Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Player's Choice 2017 - The Most Wanted MMO - General Awards

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I need a game that is good under the hood,i don't like Corvette's with a 4 cylinder engine.

At one time,anything out of Asia unless Square or Capcom was terrible,now,nothing good comes from over there.
    EA still a giant,loads of money but a corrupt business,won't support them.Amazon..lmao,not a chance.

There is a reason i decided to go back and play some EQ2 and play more Hearthstone than i care to,i give up waiting for a good game,i see games getting worse not better.

I think many of us that truly want to see a return to a good mmorpg pray to god Pantheon can deliver,i am very skeptical.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Here is an example,how many games can you say have cities as big as Freeport or Qeynos?geesh i get lost in Qeynos.Then there is all the npc's that talk and shake their booty or scour at you,you can see the passion in those earlier games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Monster World. Literally none of those interest me and I chose randomly.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Phry said:
    Sick of pvp and arcade style gameplay.  Pantheon's pve focus on slower paced coop gameplay suits me nicely.
    Not sure that describes Pantheon all that well, its more often described as being hard core cooperative, it all sounds very much like Wildstar, i don't think that anyone really wants a 'hard core' game anymore, they like the sound of it, but i think the reality of it might be disappointing.
    Pantheon is really nothing like wildstar. Conceptually, it would be hard for two games in the same genre to be any different. Wildstar brand of hardcore is mostly instanced dungeon running with steep skill checks. If Pantheon were to be described as hardcore, it's because of it's relation to first generation mmos that required more player cooperation and had steeper death penalties. There will of course be skill requirements, but games like EQ and Vanguard were gated by time devotion as much as anything.

• tielovoutielovou Member CommonPosts: 1
    Voted.

Pantheon! So excited for this game!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    To be honest, not looking forward to anything new in mmoRPGs.  I wish city of heroes would return somehow.  I actually am looking forward to Classic wow when it comes out which isn't likely to be soon./
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    Well, there's no guarantee that any of these games will be out in 2018 (at least as far as any of us know :p).... So I'll say the MMORPG I'm most looking forward to in 2018 is Pantheon.

The VR folks have been very open and forthright about how things are going, and have hosted a number of streams to allow the community to take a look at how the game is coming along, even how the game comes together (behind-the-scenes stuff).

I remain cautiously optimistic (impossible not to have some doubt with all the disappointments in the past years), but Pantheon is certainly one I'm very much looking forward to.

My second choice would be Camelot Unchained. Mark and his team at CityState are also putting together a very intriguing looking game.
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    All those new 1-post-only accounts voting for Pantheon remind me of what Bree Royce of MassivelyOP said (replying to "These polls are always ruined by brigading...)

"This is why we note they’re just for fun and don’t use them for actually handing out awards! We had too many ruined by brigading and cheaters and studios outright bribing players to come vote to make it worth it for us to put any stock in them."
    http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/22/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-best-indie-or-crowdfunded-mmo/#comment-510365

...Speaking of which, their reader's most anticipated MMO for 2018 is...please don't laugh...Shroud of the Avatar!
    IselinConstantineMerus
     W...aaagh?
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    Tirent000 said:
    Star citizen! Should this be next year's vote XD (Just kidding)
    By the time SC launches this will be what the hopeful playerbase looks like.

JamesGoblinVicNuggets
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• bamwallabamwalla Member UncommonPosts: 221
    Wow, had forgotten about a lot of those titles.... I voted Monster Hunter just because the game looks cool/fun... Ashes looks pretty sweet too though... Plus I have little interest in a lot of the rest and there's quite a few that won't be a 2018 release. That's my two cents... (before tax)
  • ConjConj Member UncommonPosts: 1
    And yet another year with no EverQuest 3. Deeply saddened. Voted Bless Online.
  • sarielissarielis Member UncommonPosts: 25
    All those new 1-post-only accounts voting for Pantheon remind me of what Bree Royce of MassivelyOP said (replying to "These polls are always ruined by brigading...)

"This is why we note they’re just for fun and don’t use them for actually handing out awards! We had too many ruined by brigading and cheaters and studios outright bribing players to come vote to make it worth it for us to put any stock in them."
    http://massivelyop.com/2017/12/22/massively-ops-best-of-2017-awards-best-indie-or-crowdfunded-mmo/#comment-510365

...Speaking of which, their reader's most anticipated MMO for 2018 is...please don't laugh...Shroud of the Avatar!

its actually becoming a good game
    JamesGoblin
  • SBE1SBE1 Member UncommonPosts: 340
    You know what would be interesting (to me), the same list with how long they have been in development. Doesn't it normally take about 5-7 years to make a decent MMO?
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Well, I voted for Dual Universe.  Not because I'm thinking it might be good, but a friend likes this type of stuff.  And there's a lack of SF titles in the overall MMORPG picture.

I'm less convinced that any of the listed games will release in 2018.  I feel that we're in year 2 or 3 of a development cycle in the entire MMO genre.  I would be more prone to believe that we'll see a lot of games in 2019 and 2020.

On the subject of 'released', I'm not one to count any form of testing or development as 'released', no matter if the company has found a way to make money before a game is finished.  When ongoing development work on the base product stops, I'll count it as released, not before.

To any developers who happen to be reading this.  Don't hurry on our account.  We'd rather have a solid game with plenty of ideas over a slap-dash effort.  Take your time.  Do a good job.  Quality will be rewarded.

Cendharia

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    edited January 2018
    Torval said:
    Tiller said:
    Tirent000 said:
    Star citizen! Should this be next year's vote XD (Just kidding)
    By the time SC launches this will be what the hopeful playerbase looks like.

Don't lie, that's secret footage of the Pantheon alpha test group. :lol:
    Which one is Nanfoodle?  Maybe they will let us vote on that!
    TillerJamesGoblin

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    If Conquerors Blade is on the list then Mount&Blade Bannerlord should be too, I voted for CB due M&B BL absence.
  • NizamuhdeenNizamuhdeen Member UncommonPosts: 3
    ASHES OF CREATION. Everything else is just trash on this list
    JamesGoblinSiugCendharia
  • RisingDemiseRisingDemise Member CommonPosts: 1
    Ashes of Creation. Easy. They've shown more than enough to convince me the game at least isn't going to be as awful as all of the other MMOs I've played. It isn't because the game looks pretty. I personally think gameplay and story comes first. But from the pax footage, my friends experiences from pax, and from all of their livestreams showing off the early mechanics of the game, it looks to be quite promising. However it can easily be said that if AoC fails, I will never look towards new MMOs again. Better to stick with FF14.
    JamesGoblinSiugdcutbi001
  • KratukKratuk Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited January 2018
    ASHES OF CREATION. Everything else is just trash on this list
    I'm on board with Pantheon but I will also try AoC. That said:

You set that up too perfect. :p
  • nycplayboy78nycplayboy78 Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Lost Ark Online...ENOUGH SAID!!!!!
  • TweedlerTweedler Member CommonPosts: 1

Voted Camelot Unchained

I've looked into a lot of the MMOs listed throughout their development and I'm just not impressed with any of them. I read through their manifestoes / designs / newsletters and get excited for the features that they're adding. There are some truly great ideas out there, from the family/aging mechanics in Elyria, or the community/sandbox feel of Pantheon, or the procedurally generated campaigns in Crowfall. Really epic stuff. 

But then I dig a bit deeper. 

Most of these games simply don't have the budget to achieve what they want. This is most evident by the fact that most indie MMOs in development are using off-the-shelf game engines that are completely unsuited to a massively multiplayer environment. So, my expectation is that most of these games will have one or two really interesting features and push the genre forwards, but the overall game experience is going to be pretty flat and uninspiring. 

Camelot Unchained is different. Their scope is fairly limited, which means they should actually be able to achieve it. They've created their own game engine so that it can actually handle being an MMO, it won't be a hacked-up bloated engine that grinds to a halt when 20 people turn up. They've already done the hard parts, creating their engine, creating their building system with voxel-like destruction, created their unique ability system and animation system. They've shown us that all these hard parts actually work, so now they're onto the more easy bits - creating the world, creating more abilities and classes etc. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think CU is going to be a runaway success or anything like that, it's a pretty niche game. But, I do believe it will launch with the features advertised, I think it will work well and be extremely fun for those who enjoy RvRvR with deep combat. 

I think you're missing the point, especially with Pantheon. It's not trying to be a game that everyone is going to think is epic, with exciting combat, flashy this, flashy that. It's catering to a niche market, particularly that of the old school EQ community. I think the thing that's made MMO's stale today is the catering to the so called casual crowd. Pantheon is for the people that want that old school MMO feel back in an amazing looking new world. I think ghat's good enough for them, but I know some people are going to be overly critical and look past everything it has to offer.
    Siug
  • MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Pantheon is probably the MMO that I think will surprise people. Also, very much looking forward to Star Citizen after time spent in 3.0. Nothing short of incredible experience.
    [Deleted User]Cendharia
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I dont know about pantheon...The shots I have seen of it look dated already, and I dont think a group based game is going to fly all that well in 2018 (or whatever year it releases)..... The masses want the easy solo play now and most of the old school EQ players are long gone from MMOs.
  • KratukKratuk Member UncommonPosts: 13
    edited January 2018
    I dont know about pantheon...The shots I have seen of it look dated already, and I dont think a group based game is going to fly all that well in 2018 (or whatever year it releases)..... The masses want the easy solo play now and most of the old school EQ players are long gone from MMOs.
    Shiny graphics do not a great game make. But it is developed with Unity 5. So I don''t expect you're going to get the same shiny pretty graphics of AoC's Unreal 4 engine. That said, it won't look terrible. If you look back at their first stream and the most recent one you can see some great improvements in the graphical quality. But it will likely never be as shiny as some of the better engine variants. But then again, WoW and EQ never looked that great either even for their time, and look how those turned out.

Meat, as always, will be in the gameplay. Will it suck? It's possible, but I don't think so. But like all things, it'll be for some people and not for others. Luckily, for the first time in quite a while, there's a diverse set of games coming out that might be fun for an assortment of playstyles. Can't wait myself. :)
    Cendharia
  • DuskrunnerxDuskrunnerx Member CommonPosts: 1
    Eagerly awaiting Pantheon!
    Cendharia