Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's Choice 2017 - The Best Overall MMO - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    And people think MMORPG's aren't dying.
  • saallesaalle Member CommonPosts: 1
    ESO,this game turn from ugly duck to beautiful swan.Even though i love GW2 and Warframe,none of those game can keep me engaged into gameplay like ESO do.
  • NStunnerNStunner Member CommonPosts: 1
    Eso ofc.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I voted ESO

I don't play any of the games on the list so my vote is based purely on content released, reviews of that content and general health of the player population. ESO, GW2 and FFXIV all seemed to have good years in terms of content but ESO just seems to have more momentum and their content seems quite diverse. 

Destiny 2 and The Division are not MMOs, why are they on the list?

Warframe I've never bothered looking into. I never thought it was an MMO, just another loot shooter right? If the people here are to be believed, its doing a good job and is better than Destiny, but its not an MMO. Whats the player cap in the game?
    YashaX
  • SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    None of the above.
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Coolit said:

I play both ESO and FFXIV and feel they both had a great year. Stormblood represented better value than Morrowind having vastly more content and I still think FFXIV is ahead on polish however that's not to say ESO isn't a polished experience, it's just not as polished.

If Zenimax had focused a little more on polish and had a larger expansion/chapter that rivaled WoW or FFXIV's expansions then it would have been VERY VERY hard to call. As a result I voted for FFXIV this year.

I play both as well and feel the same as you, except flip ESO and FFXIV around. Personal preferences are funny that way.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    My vote is for EQ1, if it was an option.
    --------------------------------------------
  • KGdioKGdio Member UncommonPosts: 7
    The best game on the list is a 4 player co-op game.... Says a lot about the MMO industry.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    edited January 2018
    I won't vote on this list because there are at least two games there that I do not consider to be MMO's. One is Warframe and the other is Destiny 2. I have played both. I have played many MMO's and neither of those two I just mentioned are MMO's.
    GeezerGamer

Let's party like it is 1863!

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Tough choice for me, both GW2 and ESO released awesome x-pack, but in the end I picked ESO.
    YashaX
  • xcvx73xcvx73 Member UncommonPosts: 33
    ESO for sure. If they will launch a REAL Expansion ( not like Morrowind in terms of content) ESO will win in 2018 too.
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    With the new final fantasy expansion- They get my vote- it was a close call between them and EVE online

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I voted ESO

I don't play any of the games on the list so my vote is based purely on content released, reviews of that content and general health of the player population. ESO, GW2 and FFXIV all seemed to have good years in terms of content but ESO just seems to have more momentum and their content seems quite diverse. 

Destiny 2 and The Division are not MMOs, why are they on the list?

Warframe I've never bothered looking into. I never thought it was an MMO, just another loot shooter right? If the people here are to be believed, its doing a good job and is better than Destiny, but its not an MMO. Whats the player cap in the game?
    Not sure if the player cap in Destiny is 3 or 6, but its a really low number, so yes, definitely not an MMO by any stretch of the imagination.
    YashaX
  • VantonxVantonx Member CommonPosts: 9
    ESO really? I've never been so bored as when I breezed through eso. Ffxiv actually has difficult, fun group content.
  • VantonxVantonx Member CommonPosts: 9

Torval said:

Sovrath said:

Black Desert online. I'm not sure why the hate for fake news stigma is, but it is the best mmo ever made to date. If people try and skim through it to create their negative opinion thats on them and they ar emissing out on an actual game world, not a theme park.

Everytime I log in, I'm continually learning new things about mechanics and the world. One of the most epic games ever created. Combat and skill usage, bestI;ve used, and time of the skill bar to cue skills is over. I could never go back to a hotbar game again. Almost ever skill I can press a keyboard combination like Shift+ f or rmb +lmb to perform skills and combos.

Black Desert online, nothing like it on the market.

IT's certainly an amazing game. I do have my issues with it but it's one of the few that I have on my hard drive.

I just think Elder Scrolls Online did a very good job with content/fixes this year.

In my opinion they've nailed content size (mostly) and update pacing. I know that ZOS is working on something and it's right around the corner for release.

I know that SquareEnix and Blizzard are working on things for FF14 and WoW, but they're out there down the road in a bit, a few months, several months, or whatever. It feels a long ways off. New content in ESO never feels a long ways off. I think that adds a certain vibrancy to their title that its peers should strive for.

You're mistaken. With ffxiv they pretty much always pump out content, it might not be expansion level of scale but they add new quests, new dungeons and new segments to raids pretty frequently
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Grimtuth said:

Grimtuth said:

I voted for Warframe, despite wanting to vote for ESO or GW2. I think Digital Extremes has had an amazing year with Warframe, and the open world direction they're going with the game is bound to make it an even better 2018.

Really Bill? As managing editor of MMOrpg.com you vote for a non-mmorpg that is on a list for best MMORPG of 2017.

Sheesh... I think your vote typifies the sad state of the genre at present.

I, sadly, cannot vote for any simply because I don't play any of them anymore.

This is for best MMO. Warframe is an MMO. :) 

My apologies for the insertion of rpg in my previous post. I am very curious as to how a 4 person co-op game is a mmo. By this standard, wouldn't call of duty, overwatch, and virtually any fps and arpg be mmo's?

Warframe is universe of planets where thousands of players gather, chat, play together (in instances) and in larger zones, and when they log off the worlds, characters, and everything persist. Literally the only thing it's missing is a unified world where more players can interact at once and Eidolon took a step in that direction. And it's the direction they plan on going for the future. If anything, Warframe is more MMO now than ever before.
    Uhm no. There is no persisting world concept in warframe, it is purely lobby based with instances. Persisting character does not make a mmo. Once you play plains of Eidolon, it should be very clear that plains are just another instance with 4 players. Even Cetus is just a relay like the other relays in Warframe, and sure those has a tiny bit of mmo over it, but relays are also instances and not consistent. I would love to see Warframe going in a mmo direction and it is one of my favorite games (especially the fishing&mining in eidolon is something mmos could learn from), but it is just not a mmo - Warframe works exactly like Diablo and Path of exile which are also not mmos.
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    If GW2 did class design and skill design differently - frankly, more traditionally, it would be the best game out there. But it's such a huge thing that affects the entire game that it's hard for me to get hooked on the game and play it for more than short bits.

I voted for Secret World Legends which I'm aware isn't as feature packed as other games and likely won't win. But I'm quite enjoying it lately so it got my vote. I wouldn't be surprised if ESO won because it's got an overall good package. Although for me personally the graphics and combat are meh, so again hard for me to get hooked. However objectively it has a lot to offer - minus the stickiness factor IMO.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505

Grimtuth said:

Grimtuth said:

I voted for Warframe, despite wanting to vote for ESO or GW2. I think Digital Extremes has had an amazing year with Warframe, and the open world direction they're going with the game is bound to make it an even better 2018.

Really Bill? As managing editor of MMOrpg.com you vote for a non-mmorpg that is on a list for best MMORPG of 2017.

My apologies for the insertion of rpg in my previous post. I am very curious as to how a 4 person co-op game is a mmo. By this standard, wouldn't call of duty, overwatch, and virtually any fps and arpg be mmo's?

Warframe is universe of planets where thousands of players gather, chat, play together (in instances) and in larger zones, and when they log off the worlds, characters, and everything persist. Literally the only thing it's missing is a unified world where more players can interact at once and Eidolon took a step in that direction. And it's the direction they plan on going for the future. If anything, Warframe is more MMO now than ever before.

What I think stops CoD and Overwatch from being "MMO" in my eyes is that they don't have a real persistent state of being as a world. But yet, they do persist in the form of character progression and always being on. You have to face it, the term MMO is broader than we can ever prescribe. MMORPG, I am fine with being a bit more confined in its definition. But MMO can mean so very very much more.

I may still do a best MMORPG player's choice, where some more candidates are included, and others excluded.
    Not sure why the MMO is needed to describe mere multiplayer gaming.

It's confusing, it's arbitrary, and it's inconsistent.  All terrible traits for something that's supposed to describe something else.

Just call the list the best multiplayer RPGs, then do the list with the MMOs that are, well, actually MMOs.

Either that, or I look forward to your explaining how Divinity: Original Sin 2 didn't make this list.
    KylerankjempffScotpantaroYashaX

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    Leiloni said:
    If GW2 did class design and skill design differently - frankly, more traditionally, it would be the best game out there. But it's such a huge thing that affects the entire game that it's hard for me to get hooked on the game and play it for more than short bits.

I voted for Secret World Legends which I'm aware isn't as feature packed as other games and likely won't win. But I'm quite enjoying it lately so it got my vote. I wouldn't be surprised if ESO won because it's got an overall good package. Although for me personally the graphics and combat are meh, so again hard for me to get hooked. However objectively it has a lot to offer - minus the stickiness factor IMO.
    heh if it wasn't for SWL i probably never would have given ESO(currently playing) a shot.  never been a fan of action combat but i've always liked Secret World so i tried it when they switched and i didn't hate it.

Leiloni

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:

Grimtuth said:

Grimtuth said:

What I think stops CoD and Overwatch from being "MMO" in my eyes is that they don't have a real persistent state of being as a world. But yet, they do persist in the form of character progression and always being on. You have to face it, the term MMO is broader than we can ever prescribe. MMORPG, I am fine with being a bit more confined in its definition. But MMO can mean so very very much more.

I may still do a best MMORPG player's choice, where some more candidates are included, and others excluded.

It's confusing, it's arbitrary, and it's inconsistent.  All terrible traits for something that's supposed to describe something else.

Just call the list the best multiplayer RPGs, then do the list with the MMOs that are, well, actually MMOs.

Either that, or I look forward to your explaining how Divinity: Original Sin 2 didn't make this list.
    I do feel bad for some of you who are so easily confounded by these things. Is it difficult finding the right games to play?

Although I noticed for someone who is confused you seem to clearly be able to differentiate between various ways that MMO works for each of these games (like how WoW and EVE aren't the same kind of MMO at all).

So is it really that confusing? It doesn't seem so to me, especially with how clearly you explained it with the traits, and so succinctly too.
    Please, do give me the objective definition being applied in this list that doesn't create more issues than it solves as a genre descriptor.

Don't worry; I'll wait.
    KyleranIselinpantaroYashaX

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:

Grimtuth said:

Grimtuth said:

I do feel bad for some of you who are so easily confounded by these things. Is it difficult finding the right games to play?

Although I noticed for someone who is confused you seem to clearly be able to differentiate between various ways that MMO works for each of these games (like how WoW and EVE aren't the same kind of MMO at all).

So is it really that confusing? It doesn't seem so to me, especially with how clearly you explained it with the traits, and so succinctly too.
    Please, do give me the objective definition being applied in this list that doesn't create more issues than it solves as a genre descriptor.

Don't worry; I'll wait.
    I seem to recall a thread not all the long ago that made an attempt to define the genre descriptor. I noticed a conspicuous refusal by the genre benders to play along. So good luck with getting a straight answer.

As best as I can make out, this site changes what they include in their MMO classifications on an almost daily basis and if there ever was an editorial with a comprehensive list of what their criteria is, I missed it.

I think keeping it vague is deliberate.
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Well, since they still lack the resolve to put a None button on the poll (something their major competitor has no problem with) I went with EVE as it was the only game on the list I at least logged in on to watch Jita chat.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• josko9josko9 Member RarePosts: 577
    Easy, ESO for the 4th year straight. I don't see anyone catching up in 2018 either.
    JamesGoblin
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    Im sorry but Destiny 2 doesn't belong in the MMO category. Ontop of that, it was horrible. Doesn't belong on the list.

uriel_mafessJamesGoblinYashaX
  • uriel_mafessuriel_mafess Member UncommonPosts: 148
    edited January 2018
    I dont understand why FIFA 17 isnt in the list. I mean seeing how any game with at least 4 co-op with lobby chats and saveable progression is considered MMO (wrongly by any definition of Massively Multiplayer Online) I think that it would be a pretty solid option.
    JamesGoblinYashaX