Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD Vega 64 Reference Edition - Was the Hype Worth the Wait? - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageAMD Vega 64 Reference Edition - Was the Hype Worth the Wait? - MMORPG.com

AMD Vega has been somewhat of a mixed product. The incredibly hyped, yet often delayed graphics architecture from AMD was finally released, but it’s release wasn’t without its issues last year. From stock issues thanks to low supply and demand from ethereum miners to a confusing way of packaging the product with monitors and game discounts, AMD Vega had a lot to live up to. So, was the hype worth the wait?

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164

hate getting trolled here by the staff.

?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Good luck getting one of those for anything even close to reasonable. The damn miners are snapping them up faster than they can be produced.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    You can get a Vega Frontier Edition card new around $800 now. Pretty much the same card with 16GB HBM2.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Tiller said:

?
    Review of months old hardware that continues to struggle with limited availability with a headline that tagged it like it was something new.

I can understand where @Mars_Orbital is coming from.

I don't have an issue with staff or volunteers writing reviews about hardware that's got some age, I understand not everyone gets Day 0 review handouts, and I don't have a problem with that. But you should at least tell it like it is. Either this is poor editing because the article is about 5 months too late, or (and?) it's poor authoring presenting this like the hardware just came out.

There's no problem if it said early on "This was released August 14, we just got a card and are reviewing it after it's been out for a while". It's kinda alluded to (release... last year), but the review is written, and especially the headline, just makes it look like a lot of crappy click bait.

Turn the fact that it isn't a Day 0 release into a positive. You can talk more about driver refinements, you talk a bit about some of the issues the card has faced (mainly with availability and lack of AIB options). 

Giving the full run down of the specs and such... well that stuff hasn't changed in the 5 months since release, so why spend a lot of article real estate rehashing it.

The MMO testing was very good, and very relevant. And talking about your experiences using the card (it got hot, in some specific games, you listed temps, you listed why you weren't comfortable overclocking the reference, etc.)

Wraithone said:
    Good luck getting one of those for anything even close to reasonable. The damn miners are snapping them up faster than they can be produced.
    Miners are killing the graphics card supply for gamers. It's pretty f'n frustrating.
    DragonJockeyWraithone
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059

Ridelynn said:

Tiller said:

?

Review of months old hardware that continues to struggle with limited availability with a headline that tagged it like it was something new.

I don't have an issue with staff or volunteers writing reviews about hardware that's got some age, I understand not everyone gets Day 0 review handouts, and I don't have a problem with that. But you should at least tell it like it is. Either this is poor editing because the article is about 5 months too late, or (and?) it's poor authoring presenting this like the hardware just came out.

There's no problem if it said early on "This was released August 14, we just got a card and are reviewing it after it's been out for a while". It's kinda alluded to (release... last year), but the review is written, and especially the headline, just makes it look like a lot of crappy click bait.

Turn the fact that it isn't a Day 0 release into a positive. You can talk more about driver refinements, you talk a bit about some of the issues the card has faced (mainly with availability and lack of AIB options). 

Giving the full run down of the specs and such... well that stuff hasn't changed in the 5 months since release, so why spend a lot of article real estate rehashing it.

The MMO testing was very good, and very relevant. And talking about your experiences using the card (it got hot, in some specific games, you listed temps, you listed why you weren't comfortable overclocking the reference, etc.)

Review from last month https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-rx-vega-64-review-benchmarks

Review from last month http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-review_1

Review from a week ago https://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-review-1793144

I don't understand why everytime there's a hardware review on this site people act like the reviewer shit in their cheerios.
    Alverant
  • exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    if your not i crypto by now, your doing something terribly wrong in your life.
    PhryWraithoneTheScavenger
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    Forgrimm said:

Ridelynn said:

Tiller said:

?

Review from last month https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd/amd-rx-vega-64-review-benchmarks

Review from last month http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-review_1

Review from a week ago https://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-vega-64-review-1793144

I don't understand why everytime there's a hardware review on this site people act like the reviewer shit in their cheerios.
    I don't read or care about any of those sites. I only bother to leave feedback here because I like this site, and would like to see it do better.
    exile01 said:
    Maybe like, having a life?
    Wraithone
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Tiller said:
    exile01 said:
    Maybe like, having a life?
    im already 7000% up, good life.
    TheScavenger