Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another lawsuit but this time it is personal

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2018
    Phaserlight said:
    However, there are such things as predatory marketing tactics, particularly when you are talking about millions of dollars.

The corporation needs to hold some responsibility as well.
    Then go after the No Man's Sky of the industry, those were self-aware lies, not just disclaimed failed delivery dates. lol

Or even those who try to sell you products to make you magically thin, or enlarge your... :wink:

Now that is predatory, the scams of the industry that disappeared after getting the money, but that doesn't matter because SC is the devil now isn't it? For me, making SC the target is "barking at the wrong door".
  • lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Kyleran said:
    Hero? Hardly qualifies by any definition of the term.

Who the hell made you the Arbiter of who is or is not a hero?
     Do you do anything other than hover over your keyboard waiting to jump in and reply to every damn topic posted to this web site? Get a life....sheesh
    MrMelGibson

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    thunderC said:
    You tube comments  directed at this manroller guy are vile.  All the people taking shots at his disability , who were you raised by ? What has happened to humans ? internet tough guys feel the need to chastise and humiliate a cripple  in defense of their "video game" , WTF is wrong with these people. 
    The guy uses his disability to gain views and clicks. Hence he reaps what he seeded.

Also, having a disability does not give you free pass to behave like an idiot.
    StaalBurgherMrMelGibson
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    lttexxan said:
    Kyleran said:

Do you do anything other than hover over your keyboard waiting to jump in and reply to every damn topic posted to this web site? Get a life....sheesh

Well the OP asserted that he was a hero because he enabled 2 other families (at minimum) get a refund so they could put food on the table. So if that's heroics, then taking him to court and suing him for money that would, inevitably, be reimbursed by CIG would be taking food OFF the table for families. You know.... as long as we're painting with big brushes. 

Also, I do find the irony in your post amusing. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405
    edited January 2018
    Asm0deus said:
    mr1602 said:

Kyleran said:

Because of him, I know at least 2 families who didn't sleep on the streets as the dad got the refund from CIG much more quickly than the charge back process and was able to pay rent.

Nice cheap shot though. I'm sure this reflects well for you.

Sounds like the dad in those two families had messed up priorities if they needed a refund from CIG to be able to pay rent....
    Wow, blaming the victim much? 

I don't know if mr1602's claim is true, but it looks like you are assuming it is then waving it away as bad judgement and implying they deserved it. 

Yes, it was bad judgement (if true). It doesn't mean they deserve to be on the street. 

It's possible they bought in to a misrepresented product.  I'm not saying it was a good order of properties.

People also suffer from all kinds of addictions which to the rest of us often look like bad judgement. 
    What the hell are you going on about?

Victim my backside, I have a family and child to care for and I can say that any family "man" that put so much money in a video game, kickstarter, gaming pc etc etc but then falls on "hard times" and requires a refund from w/e to pay the rent is irresponsible as a parent and has only himself to blame.

There's no victims, barring perhaps the poor children that are stuck with such parents, here just irresponsible bad judgement, some people in this thread should learn what being a victim is instead of playing at it.  You don't seem to know what victim blaming is, go look it up.

Any money you put into video games, computers, consoles or just entertainment in general should only be spending money you can "afford" to flush down the toilet and shouldn't affect your ability to pay for unexpected bills be it health or other, rent or house payment, retirement fund and the ability to put food on your families table.

Any "parent" that doesn't know this is damned irresponsible and needs to do some growing up and get their priorities straight.

As for addiction they are a direct result of bad choices, one of the first things addicts need to face is owning up to their BS and start taking responsibility for their actions.

Also I never said anyone or their families deserved to be on the street, don't put words in my mouth.
    ShodanasSovrathEponyxDamor

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Erillion said:
    thunderC said:
    You tube comments  directed at this manroller guy are vile.  All the people taking shots at his disability , who were you raised by ? What has happened to humans ? internet tough guys feel the need to chastise and humiliate a cripple  in defense of their "video game" , WTF is wrong with these people. 
    See upthread - concerning your apparent lack of knowledge about how the SA.com community and the Goons execute their psychological warfare campaigns (including fake comments etc.):  You DID know that this guy is right smack in the middle of the SA.com community, did you not ?

Have fun
    I do believe he joined the SA forums to seek help in getting a refund and tell his story since CIG were being dicks and were refusing him a refund.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2018
    The law is the law, regardless of what everyone here thinks about Streetroller or his motivations.  ....that said, from researching more about this case, I have to say that New Jersey law seems awfully harsh :O
    RexKushman
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited January 2018
    I now had time to watch the video more closely.

My personal assessment:

rehearsed
    following a pre-written script
    using a lot of little rhetorical tricks, like intermissions and way of speaking
    using trigger words (coffee machine, space door, sports car etc.) and phrases from well known internet figures for recognition value
    manipulative

The intentionally controversial video title (chosen by himself BTW) is another not so subtle psyops attempt to gain clicks and extreme reactions.

Have fun 

PS:
    And can someone PLEASE show the guy behind the camera how to bring something into focus ?!! Something that every cheap camera automatically can do these days.

Post edited by Erillion on
    PhaserlightAsm0deusEponyxDamorVynt
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited January 2018
    Asm0deus said:
    Asm0deus said:
    mr1602 said:

Kyleran said:

Because of him, I know at least 2 families who didn't sleep on the streets as the dad got the refund from CIG much more quickly than the charge back process and was able to pay rent.

Sounds like the dad in those two families had messed up priorities if they needed a refund from CIG to be able to pay rent....

I don't know if mr1602's claim is true, but it looks like you are assuming it is then waving it away as bad judgement and implying they deserved it. 

Yes, it was bad judgement (if true). It doesn't mean they deserve to be on the street. 

It's possible they bought in to a misrepresented product.  I'm not saying it was a good order of properties.

People also suffer from all kinds of addictions which to the rest of us often look like bad judgement. 

Victim my backside, I have a family and child to care for and I can say that any family "man" that put so much money in a video game, kickstarter, gaming pc etc etc but then falls on "hard times" and requires a refund from w/e to pay the rent is irresponsible as a parent and has only himself to blame.

There's no victims, barring perhaps the poor children that are stuck with such parents, here just irresponsible bad judgement, some people in this thread should learn what being a victim is instead of playing at it.  You don't seem to know what victim blaming is, go look it up.

Any money you put into video games, computers, consoles or just entertainment in general should only be spending money you can "afford" to flush down the toilet and shouldn't affect your ability to pay for unexpected bills be it health or other, rent or house payment, retirement fund and the ability to put food on your families table.

Any "parent" that doesn't know this is damned irresponsible and needs to do some growing up and get their priorities straight.

As for addiction they are a direct result of bad choices, one of the first things addicts need to face is owning up to their BS and start taking responsibility for their actions.

Also I never said anyone or their families deserved to be on the street, don't put words in my mouth.
    I agree with you; I am a parent, too.

I am just well acquainted with the fact that what looks like bad judgement is often an addiction in disguise. It doesn't take away anything from the enormity of putting one's family at risk for the sake of a video game. 

I guess I am less willing to give CIG a pass and say it's all on the consumer.  They more or less promised the sky and beyond in 2013; some people obviously believed them.  It doesn't make their choices without consequence.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    We can't even pump our own gas in Jersey. Don't expect any laws here to make much sense.
    ErillionPhaserlightEponyxDamor
    edited January 2018
    CrazKanuk said:
    lttexxan said:
    Kyleran said:

Well the OP asserted that he was a hero because he enabled 2 other families (at minimum) get a refund so they could put food on the table. So if that's heroics, then taking him to court and suing him for money that would, inevitably, be reimbursed by CIG would be taking food OFF the table for families. You know.... as long as we're painting with big brushes. 

Bullshit.  This is ridiculous on so many levels. 

Set aside for one minute that CIG has raised over $175 million to date without shipping a product; even if say by some black swan event this YouTuber resulted in CIG going under (which isn't going to happen, by the way), those employees could pivot their skills in a new direction and continue earning over time: it is in no way, shape or form taking food off someone's table, not like emptying one's bank account through a foolhardy purchase.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

Asm0deus said:
    Asm0deus said:
    mr1602 said:

Kyleran said:

I agree with you; I am a parent, too.

I am just will acquainted with the fact that what looks like bad judgement is often an addiction in disguise. It doesn't take away anything from the enormity of putting one's family at risk for the sake of a video game. 

I guess I am less willing to give CIG a pass and say it's all on the consumer.  They more or less promised the sky and beyond in 2013; some people obviously believed them.  It doesn't make their choices without consequence.

Also, you forget that this "victim" in particular got his money back. So I think he stopped being a victim at that point. Now I think this is just another example of the frivolous lawsuits that America has become known for. 
    PhaserlightShodanas

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    mr1602 said:
    Fun fact, Chris Roberts or his attorney does not show up and a default judgment is awarded to StreetRoller, Chris Roberts will be declared 'a fraud' by the courts.

Since this is an actual court that gave that declaration, it stays with you through all future proceedings (legal or not), background checks etc.

LOL..who cares? Won't stop production or make the normal people who invested stop following and helping to make what will probably be the best space sim game ever made...
    Fun fact, No one is required to show up to kangaroo court just because of a minor refund nor are they required to invest so much coin in something like game development when they clearly don't understand game development. (actually two fun facts)
    CrazKanuk said:
    lttexxan said:
    Kyleran said:

Bullshit.  This is ridiculous on so many levels. 

Set aside for one minute that CIG has raised over $175 million to date without shipping a product; even if say by some black swan event this YouTuber resulted in CIG going under (which isn't going to happen, by the way), those employees could pivot their skills in a new direction and continue earning over time: it is in no way, shape or form taking food off someone's table, not like emptying one's bank account through a foolhardy purchase.

I agree, hence the comment on painting with big brushes. 

The OP asserted this guy is a hero. He also said that because of what this guy did, it allowed at least 2 other people to get refunds so they could afford to support their family. You actually talked about this previously wrt priorities, etc. 

I wasn't talking about people losing their jobs, I was talking about if this guy were to be paid out by the courts, that money would inevitably come from CIG which would have been raised from backers, meaning that this streetroller guy would, effectively, be taking food out of the mouths of some families who have put money into it. 

It was more about commenting on how ridiculous it is that some people are propping him up as a hero of sorts, but he really did nothing. That's all. It was an idiotic statement which reflected a similarly idiotic statement, so I'm glad that you brought it up because that's pretty much the exact reaction I was going for. 
    PhaserlightMrMelGibson

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    MaxBacon said:
    Herase said:
    Hero? He using he's on disability to gain views, clicks and sympathy. "Shaggy Cripple"
    What relevancy does it have to he's point? 

He talks about Total Biscuit and he's cancer, why? 

Then brings in third world countries, again, why? 

Through out the video he doesn't explain on what grounds he will sue them on or he's plan. Just keeps listing of things on why you should be sympathetic towards what he's doing even if it makes no sense.

Then he ends it with "come at me bro, literally" Um....what??

If people are honestly getting behind this guy considering he's attitude and what I said above, I don't know what to say. 
    Agreed right there.

So much argument to gain sympathy, that and the OP "oh family living on the street if it wasn't for him allowing them to get refund" is just beyond me.
    So in other words, if the game was on-time released, their families would've been living on the streets, eh? And they say these delays do no good. Well there you go, beat that silver-lining. 
    Pingu2012
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2018
    So in other words, if the game was on-time released, their families would've been living on the streets, eh? And they say these delays do no good. Well there you go, beat that silver-lining. 
    Actually, if the game was released on time, those supposed families WOULD be living on the street because then the refund scenario would likely be off the table.

I think it's rather logical, if we play by the argument the OP did it was thanks to that money they weren't living on the street, those supposed families should be thankful the game didn't release on time and the chain of events led them to be able to get their money back from CIG when they hit struggles with their life.

Both scenarios don't seem that relevant to how much money would you have spent (like CrazKanuk mentioned as well).
    MaxBacon said:
    Herase said:
    Hero? He using he's on disability to gain views, clicks and sympathy. "Shaggy Cripple"
    What relevancy does it have to he's point? 

He talks about Total Biscuit and he's cancer, why? 

Then brings in third world countries, again, why? 

Through out the video he doesn't explain on what grounds he will sue them on or he's plan. Just keeps listing of things on why you should be sympathetic towards what he's doing even if it makes no sense.

Then he ends it with "come at me bro, literally" Um....what??

If people are honestly getting behind this guy considering he's attitude and what I said above, I don't know what to say. 
    Agreed right there.

So much argument to gain sympathy, that and the OP "oh family living on the street if it wasn't for him allowing them to get refund" is just beyond me.

Not only that, but if it was on time and as feature rich as claimed, then imagine how much MORE money they would have spent. Thanks delays! :)
    PhaserlightConstantineMerus

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

• OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    I think we should perhaps have a fund raiser for Chris Roberts to show our appreciation in saving these people from being homeless.
    Orinori said:
    I think we should perhaps have a fund raiser for Chris Roberts to show our appreciation in saving these people from being homeless.

You'd have to start up a GoFundMe because Kickstarter doesn't allow charities. 
    EponyxDamorMrMelGibson

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

MaxBacon said:
    Actually, if the game was released on time, those supposed families WOULD be living on the street because then the refund scenario would likely be off the table.

I think it's rather logical, if we play by the argument the OP did it was thanks to that money they weren't living on the street, those supposed families should be thankful the game didn't release on time and the chain of events led them to be able to get their money back from CIG when they hit struggles with their life.

Both scenarios don't seem that relevant to how much money would you have spent (like CrazKanuk mentioned as well).
    Money spent is money spent: this is a good point.

However, markets also behave like herds. Maybe you weren't around in 2012-2013: CIG may have not forced anyone to beggar themselves, but they sure didn't stop or urge caution from their community when the hype train was leaving the station.

If anything, they encouraged big thinking and big spending: an ideology that was reflected back and amplified by their community.

I don't recall them ever stating 'please donate responsibly' or something to that effect. Instead, they celebrated their "50 million dollar man" and stoked this absurd culture of dick-measuring based on how much one was invested (some in their community taking this to a literal extreme).

I don't think I can spell it out much more dichromatically.
    Kickaxe

MaxBacon said:

I don't recall them ever stating 'please donate responsibly' or something to that effect. Instead, they celebrated their "50 million dollar man" and stoked this absurd culture of dick-measuring based on how much one was invested (some in their community taking this to a literal extreme).

I remember Chris saying many times that no one needs to donate more than the starter pledge.
    ConstantineMerusEponyxDamor
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hero?  :D

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited January 2018
    Orinori said:
    MaxBacon said:

I remember Chris saying many times that no one needs to donate more than the starter pledge.
    A statement that was made to address pay-to-win concerns. It's irrelevant to the fact CIG (CR in particular) purposefully fostered a culture of big spending.

Like, I get "why wouldn't they do this?", but it matters. When you are talking about families potentially losing their homes as a result, it matters.  It speaks to my point about the situation being more nuanced than "caveat emptor".

Orinori said:
    MaxBacon said:

A statement that was made to address pay-to-win concerns. It's irrelevant to the fact CIG purposefully fostered a culture of big spending.
    Yes they fostered a culture of spending more by saying over and over there was no need to spend more.

What is it with posts today?
    Orinori said:
    Orinori said:
    MaxBacon said:

A statement that was made to address pay-to-win concerns. It's irrelevant to the fact CIG purposefully fostered a culture of big spending.
    Yes they fostered a culture of spending more by saying over and over there was no need to spend more.

What is it with posts today?
    As in 'You don't need to spend more to keep competitive but we sure aren't going to stop you, now here's our 50 million dollar man!'

Per usual you are taking Chris' comment completely out of context to make him look like the saint he isn't.