Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The 10 Most Wanted MMOs of 2018 - The List - MMORPG.com

1235»

Comments

• Kaitos10Kaitos10 Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Anyone know when any of these games come out?

if so please tell me
    White_Lotus
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited January 2018
    Torval said:

Warlyx said:

is really pantheon going to be released in 2018? Oo

I am looking forward to it but I doubt it will come out that soon. Pre-Alpha is dropping probably around Christmas. On the Pantheon forums I remember them saying once Pre-Alpha hits it would be a year and a half to 2 years before the game would launch. At least that is what they would shoot for. My bad they said a year of testing from the start of Pre-Alpha and it could be ready so it's possible.

I can see it getting to a persistent accessible beta state of some sort. That seems to meet the requirement for "release" which has become somewhat amorphous in nature. I hope WoW Classic doesn't crush  all interest in the indie efforts.
    Ha!  How ironic would it be for WoW to drown out a round of throwback indie efforts with a throwback effort of their own??

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Torval said:

Warlyx said:

is really pantheon going to be released in 2018? Oo

I am looking forward to it but I doubt it will come out that soon. Pre-Alpha is dropping probably around Christmas. On the Pantheon forums I remember them saying once Pre-Alpha hits it would be a year and a half to 2 years before the game would launch. At least that is what they would shoot for. My bad they said a year of testing from the start of Pre-Alpha and it could be ready so it's possible.

I can see it getting to a persistent accessible beta state of some sort. That seems to meet the requirement for "release" which has become somewhat amorphous in nature. I hope WoW Classic doesn't crush  all interest in the indie efforts.
    Ha!  How ironic would it be for WoW to drown out a round of throwback indie efforts with a throwback effort of their own??
    Haha yeah. I almost want this to happen just read the forum posts here! :)
    MadFrenchie
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Gkarr said:
    Kinda surprised Anthem didn't make the list. It might take away some of the thunder from Destiny 2.

People would complain it's "not a real MMO" then.
    Granted, we're always going to bitch about something. :D
    Given that the #removeeververse movement by Destiny2 players is growing while player numbers are still dropping at an incredible rate, i would suggest that Destiny 2 players have a great deal to 'bitch about' all things considered. Though the backlash against games such as Destiny 2 and SW:BF2 is just the tip of the iceberg and is far from over. :p
    ConstantineMerus
  • JamesGoblinJamesGoblin Member RarePosts: 1,242
    Kaitos10 said:

if so please tell me
    @Kaitos10 Nobody, not even developers, know exact times; thus we have only opinions and estimates.

On the other hand, well informed "unofficial" estimate is quite often much more valuable than some sugarcoated dev PR talk; say, I am fresh from one of Shroud of the Avatar discussions - that game is an excellent example of devs' total disconnect with reality (I'm afraid, on purpose).

Anyway, here is what I think will happen (l'll skip the games I am not following closely):

WoW - sometime late 2018.

Pantheon - never, they won't even launch due to severe lack of funds.

Camelot Unchained - 2020 or later.

Chronicles of Elyria - never, same reason as Pantheon.

Crowfall - soft launch in Q1/Q2 2019, launch 2020.

Ashes of Creation - never, see Pantheon / CoE above; tho they are the only one from this unfortunate trio that, at least, still has some theoretical chances to launch (in the range of 5%, if one feels generous; also, note that launch doesn't mean success - far from that, which is naturally true for any game from the list). These chances still exist mostly due to AoC still being too fresh for coffin, and will likely be corrected to zero in the 2018.

As a bonus, two games I'm not following that closely (ESO is my old love for which I just can't find time recently, and for close insight into New World this early, I'd have to be it's developer):

ESO should have major update roughly the same time of year Clockwork City happened in 2017.

New World will either simply be cancelled (Titan/EQ:Next style) or it will end up not being a MMO, say - the way Star Citizen is not. Anyway, it won't launch before 2020, likely later.
    White_Lotuspostlarval
     W...aaagh?
  • White_LotusWhite_Lotus Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Pantheon the only one i'm waiting for. now that they're in Pre-alpha is 1 step closer to coming out.
  • White_LotusWhite_Lotus Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Kaitos10 said:

if so please tell me
    @Kaitos10 Nobody, not even developers, know exact times; thus we have only opinions and estimates.

On the other hand, well informed "unofficial" estimate is quite often much more valuable than some sugarcoated dev PR talk; say, I am fresh from one of Shroud of the Avatar discussions - that game is an excellent example of devs' total disconnect with reality (I'm afraid, on purpose).

Anyway, here is what I think will happen (l'll skip the games I am not following closely):

Ashes of Creation - never, see Pantheon / CoE above; tho they are the only one from this unfortunate trio that, at least, still has some theoretical chances to launch (in the range of 5%, if one feels generous; also, note that launch doesn't mean success - far from that, which is naturally true for any game from the list). These chances still exist mostly due to AoC still being too fresh for coffin, and will likely be corrected to zero in the 2018.

As a bonus, two games I'm not following that closely (ESO is my old love for which I just can't find time recently, and for close insight into New World this early, I'd have to be it's developer):

ESO should have major update roughly the same time of year Clockwork City happened in 2017.

New World will either simply be cancelled (Titan/EQ:Next style) or it will end up not being a MMO, say - the way Star Citizen is not. Anyway, it won't launch before 2020, likely later.
    Pantheon is coming? where did you get they wont due to funding? they got the money and more for years to come?
    JamesGoblin
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Pantheon the only one i'm waiting for. now that they're in Pre-alpha is 1 step closer to coming out.
    Yes “pre-Alpha” certainly sounds like a lot of progress from pre-pre-alpha of the last few years.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SturVosSturVos Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    More faith in Chronicles of Elyria eventual success than I would normally have for a sandbox game. Sanboxes tend to rely on population to be fun. Not enough buy in equals low population, equals less fun, equals eventual dwindling of existing population and death of the game. With the robust NPC mechanics CoE plans on implementing this should help mitigate this and keep the world feeling alive even should the player population not be up to the task.
  • mmorgclashmmorgclash Newbie CommonPosts: 10
    signature
    Kaitos10 said:

if so please tell me

Pantheon is coming? where did you get they wont due to funding? they got the money and more for years to come?
    TRUE!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    OK so someone bumped this back into my notifications. Interesting to take an opportunity to look back:
    Chronicles of Elyria

COE is definitely up there in all the new MMOs being made, but we wonder just how far off it truly is from releasing or hitting a largescale beta. That said, its progress has been promising, and the studio’s on target for the voxel-driven “test” version called VoxElyria in the early part of 2018. Its intent is to test the systems and MMO aspects of Chronicles of Elyria while the team designs the higher fidelity world for full launch. How that plays out should tell us just how feasible Soulbound’s ambitious plans really are.
    --------------

Well, as it has been 2 years since this article was posted (Oct 2017), VoxElyria was cancelled, and no players have entered the "pre-alpha" (let alone the Alpha or "largescale beta") I think that tells you all you need to know about the last questions in the quote above.

To be fair, they are not the only one on that list that never progressed. It's funny to see how overly hopeful we can be sometimes...
    JamesGoblinOctagon7711

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Sad
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"