Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's Choice 2017 - The Best Overall MMO - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imagePlayer's Choice 2017 - The Best Overall MMO - MMORPG.com

Now that we're officially into 2018, it's time to take stock of the year and months ahead and pick your personal favorite, or Best MMO from 2017. What game had a great year? What game deserves a nod for all the content and changes it made in 2017? Log in, vote, and let's see who comes out on top this year.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• lorddarkalorddarka Member UncommonPosts: 26
    pretty sad list of games. same content and features across the board..
    PappabeardkBillMurphy3domKSibkillerqueerBrudaksynViannelviznewmouseno4Klast1989and 19 others.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited January 2018
    Voted for FFXIV. Think it will be ESO the winner again.
    Rommie10-284[Deleted User]ViannelValdheimVantonxwarsaber1375SephrinxJamesGoblin
    Chamber of Chains
  • mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 79
    My guess is ESO will take 1st place yet again. Morrowind Expansion was probably the best content release for any of those MMOs. They get my vote.
    ScottJeslisG4NK3DBrudaksynSlyLoKAhlfsVantonxjosko9khazulGrimStoneFTWAgnharand 1 other.
    skadad said:
    wheres the none of the above option?
    Just don't vote that is none of the above option  :D
    BrudaksynViannelShadanwolfFluffyCannibaljerkbeastHariken
    Chamber of Chains
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889

lorddarka said:

Yeah, I too am unable to see the difference between Warframe, EVE Online, Trove and Black Desert.
    BillMurphyRoyalValorG4NK3DScot[Deleted User]BrudaksynPhoebesViannelmklinicpostlarvaland 21 others.

Thank you for your time!

• LrdEtriusLrdEtrius Member UncommonPosts: 95

lorddarka said:

Well... this list is all about the games that didn't suck entirely. So... yeah.
    Viannel
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I think my vote should be obvious enough (for me personally). It's been a great year for Guild Wars 2 with several high quality living world releases and a phenomenal expansion.
    BillMurphyNeterPkertinScottJeslis[Deleted User]SlyLoKGrinnzv_VeInnadrilkalcaand 1 other.
  • AelosxAelosx Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Warframe honestly is the best game on the list with little to no micro transactions to actually have fun...
    BillMurphyKSibG4NK3DViannelVantonxGrinnztriceratopthatDinasty
  • TintagilTintagil Member UncommonPosts: 214
    Love it or hate it, I think it is pretty damn impressive that WoW still makes these lists.
    BillMurphyLrdEtriusKSibScottJeslisgamer2025BrudaksynAlomarPhoebesViannelinfomatzand 10 others.
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    I play both ESO and FFXIV and feel they both had a great year. Stormblood represented better value than Morrowind having vastly more content and I still think FFXIV is ahead on polish however that's not to say ESO isn't a polished experience, it's just not as polished.

If Zenimax had focused a little more on polish and had a larger expansion/chapter that rivaled WoW or FFXIV's expansions then it would have been VERY VERY hard to call. As a result I voted for FFXIV this year.
    Viannelmouseno4YaevinduskMackaveli44DWILHOITETenohira
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I voted for Warframe, despite wanting to vote for ESO or GW2. I think Digital Extremes has had an amazing year with Warframe, and the open world direction they're going with the game is bound to make it an even better 2018.
    PurplePoloPlayerViannelSixliYashaXGilcroixEponyxDamortriceratopthatdotdotdashKimo

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

mikeb0817 said:

My guess is ESO will take 1st place yet again. Morrowind Expansion was probably the best content release for any of those MMOs. They get my vote.

It was decent.

Though Black desert is more my cup of tea I voted Elder Scrolls Online as I think they've done the best job this year.
    ViannelAhlfsdotdotdash
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • tjakopantjakopan Member UncommonPosts: 1
    None of the above. Wildstar!
    bartoni33NeterPLrdEtriusSekmetaVyethViannelTintagilSecchan314Ahlfsgunklackerand 9 others.
  • NeterPNeterP Member UncommonPosts: 11
    GW2 for me this year. Path of Fire Expansion was really good, story and exploration wise which is my thing in MMO’s.
    AeanderTillerkalcaloulakisoulfracture
  • berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345
    Even after I stopped playing. My vote is on ESO
    BrudaksynAhlfspokrak

Beta tester maniac

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    Warframe as the best game, but it is still not a mmo and the list is not a mmo list so I will not click a choice.
    ScotViannelShadanwolf
  • VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Zenimax started off as noobs to the Elder Scrolls experience but now are pros at it. Clockwork City shows you just how much they have matured over the years and the game is only going to get better going forward.

They've shown dedication and I'm sure the game will be around for some time, never too late to jump in.
    BrudaksynmetarealinfomatzpostlarvalSecchan314TacticalZombehAhlfsWheres-My-SoupoOMrSmileOoInnadriland 4 others.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited January 2018
    The publishers of Warframe and The Division do not describe their games as MMOs, though they do use "RPG". Looking forward to a separate 'The Best Co-op Action/RPG of 2018'. :)

ESO for me, the best AAA MMO out there, but I understand the cash shop has become a bit of a liability.
    JamesGoblinRhygarth
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    I'll skip voting this year.

Even if the contest was "best MMO among these" I haven't played any of them in the past 12 months so I would not be qualified to vote.

I'm sad though that it is "best MMO". It's like a slap in the face, saying "yes, if you don't like these, there is nothing better out there, so stop looking".
    ViannelAhlfsjosko9JamesGoblinShadanwolfMitara
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Hey, there's actually couple MMOs on the list. Cool!
    BrudaksynAlomarPhoebesScotkjempffpercoYashaXuriel_mafessMitaraAzaron_Nightblade
     W...aaagh?
  • Baebae937Baebae937 Member CommonPosts: 1
    Where's archeage on this list?
    JamesGoblinViannelInnadril
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I voted Crowfall!! Ohh, wait.....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• GrimtuthGrimtuth Member UncommonPosts: 27

I voted for Warframe, despite wanting to vote for ESO or GW2. I think Digital Extremes has had an amazing year with Warframe, and the open world direction they're going with the game is bound to make it an even better 2018.

Really Bill? As managing editor of MMOrpg.com you vote for a non-mmorpg that is on a list for best MMORPG of 2017.

Sheesh... I think your vote typifies the sad state of the genre at present.

I, sadly, cannot vote for any simply because I don't play any of them anymore.
    AlomarAeanderJamesGoblinViannelkjempffBodeanG
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Grimtuth said:

Really Bill? As managing editor of MMOrpg.com you vote for a non-mmorpg that is on a list for best MMORPG of 2017.

This is for best MMO. Warframe is an MMO. :) 
    [Deleted User]cheyaneJamesGoblinSixlikjempffEponyxDamorInnadriltriceratopthatklash2defjimbobfurleyand 1 other.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Grimtuth said:

It's best MMO not MMORPG .
    [Deleted User]
    Chamber of Chains