Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Four Years After Release, GTAO's December Player Count is the Highest Ever - Grand Theft Auto Online

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageFour Years After Release, GTAO's December Player Count is the Highest Ever - Grand Theft Auto Online - MMORPG.com

Grand Theft Auto Online News - GTA Online continues to be a juggernaut. Over four years after its release, Rockstar says that 2017 was the game's most successful year ever. In fact, more players took part in the game in December 2017 than in any month previous. There are big plans afoot for 2018 as well, starting with the release of a new car called Lampadati Viseris.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    This game just keeps going and going. If this keeps up don't expect another GTA for a long time.

They hit a home run by adding an online component to this game. Maybe its time for me to finally try it.
    [Deleted User]
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    edited January 2018
    You don't know what you're missing, if you are going try it then do so on a console. That's where the online game has really kicked off.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    So, I've tried GTAO quite a few times and I'm convinced that I just don't get it. 

My experience has been almost entirely negative. The open world is relatively pointless, you're chucked in an instance with max 32 players and there isn't much going on. You get the regular small events - 5 minutes to kill each other or similar - but thats about it. So, I spend the majority of my time sitting in a lobby waiting for something to pop. 

If you try to do something specific, you can be waiting hours. I found it impossible to follow the story missions that you're given because nobody else queued up to do them. I've never managed to do a heist online, the groups almost always collapse during the prep stages. 

So, the only things I can ever end up doing are queuing up for *anything*, which almost always pops a race (and at least 30% of the time that race is the shitty bridge jumping one), or you can queue for whatever the latest patch provided. 

So, yeh, definitely feel like I'm missing something. Do others who play GTAO find the same thing? At least 50% of my time seems to be spent queuing in the lobby, rather than actually playing. 
    [Deleted User]Psym0nbartoni33chocolate42069
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309

So, I've tried GTAO quite a few times and I'm convinced that I just don't get it. 

My experience has been almost entirely negative. The open world is relatively pointless, you're chucked in an instance with max 32 players and there isn't much going on. You get the regular small events - 5 minutes to kill each other or similar - but thats about it. So, I spend the majority of my time sitting in a lobby waiting for something to pop. 

If you try to do something specific, you can be waiting hours. I found it impossible to follow the story missions that you're given because nobody else queued up to do them. I've never managed to do a heist online, the groups almost always collapse during the prep stages. 

So, the only things I can ever end up doing are queuing up for *anything*, which almost always pops a race (and at least 30% of the time that race is the shitty bridge jumping one), or you can queue for whatever the latest patch provided. 

So, yeh, definitely feel like I'm missing something. Do others who play GTAO find the same thing? At least 50% of my time seems to be spent queuing in the lobby, rather than actually playing. 

This has been 100% my experience with it as well. Have no clue what people are seeing in this.
    bartoni33chocolate42069
  • BananableBananable Member UncommonPosts: 194
    "Four Years After Release, GTAO's December Player Count is the Highest Ever"

Im proud of them.
    The game has been steam TOP SELLER for years.
    They have 100k+ players online daily. Thats amazing. Wooo! Yeah!

*Looks at PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds stats*

lolz

• Psym0nPsym0n Member UncommonPosts: 283

This has been 100% my experience with it as well. Have no clue what people are seeing in this.

I thought the exact same. Just doesn't work for me, my friends and I have only touched it twice and both were boring experiences. The ingame currency for items compared to offline is just insane. GTA is more fun when you can spend money like there is no tomorrow.

Would love to see an offline DLC, though that will probably never happen.
    bartoni33
  • bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    Personally I feel that the online aspect of GTA has killed the game. Where are my expansions? Not everyone cares about shooting and racing each other. That is not what GTA means. It means a decent to good story and a lot of fun running around doing different things like all the minigames. This online hack/grief-fest is shitty at best. Think about all the time the devs put into online these last few years. Now think about if they spent that time actually making an expansion.

But... RMT. Follow the money. Online is built on/for RMT.

Fuck RMT in a single player game.
    gamer2025

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    How are they deciding 'player count'? If it's accounts created, for example, then of course the last year is better than the previous. Same can, and will, be said for the next year. It's not really possible to go backwards.
  • ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    I love this game, but damn the online loading screen is so fucking long, i don't play anymore because of it
    cameltosis
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    Give me online content to single player.
  • ninetenduhninetenduh Member CommonPosts: 1
    It is rather sad the Game has turned into absolute Cashgrab and Recycling of Content. GTA 4 had great Single Player Add-Ons, they have the talent for good stories, but they decided to go the Cashgrab route.