Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pre-Alpha Starts Today!

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I'm just happy there is a pre-Alpha for people to argue about. That was never guaranteed. This game could easily have not made it this far. Thank goodness it did. 
    KilsinDullahan[Deleted User]glakunsPhoebesMrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Wizardry said:
    Yes because those dumb enough to hand over free money are the ones i want testing games.
    You are without a doubt the Eeyore of the mmorpg.com forums.
    DullahanScorchienKyleranSovrathMrMelGibson
  • scooby1971scooby1971 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    edited January 2018

A single server in pre-alpha means - extremely limited number of players, which is why it's $1000

*Updated - The lowest price for buy in pre-alpha is now $10,000

glakuns
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    This is good news , great to see them taking this step forward in development...

Kilsingervaise1
  • noll1ngtonnoll1ngton Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Dullahan said:
    They've said openly this will be very traditional game testing. 

I remember when traditional game testing was.
    Internal testing
    Friends and family testing
    Alpha testing
    Beta testing
    Open beta for everyone
    Release

Now it seems to be more about
    no internal testing
    release early access payment bundles at various over prices prices
    Have pre alpha testing
    pre alpha testing 2
    New packs and new items for cash announced
    Micro transaction store announced
    Beta 1
    Beta 2
    Beta 3 
    (all still requiring more than a released games actual price to test)
    Add more items to micro transaction currency shop
    Pre order + bonuses 
    Pre order early test
    Last chance early bird pre orders
    few days headstart
    release (usually with half the content promised in the game description dont added yet and will be dlc later)
    PhoebesWarlyx
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Actually traditional testing was internal, friends and family, and pro (paid) testers. Players didn't get in until the final phases to uncover elusive bugs, performance issues and server stress testing.

Pantheon has and will have all of that, but as an indie company will not be able to hire a lot of people just to test the game. As someone who knows many of the people who have pre-alpha access, I have not met a single person who pledge for access. It was to make the game a reality.

If you are pledging solely for early access, you are making a mistake.
    Sovrathdcutbi001

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Pre-this , Pre-That ... and by the time of 2020 , we might have a Closed Beta.

..and people were/are crying over Blizzard development time-frame , lol .

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    As mentioned this (hopefully) is good news.

As to testing it depends on the game.

For example GW1's testing that started back in 2004 I think was - something like - two short (weekend) pre-pre-alpha tests for people who volunteered about a month apart. Then they sold - sold! - pre-launch boxes for $10. These gave people a) $5 discount off the game if they bought it b) access to further "test weekends" that ran monthly. Exact details may be a little different but it was something like that anyway.

At the other end of the spectrum DDO had a single, short stress test and then launched.

With other games falling inbetween.

For those supporting Pantheon this, hopefully, is a good thing. Which, hopefully, will in time lead to people not currently supporting Pantheon to have the option of partaking in it.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    gervaise1 said:

For example GW1's testing that started back in 2004 I think was - something like - two short (weekend) pre-pre-alpha tests for people who volunteered about a month apart. Then they sold - sold! - pre-launch boxes for $10. These gave people a) $5 discount off the game if they bought it b) access to further "test weekends" that ran monthly. Exact details may be a little different but it was something like that anyway.

At the other end of the spectrum DDO had a single, short stress test and then launched.

For those supporting Pantheon this, hopefully, is a good thing. Which, hopefully, will in time lead to people not currently supporting Pantheon to have the option of partaking in it.

What?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    IceAge said:

What?

You stay sassy!

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    Geeky said:
    Can't wait to hear some "rumors". 

Seriously, looking forward to some of the next streams.
    Seriously? Don't bother. It's never ever worth the price. 
    Tamanoussvann
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Kilsin said:
    Ronald88 said:
    Are the players under NDA ?
    Yes.

Sorry but No. We are not.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    LeFantome said:
    Kilsin said:
    Ronald88 said:
    Are the players under NDA ?
    Yes.

Sorry but No. We are not.
    Did you just tell the community manager of Visionary Realms there is no NDA? lol
    Kyleranscooby1971KilsinMrMelGibson
  • scooby1971scooby1971 Member UncommonPosts: 17
    It is under NDA, most likely why the price of PRE-ALPHA is high to lower the chance of a leak.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited January 2018
    It is under NDA, most likely why the price of PRE-ALPHA is high to lower the chance of a leak.
    GL with that tho

what classes are avaliable in the "pre-alpha"?
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Warlyx said:
    GL with that tho

Probably the ones used in the streams. Rogue , Shaman , Fighter , Wizard?
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    IceAge said:

Can't compare apples to oranges.  1 team has hundreds of millions, if not hundreds of billions of dollars and established while the other is just starting out. 

I hope they take time to make a good game.  Not have it rushed out like Vanguard did from the Publisher cause they wanted money
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    IceAge said:

Can't compare apples to oranges.  1 team has hundreds of millions, if not hundreds of billions of dollars and established while the other is just starting out. 

I hope they take time to make a good game.  Not have it rushed out like Vanguard did from the Publisher cause they wanted money
    Ya this tread baffles me. People clearly still can't wrap their head around how crowd funding works and leap on their SJW soap box to berate something that doesn't affect them in the least. These new indie made mmorpgs in development also have roughly the same or even smaller teams than early gen mmorgs had so it's the return to older style game testing where each stage is an important mile stone and should rightly get fans of the game excited.

It doesn't matter what this stage of testing is called ... it only matters that it's a move toward turning the game concept into a more playable product. This is good news.

You stay sassy!

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    IceAge said:
    gervaise1 said:

What?
    Different games have used different types of testing for years.

For those supporting Pantheon this is a good thing; for those not currently supporting Pantheon maybe it will finish and launch one day and then they will have the option of buying it. If it all goes well etc.
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563
    Warlyx said:
    GL with that tho

There is a tight NDA, and I would assume, if you did pay $1,000, you're not too keen on getting your access revoked. It's not hard to track players with pre-alpha accounts. 
    Kyleran
  • LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    Raxeon said:
    what an absurd price to get into pre alpha
    This is basically a long term kickstarter reward.  At the $1000 tier you get access to pre-alpha.

• LasterbaLasterba Member UncommonPosts: 137
    $350 is acceptable for a decent size TV, ridiculous to beta test a game...I remember when we were doing them the favor to test their games for free, now they want to charge an arm and a leg for us to test bad games.
    You guys are looking at this all wrong.  This is a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for development.  VR is not EA.  They don't have infinite pools of money.  The company has been very up front and exceedingly clear about this.  It's essentially a Kickstarter.  At $350 one of the backer rewards you get is Alpha/Beta access.

If you don't want to pay it, fine lol.  No one is forcing you.  Let the people with money to burn pay for the development so that you get a better game at launch.
    KumaponDullahanMrMelGibsonKilsindcutbi001chocolate42069
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Lasterba said:
    Raxeon said:
    what an absurd price to get into pre alpha
    This is basically a long term kickstarter reward.  At the $1000 tier you get access to pre-alpha.

Good job Lasterba, 

It seems people are thinking greedy  "here's my money, give me everything in return"  

By giving a $1000 your saying  "I believe in your cause, here's some money, I'll help you make a game" 

Access to pre-alpha is a SMALL GIFT in return !!! 
    It's no different than giving large sums of money to a charity and they give you a small red plastic flower that you could pin on your jacket.... meaning thank you ! 

People here seem to look at it this way "here's a $1000, give me a $1000 back"
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    DMKano said:
    Lasterba said:
    $350 is acceptable for a decent size TV, ridiculous to beta test a game...I remember when we were doing them the favor to test their games for free, now they want to charge an arm and a leg for us to test bad games.
    You guys are looking at this all wrong.  This is a crowdfunding campaign to raise money for development.  VR is not EA.  They don't have infinite pools of money.  The company has been very up front and exceedingly clear about this.  It's essentially a Kickstarter.  At $350 one of the backer rewards you get is Alpha/Beta access.

If you don't want to pay it, fine lol.  No one is forcing you.  Let the people with money to burn pay for the development so that you get a better game at launch.

VR also raised series A funding in April 2017

They are going to be doing series B funding soon.

So they are rasing money in addition to crowdfunding
    I am glad they are, if they didn't find someone to do this stuff, the game may never get done, and if it did, it would probably be horrible.  I just hope they can raise enough to give us a quality finished product that runs good (so it doesn't scare people off, it is hard to fix and keep customers...aka Vanguard).
  • tdawg26tdawg26 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Is it still possible to get into the alpha ? I am craving a mmorpg and cannot find one to fill the void.