Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Computer boot but not signal to monitor??

2»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Ridelynn said:
    Tough situation.

Motherboards still have beep codes, but cases &/or motherboards don't always come with the speaker anymore. The motherboard is turning on the PSU, but that's as far as it seems to be getting. It isn't cycling/rebooting.

I've seen that be a bad DIMM, a bad motherboard, a bad video card, a bad CPU, a bad monitor, a bad USB mouse, a lot of different things.

I think, given the situation your in, if you have access to another computer, it would be easier to pull parts out and verify they work in the second computer, than to take an entire non-working computer and try to deduce which parts are not working when it could be a large combination of parts that are broken.

When motherboards die, it's commonly because the PSU was bad in the first place, but most people just replace the motherboard and carry on (until motherboard #2 fries too, shortly thereafter). It's also not uncommon for RAM, video cards, and other components to die along with it - either because of the motherboard death, or also because they are getting bad power as well.

It could also be as easy as a bad cable to the monitor, or the monitor is dead, as stupid as that sounds.
    Not all does and the number of things they beep for have gone down a lot.

My rather new ASUS X-99E did not beep when I had problems installing the ram (for some reason did I have to shuffle them around several times before everything worked). And yes, it did look exactly as OPs problem (which doesn't mean he have it but it is certainly possible). 

It do have a inboard speaker and beeps on POST but nothing for Ram. I miss my old A-BIT cards with Phoenix BIOS... :( They always told me the exact problem with beeps.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited January 2018
    1.) Buy an ASUS ROG Motherboard, I wouldn't really recommend anything else, they come with the status indicator on I think all of the ones I have used.

2.) Use one ram Module to test, some boards older ones have a specific bank they have to be in one older board had B1, if not inserted properly it won't boot (Likely not for most newer models though.)

3.) If the motherboard has a beep speaker, but your case doesn't have one pull one out of an old case temporary plug it in to see if it post and stuff.

https://turbofuture.com/computers/What-a-CPU-Does-When-It-Goes-Bad-or-Fails

Hard to say what the issue is without me being right in front of it and seeing the damage?

. You say a transistor shorted out, got any pictures?

. Did you hold a high powered LED Flashlight under the board and check the pathways of the circuit where the transistor shorted out?

.Perhaps if anything the power supply was the cause of the short if such, and could mess up the new one too?

Did you fully clean your cpu, and inspect it for damages pins that looked damaged, smell inside your old board depending on if AMD / Intel?

And by transistor are we talking about those little things, the capacitors,  or the mosfet, there are many different types hard to say what the damage can be without checking everything very carefully...
    Robsolf
  • ecinevecinev Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Oks, my ram sticks.

1x Avant 4GB 1333 10600 - PD512M5416V79DD2J I5E
    3x Hynix 2GB 1333 10600 - HMT125U6BFR8C

I have done some tests
    1. tried running it without any RAM. No POST, video output and no beep notification. Mobo, system and CPU Fans all running.

2. Reconnected all power cables fully and correctly

3. only one RAM module and running it then

I noticed

1. No initial beep to say PC is booting up
    2. No warning beeps to notify me if RAM, CPU etc are missing.
    3. Mouse does not show tracking light (Infra-red) when started up

Ok, to answer Renoaku it was a Mofest.
  • DarkluvDarkluv Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Do you ever get to see the POST screen where you can enter the BIOS?

If so, you may need to update the motherboards BIOS. The RAM from your old board might not be compatible, but a BIOS update could fix it.

Do you get video if you attached your monitor to the onboard video instead of the discrete GPU?
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    To me i would take those as a sign that the CPU is fried. As your mobo died then it entirely probable that your cpu died at the same time, your only hope is that the GPU is not also fried, either way it is time to buy a new CPU.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Phry said:
    To me i would take those as a sign that the CPU is fried. As your mobo died then it entirely probable that your cpu died at the same time, your only hope is that the GPU is not also fried, either way it is time to buy a new CPU.
    Yeah or just buy a new computer and add the old drives to the new system for additional storage.  Now a days they just start replacing stuff until it works again which can be costly and time consuming.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Well the CPU could be dead, but it could also be the power supply, I mean did he at least plug in a power supply tester and test the power supply voltages first to make sure it wasn't this?

You don't need any hard-drives to post.

If the Motherboard has an internal graphics card, remove the graphics card too, plug everything in, remove the bios battery, use the switch on the back to turn off the power supply so everything resets each time.

Rotate one stick of memory between all ram module slots and power it on and off using the power supply switch in the back so the BIOS / UEFI resets each time?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA50M6R40521&cm_re=power_supply_tester-_-1W9-0005-00196-_-Product

Robsolf
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    edited January 2018
    Without some kind of clear indicator on the board, it's hard to tell.  But it's a 90% chance at least that you have bad hardware.  BASE hardware.  If you stripped it down to the mobo, cpu, and memory, then I suspect at least 1 of those 3 components is hosed.  If you want to play around some more with video and system drive, that's your choice.  Renoaku's suggestion to swap out ram sticks makes sense.  But don't assume that if it didn't fix the problem, that the memory is okay.  Just no way of knowing.  A mobo is 6 year old Helen Keller without CPU and memory.  but if it had a code indicator you'd at least know for 100% certain if it was posting or not.

On the ROG mobo's... I conservatively agree.  That's what I've got, and I do like it alot.  But I had some issues in the beginning with my base hardware that may have been due to a DOA mobo.  Fortunately I bought it all through Newegg and they were SAINTS throughout my build.  They came through several times.

Post edited by Robsolf on
    Ridelynn
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Once you get an electrical short it could have went anywhere and you would need proper diagnostic testing.  IMO.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

ecinev said:
    Oks, my ram sticks.

1x Avant 4GB 1333 10600 - PD512M5416V79DD2J I5E
    3x Hynix 2GB 1333 10600 - HMT125U6BFR8C

I have done some tests
    1. tried running it without any RAM. No POST, video output and no beep notification. Mobo, system and CPU Fans all running.

2. Reconnected all power cables fully and correctly

3. only one RAM module and running it then

I noticed

1. No initial beep to say PC is booting up
    2. No warning beeps to notify me if RAM, CPU etc are missing.
    3. Mouse does not show tracking light (Infra-red) when started up

Ok, to answer Renoaku it was a Mofest.
    Well, it ain't the ram then.

One thing to check is that you don't have anything short circuting the board from behind it, if one of those things you screw in the box to get a thread for the screws is in the wrong hole that would mess things up, or any other junk that got stuck there (like a lost screw). I seen it happen, in that case it started to work once the thread had been moved.

It ain't the PSU either, you should at least get a POST if it was underpowered and since it can spin the fans it isn't dead.

It ain't the GFX card, you would still get the POST beep and hear you harddrive start then. Also, the fans would not stop after a while. Of course the GFX card could also be dead but it isn't what stops the computer from posting.

That leaves 2 options (assuming you checked what I said above first):

1. You got a faulty new motherboard. Happens rather often, the first ASUS X-99E card I got for my latest build didn't work at all (but the fans started for 15 seconds when I hit start).

2. Fried CPU.

I suspect the first thing, I seen it many times and it actually is the expensive brands I seen it most with but it happens more often then I wish with all of them. It is certainly possible to kill a CPU but it is rather uncommon.

The question is what to do, I opt for exchanging the board with the warranty unless you have a CPU that fit the same sockel you can try first.
  • stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519
    Try this, start the computer and let it post then cycle the power button on the monitor and see if that works.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Well i've been lucky on all my builds so far never gotten a DOA Board yet only had one board fail me because I made a mistake with the cooling system and it got too cold using cold plates caused the MOSFET to fail due to condensation but otherwise i've never had a system board fail so far other than that painful mistake.
    Renoaku said:
    Well i've been lucky on all my builds so far never gotten a DOA Board yet only had one board fail me because I made a mistake with the cooling system and it got too cold using cold plates caused the MOSFET to fail due to condensation but otherwise i've never had a system board fail so far other than that painful mistake.
    I gotten one myself but also a couple of the ones I built for friends, those Chinese cards A-Bit stupidly bought and put their brand on for instance, my store got 100 cards and zero of them worked (which is a shame, killed A-Bit that was known for least failure before that). It have been other brands as well, a Gigabyte and a MSI card as well.

ASUS had some cards that had over 30% failure rate 15 years ago due to badly made capacitors. I replaced 3 of those cards for my friends, 2 of them run 3 & 6 months before dying though, the last was DOA and the guy who built the computer couldn't got it to work.

The thing is that in the 90s the cards were more expensive and better tested but when the prices dropped 15 years or so ago quality went down the drain. A friend of mine worked on assembling motherboards and they thought 3% faulty cards were good.

Most cards still work as intended and with a little luck you can build a few hundred PCs and have no problem at all. And it is not that the cheap cards fail more often, my personal experience is just the opposite but I have just built 100 or so PCs and that is way too few to make any informed call.

Often several manufacturers buy the same components so several brand of cards can have a high failure rate at the same time.

Motherboards is the most common bad components followed by ram and then GFX cards. PSUs are not uncommon either, there it is usually the cheap ones and Sata/Ide drives dies rather often. CPUs are rare but I once replaced a friends P4 CPU that had a single of bad byte of cash making it crash randomly, took me 2 days to find that little problem.

Shit happens. :)
    RidelynnRobsolf
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Loke666 said:
    Renoaku said:
    I gotten one myself but also a couple of the ones I built for friends, those Chinese cards A-Bit stupidly bought and put their brand on for instance, my store got 100 cards and zero of them worked (which is a shame, killed A-Bit that was known for least failure before that). It have been other brands as well, a Gigabyte and a MSI card as well.

A shame is an understatement.  ABIT and Celeron got me a fast PC for 6 years for very little money in the late 90's, early 2000's.  Full pentium speeds guaranteed for half the price, all with a basic cooler.  I later upgraded to a celeron 566 to get to 850mhz with next to no effort.  A golden age for hardware, IMO.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but ABIT instantly gets me thinking back to a much more managable time...
    Loke666
    Robsolf said:
    A shame is an understatement.  ABIT and Celeron got me a fast PC for 6 years for very little money in the late 90's, early 2000's.  Full pentium speeds guaranteed for half the price, all with a basic cooler.  I later upgraded to a celeron 566 to get to 850mhz with next to no effort.  A golden age for hardware, IMO.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but ABIT instantly gets me thinking back to a much more managable time...
    You and me both, ASUS and MSI had nothing on those cards... But then some smart@ss CEO decides to buff sales by slapping the brand on a cheap Shanghai made card and kills the whole brand by that. I used A-BIT cards for as long as I could.

They also were really generous with ports, my last had 8 regular SATA ports and 3 eSATA with all the cables to it included. 
    Robsolf