Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's Choice 2017 - The Best Overall MMO - MMORPG.com

Comments

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    None of the above.

The Ravenloft expansion for DDO was extremely well done.
    BillMurphy[Deleted User]Viannel

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• GrimtuthGrimtuth Member UncommonPosts: 27

Grimtuth said:

I voted for Warframe, despite wanting to vote for ESO or GW2. I think Digital Extremes has had an amazing year with Warframe, and the open world direction they're going with the game is bound to make it an even better 2018.

Really Bill? As managing editor of MMOrpg.com you vote for a non-mmorpg that is on a list for best MMORPG of 2017.

Sheesh... I think your vote typifies the sad state of the genre at present.

I, sadly, cannot vote for any simply because I don't play any of them anymore.

This is for best MMO. Warframe is an MMO. :) 

My apologies for the insertion of rpg in my previous post. I am very curious as to how a 4 person co-op game is a mmo. By this standard, wouldn't call of duty, overwatch, and virtually any fps and arpg be mmo's?
    JamesGoblinViannelAeliousMitara
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Grimtuth said:

Grimtuth said:

I voted for Warframe, despite wanting to vote for ESO or GW2. I think Digital Extremes has had an amazing year with Warframe, and the open world direction they're going with the game is bound to make it an even better 2018.

Really Bill? As managing editor of MMOrpg.com you vote for a non-mmorpg that is on a list for best MMORPG of 2017.

My apologies for the insertion of rpg in my previous post. I am very curious as to how a 4 person co-op game is a mmo. By this standard, wouldn't call of duty, overwatch, and virtually any fps and arpg be mmo's?

Warframe is universe of planets where thousands of players gather, chat, play together (in instances) and in larger zones, and when they log off the worlds, characters, and everything persist. Literally the only thing it's missing is a unified world where more players can interact at once and Eidolon took a step in that direction. And it's the direction they plan on going for the future. If anything, Warframe is more MMO now than ever before.

What I think stops CoD and Overwatch from being "MMO" in my eyes is that they don't have a real persistent state of being as a world. But yet, they do persist in the form of character progression and always being on. You have to face it, the term MMO is broader than we can ever prescribe. MMORPG, I am fine with being a bit more confined in its definition. But MMO can mean so very very much more.

I may still do a best MMORPG player's choice, where some more candidates are included, and others excluded.
    [Deleted User]triceratopthatMitaraklash2defLucienRene

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2018

Grimtuth said:

According to who? What genre of game is Warframe? Is warframe an MMO? No one else is calling it an MMO except this site. At least the winners of the best MMO for 2017 are shaping up to be real MMOs.
    Post edited by GeezerGamer on
    JamesGoblinViannelYashaXkjempffbrian-l2Viper482
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Black Desert online. I'm not sure why the hate for fake news stigma is, but it is the best mmo ever made to date. If people try and skim through it to create their negative opinion thats on them and they ar emissing out on an actual game world, not a theme park.

Everytime I log in, I'm continually learning new things about mechanics and the world. One of the most epic games ever created. Combat and skill usage, bestI;ve used, and time of the skill bar to cue skills is over. I could never go back to a hotbar game again. Almost ever skill I can press a keyboard combination like Shift+ f or rmb +lmb to perform skills and combos.

Black Desert online, nothing like it on the market.
    IT's certainly an amazing game. I do have my issues with it but it's one of the few that I have on my hard drive.

I just think Elder Scrolls Online did a very good job with content/fixes this year.

JamesGoblin[Deleted User][Deleted User]metarealBillMurphyLucienRene
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • saitohxsaitohx Member UncommonPosts: 18
    The MMO thats going to win, is obviously whoever pays the most for advertising.... Ive seen alot of Black Desert Online Ads....hint ?
    [Deleted User]ViannelInnadrilxcantskatex
  • DieseltecDieseltec Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I usually agree with Bill, but this time I have to say that WildStar and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic should also be on this list. Both games are solid MMO's.
    Mitara
  • ViannelViannel Member UncommonPosts: 2

saitohx said:

The MMO thats going to win, is obviously whoever pays the most for advertising.... Ive seen alot of Black Desert Online Ads....hint ?

Sorry this is a real democracy poll, something you folks in cali know nothing about. The winner is based on the Vote, kind of like Trump <3</div>

Hilary won the popular vote you neanderthal
    [Deleted User]infomatzVantonxBodeanGInnadriltriceratopthatMitaraJeannehail2dathiefSacrotus
  • PurplePoloPlayerPurplePoloPlayer Member UncommonPosts: 145
    I've been playing for a week now and I'm loving it. I haven't enjoyed a PvE grinder this much since Diablo 2. Normally I only play PvP games but this is a welcome break from the doldrums of Albion Online. 
    Check out my stream at www.twitch.tv/purplepoloplayer!
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Dieseltec said:
    I usually agree with Bill, but this time I have to say that WildStar and Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic should also be on this list. Both games are solid MMO's.
    They are getting beat out by games that aren't even MMOs
    YashaXJeanne
  • TabielahTabielah Member CommonPosts: 1
    I don't play any of these, since none have managed to really capture my attention for long. I played DDO for a number of years, but have graduated to Riders of Icarus. Either one of these on the list would get my vote.
    Mitara
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

Grimtuth said:

Grimtuth said:

Warframe is universe of planets where thousands of players gather, chat, play together (in instances) and in larger zones, and when they log off the worlds, characters, and everything persist. Literally the only thing it's missing is a unified world where more players can interact at once and Eidolon took a step in that direction. And it's the direction they plan on going for the future. If anything, Warframe is more MMO now than ever before.

What I think stops CoD and Overwatch from being "MMO" in my eyes is that they don't have a real persistent state of being as a world. But yet, they do persist in the form of character progression and always being on. You have to face it, the term MMO is broader than we can ever prescribe. MMORPG, I am fine with being a bit more confined in its definition. But MMO can mean so very very much more.

I may still do a best MMORPG player's choice, where some more candidates are included, and others excluded.
    If the publishers don't call it a MMO why insist on bringing it under that banner? What is wrong with having Co-op games on the site, but under their own genre heading? Would best Co-op Action Game somehow be a lesser award than best MMO? We do like Co-op games you know, I would be hard pressed to think of a gamer I know who does not like them.

The persistent world definition is too ambiguous, as you mention your self even CoD has persistent character development. I won't prescribe what a MMO is, but I will take the gaming company's word when they tell us that they did not make one.

Glad to hear Warframe is becoming more MMO-like maybe one day that's what it will become. :)

MowzerJamesGoblinIselinYashaXMadFrenchieVantonxuriel_mafess
  • MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Seems like the advertisement dollar dictated this list. I don't know how they could keep a straight face while compiling it...
    But whatever keeps the lights on eh?
    postlarvalCambruinInnadrilMitara
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    I hope we can once again see a "The Best Overall MMORPG" list in the future ... where we don't see games small player coops in the mix.
    JamesGoblinScotMitara

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:

I hope we can once again see a "The Best Overall MMORPG" list in the future ... where we don't see games small player coops in the mix.

I kind of think next year could be that way, if a lot of the MMORPGs in the making finally launch.
    JamesGoblinMitara

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Another year, another none of the above. Maybe 2018 will be different.....
    BillMurphyMitara
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.

Dieseltec said:

They're great games, but they didn't have a great year. News about SWTOR has slowed to a drip, leading many to believe that it's in its sundown phase as BioWare Austin moves to a new project. WildStar, while one of my favorites, actually IS in maintenance mode while Carbine works on a new game.
    JamesGoblin[Deleted User]ScottriceratopthatMitaraJeanne

My Review Manifesto

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I can't click anything since the only correct answer would be "none of the above." (or "Something else" would work)
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Had to vote for GW2 even though I don't have either expansion.
    It was the only game on the list I even played in 2017. (Just because I bought it at launch and it is free.)

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• aCi11i3saCi11i3s Member UncommonPosts: 54
    anyone, and sadly most, that voted for ESO must love the easy button on suckage. ESO is an epic road that leads to a stop sign. Live a little. MMO's should be and are much better than this
    Iselin[Deleted User]JamesGoblinTacticalZombeh
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    aCi11i3s said:
    anyone, and sadly most, that voted for ESO must love the easy button on suckage. ESO is an epic road that leads to a stop sign. Live a little. MMO's should be and are much better than this

que?!

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• esobaiteresobaiter Member UncommonPosts: 2
    still dont see how warframe is a mmo... is a co-op game not a mmo
    YashaX
  • NomenLuniNomenLuni Member CommonPosts: 1
    My vote goes to Secret World Legends. There are a lot of bigger games on the list with more features etc, but this has been my "go to" game for the last five and a half years and I think it's brilliant, really. I hope the new content we've been promised for 2018 lives up to what went before.
    Leiloni
  • ambroxNIambroxNI Member UncommonPosts: 2

lorddarka said:

pretty sad list of games. same content and features across the board..

It's always funny to see, how people get all worked up about their games, or philosophies. Maybe because I'm lacking missionary zeal (if that's the right word). I rather look for people who already share my views instead of trying to preach to the next guy. I can't even agree with myself most of the time. One day I can play a game for hours and believe that's a master piece, while a day later I'll log in and out again, not finding a hold.

However what makes me wonder a bit about the list, is the absence of games mentioned in the article "The 10 Best MMOs of 2017", like Path of Exile, Fortnite or PUBG.
    I couldn't care less about the discussion if those games including Warframe should be considered MMOs or not. It's the inconsistency in the games chosen which makes me scratch my head. If the mentioned games make it in the best MMOs of 2017 list, why are they not in the list for Players Choice 2017?
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblin
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    From this list I play The Division and ESO from time to time, the reason is they are available on console. But I voted for Black Desert. 

My reason is because that game has so much going on. There's always a new class, and then they awaken. Then there's news that they want to remaster a game which is already the master when it comes down to graphics and MMOs. Got so many mechanics that gives even the veterans a headache at the beginning. Every few weeks we see a topic rise on the forums about why someone thinks this game is trash which triggers the sleeper agents to arm up and defend this game. There's so much heat and passion and hatred and love involved in stories about this game. 

Reminds me of my EVE days, in a much smaller scale, but still. It's a virtual world. Hence, in my humble opinion, the best MMORPG. 

The rest are good solid games, but all lack the oomph factor. BDO got it. 

PS. the reason I don't play it is because when I started playing I realized I had to put much time into it and I want to finish my single-player games queue in the next two years or so. 
    JamesGoblin
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung