Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

most-of-the-real-mmo-players-are-gone-from-this-site

Comments

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I always enjoy delete's threads!

They start out with an interesting (click-bait) title that I think might lead to a fun debate, but every single time the OP is almost entirely unrelated to the title and almost always using some sort of questionable metaphor to back up his point. 

In this case, "real MMO players leaving this website" somehow equates to people dropping out of high school because they don't like football....
    atonicoMrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    I always enjoy delete's threads!

They start out with an interesting (click-bait) title that I think might lead to a fun debate, but every single time the OP is almost entirely unrelated to the title and almost always using some sort of questionable metaphor to back up his point. 

In this case, "real MMO players leaving this website" somehow equates to people dropping out of high school because they don't like football....
    Ah, so that's what this threads about,  thanks for clarifying.

Guess I went way off topic.  ;)
    MrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Kyleran said:
    Well, games for me are about creating a character I like to play and look at. Be it male or female, it depends how they are in-game. I never play anyone muscular, so most males are designed that way. But WoW had awesome males that weren't the typical muscular model (for some races)

But I wonder if he'll like my ultra fashion just out of the salon black desert online character :P

I present to you...

Presenting....

the ultimate fashion MMORPG model...

Asian games should be right up your alley, Lineage 2, Tera, Final Fantasy and some others had several races of androgynous male avatars which fit your preference.

Don't start Kyleran. :)
    MrMelGibson
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    What in the world are you rambling on about, OP?  Who are these real MMO players you are referring to?

This all sounds like some sort of conspiracy your idle mind has dreamed up.
    BruceYee
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    kitarad said:

Ok, I don't think I've ever used my join date for bragging rights before but if you check you will see I joined in February of 2005.  I see that that the OP joined in 2007.  So, delete5230, does that make me better than you?

And besides, aren't you the guy who was all gung-ho to play project 99 and then when you got it set up you didn't even last a week?  I mean, I bitch about the fact that I'm sure Pantheon will be too "no-life" for me but even I have a level 55 character in P99. 

You talk about Pantheon like it will be the greatest thing ever but when given the chance to play the closest thing to it that exists currently.....you don't.

I think it is fine to have opinions about things. Even having an ego to post poorly written and thought out threads thinking they are the bomb is fine too. The problem is that the OP constantly has to take swipes at players of other games for the games they enjoy and brand them with stupid names he thinks are clever. He seems to be threatened by the very existence of other games and their player base and belittling them somehow is going to make their existence less valid in some way and less significant to the genre. How misguided is that ?

OP had the chance to actually put his money where his mouth is and he failed. He cannot play Everquest in its classic version of Project 1999 and his claim is that the game having no map bothered him. Probably that inconvenience completely defeated him. That and the lame excuse that he cannot properly devote the time the game deserves. Seriously you cannot find the time to play Project 1999 but you have time to come here daily and start your dumb threads and to check on them regularly. The reason is simple he chickened out and yet here he is making fun of other gamers and talking about being a real MMORPGamer. 

OP you have already proven aside from your inability to string proper sentences together and spell that you do not have the stamina to play the type of game you think you can, I seldom read your posts but thankfully the people who respond are coherent and interesting enough. At least you do generate discussion and in some cases here judging from the number of WTFs and LOLs you pile up each time they are entertained by you.

I was annoyed when I genuinely got taken in by your attempt to play Project 1999 and spent some of my valuable and yes I consider the time I spent advising you in that thread as valuable but hope that it was useful to someone else who actually ended up playing Project 1999.

You have an inflated view of yourself OP and what you are capable of. I suggest you stop trying to make fun of other games and gamers and try to find satisfaction by playing the games you can enjoy and stop worrying about what others are doing with their free time. At least I can honestly say that I play games each day and enjoy myself and I definitely do not need validation of my hobby on these forums and definitely not from the likes of you.
                                    Well said

Well this alone made the thread worth it Thx ......OP ...........   :smile:
    MrMelGibson
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Whenever I think he can't get more outrageous, he finds ways to surprise me. Keep the laughs coming, buddy. :joy:

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

Torval said:
    Hariken said:
    This site is not really a full mmo site is the reason most have left. It used to be when it launched but not anymore. They are mostly an RPG site that talks about mmo's also.
    If it only talked about MMOs, it wouldn't have much to talk about anymore.
    I think readership expectations here have been unrealistic for a long time. People want news of new MMOs annually or even more frequently, as if they're just single player titles. MMOs do release or update like that.

People want their MMOs to last, but they want to see a new crop annually and they want them to be popular, but they only want to play one game. Such diametrically opposed expectations are kind of silly.
    Wait, wut? Its true I only want to play one game at a time, all I want to find is a game like EVE that I can enjoy for the next 5 years or so .

I am even willing to continuously pay for it throughout,  but at fair spending caps for all, such as $30 a month.  Heck, I'll even buy an annual expansion as well.

Design it to support multi boxing and I'll likely pay for more than one account.

Not an unreasonable ask.

;)
    AlBQuirkyMrMelGibson

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:
    There may be a "large silent majority" of MMORPG players out there, but Pantheon isn't necessarily going to be the game they are looking for.
    So much this. It's like the OP thinks that ALL old MMORPG players liked the same exact games.  I'm watching Pantheon, but don't expect to jump on board if it ever releases. Heck, I backed City of Titans on kickstarter and wonder if I'll even enjoy that "City of Heroes successor."
    I think @Kyleran was trying a Jedi mind trick ;)
    And here I am, late to the party and weak-minded as well! :lol:
    [Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    I started playing these games back before they were even a thing and the Internet was barely known.  Were the games that were released  prior to 2003 good games.  Sure, EverQuest, Asheron's Call, DAoC, SWG pre-NGE, were all great games in their own right...that doesn't mean that modern games aren't as well made or fun to play.  I loved playing Blade and Soul....great game, just too much of a grind at higher levels.  BDO is fun though I just can't get past the art style and the animations - doesn't mean the game is bad.  Love ESO, best MMORPG I've played in ages.

And everyone that knows me from back in the day knows I am very critical of these games, and yet even I see that some of these games are as good if not better in some areas than the games of old.  I'd love to play an updated version of SWG pre-NGE - don't see that happening any time soon though...in the mean time there are games like GW2, WoW, B&S, ESO that fit the bill and have provided many hundreds of hours of good game play.  If you aren't able to stop thinking you're some kind of elitist old school MMORPG vet - that's not the makers of these games fault - that's your own.  Even I learned to look at things from a new perspective over the years and realized that there are different ways for these games to be made and they don't all have to play like the ones that came before them.  Besides - life is too short, and it takes ages for these games to get made.  Be grateful that they are even made considering the amount of effort, time, and money it takes to see a game like this come to be.
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirkyMrMelGibsonBruceYee
    Meh, I am an old school MMORPG elitist, PC master race no less, and I just won't play games that aren't to my very specific tastes.

Fortunately there is Fallout NV and 4, most fun I've had in recent years and the npcs / companions are more social than most human players in MMOs today.

;)
    AlBQuirkyMrMelGibson

Teala said:
    I started playing these games back before they were even a thing and the Internet was barely known.  Were the games that were released  prior to 2003 good games.  Sure, EverQuest, Asheron's Call, DAoC, SWG pre-NGE, were all great games in their own right...that doesn't mean that modern games aren't as well made or fun to play.  I loved playing Blade and Soul....great game, just too much of a grind at higher levels.  BDO is fun though I just can't get past the art style and the animations - doesn't mean the game is bad.  Love ESO, best MMORPG I've played in ages.

And everyone that knows me from back in the day knows I am very critical of these games, and yet even I see that some of these games are as good if not better in some areas than the games of old.  I'd love to play an updated version of SWG pre-NGE - don't see that happening any time soon though...in the mean time there are games like GW2, WoW, B&S, ESO that fit the bill and have provided many hundreds of hours of good game play.  If you aren't able to stop thinking you're some kind of elitist old school MMORPG vet - that's not the makers of these games fault - that's your own.  Even I learned to look at things from a new perspective over the years and realized that there are different ways for these games to be made and they don't all have to play like the ones that came before them.  Besides - life is too short, and it takes ages for these games to get made.  Be grateful that they are even made considering the amount of effort, time, and money it takes to see a game like this come to be.
    I agree! I'm not saying new MMOs are "horrible games", just that they no longer appeal to me as a whole. I wish one MMORPG could create a game based on a functioning, believable world without all the button mashing action combat. I miss chatting in a group while fighting :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited January 2018
    Kyleran said:
    Meh, I am an old school MMORPG elitist, PC master race no less, and I just won't play games that aren't to my very specific tastes.

Fortunately there is Fallout NV and 4, most fun I've had in recent years and the npcs / companions are more social than most human players in MMOs today.

;)
    You my friend need to give Divinity:Original Sin 2 and Xcom2 a go.  Followed by replaying them with mods!
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • linadragonlinadragon Member RarePosts: 589
    Scot said:
    I actually think we have many old school posters on the site, as shown when MMO recently became a ubiquitous term for any co-op game then any persistent online world.

I have to say as well that the "fashion players" are playing some of the best MMOs we have, ESO, FF14 etc. There is not a AAA old school MMO still running. So we play what we can.
    There are a lot of old school posters. I'm probably one of the longest playing (without getting jaded) mmorpg players that is still around the genre generally speaking myself (I've been around since the beginning of the genre and was around for MUDs and the like before hand) I was younger then and have watched the genre both evolve and devolve in certain ways.

The OP here needs to realize that those "core' types that he thinks he needs to push for are no longer the reality. Games can't scrape by on what they used to and still do well enough to get made. Gaming has gone mainstream and it isn't just "fashion" players that play these newer MMORPGs. I've been around a long time and I enjoy alot of the newer stuff that comes out still.

I do think we could look at both developing systems further to be deeper, but I also think we need to make them easy enough to understand. OP is the type that thinks somehow trying to keep to that old stubborn demographic somehow makes his opinion more justified or right vs others and quite frankly it doesn't at all. I was around for these core games, I've been around and I know what a lot of these game systems were like and a lot of it is just nostalgia at this point that keeps players there.

EQ still has many good systems, but it never peaked over 500k players. 
    PhryAlBQuirky
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Scot said:
    I actually think we have many old school posters on the site, as shown when MMO recently became a ubiquitous term for any co-op game then any persistent online world.

I have to say as well that the "fashion players" are playing some of the best MMOs we have, ESO, FF14 etc. There is not a AAA old school MMO still running. So we play what we can.
    There are a lot of old school posters. I'm probably one of the longest playing (without getting jaded) mmorpg players that is still around the genre generally speaking myself (I've been around since the beginning of the genre and was around for MUDs and the like before hand) I was younger then and have watched the genre both evolve and devolve in certain ways.

The OP here needs to realize that those "core' types that he thinks he needs to push for are no longer the reality. Games can't scrape by on what they used to and still do well enough to get made. Gaming has gone mainstream and it isn't just "fashion" players that play these newer MMORPGs. I've been around a long time and I enjoy alot of the newer stuff that comes out still.

I do think we could look at both developing systems further to be deeper, but I also think we need to make them easy enough to understand. OP is the type that thinks somehow trying to keep to that old stubborn demographic somehow makes his opinion more justified or right vs others and quite frankly it doesn't at all. I was around for these core games, I've been around and I know what a lot of these game systems were like and a lot of it is just nostalgia at this point that keeps players there.

EQ still has many good systems, but it never peaked over 500k players. 
    Ive been playing MMO's for such a long time now, that its hard to remember what it was like before they existed, but your right, the original Everquest was in its time extremely popular, as someone who was hooked on it for several years i think the term Evercrack was appropriate, but those were such different times, if a new game launched today with Everquests peak numbers, it would likely be classed as a failure, MMO's have evolved and in doing so they have become more mainstream, while a few players are still playing those now really old games, they are such a small fraction of the whole that they can almost be classed as a rounding error, there are plenty of players around who played those old games, it is amusing to me however that the assumption is that 'old school' players wouldn't enjoy playing modern games, like that was somehow against the rules or something. So yes, i've been playing MMO's for over a decade, i hope that i can still say the same in another decade, and that is that i actually like many of the 'Good' modern games, just don't get me started on EA and Activision! (shakes fist!) :p
    [Deleted User]AlBQuirky
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Kyleran said:

;)
    You're beginning to sound like Sean! Don't go to the dark side....
    KyleranAlBQuirkyMrMelGibsonCryomatrix
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Millennials don't have the patience to play slow progression, old school MMOs. They need their instant gratification gaming where they can just pop in, get their fix after 20 mins and pop out. 

If you really need to find a culprit, it's the internet itself and all the social, cultural changes it brings with it.

Don't slam the millennials for having ADHD and ruining our MMOs, it's not their fault. This was inevitable and will only get worse with time as the internet becomes more and more pervasive.

Old farts like myself who played the first or second generation MMOs just quit the genre because the games no longer deliver the goods: that sense of satisfaction you got from reaching goals that were time consuming and not even necessarily always fun.
    edited January 2018
    Kyleran said:

;)
    You my friend need to give Divinity:Original Sin 2 and Xcom2 a go.  Followed by replaying them with mods!
    I believe both are on my wish list, but I've got their first versions to play through I think.
    MrMelGibson

I've been playing MMORPGs for over two decades (10 years before WoW), and I'm enjoying some newer games like ESO a lot.
    Thats because aliens replaced everyone in France with "pod" people about 10 years ago,  "everyone' knows that. 

;)

[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Kyleran said:
    I've been playing MMORPGs for over two decades (10 years before WoW), and I'm enjoying some newer games like ESO a lot.
    Thats because aliens replaced everyone in France with "pod" people about 10 years ago,  "everyone' knows that. 

;)

Are pod waiters rude and snobby?
    KyleranMrMelGibson

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Kyleran said:

;)

What are those "pod" people you're talking about?
    Are they like the Borg?
    Have we been assimilated?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pod_People_(Invasion_of_the_Body_Snatchers)

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Kyleran said:

;)

What are those "pod" people you're talking about?
    Are they like the Borg?
    Have we been assimilated?
    James T. Kirk could eat the Borg for breakfast chew them up and spit them out.  In fact they couldn't even be on the same show together that's how bad it would be !  

Sorry couldn't help it, only kidding :)
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited January 2018
    I just realized...

I guess I'm not playing real MMOs. In fact, they are an illusion. This got me thinking...is this the matrix? is anything real? When I play my chosen MMOs, I think I am playing an MMO...but is it actually REAL? Does it really exist? Or is it all in my mind and part of the machine?

Hmmm...maybe this thread is onto something....

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Get angry at something get angry at those who push out the crap before it is ready and blaming everyone but themselves.
    Who keeps supporting these games? I blame the consumer for not doing their duty. Or, if the consumers are happy with the state of things, keep on keepin' on :)
    [Deleted User]

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited January 2018
    OP's WTF count is up to 25. I could have only dreamed of numbers like that with my April 2015 thread titled R.I.P Joffery Baatheon 2011-2014 or this dandy from May 2017  Gnomes -Halflings-Little people Tolkien did it wrong  (Hilarious thread of lore rage)

GRATS OP

001.gif 994.6K
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    I believe both are on my wish list, but I've got their first versions to play through I think.
    @Kyleran The awesome part is that you don't have to play them in order.  Since both are not tied to the stories of the originals.

If you have a tablet,  I recommend playing the first Xcom there.  It comes with the Enemy Within expansion and is just a game perfectly adapted to a touch screen imo. 

Xcom2 is currently only available on PC.  But with the steam mods I wouldn't play it on anything else.  The mod community is as big as Skyrim's.  You can make very unique changes that will vastly change the overall game. Trust me, I have over 750+ hrs on steam :-) .

If you decide to play the first Divinity before the sequel.  If for some reason you dont like it, be open minded about the sequel.  This is one of those rare moments where the sequel outshines the original (same can be said about Xcom2). 
    Kyleran[Deleted User]laserit