Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Griefers costing me rl money ?

2»

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    edited January 2018
    Yeah f*ck this game. It's built for masochists.
    TheScavengerWalkinGlenn
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    daarco said:
    Why would this be a problem, we usually pay 15 bucks a month to be greifed.
    How would 25 buck for 12 mounths be a bad thing?
    I have never paid to be griefed.

Difference between ganking and griefing.
    TheScavenger

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    daarco said:
    Why would this be a problem, we usually pay 15 bucks a month to be greifed.
    How would 25 buck for 12 mounths be a bad thing?
    I have never paid to be griefed.

Difference between ganking and griefing.
    It was the point that you usually pay for either B)
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    My understanding is that after being killed once you can't lose anymore spirit for 2.5 hours. So you cannot get camped.

The direct counter to griefing is if he did kill you 'many' times he would lose exponentially more play time when he gets killed/imprisoned. So while everyone will lose a little play time due to getting killed in general, a griefer will lose a lot more. This balances the practical reality that he is imposing on your playstyle.

You also have to take into account the OPC feature, which means a griefer can never log off. He can't enter a settlement and is vulnerable 24 hours a day. Unlike in other mmos where a griefer can log in/off when it is to his advantage.
    Yeah that kind of system is flat out stupid IMO, a griefer should be able to log off the same as everyone or the game should be made like rust.

And cant enter a settlement this is stupid, the only way this should happen is if a griefer murders lets say 20 people and a person survives to tell the NPC merchant which acts as the police no survivors no penalty for a griefer.

If your going to have a type of Anti Griefing system at least make it realistic if there are no survivors there is no one to tell the tale.
    YashaX
  • daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275
    You have skills to investigate and track "murderers" and to bring them to justice.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited January 2018
    Renoaku said:
    My understanding is that after being killed once you can't lose anymore spirit for 2.5 hours. So you cannot get camped.

The direct counter to griefing is if he did kill you 'many' times he would lose exponentially more play time when he gets killed/imprisoned. So while everyone will lose a little play time due to getting killed in general, a griefer will lose a lot more. This balances the practical reality that he is imposing on your playstyle.

You also have to take into account the OPC feature, which means a griefer can never log off. He can't enter a settlement and is vulnerable 24 hours a day. Unlike in other mmos where a griefer can log in/off when it is to his advantage.
    Yeah that kind of system is flat out stupid IMO, a griefer should be able to log off the same as everyone or the game should be made like rust.

And cant enter a settlement this is stupid, the only way this should happen is if a griefer murders lets say 20 people and a person survives to tell the NPC merchant which acts as the police no survivors no penalty for a griefer.

If your going to have a type of Anti Griefing system at least make it realistic if there are no survivors there is no one to tell the tale.
    Realistic? In a game world where players resurrect from the dead, enabling them to tell everyone who killed them?

I've seen few MMORPGs which put the proper amount of risk on the side of the griefer, they usually can attack with near impunity with little to lose.

I've no real sympathy for pseudo psycopaths, they deserve to get whatever justice game makers can devise.

;)
    StaalBurgher

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Renoaku said:

Yes well, the game mechanics have to take into account the reality that the player has no real fear which skews motivations/actions in-game. 

I mean I would love a more realistic mechanic but no one idea how to implement. Feel free to suggest an alternative.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Renoaku said:

That’s just it.  Nobody in the game can log out.  The theory is that your character will remain in the world as an OPC.  That’s why this will be a griefers paradise.  And not even just griefers.  Remember this is a territory control PvP game with looting.  Wait until Joe The Blacksmith logs in and finds out what Seamus McCrotchface did to his town and all the people in it over night while they were sleeping. Mr McCrotchface isn’t going to care if his spark only lasts for 3 months.  That’s 3 months of tears.

You think an AI or using scripts is going to magically turn your logged off character into something close to a live/thinking human being?  No way.  To me that’s always been one of the more far fetched concepts this game is built around.  

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    edited January 2018
    If human beings were not by nature quite capable of very nasty things this might work but the ideas in this game seem to need just a few people to completely chase away most but the truly dedicated. I guess those who enjoy this type of game will be happy. Cannot see this game attracting a lot of players or rather keeping the ones it attracts.

• WalkinGlennWalkinGlenn Member RarePosts: 451
    I didn't know this mechanic existed. Sounds awesome. This game is on my list now.
    MaxBaconStaalBurgher
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    kitarad said:
    If human beings were not by nature quite capable of very nasty things this might work but the ideas in this game seem to need just a few people to completely chase away most but the truly dedicated. I guess those who enjoy this type of game will be happy. Cannot see this game attracting a lot of players or rather keeping the ones it attracts.
    It's going to be ultra niche, which is why big investors are avoiding it. My prediction is that if they launch the way they are proposing it will be changed within a year after they realize they just don't have the playerbase to keep  the game sustainable. Everyone has to learn the hard way I guess.
    SpottyGekko
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Renoaku said:

That’s just it.  Nobody in the game can log out.  The theory is that your character will remain in the world as an OPC.  That’s why this will be a griefers paradise.  And not even just griefers.  Remember this is a territory control PvP game with looting.  Wait until Joe The Blacksmith logs in and finds out what Seamus McCrotchface did to his town and all the people in it over night while they were sleeping. Mr McCrotchface isn’t going to care if his spark only lasts for 3 months.  That’s 3 months of tears.

You think an AI or using scripts is going to magically turn your logged off character into something close to a live/thinking human being?  No way.  To me that’s always been one of the more far fetched concepts this game is built around.  

I suspect if his parents had chosen a better surname, Seamus wouldn't have been teased as much in grade school and turned out hating the world. 
    StaalBurgherConstantineMerusEponyxDamor
    --------------------------------------------
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Wrong game for you OP just stop now.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Renoaku said:

I suspect if his parents had chosen a better surname, Seamus wouldn't have been teased as much in grade school and turned out hating the world. 
    Sadly, in Elyria one must pay money to reserve ones Surname. Seamus’s parents were just normal not “whales” and thus McCrotchface was born. 
    WellspringKyleranEponyxDamor

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• mystichazemystichaze Member UncommonPosts: 378
    edited January 2018
    So help me out here. If some griefer decides to separate my soul from my body i lost two hours of play time in a spirit penalty. If i get camped i can lose days ?

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/blog/348/Design-Journal-4-Incapacitation-Spirit-Walking-and-Permadeath

https://chroniclesofelyria.gamepedia.com/Death

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/3109/thoughts-griefing-paying-for-lives-etc#post33738

These links might better help you understand the full concept of Permadeath in Elyria Torin.  It is not as cut and dry as some might believe. I know for myself it was one of my biggest concerns before pledging to the community since I am always dying in other MMORPGs. However, after a lot of research and a better understanding of the game, I am no longer as concerned. :)

Hope this helps. 
    Renoaku said:

Hmm... I think he was moaning that it would be too hard on griefers!
    mystichaze
    Renoaku said:

And the way I read it... he believed the inability to log out only applied to "griefers".  If that were the case then YES it would penalize them.   Instead... as I stated in your quoted post: Nobody can log out.   So Seamus McCrotchface is going to have a target rich environment.

YashaX

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Renoaku said:

And the way I read it... he believed the inability to log out only applied to "griefers".  If that were the case then YES it would penalize them.   Instead... as I stated in your quoted post: Nobody can log out.   So Seamus McCrotchface is going to have a target rich environment.

Sounds like the Wushu system with OPC. When killed offline as an opc it wasn’t like being killed when in game, a lot less harsh almost nothing. 

Not it being able to log off works great for making people THINK is this kill worth it. Customs and cultures can form from this.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Certainly but the non-griefers are not the ones getting the heavy penalties when they do get killed. Also the non-griefers are more likely to be in populated areas. It is not like everyone is standing in the wild randomly. You have to look at the system holistically.
    mystichaze