Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen - What are your expectations?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I've purposefully steered myself away from Star Citizen because of my past experiences with crowdfunded MMOs.  It's always a huge blip on the edge of my radar, though.  I mean, with its funding and promises, how couldn't it be?  I would truly love for this game to release within a reasonable timeframe and be an incredible gaming experience.  I don't know enough about it, though, to have a reasonable guess if that will happen.  So for those who have been following SC's development closely, what do you think?  Will it release in a timely fashion and be an incredible game?  Will it launch 10 years from now and be a historic flop?  Something in between?
[Deleted User]

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    No to incredible game.
    It will have boring quests and a space station to walk around,after players get bored of that ,likely 1-3 weeks,all they have for a game is to fly around and pvp or do boring repeat quests.

Early on a couple employees claimed Chris was doing nothing more than play Mr.Hollywood director,it looks exactly like that is what he has been doing.
    The little the game ha going for it has proven to me that they spent 90% resources on Mr.Hollywood and cash shop assets,very little on the game.
    if you notice ,they tried to justify tons of money disappearing and wasting so much tiem by making videos telling us of literally every line of code they are working on,stuff EVERY developer does.So common everyday ,expected work,they are trying to make it sound like they are going above and beyond and being held back because they are doing so much ,,yada yada.

Imo the game wil be so boring,it won't be anymore intriguing than Eve online,just a new hangout similar to the transition of H1Z1 to PubG,just same old same old.

Rhime

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    I expect it to be a Hall of Fame material game like Wing Commander.

Will it release in a timely fashion ? No. Personally I do not care, its done when its done. Quality over artifical release dates.

I expect a cross between the player generated content of EVE Online, the sandbox freedom of Star Wars Galaxies and the story quality of Wing Commander 4.

I expect to ...

Have fun

[Deleted User]WalkinGlennOrinori
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Usually I mostly ignore games in development (the 'this game shows promise' phrases give me a twitchy eye), but sometimes it can be very entertaining. Like in the case of Star Citizen.

So I mainly expect to be entertained the coming years by reading more about this game's development.
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    So for those who have been following SC's development closely, what do you think?  Will it release in a timely fashion and be an incredible game?  Will it launch 10 years from now and be a historic flop?  Something in between?

No it won't release in a timely fashion, absolutely no way. Nor will it be an incredible game.
    There will be parts of it that are incredible, mainly the visuals, and some of the features might be called imaginative but they will be totally outweighed by the boring, unimaginitive, tedious, convoluted gameplay and design decisions.

I don't know if it'll be a historic flop but it's possible, there are lots of reasons it could be but I'm hoping it won't be.

The only certainty is that it will not live up to promises or expectations.

Kefo
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Expectations;

Good single player
    Decent FPS
    Fun racing game

Average MMO

No 'AI'
    Barely any NPC movement

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited January 2018
    A fun game to play, it has space, and dogfighting, and FPS, multi-crew stuff, was always what I looked for in a more persistent MMO scenario with heavy "guild-play".

The game will fail to the expectations of the haters that for sure, that for some reason have higher expectations than most of the fans, with an argument of sorts "they said it would be the best game evah, how dare them!!!".

For me, I already got my money worth out of SC.

Star Citizen will also fail on the expectations of casual players and those who look for "instant gratification" type of gameplay, the game is a simulator and when it comes to the sim part of things what for some is boring for some, is what others find fun and look for, it's overall one of the main conflictive arguments surrounding Elite Dangerous as well.
    Cotic
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    MaxBacon said:

For me, I already got my money worth out of SC.
    And this is part of the reason Croberts doesn't really care about a release date.
    When a laggy bug-infested demo is all you need to please the whales you never really need to release a game... just promise shit and whip those artists to produce more shinny jpegs!
    bartoni33

..Cake..

edited January 2018
    sgel said:
    And this is part of the reason Croberts doesn't really care about a release date.
    When a laggy bug-infested demo is all you need to please the whales you never really need to release a game... just promise shit and whip those artists to produce more shinny jpegs!
    I paid 45$ for SC, already gave me more hours of play than fully released games I paid 60$ for, same goes for many early access alpha games I played.

So I won't be part of you guys narrative, I'm not being obsessed with CIG or CR, yet on the game itself and its future updates. For me, if they grab 3.0, do a new major patch that fully focuses on optimizing and fixing up what is already there, that is a quite enjoyable game for me.

(man I triggered some people O_o)
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    CoticWalkinGlennBeansnBreadbartoni33
    edited January 2018
    Cotic said:
    That's a huge amount of dedication for $45.

Dude say he is not obsessed but has almost 5000 posts on here all about Star Citizen, 2500 on the frontier forums all about Star Citizen and god knows how many on all those other sites he frequents.
    At least I can go there and play it, those who hate yet didn't bought it have... some sort of passion I guess?

What did I not say to justify you having a go? Go read the post again. Better to just report and move on indeed, always the same thing with you.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    MaxBacon said:
    sgel said:
    I paid 45$ for SC, already gave me more hours of play than fully released games I paid 60$ for, same goes for many early access alpha games I played.

So I won't be part of you guys narrative, I'm not being obsessed with CIG or CR, yet focus on the game itself and its future updates. For me, if they grab 3.0, do a new major patch that fully focuses on optimizing and fixing up what is already there, that is a quite enjoyable game for me.
    If you're pleased with the current content that's available, I rest my case.
    Croberts didn't need to promise the BDSSE, he just needed a ridiculously minimum viable product and you guys are pleased.
    Best customers ever!

..Cake..

edited January 2018
    sgel said:
    If you're pleased with the current content that's available, I rest my case.
    Croberts didn't need to promise the BDSSE, he just needed a ridiculously minimum viable product and you guys are pleased.
    Best customers ever!
    See exactly my point.

What it shows is that what you bought and expect is the BDSSE and no less, and here's the difference with me, when I pledge for a KS, as did with many, I just want a fun game to play that lives in line with the gameplay and feature-set it was meant to have. SC does and is doing that. Why should I be mad again? Is it taking long? I have time.
    Cotic
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    6th year and over $ 1,000.00 invested, Produce or show date for game to be finished. I am not along over this and more heat and less money will be coming in.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I expect it to never fully release, rather it will remain in a perpetual state of soft launch with desired optimization being an always "just out of reach" goal.

Much aa SotA is doing, when they finally decide to declare the game released it will be mostly to change the way revenues are generated.

This will largely depend on if/when people stop showing a willingness to continue to fund the game pre-launch, which I guessing will start to taper off in the next year or so.

It will never fully deliver on all of its promised feature set, though the company and its supporters will try and present it as doing so.

Many players will enjoy whatever is delivered (some already do), others will hate it matter what is released and the majority will give it a short try, find it not to their liking for "reasons" and move on.

It aleady is a gaming legend, but it will never be legendary.

B)

PhaserlightEponyxDamorOrinoriScotchUp

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ArillixArillix Member UncommonPosts: 88

ErillionWalkinGlennOrinori
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    I'm not sure what those videos have to do with the topic at hand, did you perhaps mean to post them in a different thread?
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,295
    Cotic said:
    I'm not sure what those videos have to do with the topic at hand, did you perhaps mean to post them in a different thread?
    I think he means that he expected such videos from Star Citizen. And got them.

Have fun
    Orinori
  • CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 268
    Erillion said:
    Cotic said:
    I think he means that he expected videos from Star Citizen. And got them.

Have fun
    I see. I wish getting some videos of the game would fulfil my expectations as well. That would be swell.
    bartoni33kikoodutroa8
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    That when it is released it does not lag to death. So far based on what I have watched they have a long way to go still.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited January 2018
    I'll go with what this Forbes guy is going with:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2018/01/08/the-top-upcoming-video-games-of-2018-and-beyond

"Star Citizen

Release Date: TBA

Platforms: PC

Ha, yeah right. This game isn't coming out in 2018 and I'd be surprised if it comes out in 2019, either. At this point, with no end in sight and a lawsuit hounding RSI, it's possible this will be the most expensive vaporware of all time. Hope everyone is enjoying their digital space ships that may or may not ever be part of an actual game. I mean, I really do want this game to succeed and be amazing, but it's starting to look more and more like a myth. Like, which will release first: Half-Life 3 or Star Citizen?"

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I'm of two minds with Star Citizen. So I've backed 12 or 13 crowdfunded projects now. I've never had one that didn't end up getting made. None have delivered on time, though. So when it comes to timing, I'm not concerned. I would prefer to shelf it until it's done anyway, to be honest. 

In retrospect, I think that what I would have preferred to see, from a business model would be SQ42 first and then build SC off of that. Building something like Star Citizen is a significant effort, and we're seeing that. It's one of the primary reasons that Star Citizen remains so contentious. However, if you build your single-player game first and roll the profits from that into something larger (like Star Citizen) then people get something in their hands more quickly and it inspires more confidence. Even something massive like Elite: Dangerous went a route similar to that, deliverying their base game up-front and then extending it 2 or 3 times after that with features from their original pitch (and they made those DLC, so more money to continue development). 

Star Citizen is an anomaly and it's not likely that you'll see it reproduced. I read yesterday that in 2017, Star Citizen raised DOUBLE the money of all 700 Kickstarter game projects of 2017. That's retarded! So, from an expectations perspective, I cannot see it NOT being built. Also, I actually care very little about what that timeline looks like because I try my best not to test games anymore. My expectation is that the game will be done when it's perfect in the eyes of CR or funding is less than payroll. That being said, the release of Alpha 3 at least gives people who need to see something that tangible validation that something is happening. 
    ConstantineMerusEponyxDamorKyleran

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Wizardry said:
    No to incredible game.
    It will have boring quests and a space station to walk around,after players get bored of that ,likely 1-3 weeks,all they have for a game is to fly around and pvp or do boring repeat quests.

Early on a couple employees claimed Chris was doing nothing more than play Mr.Hollywood director,it looks exactly like that is what he has been doing.
    The little the game ha going for it has proven to me that they spent 90% resources on Mr.Hollywood and cash shop assets,very little on the game.
    if you notice ,they tried to justify tons of money disappearing and wasting so much tiem by making videos telling us of literally every line of code they are working on,stuff EVERY developer does.So common everyday ,expected work,they are trying to make it sound like they are going above and beyond and being held back because they are doing so much ,,yada yada.

Imo the game wil be so boring,it won't be anymore intriguing than Eve online,just a new hangout similar to the transition of H1Z1 to PubG,just same old same old.

...cause you know.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    that it will never release.
    Phaserlight

Joined - July 2004

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    OP:

If you form expectations around something you do not have control over is that a good idea?
    EponyxDamor

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Still going on about this game. yrs in the making, cost of buying ships was a put off, when or if this game does release (after milking the die hard fanbois) it will not be worth buying as it probably would require a couple of 1000 £'s to buy it. Then even if it does release the game would be well dated and look old.
  • OrinoriOrinori Member RarePosts: 751
    Will it release in a timely fashion and be an incredible game?  Will it launch 10 years from now and be a historic flop?  Something in between?
    No it will not release in a timely fashion. Being an incredible game is entirely subjective, I imagine there will be a lot of people, the type of people who only want to play as legolas, will probably buy the game and then proceed to tell everyone how horrible it is. I imagine others like myself will have a great time in a space sim sandbox type game.

Historic flop? how could that be possible when so much entertainment has already been had inside and outside of the game. As the cat said, game is already a legend. I didn't really understand the difference between the legendary thing /shrug.