Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The new ESO "new player" experience with the skill adviser and level-up rewards

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
edited January 2018 in Elder Scrolls Online
I've spent a bit of time on the PTS mostly looking at the skill adviser. This is a feature that I have said many times over the past 3 years was missing from ESO. From what I have seen so far it's very well done with several templates per class some more basic and some more advanced.

The level-up rewards that you get are also a welcome addition with many useful items like crafting mats, a basic horse at level 10, a choice of blue weapons at level 15, costumes, consumables, XP scrolls, extra gold rewards etc. They even threw in one of the new 30 slot housing storage chests at level 17.

Whenever you go up a level you get a prompt to press F and the character panel comes up with a new panel on the left with the rewards. You have to claim those first and then it lets you add the points to stamina, health or magicka.

After you make that selection it takes you to the skills panel. That UI element now also has a new extra panel on the left which is the skill adviser. You can also bring this up whenever you bring up the skills pane with K.

Each class comes with 5 templates all of which have unique names depending on the class:

A basic new player template
Magicka DPS
Stamina DPS
Healer
Tank

You select one of those or "none" by clicking on the cog to bring up the build selector. Otherwise it defaults to the basic template.

There are 3 suggested class, weapon or armor skills/passives at any given time and then a list underneath of what you have already taken. Some of the 3 might be available at that point or have a lock symbol on the icon if you can't take it yet. Additionally, any skills that are part of that build now have a double border (a bit too subtle IMO, might need more work) on the right-hand skill panel so you can see what it is you're working toward at higher levels.

When it's time to morph a skill you also get green text at the bottom of the morph's description if that option is part of the build or red text warning you that it's not.

From the ones I've looked at I can't say that I'm in 100% agreement with some of their recommendations and a few things are a bit wonky. For example some builds may have only the 4th skill of a class skill line as part of it which means you need to unlock and slot at least one of the low level skills in that line or it will never advance up to the 4th one you do want. The adviser is not quite clever enough to tell you to do that yet but hey, baby steps, and much better than nothing for new players.

If you know what you're doing with class builds there isn't much there for you other than just satisfying your curiosity about how ZOS recommends you do it. But this new thing is not really aimed at the clued-in.

Damn good additions for new players all in all.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

[Deleted User]SignexSovrathConstantineMerusOctagon7711EponyxDamorklash2def

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I wonder if the leveling rewards will be retroactive... for the mount and costumes.
    No. But you can get them by rolling a new character.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    good news!  I still wish they had a server wide auction house though!
    bartoni33Palebane

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Every time I think I want to go back and play this game I am daunted by how long I have left it and how much catching up I have.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Iselin said:
    I've spent a bit of time on the PTS mostly looking at the skill adviser.

As I've mentioned before I despise making builds. And that is an understatement. Can someone who already has a character take advantage of this or does it need to be a new character?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    kitarad said:
    Every time I think I want to go back and play this game I am daunted by how long I have left it and how much catching up I have.
    Depends on what you want to do. If you want to do trials then yeah, it's a long haul getting to the current CP cap which is 690 and will be 720 next month. Anything else in PVE is doable at pretty well any level.

If you go back during one of their double XP events you could easily go from 1-50 in a week and the week after that you'd be at CP160... which is the key level to get to because that's the gear's highest level. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

As I've mentioned before I despise making builds. And that is an understatement. Can someone who already has a character take advantage of this or does it need to be a new character?
    You can turn it on at any level, even max level, and it will recommend whichever skills it thinks you should have for a build but don't have trained yet.

With it turned on, as I said above, any skills that are part of the build you choose will now have a double border around them so you can just use that as your guide. But you do have to look carefully because the double border is subtle. Maybe by the time it launches next month they'll make it more noticeable since they're getting a lot of feedback suggesting just that.

The only things that require leveling a new character are the new level up rewards, some of which (mount, costumes, storage chest, etc.) are account wide but not given retroactively.
    Sovrath

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Iselin said:

You can turn it on at any level, even max level, and it will recommend whichever skills it thinks you should have for a build but don't have trained yet.

With it turned on, as I said above, any skills that are part of the build you choose will now have a double border around them so you can just use that as your guide. But you do have to look carefully because the double border is subtle. Maybe by the time it launches next month they'll make it more noticeable since they're getting a lot of feedback suggesting just that.

The only things that require leveling a new character are the new level up rewards, some of which (mount, costumes, storage chest, etc.) are account wide but not given retroactively.
    That's great to know, thanks.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Sounds great. I may have to delete one my older characters I never play just to experience this.

Elidien said:
    I did not think it would be retroactive. I am saving my nightblade for the patch now so I can experience the system. It makes sense to not make it retroactive because most of the rewards (mount, costumes and chest) are account based, it actually benefits you to roll a new character. Not just to decide - stam or magicka NB?
    I don't really care much for the rewards, I'm more interested in having class guidance throughout the process.

Sounds great. I may have to delete one my older characters I never play just to experience this.
    They said they're thinking of upping the max characters by one but haven't confirmed this yet. If you have the spare crowns kicking around you might not even have to delete one.
    postlarval

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    They sounds great. I'll have to roll up another character.

Any news on the supposed combat / animation changes?
    SlyLoK said:

What combat/animation changes? Didn't they already do that a long time ago?

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Every time you make an ESO post you make me to give this game another try. I'll wait for this update this time though! :blush:
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    SlyLoK said:

I haven't heard anything about animation changes on this or any upcoming updates and this update has the least amount of skill changes of any recent update.

The most significant combat ability changes are that they reduced how much you're slowed when using cast-time or channeled abilities by half, made synergies easier to activate by making their activation radius larger and taken them off the GCD, and made AOE damage have full effect on any targets in the area (not just the first 6 at full damage and more than that at reduced damage as it is now.) Other than that there are a handful of minor tweaks here and there but nothing big.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I do have some low level characters I never bothered to complete.  I'm willing to bet in a year or two they start selling instant level scrolls to fifty, for people who have leveled five to eight characters to max already.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I do have some low level characters I never bothered to complete.  I'm willing to bet in a year or two they start selling instant level scrolls to fifty, for people who have leveled five to eight characters to max already.
    That won't work in ESO as easily as it does in WOW and other MMOs because the skill points you get from leveling are only about 1/6th of the skill points available and the only skills a level 50 character would have available is their racial passives skill which are the only ones you get from going up a level - anything else would still need to be leveled by using them.

YashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Iselin said:
    SlyLoK said:

I haven't heard anything about animation changes on this or any upcoming updates and this update has the least amount of skill changes of any recent update.

The most significant combat ability changes are that they reduced how much you're slowed when using cast-time or channeled abilities by half, made synergies easier to activate by making their activation radius larger and taken them off the GCD, and made AOE damage have full effect on any targets in the area (not just the first 6 at full damage and more than that at reduced damage as it is now.) Other than that there are a handful of minor tweaks here and there but nothing big.
    It was in a previous article on this website not long ago.
    edited January 2018
    SlyLoK said:
    Iselin said:
    SlyLoK said:

It was in a previous article on this website not long ago.
    I hate to say this but there was an article about combat changes a loooong time ago. Meaning, I think they already happened.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I just don't get some people. You all are celebrating this like it's a good thing for the game. All I could think as I read the OP was he must be trolling. If this is true, then that's bad for the game.

I've seen free loot boxes in other games. You get some pretty nice things, including gear for no effort at all. The game was perfectly fine when it released regarding difficulty, yet they nerfed it. Now they're passing out free loot. I guess most people here used the console command to get loot in The Elderscrolls games.

IselinpantaroEponyxDamor
    edited January 2018
    nate1980 said:
    I just don't get some people. You all are celebrating this like it's a good thing for the game. All I could think as I read the OP was he must be trolling. If this is true, then that's bad for the game.

I've seen free loot boxes in other games. You get some pretty nice things, including gear for no effort at all. The game was perfectly fine when it released regarding difficulty, yet they nerfed it. Now they're passing out free loot. I guess most people here used the console command to get loot in The Elderscrolls games.

Yes because no MMO ever has had you walk to your trainer when you ding to be showered with rewards lol. Is it that they're skipping the "walk to your trainer" part that isn't hardcore enough for you?

Also... "Rewards for the Worthy" mail from the Cyrodiil campaign has been wanting to have a word with you since launch.
    EponyxDamor

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    nate1980 said:

When i first heard about some of these so called additions my honest reaction was 1. rolled my eyes 2. immediately World Of Warcraft came to mind 3. i really need to rethink my opinions on pantheon and saga of lucimia and support both asap! 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited January 2018
    this is surely a welcome addition but i hope the class templates are just that, new player guides.

I've never liked following other peoples builds or cookie cutter builds in mmos. I choose the skills i like and roll with them. If they are weak, then i will proudly stink playing my character.

I just wish they added at least 2 more slots to each hotbar. All my characters always feel incomplete because i will always use some vampire skills i like and sacrifice really good class/weapon skills in the process.

EDIT: forgot to mention that the other new additions sound pretty good.

pantaro said:
    nate1980 said:

When i first heard about some of these so called additions my honest reaction was 1. rolled my eyes 2. immediately World Of Warcraft came to mind 3. i really need to rethink my opinions on pantheon and saga of lucimia and support both asap! 
    Are you saying that ESO is a quest and story-centric theme park? Wow, I never knew that.

And hey, how about that animation cancelling issue and how Tod Howard hates ESO? Discuss...
    pantaro[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

this is surely a welcome addition but i hope the class templates are just that, new player guides.

Yeah that's all they are. IDK if you played The Secret World back when it first launched (not Legends which is much more heavy handed with builds although even those can be ignored once you train other weapons) but they had a similar system of recommended specs with build names... that most of us promptly ignored once we knew what we were doing.

People coming from strictly class-based MMOs where you make very few choices about what skill to take next and what works well together with that other thing are the ones that this is mostly aimed at because they can find a more open system confusing.

These templates just steer you toward safe choices by for example, letting you know that if you want to be a standard magicka sorcerer you need to use light armor and equip a destro staff by advising you to take destro staff skills and light armor passives, take this skill over here next, etc. They are also all PVE templates and you're own your own for PVP builds which typically require a whole different set of priorities (burst vs. sustain, more heavy armor pieces, impenetrable trait on them, etc.) 

Those of us who know the system well or those who just enjoy the chaos of experimenting will, I'm sure, ignore those templates just like we did in TSW.
    rojoArcueidYashaX

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited January 2018
    I have seen skill guides in other games. They can be handy for new players.  But those guides also tend to become outdated with later patches when they nerf or even completely change the working of a skill.

EDIT : What I really would like to see, is a way to see the morphs before you can unlock them. I see this as a necessary part of making an informed choice when spending a point.
    Palebane