Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

most-of-the-real-mmo-players-are-gone-from-this-site

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    The irony OP is , i believe the majority of this community are vet MMO players (and yes real  MMO players)
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    IIBH the only reason I'm on this site anymore is for threads like this one. 
    delete5230PottedPlant22
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I may not be a real MMORPG player, but I'm real gamer and I don't want to play some trash game because of some other guys old ass nostalgia of bad/dated mechanics.

Shout out to your record number of WTFs though. That's amazing.
    delete5230JeffSpicoliKyleranSector13FirstKnight117MrMelGibsonCryomatrix
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    In this free to play era, the "large majority" gets mostly ignored because they won't pay any money, anyway.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Nah we still here. Just sick of the same old gear dungeon raid shit. Waiting on games like CU.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    See..........Most of you are fashion players here (BDO,ESO,FF14,SWTOR)...... Very few of the "majority" are sticking around.  

Are we?
    By all means, please continue.
    grimalMrMelGibson
  • RhimeRhime Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Developers are making mmorpgs easy because they "think" it appeals to everyone.  

The "large majority" being mmoprg players are gone from this site, leaving all the fashion players here (BDO,ESO,FF14,SWTOR)...... Very few of the "majority" are sticking around.  

It's like this: 
    Most of the high school senior class stopped going to school because it turned easy and boring.  The few that are sticking it out like to play football.  But second graders have taken over the high school and they want to play a simple game of kick ball. 

The entire high school class that had stopped going is obviously STILL ALIVE, just not going to school. 

Important: 
    Who is to blame here ? 
    - The second graders will blame the seniors. 
    - The high school will blame the seniors.
    - The real answer is the high school....... It's imposable to prove !  

So why is this impossible to prove ?....... You can't poll the second graders, their second graders.  You can't poll the high school, they don't understand the change.  You can't poll the high school class, they are no where to be found !  

Since the "large majority" of real mmorpg players are gone, and no where to be found, any poll conducted would use the fashion players (BDO,ESO,FF14,SWTOR).  

This is why Pantheon will be big............ The "large majority" are still alive, there just pushed to the side, millions of them.  If you see one please offer them a cup of coffee, it's cold !!!! 

Eloquently put! I totally agree except for the Pantheon part...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    See..........Most of you are fashion players here (BDO,ESO,FF14,SWTOR)...... Very few of the "majority" are sticking around.  

Are we?
    By all means, please continue.
    Interesting trivia fact, OP never played any of the old school games.

His ideas of "difficult" and challenging gameplay is based on his time in vanilla WOW and Vanguard. 

As someone mentioned, he gave P1999 his first shot a few months ago and flamed out in a few weeks.

Guess he's really just a fashion gamer or something. 

;)
    ConstantineMerusGorweimmodiumMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    edited January 2018
    Well, games for me are about creating a character I like to play and look at. Be it male or female, it depends how they are in-game. I never play anyone muscular, so most males are designed that way. But WoW had awesome males that weren't the typical muscular model (for some races)

But I wonder if he'll like my ultra fashion just out of the salon black desert online character :P

I present to you...

Presenting....

the ultimate fashion MMORPG model...

Post edited by TheScavenger on
    Scotdelete5230GorweTsiyabcbullyMrMelGibson

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:

When I discuss the revival of Classic WOW, Pantheon or CU my son and his friends listen with mild interest.....then go off to play Overwatch....
    This is why I believe people should beat their kids! ;)

Gamers have changed, but not that much really. When DAoC launched, a friend of mine had a gaming cafe and it was the biggest one in the city. We were so excited about DAoC that we bought like 20 accounts and installed them in 1 room, so we could get more kids interested in the game. 

Hundreds of people tried it, maybe a thousand. Some even played it for a day. But out of all them lads, only 1 person bought the game and kept playing. Others preferred CS os Q3A. 

I used to be a Q3A pro and my mates made fun of me for playing EVE. 

What I believe is the amount of RPG lovers has increased overall, but we're just forming a smaller percentage of total number of gamers. Because other games always had a larger fanbase. 

And yes, games like The Witcher 3 get really popular. But only a small percentage of people actually finish the game. Achievements from PSN or Steam gives you the right idea what's going on. 

laseritMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited January 2018
    Kyleran said:
    There may be a "large silent majority" of MMORPG players out there, but Pantheon isn't necessarily going to be the game they are looking for.
    So much this. It's like the OP thinks that ALL old MMORPG players liked the same exact games.  I'm watching Pantheon, but don't expect to jump on board if it ever releases. Heck, I backed City of Titans on kickstarter and wonder if I'll even enjoy that "City of Heroes successor."

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:
    There may be a "large silent majority" of MMORPG players out there, but Pantheon isn't necessarily going to be the game they are looking for.
    So much this. It's like the OP thinks that ALL old MMORPG players liked the same exact games.  I'm watching Pantheon, but don't expect to jump on board if it ever releases. Heck, I backed City of Titans on kickstarter and wonder if I'll even enjoy that "City of Heroes successor."
    I think @Kyleran was trying a Jedi mind trick ;)
    "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
    [Deleted User]GorweMrMelGibson
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited January 2018
    I certainly am part of the "old school" crowd. I don't post much as there simply isn't much to talk about due to the games that interest me taking a long time to release such as Pantheon, Camelot Unchained, Project Gorgon and the like.

I'm actually excited for the variety of mmorpgs that are likely to successfully release that call themselves old school influenced and also largely anti-cash shop. They are just taking their sweet ass time to develop.

There are only so many things to bitch about before every conversation gets stale so taking a break for the most part until positive topics arise within the genre we once loved.
    BLNXdelete5230Tsiya

You stay sassy!

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Gorwe said:
    So...now I'm an MMO fashionista. Lovely, just lovely. <3

It depends on your history.  Do you like to play in playground games ?  

ESO, FF14, GW2, BDO if so yes.
    edited January 2018
    This guy wants it even easer, where does it end :)

<quote>
    What is the best MMO that you can just jump onto and go? By this, i mean that i can play for an hour and make some achievements. I like the dungeon finder for WoW. Are there any games that do this better? I like GW2 but it is not the easiest to just jump into a dungeon or mist. 

Does anyone have any ideas?   

Have you even watched the Family Guy episode where Peter buys a crossword puzzle book where the puzzles are already done ?
    Well, games for me are about creating a character I like to play and look at. Be it male or female, it depends how they are in-game. I never play anyone muscular, so most males are designed that way. But WoW had awesome males that weren't the typical muscular model (for some races)

But I wonder if he'll like my ultra fashion just out of the salon black desert online character :P

I present to you...

Presenting....

Asian games should be right up your alley, Lineage 2, Tera, Final Fantasy and some others had several races of androgynous male avatars which fit your preference.

bcbullyMrMelGibson

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    edited January 2018

I present to you...

Presenting....

BDO isn't the ultimate fashion MMORPG. Phantasy Star Online 2 is, or as people call it Space Waifu Simulator. The game even has a green screen and blue screen item to take shots like that.

PhryMrMelGibson
    edited January 2018
    Gorwe said:

I'm curious, what MMORPG does one have to be playing to not qualify as a fashionista.   What game are you playing for that matter.

How about me, "I don't often play MMORPGS, but when I do, I play EVE" (being the 2nd most interesting man in the world) ;)

Not playing one right now, but for the first half of 2017 I played classic rules DAOC, am I a "real" gamer?

BTW, I dont play any of those 4 games you mentioned as I dislike their action style combat,  a bit "too difficult" for me to deal with considering my reflexes and lack of attention.

AlBQuirkyMrMelGibson

Kyleran said:
    Gorwe said:

I'm curious, what MMORPG does one have to be playing to not qualify as a fashionista.   What game are you playing for that matter.

How about me, "I don't often play MMORPGS, but when I do, I play EVE" (being the 2nd most interesting man in the world) ;)

Not playing one right now, but for the first half of 2017 I played classic rules DAOC, am I a "real" gamer?

BTW, I dont play any of those 4 games you mentioned as I dislike their action style combat,  a bit "too difficult" for me to deal with considering my reflexes and lack of attention.

This one is easy, your a true mmorpg player. I knew this all along.  

Not that qualify as a fashionista ?..... None, even the classics.  A few emulator games and maybe EVE, but I never played that one.
    MrMelGibson
  • TsiyaTsiya Member UncommonPosts: 280
    edited January 2018
    error multipost

Let's see, old school games I love = UO, SWG, DAoC. I also played BDO for many moons. Does that make me a high schooler who went back to second grade? Joined the site in 2006 but I only post if I have something to contribute to the conversation. I'm making an exception for this post as the confusion is just glorious!

My BDO fashionista. Not much on action combat normally but I really enjoyed this one. Still waiting for a true sandbox that combines the character building of my beloved old school games with modern graphics and engine. Currently playing PoE because I want the freedom to build my character the way I want to.

edited January 2018
    error doublepost

Scot said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Kyleran said:
    I think @Kyleran was trying a Jedi mind trick ;)
    "The Force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded."
    Hey, are you a "real" Scotsman? ;)

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

Ok, I don't think I've ever used my join date for bragging rights before but if you check you will see I joined in February of 2005.  I see that that the OP joined in 2007.  So, delete5230, does that make me better than you?

And besides, aren't you the guy who was all gung-ho to play project 99 and then when you got it set up you didn't even last a week?  I mean, I bitch about the fact that I'm sure Pantheon will be too "no-life" for me but even I have a level 55 character in P99. 

You talk about Pantheon like it will be the greatest thing ever but when given the chance to play the closest thing to it that exists currently.....you don't.

I think it is fine to have opinions about things. Even having an ego to post poorly written and thought out threads thinking they are the bomb is fine too. The problem is that the OP constantly has to take swipes at players of other games for the games they enjoy and brand them with stupid names he thinks are clever. He seems to be threatened by the very existence of other games and their player base and belittling them somehow is going to make their existence less valid in some way and less significant to the genre. How misguided is that ?

OP had the chance to actually put his money where his mouth is and he failed. He cannot play Everquest in its classic version of Project 1999 and his claim is that the game having no map bothered him. Probably that inconvenience completely defeated him. That and the lame excuse that he cannot properly devote the time the game deserves. Seriously you cannot find the time to play Project 1999 but you have time to come here daily and start your dumb threads and to check on them regularly. The reason is simple he chickened out and yet here he is making fun of other gamers and talking about being a real MMORPGamer. 

OP you have already proven aside from your inability to string proper sentences together and spell that you do not have the stamina to play the type of game you think you can, I seldom read your posts but thankfully the people who respond are coherent and interesting enough. At least you do generate discussion and in some cases here judging from the number of WTFs and LOLs you pile up each time they are entertained by you.

I was annoyed when I genuinely got taken in by your attempt to play Project 1999 and spent some of my valuable and yes I consider the time I spent advising you in that thread as valuable but hope that it was useful to someone else who actually ended up playing Project 1999.

You have an inflated view of yourself OP and what you are capable of. I suggest you stop trying to make fun of other games and gamers and try to find satisfaction by playing the games you can enjoy and stop worrying about what others are doing with their free time. At least I can honestly say that I play games each day and enjoy myself and I definitely do not need validation of my hobby on these forums and definitely not from the likes of you.
    BeansnBreadAmatheScorchiencheyaneMrMelGibson