Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Early Access Review - Nose to the Grindstone - Life is Feudal Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited January 2018 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMO Early Access Review - Nose to the Grindstone - Life is Feudal Review - MMORPG.com

This has been a banner year for survival games come. Now we have the open beta for Life is Feudal: MMO. The game is grim, difficult, and dangerous, but damned if it isn’t a joy to play. However, keep your nose to the grindstone because Life is Feudal: MMO demands lots of time and patience in order to achieve anything substantial. This is our Life is Feudal: MMO review.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458
    at best sounds like it still needs a helluva lotta work
    TokkenMrMelGibsonUNH0LYEV1LSadfistEverketMitaraviznew
  • OrmagodonOrmagodon Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Played YO, it was alright bit clunky to do anything. Played MMO bit more smoothed but very slow progression, and as the article says everywhere has been settled so you better play with a clan. =/
    alaadar
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I've tried it out and there's a ton of potential, as with most EA titles/Beta's. The hardcore survival and sandbox elements are exactly what a lot of people fed up with theme parks have been asking for, but in this instance it needs a lot more work and polishing.
    MrMelGibsonUNH0LYEV1LEverketviznew
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited January 2018
    Pardon me - but where is the description (with video) of the most important feature in modern games: the boob slider?
    syltmackaMrMelGibsonkillerqueer[Deleted User]Scot

Thank you for your time!

• PaulChattertonPaulChatterton Member UncommonPosts: 19
    As a roleplayer with many years under my belt, I am playing as the King of Silverhawk in the EU Epleland world. It is a shame this server didn't get a mention in the review, possibly due to it coming along a week or two after the Open Beta started, because it is another of the unique features of the game. Unlike every other game I have played that has an RP tag against some copies of the world, in the Life is Feudal:MMO the RP server is policed by GMs. While RP isn't mandatory, griefing roleplayers for being roleplayers is forbidden, with at least one guild having been banned from the server for doing so, and you are expected to engage in conversation with potential enemies before engaging in PvP. Interactions between guilds can range from a very close vassal/liege relationship, through friendly defence pacts and trading agreements, to all out war, which, in Epleland, should be driven by a 'casus belli'. For any roleplayer out there, the Life is Feudal:MMO is definitely a game you should try.
    KyleranMrMelGibsonSadfistEverketAzaron_Nightblade
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    edited January 2018
    3dom said:
    Pardon me - but where is the description (with video) of the most important feature in modern games: the boob slider?
    Yes because everyone tweaks that setting to perfectly align with the proper body proportions for the character. It's not like we wouldn't need one hard coded into the game with the assumption...........SLAM THAT SUCKER TO THE RIGHT AS FAR AS IT WILL GO!!!!!!

I mean....who does that?

(Yes, this is an attempt at humor)
    JamesGoblinMrMelGibson
  • mikeb0817mikeb0817 Member UncommonPosts: 80
    Open Beta still free to sign up? I've had my eye on this one for a long time. Looks like a fun, UO skill system, open world RPG. Very excited. Article has great info.
    Signex
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    You have to buy something in order to join the beta I believe.
    Mitara

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Interestingly enough this review makes no mention of some of the challenges faced by the beta testers including significant system instability, complaints over nerfs which are limiting pvp along with what many feel are excessive resource costs vs far too limited rewards for winning.

I picked all of that up from a quick read of the LiF forums, apparetly the RP server isn't expereiencing any of them.

Oh yeah, thats right, this is "beta", they don't count yet.

7 is too high of a score...

SadfistMitaraYashaX

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There is probably over 150 survival games but we only hear of a few because of paid marketing.

Point being there is no banner year ,i would say the success rate to even break even is around 1% and this is a genre that is incredibly cheap to make.
    There is not a survival game on the planet worth a 5/10,best maybe if i am real generous is a 3/10.They are like 10% of a game design,only done because it is low risk cheap cost effective.Most or many of these only have 1/2/3 models as well,H1Z1 only had 1 for the longest time.

The fact the most success in these genres have turned from being a fake survival game and gone towards being a battle royale game,Hiz1,Fortnite now converted.
    The originals like WarZ and all the other Z games have pretty much disappeared,AOC survival is pretty much dead and gone.

IMO a very bad market to get into but they put so little effort into these they still keep flooding the market because it is just so cheap to make them.
    petersnowz[Deleted User]SadfistMitara

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Progress Bar: The Game.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• PaulChattertonPaulChatterton Member UncommonPosts: 19

mikeb0817 said:

Open Beta still free to sign up? I've had my eye on this one for a long time. Looks like a fun, UO skill system, open world RPG. Very excited. Article has great info.

There is a link on the LiF forums that will allow you to download the game for free, and that will get you into Newbie island. You need to pay for each ticket to the mainland, though. If you have previously purchased LiF: YO, you will get one ticket for free. There are also packages available that will give you one or more tickets to the mainland as well as other perks.

• Grunt350Grunt350 Member UncommonPosts: 57
    they need to change the tutorial because is not very helpful and you learn the basics better in a youtube video made by players.
    Alomar
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Its a no lifers paradise thats for sure.

I have only jumped in a few times. From what I hear there wont be a wipe, which for a game like this that has the finite resources that is a major issue. So I basically didnt even bother.

I have about a thousand hours playing YO and while that game had a lot of issues it was a 'better' set up because not unlike a lot of 'survival' type building games new servers and 'seasons' were started when needed. Games like this are going to suffer greatly from diminishing returns.

The griefing thing was also a major issue but from what I cant tell that system has either been buggy or nerfed or something. They probably finally realized that a grindfest like this where a death getting murdered by someone sets you back days or even weeks was a bad idea. But then again the selling of insurance was right there front and center.

Game has a ton of great ideas the implementation is where it has always had problems. terraforming, Quality of everything mattering, seasons (although there is a set pattern people have figured out) and the growth rates are all cool. Animals would be better if they were not simply placards on a screen that represents a barn or a pen or a coop.
    Alomar
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    Too grindy, not rewarding enough. Devs are cool though, trying hard to maintain balance and prevent rust like morons from ruining the game.
    Alomar

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

Rhoklaw said:
    Don't forget the 500 Chinese member guild that obviously ISN'T supplying the gold selling website with it's resources. It's definitely someone else, lol.
    Obviously must be the case.

;)
    [Deleted User]

• UNH0LYEV1LUNH0LYEV1L Member UncommonPosts: 571
    edited January 2018
    Always wondered about the game. Thanks for the detailed review. Seems like a great work in progress sandbox game but also like a second job. Also slightly pay 2 win cash shop with tools and weapons that dont drop on death? WTF that seems pretty broken in a game like this.
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The LiF MMO is a game that falls in extremes, there's a group of people that gets captivated by its challenging nature that over the slow progression there's also a constant risk of loss what I think leads to a better sense of accomplishment when you gets things. And then there's the group of people that can't resist its grinding and unforgiving nature that quickly stop playing.

It needs quite the work, just like the YO game the issues that haunt it, the PvP guilds that love to exploit in any way they can, even if it means lag the entire map near them so they won't be attacked, etc... etc... We'll see.
  • JownzJownz Member UncommonPosts: 62
    If your interested in this game come hang out with us in the north! We are already established and the game really opens up with a group of players working together! Join our website and hop on discord to chat with us and we can get you set up!

http://spartanlegiongaming.com/
    AlomarKyleranknightsbayne
  • SadfistSadfist Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited January 2018
    Had more then enough info about the game just by watching LazyPeon video..
    It may be fun if you like to be a part of a big group and 10 hours per day to spend grinding. But there is obviously so many things wrong with the game at this point and you give it 7 out of 10 ??? Kinda misleading, imo
    Kyleran
    Sadfist said:
    It may be fun if you like to be a part of a big group. But there is obviously so many things wrong with the game at this point and you give it 7 out of 10 ??? Kinda misleading, imo
    For some people as long as they are having a fun time with friends even trading slaps to the face is considered a good experience. 

;)

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Sadfist said:
    It may be fun if you like to be a part of a big group and 10 hours per day to spend grinding. But there is obviously so many things wrong with the game at this point and you give it 7 out of 10 ??? Kinda misleading, imo
    While there are some issues with the game, the lazypeon video is a textbook example of how one person might find something horrible whereas the next person might think it's great.

Case in point, he had huge issues with how dark the tutorial area was. I am fine with not being able to see (one of the reasons I love the dark nights in Dragon's Dogma), he hated the no objectives, no hand holding type of game play and that's an even bigger plus for me.

He really hated being dropped in the middle of nowhere. GIANT plus for me.

That's why it's important when looking at reviews to see what they are saying over some sort of score.

There were issues, and technical issues such as placing that log and having it "float".

Not giving information on "how" to do something as simple as cutting logs is also a no no.

So "yeah" I can see a 7 out of 10 for some things, especially if one isn't put off but some of the glitchyness.

But, if people gate dark, no objective, dropped in the middle of nowhere games then I can easily see the review being much lower.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    Might be an idea to wait until "Late Access", but I say that about any MMO, why play something earlier in a less finished state?
    Kyleran
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    In it's current state, I sincerely doubt it will gain a big population. It might certainly hold a niche as it's trying something different, but being unable to do anything alone won't work for everyone. 

Not saying you should be able to do everything alone, but relying on other people for everything? Nah, not gonna work.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Life is Futile?

Am I right or am I right?

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MadFrenchielaseritYashaX
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer