls in the "haters" and i do mean that literally. As in people who work them self up in to a state of pure agitation for no real reason. 

We see this all the time. It is not always the same people but the behavior is the same more or less. On their coattails follows the trolls who are just looking for a cheap thrill off the people either getting angry or defending against the people getting angry and soon it has nothing to do with the original topic, instead it is a bunch of grand standing and dick waving... 

At this point we have moved beyond even that and it has become reflexive for most. =P 

This have been a good conversation

• shane242shane242 Member UncommonPosts: 95
    edited January 2018
    Makes a change from the fanboy positive over-hype followed by a total flop of a game, which seems to have made up the bulk of the last few years. - Though it still may be a flop, just with more negativity going into it this time around :)
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Because Internet....
    EponyxDamor

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

shane242 said:
    Makes a change from the fanboy positive over-hype followed by a total flop of a game, which seems to have made up the bulk of the last few years. - Though it still may be a flop, just with more negativity going into it this time around :)
    but why.

why to the critics care?

• BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Erillion said:

Have fun

I can even provide usernames on that one. It all started with a player named "Beer4TheBeerGod". He and a large part of his Org (Goonrathi) spent a lot of time trying to insert themselves into CIG Austins good graces. Often times you would see Beer posting threads in the SC General forum and spend inordinate amounts of time trying to convince people his opinion was the best for the game. Core features like economy and combat were big discussions for him.

When it comes to Derek Smart, that goes waaaaay back. Derek and Chris both started in the industry at the same time, one was a rising star (Chris) and the other constantly had his work compared to Chris's. The infamous Coke machine incident was supposed to have happened after Derek had a meeting with publishers and they asked him to make his game "more like Wing Commander".

As for every other person who spends way too much time hating on a game? Well a lot of that comes down to "I need to have my thing be better than yours". In this case i'm referring to a vocal part of the Elite:Dangerous community, for some reason they cannot wrap their heads around the idea of two expansive space sims, even though Braben and Chris are on good terms.
    rpmcmurphyBabuinixZandog
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    SEANMCAD said:

not is it justified or not, but where is the source to giving it so much attention on the negative side? How is one hurt exactly? where is the moral outrage on a personal level?

I find a lot of CIG's business model very distasteful and their development progress is awful, in many ways it is contrary to their claims so they deserve to be called out for it on occasion. Sometimes I like arguing with people who try to defend it.

SEANMCAD said:

I find a lot of CIG's business model very distasteful and their development progress is awful, in many ways it is contrary to their claims so they deserve to be called out for it on occasion. Sometimes I like arguing with people who try to defend it.

yes but why do you care either way?

I feel much of the same way but I dont give a ____ about them either because I am not buying the game until I its near complete and solid, end of conversation, end of emptional investment

• ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    edited January 2018
    It all comes down to if Roberts would never have said the game is coming in 2014, 2105, 2016, etc! Majority of these posts would never have given birth to what we see now. He misspoke and we are in this endless debate till one of two things happen. Game releases in all the glory Roberts said would come, or it fails and closes shop like we seen with so many companies.

The only question after that is who will eat crow the game was all it was said it would be. Or will backers eat crow saying we never thought the game would go belly up.

Then all Roberts said will be forgotten and forgiven if it releases in all it's glory.

If it fails then all Roberts said will be used on why crowdfunding needs to be regulated.

So Sean the answer "where is the source to giving it so much attention on the negative side?" The answer is Roberts and the comments he has made through the years.

“The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Because gamers, in general, are miserable, hostile, toxic people. Make a game and they will bitch it lacks features X. add feature X and they will bitch that you added X wrong. redirect from follow-up feedback and they will bitch that its a useless features and should never have been added.

Add in the anonymity of the internet..then they don't even have real consequences for behavior that would result in an ass-kicking in real life. same generation that will steal music and movies over the internet for free and dont even think of it as a crime.

The internet is a world almost without any consequences. you can be a world-class doucheball to people who don't really know who you are....courtesy is becoming rare. they can shit on anything and everything without it ever really touching them. in the end, ding so becomes fun for many. the MMO, made possible via the internet, gave us to 'the Griefer'. A person who's sole motivation in the game is to derive pleasure from inflicting misery unto others. if that isnt a case study for sociopathic behavio, i dont know what is.

THen we have SC, which is TRYING to be the kind of game that so many gamers have waited for so long, that they throw insane sums of money at it. People...buying hope...and another set of people who love crushing the hope of others...

its like flies to honey. Not saying that RSI/ CIG / SC doesnt warrant scrutiny...anytime someone earns almost 200 million dollars on hype and hope, serious attention should be paid. But they ARE making progress, they DO show results. maybe not as fast as some would like, or as much as they wanted....but then again, no matter what happens, there will always be that subset of gamers who will be miserable shits no matter what happens.

This is why almost every other game dev does NOT reveal anything about their games until release is very close.
    Babuinix

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• mr1602mr1602 Member UncommonPosts: 216
    I got involved when people were sent my way because CIG refused to refund their backers. Due to my profession, I was able to get their refunds through other means (Charge Backs).
    Before StreetRoller got the DA of California involved, that was the only way and it wasn't easy.

Soon more people were coming to me and I saw how CIG's refusal to obey the law was hurting people/families. Some were literally one mis-payment away from being kicked out of their house!

I've cooled off a bit as CIG seems to obey the law a bit more in the refund space but there is no way I can ever be positive about CIG.
    ScotchUpMaxBacon
  • adamlotus75adamlotus75 Member UncommonPosts: 387
    In a time where games companies milk us for every dollar, a company was formed that promised to be different but instead turned the ripoff DLC microtransaction dial to 11 whilst slagging off their peers and bragging that they would make the best game of all time. The company is run by a wannabe movie mogul and a tickle porn actress. 

Its part gamer anger and part facination with how actually bad it is.
    kikoodutroa8
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited January 2018
    Well mr.Op.i will simplify it down to the very bare bones into a category often left out of today's society of selfish kids and the ME ME world.

There is actually laws behind this as well just so you know it is not as simple as just ignoring it or the typical "i don't care attitude by many people out there".

What is this term?>>>ETHICS...code of ethics,i am not going to write an essay on it,but it really is too bad that now a days so many bad parents out there raising kids to be selfish and ignorant of others.

I suggest do some research on it, i am sure there are many scholar type people that have written essays,theories on the subject.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited January 2018
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    The folks that so early greatly helped fund the project to the tune of half-million dollars are now the ones so invested in bringing it down. Ironically amusing.

Or they are just manipulating people into refunding while secretly still increasing their fleets as a way to weaken the opposition ;)