Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is World of Warcraft (WoW) the cheapest MMO?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited January 2018 in World of Warcraft
Is WoW the cheapest MMO? Especially to one who has a gambling problem and has to buy anything slightly useful in a cashshop?

I just stopped playing BDO because I spent 30+20+30 dollars to get things that are semi-required to enjoy the game. A big part of that was buying 4 pets, a costume (snowflake) (because BDO default armor looks ugly compared to outfits/costumes) and I bought a value pack which is 15 dollars but gotta spend 20 to get it.

Pets loot everything for you in BDO and that sped up my grinding time a lot. Value pack is super good and pretty required. Only thing optional is the costume.

I had that problem in GW2 as well, I bought all the immortal harvesting/crafting tools and did the RNG mounts to get better mounts. I spent about as much in GW2 as I did in BDO.

Then I realized when my bank almost went negative in money...that these MMOs are costing me too much money on things that make the game easier or less annoying.

So I spent what was left and went to WoW. 15 dollars.  Don't need anything in the cash shop. Gold is super easy to get, so I usually BUY WoW tokens with gold instead of real cash. Never needed to buy a WoW token with real money. 15 dollars gets me the whole game, I get tons of transmog outfits...tons of pets...nothing costs extra. And yeah, I guess there are the cash shop pets/mounts...not many of those and the in-game ones are generally better. Plus buy WoW token with gold and still don't have to use cash to get them.

The only game that is also pretty cheap is ESO and FFXIV. In ESO 15 dollars gets you the infinite harvesting bag and all DLCs for free. FFXIV is exactly like WoW, pay 15 dollars and get everything in the game without anything extra...I'd say ESO and FFXIV are probably tied to WoW for cheapest MMOs.

What you guys think?

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Gdemami

Comments

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    I'd say ESO is by far the cheapest. You can get the base game + Morrowind for like 30 dollars and enjoy these without further spendings.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Filbur said:
    I'd say ESO is by far the cheapest. You can get the base game + Morrowind for like 30 dollars and enjoy these without further spendings.
    yeah, that is a good point actually. The base game and expansion are still cheaper than even a single WoW expansion. So it has that going for it.

Also @ everyone....I'm talking about newer MMOs (WoW and newer), not older MMOs. Most of the older MMOs are pretty cheap, but I think everyone knows that lol

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• DarkSpearTriantDarkSpearTriant Member CommonPosts: 8
    yes and it is also the best MMO and doesn't require a huge time investment either.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Cheapest? i have no interest in MMO's that are cheap but not fun to play, if your going to value your own time so little then its perhaps of no surprise that you lose interest in games so easily. Find the games that suits you best and take it from there, there is no point including games that your not really going to play for any length of time. :/
    delete5230
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    You are the cheap one here..
  • anexporanexpor Member UncommonPosts: 24
    OP, it seems like you're not the type of player who isn't afraid to spend money in the cash shop.  That being said, I'd say WoW would be the cheapest for you.  The other games have more robust cash shops which eventually would lead to you going negative again :smile:.  I cannot argue that WoW's initial cost is less than ESO, but most games which are free to play or cost less up front usually have a decent sized cash shop to make up for that.  Just my opinion... GL.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited January 2018
    Unless you use the free tier and never purchase anything from the cash shop? No.

Some MMORPGs offer subscriptions at $10 a month; WoW's is $15?

It looks like you are bargaining with a gambling addiction, though; all bets are off, as the saying goes.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Games that have microtransactions are seldom cheap. They may start out cheap but over time you will sink money into it and soon you have spent more money than you would have had it been a $15 a month sub game.
    Kyleran

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Used to be GW2 - but that might be changing. One time purchase and I never felt the need to buy anything else other than to support the devs.

Warframe isn’t exactly an MMO, but it has one of the best F2P models and I’ve never felt compelled to buy anything (other than just to support the devs). I could say the same thing about Lineage 2 Revolution, although it’s a very very different game and a bit more obvious about their cash shop.

ESO has the optional sub which is pretty much mandatory if you want to craft. It’s a good game but I wouldn’t call it cheapest.

I wouldn’t call WoW the cheapest either. 

The bad bad news is, if you don’t like the game itself it doesn’t matter how cheap it is.
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited January 2018
    Filbur said:
    yeah, that is a good point actually. The base game and expansion are still cheaper than even a single WoW expansion. So it has that going for it.

Also @ everyone....I'm talking about newer MMOs (WoW and newer), not older MMOs. Most of the older MMOs are pretty cheap, but I think everyone knows that lol
    I don't agree that ESO is cheaper.

1.  You're talking about a Pack = Expac, but WoW is the same.  Basie WoW + Legion comes with all the expansion pre-Legion, plus a Character Boost, which is basically teh same as buying ESO + Morowind.

2.  Those of us who started playing ESO before the first expansion are not ignorant of hte fact that they release DLCs for $30-50 like clockwork, meaning you aren't saving much over a WoW subscription...

3.  There is nothing in the WoW cash shop but cosmetic and character boosts.  You can pay for your subscription with Gold you farm.  ESO has all sorts of things that legitimately advantage people who spend money in the cash shop - the degree to which it does this is subjective, but it cannot be denied.

4.  ESO has a subscription, with specific perks set up to get people to use it - otherwise it would be useless.  Crafting without a subscription?  Lol.

WoW is objectively cheaper if you actually keep up with current game content/expansions compared to ESO.  You can offset a lot of the subscription cost with Gold - relatively easily farmed in game.

This is a big reason why I'm a total supporter of subscription games over F2P and B2P.  With Subscription, everyone gets the same game and the gaming company does not have to sell power, faster advancement, loot, housing, or conveniences which legitimately should be a part of the base game (like the way PoE sells stash tabs and handles trading conveniences, basically through the cash shop) on the cash shop because everyone can be expected to work for it in game.  Since they monetize through the subscription, these desperation tactics are unnecessary.

This is a big reason why I stopped playing EQ2, and I've since stopped keeping up with ESO content because the costs were actually more than I was paying for WoW.