Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am not paying $50,either F2P with shop or the Risk is to high that i become a Beta tester ...

GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
Its damn risky to buy games these days, in the past we have been BETA Testers over years after buying games.

Make it F2P with a shop like the most others and i might try it.

No way i pay $50 in advance for a online game i have not tested by myself before buying in 2018 !
JamesGoblinGdemamihamlathisGitmixYashaXHarikenGeekyThunder073Slapshot1188

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited January 2018

Goromhir said:
    Its damn risky to buy games these days, in the past we have been BETA Testers over years after buying games.

No way i pay $50 in advance for a online game i have not tested by myself before buying in 2018 !
    In the past, there weren't many crowd funded projects well. I dont even think this game has had an actual beta yet though. So who knows what they will do by then. If you're buying now, you're just backing the game.

https://crowfall.com/en/faq/playtesting/alpha-and-beta-testing/

For the record though, I've only personally put money into a couple of projects at this point but not in hopes to pay test them (one of them being Project Gorgon). Other than than that, yeah I agree that paying to test a game is silly if the game is being supported by major means like a publisher etc. Crowd funding has a different set of 'rules' unfortunately. Just look at Star Citizen.
    JamesGoblinhamlathis
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I wouldn't give one red cent to people i don't know so they can try to get rich making video games.

99% of these crowd funded games should be paying me for wasting my time trying them,they are almost always really bad games or just half-assed games.

The market is not even relegated to CF funded games,tons of crap is flooding the market,3/4/5 maybe 6 months of work and devs think they have a quality game..pffft.

For the record,Crowfall won't be good,not even close,it is another budget game aiming for the cheap cost of building a pvp game.If you just want to kill other players online,you can do it for free and in some of the best designed pvp maps in the world inside of the new UnrealTournament.

This game offers kingdoms but you will be spending more money for that as well and ongoing over time more money to expand it.So if you think playing a pvp simulator with cash shop kingdoms is quality gaming,knock yourself out..enjoy.
    hamlathis[Deleted User]darkheartsThunder073MMOreaver

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    So wait like I do, until a year or more post launch.

Last thing we need is yet another (not) F2P with cash shop game.
    TinkerBellCommando[Deleted User]GdemamiMadFrenchieOctagon7711[Deleted User]ConstantineMerusYashaXVrika[Deleted User]and 2 others.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Game is in Alpha Dude.  The Beta test *Might* start sometime this year.
    JamesGoblinhamlathis

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    From their website : 

WHAT IS THE CURRENT PHASE OF TESTING?

We are in Pre-Alpha 5.

Pre-Alpha what? 5 ? Wtf is this shit ? Geezes. We are "here", because of the very naive players who believe in everything a guy with a pen and paper come and shows his "awesome" project. 

I really hope this ...KS think ( MMO related only, at least ) will soon vanish. 

Also, there is this guy, senior ... i don't know his full name , of the UK , who "released" this game , and also is/was selling his BLOOD , hair .. brain ( I believe? ) , for some cash online.

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=51225#tab-blood_charity

I mean, who in the RIGHT MIND is supporting this shit of behavior ?!

GdemamihamlathisMMOreaver

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Best way to vote for a game is with your wallet.  So my wallet also stays closed until I see something substantial.
    hamlathisKyleranThunder073SandmanjwMMOreaver

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Best way to vote for a game is with your wallet.  So my wallet also stays closed until I see something substantial.
    I opened my wallet and am playing something pretty substantial right now, funny how that works.

Criwfalls pre-alpha is better then most BETAs I've been in, it has already made a tremendous amount of progress in a relatively short time.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

JamesGoblinUngoodhamlathisThunder073MMOreaverRhoms
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    Goromhir said:

As soon as a game goes F2P/P2W/P2WTF I stop playing it.  Players like you are why MMORPGs today suck total crap.
    JamesGoblinGdemamiSlapshot1188hamlathisConstantineMerusThunder073
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Don't pay for betas. It's utterly wrong. Too many companies seem to think beta is an early release build, instead of the development build it actually is. There have been a lot of games in what they called beta, that absolutely wasn't an actual beta. The less reputable ones have started using beta as a marketing term, which I feel is unethical and false representation they use to get away with releasing buggy software on the public.

Crowfall has some interesting things, but it's a no go for me simply because of the non-consensual pvp that comprises what I suspect will be the majority of gameplay from the descriptions. Too bad, it sounded rather good other than that. 

Kickstarters and the like can be risky. It can also be a great way to support something you think will be awesome.  There have been some definite wins released via crowd funding, but there have also been failures, scams, and just plain sucky ones as well.  It's a bit of a crap shoot, so it's a good idea to follow some simple rules. 
    1 - Don't invest money you can't afford to lose. It'll be for sale after it's finished anyway.
    2 - Don't invest in anyone that you don't know. Do some investigation on the person first. 
    3 - If they have successfully done one or more kickstarters for similar projects, they will probably bring this one to fruition as well. 

I've been in several kickstarters, and have been hit by a couple of unexpected twists, but I've had a lot more great results by being a tad cautious and doing a bit of research as well.  

As to the games supported by real money shops, even if they go through a fake currency you buy with real money, they are often bland and it's not uncommon for them to push you towards the shops by gimping the game.  If a so called AAA (triple A) game has the real money shop, it's almost guaranteed to be a greedy money grab and the game was definitely altered to require the shop either flat out, to avoid an intolerable grind of insane duration, or to regain things that would normally be available in the game anyway. Case in point, Shadows of War, Star Wars Battlefont 2, and Destiny 2 to name a few recent violations of those types. 
    So no, I don't look at shop supported games as a good thing. I have no idea why the OP would imply that they like them. 

Ok, I've babbled more than enough. I need to leave something for other people to talk about. :wink:  Feel free to agree or disagree as you like. After all, it's just our opinions.
    hamlathisThunder073Straef

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• FrykkaFrykka Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Goromhir said:

I hope you know that you can try it for free when Beta comes out  (August 2018 maybe) if you register an account on the website.  That is the free trial period.   The game will never be free to play...   it is buy once - play unlimited like all the games used to be.

• hamlathishamlathis Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited January 2018
    Maybe crowfall is a great game I don't know. because never tried it.  BUT i can say all the kickstarters and projects I payed for are unfinished or stopped. (H1Z1 Landmark SOTA repopulation) All of them are IMO unplayable. And I'm done. I won't pay a cent anymore for an unfinished game. It's over I'm done.
    Only facts: payed for many unfinished and unplayable games  (it's over) on perpetual alpha state
    Facts: I play only ancient MMOS because they're good (wow Lotro GW2...)
    Pre-Alpha what? 5 ? Wtf is this shit ?
    Lol, now we have to pay for a prealpha ? What a prealpha is ? A technical demo ? No way. No more.  Not a cent for an alpha or even a beta not even a ct.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    lahnmir said:
    I opened my wallet and am playing something pretty substantial right now, funny how that works.

Criwfalls pre-alpha is better then most BETAs I've been in, it has already made a tremendous amount of progress in a relatively short time.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

OK, that's one.
    IceAgeJamesGoblin

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:

People want more, now, and for free. No one wants to pay for their games anymore. It sucks. That means the people who do pay end up paying more, even if you're not a whale.
    But people want to see it before paying because they have paid in advance and got screwed. It's a 2 way street here. Players want play the game before they pay for it and developers are getting paid before releasing games that are substandard or never even release.....or drag out the development process to drag out getting paid....etc.
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    edited January 2018
    Goromhir said:

OK dude. Because you don't want to pay for beta access the game should change its entire monetization strategy just so you "might" try it... /facepalm

Here's an outrageous suggestion: how about you WAIT until the game releases so you can watch streams and read reviews before you buy it ?!?

Post edited by Gitmix on
    JamesGoblink61977Thunder073
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Goromhir said:

So wait till after launch, read some reviews, watch some streams, see what others are saying about it...
    JamesGoblin[Deleted User]Thunder073
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

OK, that's one.
    Actually, that is 39.387, versus +/- 20 sour people on this website. But who is counting?  ;)

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblinRhygarth

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:

People want more, now, and for free. No one wants to pay for their games anymore. It sucks. That means the people who do pay end up paying more, even if you're not a whale.
    But people want to see it before paying because they have paid in advance and got screwed. It's a 2 way street here. Players want play the game before they pay for it and developers are getting paid before releasing games that are substandard or never even release.....or drag out the development process to drag out getting paid....etc.
    There were very few games that let you play it before you bought it back before this whole kickstarter crap started.  Sure some had free trials but those were far and few in reality.  Hell just think about all the console games people were buying without trying.

The biggest thing people miss today is they have think you should have a game ready in a year or two it seems.  A good game can take anywhere between 5-7 years on average.  To many people today have expectations that just are not in line with actually making a game. 

I do agree about people being screwed by projects that go unfinished or do not deliver what was promised.

I also look at it like this though, you don't back people you have no idea who they are I don't care what they promise.  Do your homework find out who is developing the game and if it is an indie company you can shoot the dice or not your choice.  If your gaming money is not disposable income to begin with, meaning something you can spend and not care about it, maybe you should find another hobby all together as gaming is an expensive hobby.

[Deleted User]Sovrathgervaise1
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Goromhir said:

I don't bother with these crowdfunded games period. But this is what today's gamers are used to now. I remember when game companies would test their own game with a few player invites.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited January 2018
    Goromhir said:

In the past there were no f2p games (in the west) and people had to make do with reading reviews, maybe playing a trial and paying $50 or whatever. Funny how one can forget how it used to be!

Kickstarters are a "buyer beware". If you are not interested in supporting whatever is being crowdfunded - games or anything else - you should stay away. For there is an element of risk.

And - I know this may come as a shock - the money is required to pay the people developing the game, buy the kit and software etc. Just the way it is. No money, no game. And if there is no game there is nothing to release - whether f2p of whatever. So no you don't get the option today.

Maybe in the future it might be finished. Might for its tough. If its an "honest endeavour" though I don't see any reason to complain. (And btw EQN, Landmark etc. were not kickstarter projects.)

And if - if - the attempt is successful who knows they might release it as f2p, or b2p or with a sub - whatever. For that to be an option though there has to be a game - or at least enough of a game - to launch. 
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblin
    edited January 2018
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

Yeah, but you play for "fun", seriously who does that?

Poking a pile of pooh with a stick can be fun, at least for a little while. 

Still wouldn't call it a good value.

But, to each their own.

;)

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Goromhir said:

As you state... most others are F2P with a  cash shop.   Why be clone #63?
    People who like cash shops have a ton to choose from.  I think there is room for a few games that cater to a different crowd.  Not every game has to cater to the largest denominator.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

But, to each their own.

;)
    Hahaha you were doing so good before your edit. Tssk tssk, such a shame  :p

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    JamesGoblin

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I have signed up for the Free Beta, and truth be told unless it sucks, I will drop the $50 to play it.
    JamesGoblin
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:

Then wait for it to release or wait for a trial. Almost every MMO offers one at some point. With all the Twitch streaming it's not hard to get an idea of game play. There will be a ton of that after launch. Which is why kyle's advice is spot on.

He's not asking for a 3 day trial. He's asking for the game to be free because he doesn't want to pay for it.
    Don't misunderstand....I completely agree with you. I won't buy any game pre-release and now, even expansions to games I already play until after I've seen them. But I seem to be in a minority.....or we can at least say there are enough people willing to fork over cash for en empty promise that it has made game development (d)evolve into.....(I am struggling to come up with the right words to describe the state of game development these days). But that's the cause for both sides of the issue.

lahnmir said:
    Kyleran said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 

But, to each their own.

;)
    Hahaha you were doing so good before your edit. Tssk tssk, such a shame  :p

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yeah, you got caught in the collateral damage of my campaign against early access, it happens....