Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

most-of-the-real-mmo-players-are-gone-from-this-site

1235»

Comments

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    There's a metric shit-ton of people that are interested in "real MMORPGs" (including myself), but there are none to play atm, and there hasn't really been a really decent one for ages.  There's only so long the "real MMORPG players" can complain about how there is nothing to play.
    KyleranAlBQuirky
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    thunderC said:
    OP's WTF count is up to 25. I could have only dreamed of numbers like that with my April 2015 thread titled R.I.P Joffery Baatheon 2011-2014 or this dandy from May 2017  Gnomes -Halflings-Little people Tolkien did it wrong  (Hilarious thread of lore rage)

GRATS OP

In using my example of the high school:
    With all the older students gone and you asked the replacement second graders what they think.... You would get WTF..... Right ?..... Am I right ?
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    thunderC said:
    OP's WTF count is up to 25. I could have only dreamed of numbers like that with my April 2015 thread titled R.I.P Joffery Baatheon 2011-2014 or this dandy from May 2017  Gnomes -Halflings-Little people Tolkien did it wrong  (Hilarious thread of lore rage)

GRATS OP

In using my example of the high school:
    With all the older students gone and you asked the replacement second graders what they think.... You would get WTF..... Right ?..... Am I right ?
    You are collecting WTFs because you continue to insult people over their gaming preferences, even if indirectly.

While LOLs are often used to express disagreement, WTFs are pretty much used to show outright displeasure or even outrage with what you've posted.

Collecting them is not a badge of honor.

MrMelGibsonAmathe

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• BLNXBLNX Member UncommonPosts: 275
    edited January 2018

delete5230 said:
    Kyleran said:
    delete5230 said:
    Gorwe said:
    So...now I'm an MMO fashionista. Lovely, just lovely. <3

It depends on your history.  Do you like to play in playground games ?  

ESO, FF14, GW2, BDO if so yes.
    I'm curious, what MMORPG does one have to be playing to not qualify as a fashionista.   What game are you playing for that matter.

How about me, "I don't often play MMORPGS, but when I do, I play EVE" (being the 2nd most interesting man in the world) ;)

Not playing one right now, but for the first half of 2017 I played classic rules DAOC, am I a "real" gamer?

BTW, I dont play any of those 4 games you mentioned as I dislike their action style combat,  a bit "too difficult" for me to deal with considering my reflexes and lack of attention.

This one is easy, your a true mmorpg player. I knew this all along.  

Not that qualify as a fashionista ?..... None, even the classics.  A few emulator games and maybe EVE, but I never played that one.

In the King's Court, I choose to be the Jester.
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    The old school* crowd in today's generation is just as big as it was in the previous.

In the previous generation, the EQ era, the twitch gamer market couldnt be plumbed by the day's mmo tech (latency sucked). So they lost out big.

Now it can, so they once again dominate the market. 

*Mario and CoD have always outsold Final Fantasy and Civilization. Twitch is far more popular than turn based. The only change between the last eras was in which segment was more easily servicable.
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861
    I just realized...

I guess I'm not playing real MMOs. In fact, they are an illusion. This got me thinking...is this the matrix? is anything real? When I play my chosen MMOs, I think I am playing an MMO...but is it actually REAL? Does it really exist? Or is it all in my mind and part of the machine?

Hmmm...maybe this thread is onto something....

You fool!  Don't you get it?  Re-read the title of this discussion.  The real players are gone.  Don't you understand what that means? 

The games are real but YOU are an illusion.  You, I and everyone playing MMOs are just a figment in the imagination of some highly advanced being.  The moment any one of us realizes this he/she dissipates in a swirling vortex of arrarraaaaarghghghgh help me fading help arrrarahgh

Velifax
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    One could look at the Earth as the matrix.  We are all trapped on the earth.  We may be providing energy or something we don't realize to some other being like cells, microbes, etc. do for our bodies.  We can break out into outer space, but it really isn't habitable for us.

Another way to look at it is there are multiple dimensions similar to a computer screen.  The two screens are right next to one another.  Each has a game world running, but one cannot jump from one screen to another screen.  Everything is trapped inside its own computer.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    I just realized...

I guess I'm not playing real MMOs. In fact, they are an illusion. This got me thinking...is this the matrix? is anything real? When I play my chosen MMOs, I think I am playing an MMO...but is it actually REAL? Does it really exist? Or is it all in my mind and part of the machine?

Hmmm...maybe this thread is onto something....

You fool!  Don't you get it?  Re-read the title of this discussion.  The real players are gone.  Don't you understand what that means? 

The games are real but YOU are an illusion.  You, I and everyone playing MMOs are just a figment in the imagination of some highly advanced being.  The moment any one of us realizes this he/she dissipates in a swirling vortex of arrarraaaaarghghghgh help me fading help arrrarahgh

No, the real mmo players are out roaming the streets looking for food and a real mmorpg to play.
    KyleranMrMelGibson
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    It doesn't appeal to "everyone," it just appeals to a lot more people.

Also, and frankly, MMORPGs are getting more and more boring.  These days, most games being released are simply aping the ideas of other games, slapping on a different graphical interface, and trying to hype and sell you on the same idea "again."

The games are too derivative - even blatantly so, these days.  If you were one of those players fortunate to have enjoyed the 99-2004 growth of the genre (pre-EQ2/WoW), then most games being released these days are derivative and feel like a rerelease of older games with graphics engine or UI updates.

After a decade (or more) of derivative game releases, "we' got tired of it and started investing more in other genres.  Team Based Shooters, MOBAs, ARPGs, etc.

Also, console gaming is as big as ever, and sometimes it's nice to play from the couch or bed.
  • DiscipledOneDiscipledOne Member UncommonPosts: 103
    I've been playing MMO's since I was a kid in the 90's, I still come here though...
    ShaddyDaddy
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    I think it must be said that even though this site is called mmorpg.com, it covers a lot of non-mmorpg games and a lot of us still come simply to keep up to date on releases and announcements for those.
    MrMelGibson
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Darksworm said:
    I think it must be said that even though this site is called mmorpg.com, it covers a lot of non-mmorpg games and a lot of us still come simply to keep up to date on releases and announcements for those.
    Personally I'm glad they branched out.  I'm an mmo player, but also a gamer that plays lots of other genres.  Having info in one spot for multiply platforms makes it my main gaming site.  Before it was just my main mmo site.
    klash2deflaserit
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Scambug said:
    Millennials don't have the patience to play slow progression, old school MMOs. They need their instant gratification gaming where they can just pop in, get their fix after 20 mins and pop out. 

If you really need to find a culprit, it's the internet itself and all the social, cultural changes it brings with it.

Don't slam the millennials for having ADHD and ruining our MMOs, it's not their fault. This was inevitable and will only get worse with time as the internet becomes more and more pervasive.

Old farts like myself who played the first or second generation MMOs just quit the genre because the games no longer deliver the goods: that sense of satisfaction you got from reaching goals that were time consuming and not even necessarily always fun.

Why are people always blaming millennials for things they dislike or for ruining X, Y, and Z. 

I just don't get it. Perhaps times have changed, I barely play MMO's now, is it because of instant gratification crap? No, it is because they are all the same, no innovation, similar concepts, they bore the hell out of me.

Perhaps you're not seeing the same reward because the games have lost their novelty, perhaps you have changed. 

Did you ever look to see of the awesome things that the millennial generation do? Well, I don't know either, but I am sure if one were to study it, they'd see a lot of positives :)

Peace.

Cryomatrix
    P.s. I was born in 1981 and I think millennials may come from (1982 - 2004). So I guess I'm technically not one . . . but I consider myself one and I'm damn proud of it :)

KyleranBLNX[Deleted User]klash2def
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,171

Why are people always blaming millennials for things they dislike or for ruining X, Y, and Z. 

It's their turn to be blamed for societal changes previous generations aren't happy with.

That's alright. In due time it will be their turn to blame a future generation for societal changes yet to come that they in turn won't be happy with.

It is a long standing tradition.
    AlBQuirkyCryomatrixVelifax
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Unpopular opinion but I think the future of the MMOG will be on consoles.

Because that's where most of the gaming market is now. Sony PS, Microsoft XB, and now Nintendo is super back in the mix with the Switch.

I will always believe PC is the superior gaming product (in all ways) but if you look most PC games are console ports. Means these games are on console first. I think we are going to see something similar with MMOG yes including MMORPGs in the future. It hasn't happened yet but the framework or blueprint is there for games Like ESO, Destiny, Neverwinter, Tera, DCUO, Skyforge etc all being on the console.

Its no longer "console supported", MMOs are being made with console in mind. That's reality. The people who want traditional MMO play are a super niche and not even comparable to the people who enjoy the "new MMO" style. 

I will keep saying it. It's time to face the music with MMORPGs and MMOs as we knew them to be. I spent hours on this site debating with people about how things are changing.  It does not matter what you think the term means.. its never going back to how it was. It's getting to the point where nature is gonna just do its job and you will be forced to let the year 2001 go for good.

I say this as someone who started MMOs with Runescape - EQ in 2002. Let it go. Change is good.

It's not all bad, it might turn out to be a good thing. We are at a turning point. We are going to see a lot of innovation during the next 5-10 years which for me is exciting. 

Again look at games like Destiny and ESO for hints of what the future may hold. We aren't there yet but again the blueprint has been laid. 

I own a PS4 Pro, XB1s, Nintendo Switch, and PC. I play my PC the most, but tbh I'm having the best multiplayer experiences on my XB1 and PS4. That used to be an itch only PC MMOs gave me. No longer. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear.