Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Every Time Star Citizen Gets a New Update Everyone Forgets What an Alpha is

ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
An interesting perspective from Gamer Revolution about playtime in alpha, expectations of development time and curiosity as to why anyone who has no investment in the game, wouldn't just go on with their lives and ignore it.

http://www.gamerevolution.com/features/362783-every-time-star-citizen-gets-new-update-everyone-forgets-alpha
Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
ErillionOrinoripaterson.jonDarkpigeon

Comments

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hey guys, ignore the record breaking, $170+ Mil, 5+ year old, unfinished elephant in the gaming room. Nothing to see here.
    FrodoFraginsNephethXarkoNildenPingu2012MrMelGibsonKyleranjosko9Scotkikoodutroa8and 6 others.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    "....However, the game is in alpha, and the only sin the team behind it has committed is being overzealous when it comes to giving projected release dates. Star Citizen hasn't ever claimed to be anything but an alpha, and anyone expecting more than that is setting themselves up for failure. ..."

"....Expecting a full, bug-free version of a game that purports itself as a work-in-progress is preposterous, and I'm not sure what people are expecting out of it...."

"....Well, games take time to develop, and you can bet that if you tried to play a game that took a while to produce, like Final Fantasy XV, at the halfway mark, it would be a stuttery, broken mess....."

"... keep in mind this is an unfinished alpha and temper your expectations accordingly. .."

Have fun

rpmcmurphypantaroAlexanderVendiMrMelGibsonohgodtherats707Sinsaichojin2k
    Hey guys, CHECK OUT the record breaking, $170+ Mil, 5+ year old, unfinished ALPHA elephant in the gaming room. PLENTY to see here.
    Corrected that for you.

Have fun
    Orinorijosko9Sinsai
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    "A lot was missing in Star Citizen 3.0 that players were upset about. We still don't have any of the professions added in"

I didn't really understand that part. What were people expecting in 3.0 in the months leading up to it that was missing?

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    If you charge customers and then let them play it, be prepared to meet quality requirements (even the bare minimum). 
    The customer pays for it so he has a right to criticize it.
    He can criticize the alpha version now and he can criticize the release version later.

rpmcmurphyalivenVrikapaterson.jonklash2defGolelorn

..Cake..

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited January 2018
    Whelp there's always that thing, if we here even mention SC is one Alpha, suddenly you're a white knight saying excuses. The fact the game has been X years in dev and has Y in funding and your opinion of the current progress doesn't matter to such reality.

People have the right to complain but it always brings me back to when a game releases on Steam Early Access and those huge flame wars pop where the game gets spammed with bad reviews because of say, it has a crash on startup, they can't run it because it performs bad, has stability issues or simply lacks content. I always see that as entitled people, if you aren't up to handle that stuff (that as it happens frequently might render you unable to play at all until stuff gets fixed), play finished games.

Recently I played Fortnite Alpha (before the beta stuff), I had to play for 4 months without sound because of one weird issue with AMD CPUs, I could complain all day long but whelp, or when I played Medieval Engineers having to deal with 5-10FPS due to abysmal performance caused by the simulation it does. But end of the day, those type of potential problems were implied by the stage of dev of said game.
    Shodanasohgodtherats707
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Erillion said:
    "....However, the game is in alpha, and the only sin the team behind it has committed is being overzealous when it comes to giving projected release dates. Star Citizen hasn't ever claimed to be anything but an alpha, and anyone expecting more than that is setting themselves up for failure. ..."

"....Expecting a full, bug-free version of a game that purports itself as a work-in-progress is preposterous, and I'm not sure what people are expecting out of it...."

"....Well, games take time to develop, and you can bet that if you tried to play a game that took a while to produce, like Final Fantasy XV, at the halfway mark, it would be a stuttery, broken mess....."

"... keep in mind this is an unfinished alpha and temper your expectations accordingly. .."

Have fun

Excellent selection of quotes Erilion and I approve of the message you are trying to put accross, one couldn't make this stuff up if one tried.

The quotes are perfect examples of how people make lame attempts at whitewashing virtually all criticism.
    sgelKefopantarokikoodutroa8Sinsai
    Erillion said:
    Hey guys, CHECK OUT all the money a bunch of whales are spending on a computer game despite not having played computer games for the last 20 years and thinking they are saving PC gaming from big, bad publishers they have had no experience with. PLENTY of P2W to see here.
    Corrected that for you.
    Version 3.
    Erillion said:

Have fun

The quotes are perfect examples of how people make lame attempts at whitewashing virtually all criticism.
    Lame? is there something about the comments you find untrue? Please do tell.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I wish I had a job in which I could cancel my own deadlines.  I'd work it until I retired and turn it over to the next person to worry about.
    rpmcmurphyNephethMrMelGibsonIceAgeSinsaiGwapoJoshStjerneodd

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited January 2018
    Orinori said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

I have 10 mins to waste so I'll indulge you.

1. Everyone knows the game is in alpha, no need for that to even be brought up unless you're trying to imply some people do not know. If the only sin was overzealous release dates this would be the best game on earth. However one only needs to look at the Gamescom/Citizencon demos and how they portray the game which always performs far better than the experience of those currently playing it. They reposted evocati screenshots of 60fps servers with 30+ people in one place, is that really the reality?

2. Does anyone expect a bug free game? Who says this, where do they say it?

3. And 3.0 was delayed for 1 year so they could get everything in place yet it still turns out to be extremely buggy. CR regularly likes to say that they would prefer to hold back a release so that they can deliver it with the polish he knows the backers expect, how often does that actually happen?

4. No shit sherlock, perhaps CIG and the more fanatical people should also be careful of claiming how amazing the next patch will be instead of trying to blame those that listened to them.

It's a lame puff piece catering to a bunch of yes men.
    FlyByKnightpantaroSinsai

Hey guys, CHECK OUT all THOSE BACKERS having played computer games for the last 20 years and TRYING TO SAVE PC gaming from big, bad publishers they have had ALL TOO MUCH experience with. PLENTY of AWESOME to see here.
    Corrected that for you.

Version 4

Have fun

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    I wish I had a job in which I could cancel my own deadlines.  I'd work it until I retired and turn it over to the next person to worry about.
    That's easy. Become one Indie game developer. :)
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2018
    Calling 3.0 an alpha is an insult to Alphas.  It's more like a pre-alpha, if we're being generous (a tech demo, if we aren't)

Give it another 2 years and maybe it'll reach something resembling an Alpha state. If we're being optimistic.
    KefopantaroMaxBaconEponyxDamor
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Shillion said:
    Hey guys, CHECK OUT the record breaking, $170+ Mil, 5+ year old, unfinished ALPHA elephant in the gaming room. PLENTY to see here.
    Corrected that for you.

Have fun
    That's OK, 2 can play.
    Pingu2012frostymug
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I see why people are saying it's an alpha and not to have high expectations, but at the same time, their team is big, the game has been in development for 5+ years, and is the highest crowdfunded game of all time. For a game with that much budget, and that big of a team, you would think that aspects would be further along by now. They have playable parts of the game but they don't have everything together in one spot. You can play the parts that they pick for you to play, then shovel all the promises in peoples faces. Every time I see a new post about this game it's always that they promised more and more. "Oh have you guys added in working fireplaces?" "We are adding in working fireplaces in your ship, that provide real smoke that stays in space forever and can cause characters to cough if the smoke somehow gets into their ship, which can cause lung cancer and end your characters life in real time"
    Orinori said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

I have 10 mins to waste so I'll indulge you.

1. Everyone knows the game is in alpha, no need for that to even be brought up unless you're trying to imply some people do not know. If the only sin was overzealous release dates this would be the best game on earth. However one only needs to look at the Gamescom/Citizencon demos and how they portray the game which always performs far better than the experience of those currently playing it. They reposted evocati screenshots of 60fps servers with 30+ people in one place, is that really the reality?

2. Does anyone expect a bug free game? Who says this, where do they say it?

3. And 3.0 was delayed for 1 year so they could get everything in place yet it still turns out to be extremely buggy. CR regularly likes to say that they would prefer to hold back a release so that they can deliver it with the polish he knows the backers expect, how often does that actually happen?

4. No shit sherlock, perhaps CIG and the more fanatical people should also be careful of claiming how amazing the next patch will be instead of trying to blame those that listened to them.

It's a lame puff piece catering to a bunch of yes men.

1. Is that the reality? yes for many it is, for many it is not. optimization is needed as it is needed for many alpha games.

2. You just started a thread linking an entire ed from some dunce who's entire theme was why does the alpha not play like a finished game!

3. I guess you could argue that they do hold it back and polish it but some backers (like the person in that other article) unrealistically expect more. I really don't think they were holding back 3.0 for polish though xD. In my opinion they were struggling with implementing all the tech together without everything exploding. Subsumption was just refusing to come together and planets are still left out due to memory issues.

4. But 3.0 is pretty amazing :/ performance and bugs aside. Just a matter of perspective!

"It's a lame puff piece catering to a bunch of yes men."

I guess it is nice that we don't see to many of these perfectly reasonable and well adjusted articles, as it is probably a good indication that everything is going just fine. No sensationalism, no clicks.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    It's been in alpha long enough.  It's time to stop hiding behind that excuse
    pantaroTiller
    So you think they should call it a beta now?

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Orinori said:

PRE-ALPHA! since you asked....
    pantaro said:
    Orinori said:

Well now you are just being mean.
    pantaroSinsai
    Orinori said:
    pantaro said:
    Orinori said:

Well now you are just being mean.
    im not gonna hug you but i can do cookies because chocolate makes everyone happy!
    OrinoriMrMelGibson
    Technically i would also call it a pre-alpha, as it is not feature complete yet.

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Technically i would also call it a pre-alpha, as it is not feature complete yet.

Have fun
    i can get on board with that statement
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Orinori said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

The only true comments are the ones bashing CR, CIG and SC. Anything else is just fan boy talk.
    pantaroMaxBaconOrinoriPingu2012kikoodutroa8Sinsai