Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Every Time Star Citizen Gets a New Update Everyone Forgets What an Alpha is

Comments

• DenverRalphyDenverRalphy Member UncommonPosts: 2
    edited January 2018
    Arillix said:
    Always, funny that gamers will make a big stink of dates AS IF WRITTEN IN STONE BY THE HAND OF GOD.

LOL! Yeah, like 4+ years is still an acceptable "coming soon" timeframe. This whole project started in 2011 with a 2014 guestimate. 2015 rolled around and then it's 2016. Now we're in 2018, and it's still nowhere near release.

C'mon... at what point will it take for individual people to realize that they've been taken for thousands? Add them altogether and it's into millions?

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    At what point will you understand that many of us backers do not care how long it takes ? That we believe in the motto "Its done when its done" from many of the best gaming studios in gaming history.

Have fun
    paterson.jon
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited January 2018
    C'mon... at what point will it take for individual people to realize that they' been taken for thousands? Add them altogether and it's into millions?
    They won't because they haven't. And because they realize and support what is implied with the development of this game.

SC continues development and updating, undeniably continuing the path in the direction of its promises. 

And that is all that matters.

Meanwhile, people with the usual hateful hyperbole can keep accusing the SC backers of being a cult, delusional, etc.. etc... to justify their narrative and the support SC has gotten and gets.
  • Pingu2012Pingu2012 Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Erillion said:
    At what point will you understand that many of us backers do not care how long it takes ? That we believe in the motto "Its done when its done" from many of the best gaming studios in gaming history.

Have fun
    "You've got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?"
    - Captain Sensible
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    SEANMCAD said:

1. How much the landscape on the planets look EXACTLY like Space Engineers
    2. that people dont talk about it more. it looks pretty sweet
    That's because it literally is "what if Space Engineers was one MMO", it's been decently quiet but they do have the potential to make it big if they do it right, having a more casual appeal.
  • ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88
    Arillix said:
    Always, funny that gamers will make a big stink of dates AS IF WRITTEN IN STONE BY THE HAND OF GOD.

LOL! Yeah, like 4+ years is still an acceptable "coming soon" timeframe. This whole project started in 2011 with a 2014 guestimate. 2015 rolled around and then it's 2016. Now we're in 2018, and it's still nowhere near release.

C'mon... at what point will it take for individual people to realize that they've been taken for thousands? Add them altogether and it's into millions?

Do you have any coding, art asset, modeling, animation, or rigging experience?
    As, I do from modding and rigging guns and chars for unreal tournament just to see if I could.
    I discovered that yes I could, however it was an extreme amount of work to pull off, and I was by NO means pro at it.

So, anyone with the egotistically, arrogant  audacity to think they know more than professional devs at the amount of time it takes to make a game need to try it, then and only then can they talk.
    Kefobentrimpaterson.jon
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Is it an alpha? Doesn't matter. 

It is what it is. And backers can check it out. Decide for themselves on whether its good, or bad, or simply OK. Decide for themselves how much progress has been made. Its one of the trials that CiG have to live with since its a crowdfunded project.

On the plus side though it leads the talk. Haven't seen anyone say its all just jpegs. Or suggest that there won't be any female avatars. Or moon, or vegetation on the moons or ....

It also brings publicity - good and bad. Which may result in some people seeing what all the fuss is about and - potentially - deciding it could be something they might like.

At the end of the day the alpha - or whatever it is - is out there. A double edged sword cutting equally through false negativity and inflated hype. 

EponyxDamorOrinoriShodanas
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited January 2018
    Yeah in this day and age when all developers play games with terminology, WTF is alpha? There are even people paying donating to play "pre-alpha."

It seems to me that you have to be a true believer of any particular developer's gospel to believe that their alpha fits the time-honored, accepted product testing definition instead of some semi random use.

So let's confuse the shit out of everyone misusing terminology and then let's laugh at the dummies who get confused.

My understanding of alpha is: the initial testing phase for a product under a strict NDA with a small group of testers carefully selected based on their ability to provide useful feedback about the product. 

If this is incorrect and alpha actually means let's ditch the NDA, let everyone in and even have "free" events to bring in even more people and constantly pump out alpha testing videos for marketing purposes well, I never got that definition changing memo,
    MrMelGibsonMaurgrimOctagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Well whoever did the marketing for this was a genius...To get so many people to buy in on a product that is in pre alpha state is really remarkable.
    MrMelGibsonbentrim
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    edited January 2018
    "It should have been meeeeeeeeeeeeee!" -Mark Kern
    #ExclusiveBeta #ItsABeta #SOON

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Holy cow I just forgot what an alpha is!?

Image result for its alpha excuse star citizen meme

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    edited January 2018
    Hey guys, ignore the record breaking, $170+ Mil, 5+ year old, unfinished elephant in the gaming room. Nothing to see here.
    7+ yrs, and this "game" is still so far from it's release.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Vaporware
    Horrible fps
    False Promises
    P2W
    Scam

Must choose two.

Must choose two.
    Breathtaking eye candy

Deep and diverse sandbox gameplay possibilities

Have fun
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197

Must choose two.
    Wallet-tickling spaceship pixels

Endless queue for the space toilet
    kikoodutroa8paterson.jon

..Cake..

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Arillix said:
    RSI agrees to use its good faith business efforts to deliver to you the pledge items and the game on or before the "({ESTIMATED DELIVERY DATE})" communicated to you on the website.
    However, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT DELIVERY AS OF SUCH DATE IS !!!! "({NOT})"!!!! A FIRM PROMISE AND MAY BE EXTENDED BY RSI SINCE UNFORESEEN EVENTS MAY EXTEND THE DEVELOPMENT AND/OR PRODUCTION TIME.

I have no issue with dates that are published and then missed, its the lack of projected dates which is not tolerable.

Even with Alpha 3.0 there really wasn't a set date, they just seemed to release it one day towards years end with little fanfare.  

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited January 2018
    Arillix said:
    Arillix said:

Do you have any coding, art asset, modeling, animation, or rigging experience?
    As, I do from modding and rigging guns and chars for unreal tournament just to see if I could.
    I discovered that yes I could, however it was an extreme amount of work to pull off, and I was by NO means pro at it.

So, anyone with the egotistically, arrogant  audacity to think they know more than professional devs at the amount of time it takes to make a game need to try it, then and only then can they talk.
    Apparently the "professional devs" have no more idea than anyone else on how long it takes to a code this game either.

;)
    KefoConstantineMerusNildenEponyxDamor

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Iselin said:
    <snip>
    My understanding of alpha is: the initial testing phase for a product under a strict NDA with a small group of testers carefully selected based on their ability to provide useful feedback about the product. 

If this is incorrect and alpha actually means let's ditch the NDA, let everyone in and even have "free" events to bring in even more people and constantly pump out alpha testing videos for marketing purposes well, I never got that definition changing memo,
    Well I never got the memo about an initial testing phase to be fair but yes what you describe is what an "alpha" used to be.

However in the age of crowd funding developers don't have the luxury of doing it free from publicity. Probably fair to say they would! It must consume time and resources that could otherwise be used to develop the game - and for small studios it could be a significant burden. Pretty sure CiG would have prefered to have held off releasing 3.0 (a problem of their own making in the end). C'est la vie.

That said we also live in an era of great choice. Lots of options. And consequently we have developers e.g. Zenimax lamenting the fact that people won't beta test anymore making it harder to develop stuff. So maybe their is a silver lining to the curse. 

And with traditional big studios producing fewer games I think this is how it will be for the near future. At least their are new games being churned out.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    edited January 2018
    I'll be honest.  At this point I have $150 invested in something for 7 years... I'm sure at SOME point I'll get a return.  But I'd almost rather something hilarious happen.  Like some computing breakthrough that changes the way games are made.  In such a way that they've literally wasted 7 years of development on this BS turd.  Because as of right now, after 7 years that's what we have.  A turd.

Contrast that with say Elite Dangerous or a number of other titles that are doing what SC purports to do but better.
    EponyxDamor
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gervaise1 said:
    Iselin said:
    <snip>

Well I never got the memo about an initial testing phase to be fair but yes what you describe is what an "alpha" used to be.

However in the age of crowd funding developers don't have the luxury of doing it free from publicity. Probably fair to say they would! It must consume time and resources that could otherwise be used to develop the game - and for small studios it could be a significant burden. Pretty sure CiG would have prefered to have held off releasing 3.0 (a problem of their own making in the end). C'est la vie.

That said we also live in an era of great choice. Lots of options. And consequently we have developers e.g. Zenimax lamenting the fact that people won't beta test anymore making it harder to develop stuff. So maybe their is a silver lining to the curse. 

And with traditional big studios producing fewer games I think this is how it will be for the near future. At least their are new games being churned out.

Well despite the fact that Pantheon is calling theirs a "pre-alpha" (lol)  they have an NDA in place which indicates to me that they are not mislabeling an open beta, which typically is part testing and part hype, as an alpha just so they can reserve the right to say "but it's only alpha!" or have friendly media do it for them.

On the plus side, rejoice Star Citizens, you're actually in beta! :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2018
    Iselin said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Iselin said:
    <snip>

Well despite the fact that Pantheon is calling theirs a "pre-alpha" (lol)  they have an NDA in place which indicates to me that they are not mislabeling an open beta, which typically is part testing and part hype, as an alpha just so they can reserve the right to say "but it's only alpha!" or have friendly media do it for them.

On the plus side, rejoice Star Citizens, you're actually in beta! :)
    Even Chris Roberts once equated 3.0 to beta, didn't he?

Technically, considering the large amount of people on these forums who defined "release" as "Once you are charging people money for items in-game", then because CIG is charging money for goods receivable in-game right now (even if only a small portion of those goods are currently receivable in-game), that qualifies the game as "released" under some definitions.

Really, at this point in the game's development, it's extremely close to where Shroud of the Avatar was when people started saying that Shroud of Avatar should count as released because it was charging for in-game items despite the horrible mess that game was (and still is).  The only difference is that Star Citizen is an even buggier mess with a lot more features missing than Shroud of the Avatar was at that point, neither of which are that relevant to the "Once it starts charging money for items in-game" definition that lots of people use.
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    I think it is more about people actually NOT forgetting that the Company asked for donations promising a game released in 2014 in return.

and at the same time making sure to forget that they asked the community if they should dramatically increase the scope with all the unexpected funding.....

I guess it is to be expected to find a few remaining folks shaking their sticks in the air 'never forget 2014 release!'. 
    Erillion
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    Tiamat64 said:

it's extremely close to where Shroud of the Avatar was when people started saying that Shroud of Avatar should count as released because it was charging for in-game items despite the horrible mess that game was (and still is).
    You bought Shroud of the Avatar?
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Arillix said:
    Arillix said:

Seems the professionals do not even know the amount of time it takes to make a game (two missed "release" dates). That seems to be the point he is making. 
    Kyleran
    >>>> Technically, considering the large amount of people on these forums who defined "release" as "Once you are charging people money for items in-game", >>>>

Funny way to say "my opinion is shared by most because I say so". Which puts all the other things you say in that post into context ;-) 

Have fun
    Orinori