Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

History teaches interesting lessons

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
Happened across an interesting article regarding the cost to product video games across the years, and noticed a couple of fun facts.

Wing Commander III - $5 million: The third entry in the Origin space franchise had a budget of almost $5 million, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Wing Commander IV - $10 million - A 1996 Texas Monthly profile claimed the space combat sequel had a $10 million budget. Of that $10 million, $8.5 million was spent on live-action video sequences, according to Jamie Russell's Generation Xbox.

https://kotaku.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-a-big-video-game-1501413649

So Chris has always clearly been at the top end of the pack when it came to developing games using cutting edge Tech, so his current passion to push SC to the limits is not unexpected.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    It looks to me like there is a massive jump in cost after 2002. While most games before that cost in the low single digits in M$, suddenly you are in the double, sometimes even triple digits in M$.

Possible reasons:

Consoles started to be a big market (XBox, Playstation 2, later Wii) and games were being developed for multiple platforms, with a corresponding increase in cost. But also a big increase in number of games sold - therefore profit.

Have fun
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kyleran said:
    Happened across an interesting article regarding the cost to product video games across the years, and noticed a couple of fun facts.

Wing Commander III - $5 million: The third entry in the Origin space franchise had a budget of almost $5 million, according to the Los Angeles Times.

Wing Commander IV - $10 million - A 1996 Texas Monthly profile claimed the space combat sequel had a $10 million budget. Of that $10 million, $8.5 million was spent on live-action video sequences, according to Jamie Russell's Generation Xbox.

So Chris has always clearly been at the top end of the pack when it came to developing games using cutting edge Tech, so his current passion to push SC to the limits is not unexpected.

in order to be 'top end of the pack' we would have to know the average cost of a video game when Wing Commander 3 and 4 came out. 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The peak on the cost of videogames tends with competition as well, things became bigger, more complex, with the higher requirement on quality from voice-acting, motion-capture for animations, and so on.

It brought gaming to the same tier of movie production, I think movie production itself faced the same jump on how much it tends to cost.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

in order to be 'top end of the pack' we would have to know the average cost of a video game when Wing Commander 3 and 4 came out. 
    Well, in terms of when compared to other games mentioned in the article.

The author even states its not really definitive, no one really knows the actual average, well except maybe SuperData who will sell it you for $4K.

It was just for fun, and it definitely showed a trend towards everly more expensive costs to not only produce games, but market them as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Kyleran said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:

Well, in terms of when compared to other games mentioned in the article.

The author even states its not really definitive, no one really knows the actual average, well except maybe SuperData who will sell it you for $4K.

It was just for fun, and it definitely showed a trend towards everly more expensive costs to not only produce games, but market them as well.

it would not be out of line to add that information in your post.

if I go around saying that Coke is reasonable now becasue it in 1889 it was a nickel some point of reference is helpful.

or....not do whatever
    Kyleran

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me