Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you chase graphics cards?

mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
edited January 2018 in Hardware
There are frequently articles about the latest amd or Nvidia graphics cards.  Usually with an associated amd vs. Intel discussion. (Which seems a waste ..... Go Nvidia

I self identify as a monkey.

Post edited by mgilbrtsn on

Comments

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    I tend to hang on to my last purchase until it dies a natural death or it's so old that it can't keep up with the games I like.  Even then I will still use it on an older computer or save it for an emergency.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    What does the title mean?

I looked up definitions of word "chase" from google, and I still don't understand how one could chase a graphic card.
    dave6660eddieg50

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    I tend to buy one step below whatever is the best laptop card is at the time of purchase and upgrade only when replacing the laptop. (Every 3 yrs or so)
    MrMelGibsonjoeyboots

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited January 2018
    Vrika said:

I looked up definitions of word "chase" from google, and I still don't understand how one could chase a graphic card.
    It would be an expression.

Most likely meant as "do you buy the latest and greatest graphics card".

I wait a bit but as soon as I start seeing issues with the games I play I upgrade.

I'm no longer satisfied with equipment that doesn't give me the results I want.

[Deleted User]Vrika
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Vrika said:

Thanks. I'd never heard that expression before.
    [Deleted User]

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Vrika said:
    Sovrath said:
    Vrika said:

It's probably mostly used in the context of "chase your dreams" or "chase the rainbow" or "Chase the wind".
    MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I am not exactly a chaser of the latest and greatest, but I like to be able to comfortably play games on PC for a long period of time.  Part of that is having games run steady without lag at 60fps.  

I have a 4K TV hooked up to my PC so it needs a lot of power to hit 60 FPS even with medium to high settings.  Depending on your 4K TV or monitor the scaling of resolutions may not be great.  For instance, on my TV scaling 1080p to 4K results in a blurry image that can cause eye strain.

Needless to say, I recently bought a pretty powerful GPU.  I tend to go for mid-range cards and if you have a 1080p TV or monitor you might get away with a GTX 1060 or 1070 to play games with mid to maxed out settings at 60 FPS or higher. 

It's always nice if you can get some power efficiency out of your graphics card and CPU as it will reduce the heat generation and noise.  The recent generation of CPUs and GPUs seem to be getting better in this regard.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    I have a simple guideline to buying new GPU's. Once i can longer hit a 55-60 or greater FPS Average I upgrade.  Currently i have a 980 ti which should last me quite a awhile.
    [Deleted User]
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Nope i usually do a full rig upgrade ever 3-5 years if i come in to money (like a tax return or other) but then again i work minimum wage so spending the cost of a decent gaming computer on a GFX card is simply.. well.. impossible
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

This have been a good conversation

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    No it just depends on what I can buy at the time I upgrade the whole machine.
    Chamber of Chains
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Its super situational for me. I recently upgraded to a very modern model because of Ark, but it is the first modern card I've bought in a decade. All depends on the gaming landscape at the time.

I even raided WoW from Vanilla through WotLK with a mediocre card. The pain...
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Vrika said:

Perhaps you should look up the word 'colloquialism.'  Might help with your dilemma.
    Velifax

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    mgilbrtsn said:
    There are frequently articles about the latest amd or Intel graphics cards.  Usually with an associated amd vs. Intel discussion. (Which seems a waste ..... Go Intel
    Here's a review of the latest Intel graphics card:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/202

Note the date:  1998.  Not this millennium, even.  So no, I sure hope people aren't still chasing Intel graphics cards.
    Clutch586mgilbrtsnRich84
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Vrika said:

Perhaps you should look up the word 'colloquialism.'  Might help with your dilemma.
    Thanks, but Sovrath explained it well enough already.

• EponyxDamorEponyxDamor Member RarePosts: 749
    I upgrade every 3-5 years when I get a new PC, so certainly not. I currently have a 980ti, however, I originally had a 980 SC; unfortunately, there was a terrible issue with EVGA's 980 OCs voltage, and I ended up upgrading to the 980ti after going through about 6 RMAs.

Typically, I buy one step down from the "top end" GPU, and I rarely, if ever, upgrade between building new PCs.

I don't see myself upgrading any time soon, either; I don't plan to play in 4K anytime soon, but when I do, that's when I will be upgrading. Currently, it would cost an arm and a leg to replace 2-3 screens with 4K screens and also upgrade GPUs to use them. Just not worth the investment for me, yet.
    I upgrade every 3-5 years when I get a new PC, so certainly not. I currently have a 980ti, however, I originally had a 980 SC; unfortunately, there was a terrible issue with EVGA's 980 OCs voltage, and I ended up upgrading to the 980ti after going through about 6 RMAs.

Typically, I buy one step down from the "top end" GPU, and I rarely, if ever, upgrade between building new PCs.

I don't see myself upgrading any time soon, either; I don't plan to play in 4K anytime soon, but when I do, that's when I will be upgrading. Currently, it would cost an arm and a leg to replace 2-3 screens with 4K screens and also upgrade GPUs to use them. Just not worth the investment for me, yet.
    I might think on upgrading when I jump into 4k or VR, but that might be some time yet.  When I see the card reviews, I get a twitch, but I don't usually bite.  Thank God, cause they are always so expensive when they first come out.
    MrMelGibsonEponyxDamor

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited January 2018
    I typically do every 2 or 3 generations. There needs to be enough of an upgrade to justify the purchase.

There have been a few occasions where I've broke that rule, if a big jump in tech comes about, if I break a card and need to replace it, or if I'm building a new rig and want to keep my old one intact.

I don't know of anyone who's ever chased Intel video cards, but that's an interesting proposition.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]EponyxDamorAsm0deus
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    I upgrade when I detect the need for upgrading from noticing the need in real world use, for example I upgrade my gpu when I notice it struggling to play a game med or max setting at 1080p, since I play on big screen tv.

Of the 3 pc's in the house one has a gtx1060 and the other two have a gtx 760.  Not in a hurry for now to upgrade the 760's as they work fine for what we do and the games we play.  The 1060 replaces a 5770 which wasn't up to par anymore.

MrMelGibson

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Are you sure you don't mean AMD vs Nvidia?
    mgilbrtsn
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Vrika said:

In some cases if you use the opposite word, it helps to understand.

For example, some people chase video cards while others escape video cards.

I have a few escape survivor stories with video cards.
    QuizzicalRidelynn

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited January 2018
    Personally I usually just use the Computer I build until it gets too outdated to work good anymore at which point I pass it off to friends / family and buy a new one, as far as graphics cards generally I use NVIDIA, because AMD always have issues with Open GL Games, although most casual gamers may not notice the difference in most games like Battle FIeld 1, for example or like League OF Legends generally modern day games use Direct X, but AMD Cards have sharder issues with certain games, in addition to games I ran with AMD Cards in general did not perform so well this was a card from years ago though that should have done better but didn't work so well so I gave it away free only used it for 5 months if that.

When I changed to NVIDIA card, it was able to perform a lot better it got calculations using older technology in certain older games correctly didn't have shader problems, I can now run PlanetSide 2 max graphics at 100+ FPS with a single 1080ti it's awesome.

Over-All I would recommend NVIDIA over AMD graphics cards until I see proof somewhere not based off what I read I want hands-on proof that AMD is better than NVIDIA or can perform about the same before I waste money on another AMD card only way I will ever buy or use another AMD card because my experience with them has always been bad.

Intel VS AMD, I used to use an AMD CPU for years the performance got really slow over-all I found that just running an I7 rather than an AM3 or AM2 socket gives me a lot better performance in games, now a lot of people tell me AMD Ryzen Threadripper is just as good because it has more cores, well I would love to get my hands on one for free just to test it running 4-5 games at once like I do such as running 3 copies of EVE, an Open GL Game & like Battlefield 1 or Black desert, while hitting 100+ FPS in my primary game with all that open.

If a Ryzen CPU, along with other hardware could pull this off then I would recommend it for sure, although personally I would rather buy an I9 CPU and spend an extra $800 for the better performance, because I have a feeling that Intel processes older code, calculations better than AMD based CPU even thread ripper.

Of course I can't know for certain without testing a Ryzen System myself not something I read online, not those benchmarks people brag about, but as far as right now I am using a i7-6700k and I am happy with it I am able to run 5+ Games at once don't go over around 19GB of memory for most games and I got 32 in this thing, the only thing I am unhappy about is the I7 security patch by microsoft completely bricked my system the other day, because it disabled the liquid pumps and fan controllers on the main board required removal of the update for them to function like they are supposed to hopefully ASUS has a fix for this shortly, but what pisses me off is how Intel knew about this security exploit for over 5+ Years they never told anyone they should be legally held accountable for damages (If the security update) bricks computers due to their ignorance.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Sovrath said:
    Vrika said:
    Sovrath said:
    Vrika said:

It's probably mostly used in the context of "chase your dreams" or "chase the rainbow" or "Chase the wind".
    Chasing after young girls is the only I have ever heard. People are mean! :(
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    My last upgrade was the RX 480 8gb when it came out. Very happy with this card.
    Jamar870 said:
    Are you sure you don't mean AMD vs Nvidia?
    Absolutely, thx for catch.

• SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 527
    I get a new system when my old one dies, or is over 5-6 years old. I always get the best bang for the buck card, that is close to the top performer, at the time i am getting the system.

And i do not care if it is nvidia or amd, just whichever card is close to the top performer  at the time i am shopping., and has the best value.

I will usually buy a new best bang card after about 3 years to upgrade my system, and that will be the only upgrade i do, barring a part that dies.

So no, i do not chase vid cards, or any other particular part that goes into my system. I figure if you get a pretty nice quality system,  you are set for a minimum of 3 years with no need to upgrade.